Red campaign, items listed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^ :lol:

i can't go tonight :( there is wind chill and storm advisory alert. apparently visibility is very low... dont wanna go lest i get into an accident and can't come to Pleba anymore!
:giggle:

I love the Converse as well, but I read somewhere that they will be around 300 dollars, which I find a bit too overpriced. I don't mind paying a bit extra, but 250 dollars extra for a pair of shoes?? Can anybody confirm what the price for those shoes will be??

Actually, the Converse are retailed closer to $395 U.S. - for as much as I support this idea, I can't afford that much for any pair of shoes!

How about everyone just sending your money DIRECTLY TO THE GLOBAL FUND and bypass the profits that these companies will make off the RED products?

More money going directly to the world's poorest people when you simply send in a donation to the Global Fund. :wink:

Makes sense to me.

But if you have to get a product in order to support the Global Fund, then buy RED.

Here's the site for the Global Fund:

http://www.theglobalfund.org

Check them out. :yes:

I want to get something to, but everything is probaly expensive and I live on a budget.

I'm generally a big fan of Converse aesthetically, but I think those shoes are horrendously overpriced and somewhat unattractive too.
I'm not going to be able to bring myself to shop at Gap either, even if it is for a good cause. I can't equate the two in my mind, so i'll be going with Jamila's suggestion.
The American Express card seems like a good idea though - i'll try and encourage the folks to sign up, for sure.

verte76 said:
I actually can't buy any of this stuff either, it's way too expensive.

this stuff is definitely geared towards people with money! (i guess not the average die-hard fans). but then again, there are plenty of people out there with that kind of dough to spend that can in the meanwhile be donating to a good cause. So still a good idea.

I was thinking of getting some red high-top converse at regular price and using a nice $1.50 black permanent marker and write U2 on the upper outside of each shoe. (Or get white converse and write U2 in red) That will actually make them "originals". Kind of a fun feeling knowing you are carring a little U2 logo item hidden under your discount jeans. :wink:
If I feel like splurging on a good cause I think I will take the route of donating directly to the organizations and let them get 100% of what I want them to have.

Last edited:
actually, i went down to the Gap store at the mall and they said they dont have them yet!! well, one male store attendant said they weren't out yet here in the US, but one lady attendant was like "What are you talking about, ma'am?? What's the red campaign?? whos Bono?"

:madwife:

I ignored her... :evil:

I don't think we should be too critical of the products or prices just yet. It seems like the whole thing is a very new idea and they're just in the beginning stages. Red has to get other companies on board for this campaign for it to work. Unlike EDUN, Bono and his people are not the ones creating these products and setting prices. The way I understand it, Converse, Gap, AmEx, etc are willing to make these special-issue items available for the purpose of this campaign. If those are the only companies willing to do so at this point, there's not a whole lot else the Red folks can do but market these items and push for support so that other companies will slowly take the hint and we'll have more products.

I think it's a great idea, maybe a better one than EDUN since it will reach into much larger market segments and the products will be more accessible.

ETA: I did submit feedback though and suggested Coca-Cola. They are my favorite company. They do so much good in parts of the world most of us have never even heard of. What's more RED than Coke?!?!

Last edited:
i agree that we should wait and see what happens. but i think it's good that you submitted feedback, livluv.

it's not as if red created the concept of conscious consumerism. the pink campaign and susan komen breast cancer foundation has been artound for a while and inclues tons of affordable products.

i think people who support this concept are exactly the ones who SHOULD be critical.

I did submit feedback though and suggested Coca-Cola. They are my favorite company. They do so much good in parts of the world most of us have never even heard of. What's more RED than Coke?!?! [/B]

Coca Cola, great idea~ ! :up:

I also submitted feedback, and actually suggested the Band-Aid brand.
They could make special red bandaids, or have a red heart on the bandaid. Mom's are the primary buyers. Bandaid conveys different messages such as healing, protecting, caring, and of course the word "aid" is in the brand name, mom's can tell kids why the special design on the bandaid, etc........ i guess you could go in all different directions with this one.

and the Band-Aid logo is RED, just by coincidence!

Miringeltje said:
Just saw this:

American Express RED card is launched at Harvey Nichols Department Store in London (by Elle Macpherson)

I like her shirt!
White with EMPOWE (RED) on it in (of course) red letters.

http://www.abacausa.com/ximagi/sear...department store - London&assignment_id=28061

tshirt.jpg

sorry the picture is not very big.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom