Quotes on their friendship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
We all know and admire their strong bond, but does anyone have any quotes on that?

The only thing I can remember is from VH1 Legends, when Larry said (during AB's making) that he'd rather sacrifice the band than the friendship.

The other is similar, on CNN's Worldbeat, when Edge says "I never thought we'd be around for this long, but we have and I think it's great."
Bono *with a grin* "Gonna make me cry now..."
Both laugh and Edge pats Bono's leg in a friendly matter.

Two of my favorite quotes are from Bill Flannagan's book "U2-At the End of the World"-

"I could tell stories of times each of the others has been there for me," Edge says at dinner one night. "I mean, there have been periods when Adam and I didn't particularly get along, over the years. Yet when I left Aislinn I moved into Adam's." Edge, who is rarely inarticulate or sentimental, has a little trouble getting the next words out: "I suppose that the other three are the closest friends I have." p.15

We are eventually deposited at a fancy,multi-level restaurant/disco in what seems to be the happening part of town. Adam,Bono, Edge and Larry grab a table together and sit laughing and talking for a couple of hours. McGuiness, at the next table, points out that one of the most unusual things about U2 is that the four of them still prefer each others' company to anyone else's, and after so many years stuck together they still have no shortage of things to philosophize, laugh, and bust each other's balls about. p.134

There are several other examples throughout the book of how much they love each other, but these are the two that hit me hard & have really stuck in my mind. :cute: :heart:

"How many people really have friendships that have survived 20 years. I value it and think it's an amazing achievement."--Adam

"Individually we probably wouldn't have gone anywhere musically. Without any one of us, the fragile uniqueness and special quality of U2 would be gone forever."--Adam

"There is a love between the members of this band that is deeper than whatever comes between us. After almost 15 years, which would be time for a divorce in almost any relationship, we looked at each other and said 'lay down your amrs'." "People say 'Why don't you do interviews? What do you think about this? What do you think about that?' My job in the band is to play drums, to get up on stage and hold the band together. Thats what I do. At the end of the day thats all that important. Everything else is irrelevant."--Larry

I'm sure there's other Plebans who have quotes from Bono.

Edgespet said:

"I could tell stories of times each of the others has been there for me," Edge says at dinner one night. "I mean, there have been periods when Adam and I didn't particularly get along, over the years. Yet when I left Aislinn I moved into Adam's." Edge, who is rarely inarticulate or sentimental, has a little trouble getting the next words out: "I suppose that the other three are the closest friends I have." p.15
Edit cause i forgot to type everything :lol:
Is there a reason why I had tears in my eyes? I almost just cried readin that!

Last edited:
May not be a quote per se, but I think the song the band performed for Edge close to his birthday at Antwerp Elevation really says it all: I Love You.

Axver said:
May not be a quote per se, but I think the song the band performed for Edge close to his birthday at Antwerp Elevation really says it all: I Love You.

Yes that was so great to see (hear) that happening on the spot.
It was something special and i'm just very happy I was there.
They also played 'she's a mystery girl' by request that day :drool:

"Actually it's hard to find four people this good-looking who are willing
to write and record and perform together."
- Bono in 2001

:angel:

"I'm addicted too... I'm just addicted to being up here on this stage.
Adam, Larry Mullen Jr., and Edge.
They're my drug. Tonight I'm feeling high."
Bono- Tempe, Arizona

:love:

There was an excellent quote on their long friendship by Bono at the 2002 Grammy awards, but I don' t remember it verbatim. Do any of you have it?

Yeah, it is ^^^^. :).

U2girl said:
The only thing I can remember is from VH1 Legends, when Larry said (during AB's making) that he'd rather sacrifice the band than the friendship.

:yes:. I also loved when Larry was talking about how Bono helped him through his mom's death, and about how Bono's the only guy in the world he could take any crap from and all that, and when he was talking about how while the band would one day have to break up, he didn't want that special thing between the four of them to ever end (that part actually got me a little misty-eyed one time). Larry got kinda sentimental at times during that show...I liked that.

These other quotes are awesome as well. I like the one from Edge :cute: :hug: :edge:.

Angela

I don't have an exact quote but I always like the part in most concerts when Bono thanks Larry, Adam and the Edge for letting him be in their band!

I think that's a wonderful thing for Bono to say to his bandmates.:up:

I also like it when Bono thanks Larry for giving him his first job!

The bond of Friendship between the members of U2 is REALLY AWESOME and something which inspires me everyday to do my best to be the same kind of person to others. :yes:

Thanks, U2girl, for starting this thread! :applaud:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY!:bono: :heart: :heart: ;) :hug:

not a quote, but a really cute pic :)

664ed01e.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Quotes on their friendship?

Aw, that is a cute picture. :).

kellyahern said:
He did, didn't he :cute: Like some of the other Plebans have said, Larry acts like mr.toughguy, but I suspect he's a bit of a marshmellow at heart :hug:

:yes: :hug: :larry:.

Originally posted by Jamila
I don't have an exact quote but I always like the part in most concerts when Bono thanks Larry, Adam and the Edge for letting him be in their band!

I think that's a wonderful thing for Bono to say to his bandmates.:up:

That is cool. All this appreciation and respect they have for each other...it's very sweet.

Angela

greety said:

Yes that was so great to see (hear) that happening on the spot.
It was something special and i'm just very happy I was there.
They also played 'she's a mystery girl' by request that day :drool:

You were there?! Oh wow, how I envy you! That would've been so amazing, just watching them come up with that on the spot!

And no, I don't have anything more to contribute to this thread, sorry ... just expressing that bit of envy ...

(Actually, I had a really good quote but I forgot it, grr!)

Here is one I like from the Edge's dad:
"They did grow up together. They have their differences sometimes, sure, just like any family would. But the rough edges have rubbed off against each other. They are an extended family to each other now and I must say they've stuck to it very well. And they're easy guys to get on with, too. They're not the same; they complement each other. They're a good team."

There is another quote from Bono that I really love, talking about Adam, but I haven't been able to find it! Maybe I should start saving these things!

Not really a quote, but I liked how Bono introduced them each night on the last tour. :)

;)

From the book BONO IN HIS OWN WORDS:

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed.
Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight!
"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will beduring this number.'
So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind.
When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

:cute: :heart:

Last edited:
I've heard that one in several places. That is a good one, another one of my favorites. Makes me smile everytime I read it. :)

Axver said:

You were there?! Oh wow, how I envy you! That would've been so amazing, just watching them come up with that on the spot!

And no, I don't have anything more to contribute to this thread, sorry ... just expressing that bit of envy ...

(Actually, I had a really good quote but I forgot it, grr!)

Yep, I sure was :p but I think these guys just make every show special, maybe not with new songs but in the way they play or refer to special happenings or events.
In Cologne he talked about Herman Brood who had jumped off the Hilton the day before but I doubt if any of those germans knew who he was talking about.

I do remember now that Bono said after this birthday song (in Antwerp), that they were celebrating Edge's birthday the whole month LOL

Last edited:
When U2 was in Brazil in 1998, Adam said to MTV "We're a band, and as a band we have some fights, but we're also a family, it's a like marriage, and we don't know the divorce"
Larry was with him and he grined and Adam would just drink some water and stare at the interviewer :wink:

Joha_U2 said:
;)

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed.
Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, He was coming tonight!
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will beduring this number.'
So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind.
When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

I had forgotten all about this. This touched my heart more than anything I've ever read about U2. It just blows me away to think that these men love each other enough to be willing to put their lives on the line to protect each other. Amazing!

*tear*

^________________^

i've heard rumors, but is it true that they were going to break up before making ATYCLB? that would have been most unfortunate, and I'm SOOOO glad that they didn't.

ok seriously, i am crying right now, that is so sweet and it is an amazing achievement for them to still be so close and to still be writing great music. ok have to go and get tissues now.
:cute: :hug: thanks for sharing these

Joha_U2 said:
;)

I never heard this before! Thanks for posting it. To second Edgespet, it is incredible the love they have for each other after all these years. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Back
Top Bottom