Quotes on their friendship?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's really touching!

And the love and bond that they share in each other is missing from most bands nowadays... It's really heartwarming to see a band that has stuck together for so many years now... And they still love each other like family...

ladora said:
That's really touching!

And the love and bond that they share in each other is missing from most bands nowadays... It's really heartwarming to see a band that has stuck together for so many years now... And they still love each other like family...

True!, and when you think about it I cannot name one band other than U2 that has had the same members for so long, There is certainly lots of Love and respect between these men:cute:

1babyband2.jpg

2afca05d.jpg

Good to see this thread pop up again-it's nice to read these stories and quotes again, 'cause there's such sweet stuff here.

When U2 were being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame back in March, and Bono told that story about Adam protecting him during that one show, that was the first time the rest of my family had ever heard that story. And when they heard it, they all turned to me and were like, "Wow...". That definitely impressed them. Bless you, Adam :heart: :adam:.

That CNN thing they showed this weekend, and the band thread for this week where we're doing the early vs. recent pictures and all that, just reaffirmed for me how much these guys care about each other. The CNN thing said they'd been together almost 30 years. I mean, seriously...how often is it you'll find one person, let alone three people, that you can stick with for that long a time period? Truly amazing. But yet, also very wonderful-with all the crap that can go on in this world, it's really nice and refreshing to see such strong, loving bonds between humans still existing out there.

Angela

BonoFox1 said:

True!, and when you think about it I cannot name one band other than U2 that has had the same members for so long, There is certainly lots of Love and respect between these men:cute:

REM.

Bill Berry left the band more because he didn't like touring and, after his brain aneurysm, wanted to devote more time to his home life, not being he wasn't getting on with the rest of REM.

March 17, 2005. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

"But in the end the people who really got me here tonight and who I must thank for everything I have, are Ali, Ann, Morleigh, Suzie, Larry, Edge and Bono."

Adam Clayton

BonoFox1 said:
True!, and when you think about it I cannot name one band other than U2 that has had the same members for so long,

ZZ Top!

Still it's true, bands like these are the rare exception rather than the rule. Too many bands let their egos and the money get in the way and destroy the friendship.

Edgespet said:

I had forgotten all about this. This touched my heart more than anything I've ever read about U2. It just blows me away to think that these men love each other enough to be willing to put their lives on the line to protect each other. Amazing!

It is amazing and very touching,bless our boys :)

Rhia

When Bono and Ali was promoting the Edun label here in NYC earlier this year, a local (?) tv interviewer asked Bono about being in the band/leaving the band (I don't remember the exact question, but I do remember Bono's response...)

"I don't want to leave the band, U2 is my oxygen".-Bono

There's a great moment in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction that makes me tear up every time I watch it. It's a typical Bono-speech - long and a tad bit rambling. I hope I haven't mistyped any of it.

The biggest bodyguard of all has got to be our manager, Paul McGuinness.... The reason why no one in this band has "slave" scrawled on their face. Paul McGuinness, thank you very much.

I won't go on, but just three Kodak moments over twenty-five years that I'd like to share with you.

One: It's 1976, Larry Mullen's kitchen. It's about the size of the drum riser he uses now. There's a big, bright red - scarlet really - Japanese kit. And he's sitting behind it in his kitchen. And he's playing, and the ground shakes, and the sky opens up like Bruce was saying earlier. And it still does. But now I know why. I know why - because Larry Mullen cannot tell a lie. And his brutal honesty is something that we need in this band.

Second Kodak moment: It's 1982, Newhaven, I believe. Things are not going very well. There's a punk rock band on stage trying to play Bach. A fight breaks out - it's between the band. It's very, very messy. Now you look at this guitar genius. You look at this zen-like master that is the Edge and you hear those brittle, icy notes and you might be forgiven for not realizing that you cannot play like that unless you have a rage inside you. And, in fact, I had forgotten that on that particular night and he tried to break my nose. And I learned a very great lesson; do not pick a fight with somebody who, for a living, lives off hand-to-eye coordination. Not a good idea. Dangerous, dangerous man, The Edge.

Third Kodak moment: 1987, somewhere in the south. We've been campaigning for Dr. King, for his birthday to be a national holiday. In Arizona, they're saying no. We've been campaigning very, very hard for Dr. King. Some people don't like it. Some people get very annoyed. Some people want to kill the singer. Some people are taken very seriously by the FBI, and they tell the singer that he shouldn't play the gig because tonight is- his life is at risk and he must not go on the stage. The singer laughs. The signer is like "Fffsh!" You know, of course we're playing the gig, of course we going on stage. And I'm sitting- standing there, singing "Pride (In the Name of Love)" and I got to the third verse. I close my eyes and I know. I'm- I'm excited about meeting my maker, but maybe not tonight. I don't really want to meet my maker tonight. I close my eyes, and when I look up I see Adam Clayton standing in front of me holding his bass like only Adam Clayton can hold his bass. And you know there are people in this room who would tell you that they would take a bullet for you, but Adam Clayton would've taken a bullet for me. And I guess that's what it's like to be in a truly great rock and roll band.

Eidolon Bird said:
It's a typical Bono-speech - long and a tad bit rambling. I hope I haven't mistyped any of it.

Heh, if someone was going to share stories like the ones Bono shared, I'd let them ramble as long as they wanted to. So sweet.

I like the bit about Paul McGuinness. That guy seems like such a gem, seriously. Much respect for him.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
Heh, if someone was going to share stories like the ones Bono shared, I'd let them ramble as long as they wanted to. So sweet.

I like the bit about Paul McGuinness. That guy seems like such a gem, seriously. Much respect for him.

Oh, I certainly have no complaints about Bono rambling! He can talk as long as he wants and I'll always listen. (Typing up the rambling is a bit less enjoyable though.)

I had to include the bit about Paul. Not only is he a great guy who deserves the recognition, but it makes it a true PLEBA quote. Can't let the P fall off of PLEBA!

Eidolon Bird said:
...and I got to the third verse. I close my eyes and I know. I'm- I'm excited about meeting my maker, but maybe not tonight. I don't really want to meet my maker tonight. I close my eyes, and when I look up I see Adam Clayton standing in front of me holding his bass like only Adam Clayton can hold his bass. And you know there are people in this room who would tell you that they would take a bullet for you, but Adam Clayton would've taken a bullet for me. And I guess that's what it's like to be in a truly great rock and roll band.

You know, thats really touching but when I watched it for the time what really tugged at my heart is the look on Larry's face in the background.

Can I see this Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction somewhere on the net? Never heard their speeches before, and I would love to see Adam's. :)

o no! how do you view old news updates from u2.com? it's not on the menu anymore! anyway, they had the transcript of Bruce's, Bono's, Edge's, Larry's and Adam's speehes that night. But I guess there have been many many news updates on u2.com since then, and I don't know if it's still accessible. I really hope it is! man, i should have saved it! =(

carof_77 said:

You know, thats really touching but when I watched it for the time what really tugged at my heart is the look on Larry's face in the background.

I've only heard the speeches:(
Can someone clever please post some still of the look on Larry's face?

The link to the torrent of the entire Hall of Fame show can be found here.

U2Station has a transcript of their speeches here (wish I'd know about this before I set about typing up Bono's ramblings!)

And stills will show up as soon as I get one of my video programs to cooperate. Stupid computer.

Leetah said:
that almost brings me to tears....:sad:

I felt the same way when I watched it.You just dont find that kind of friendship in bands...and sometimes out of bands as well!

Eidolon Bird said:
The link to the torrent of the entire Hall of Fame show can be found here.

Thanks! I really have to take a close look on how these torrents work. :)
And... :bow: for the stills.. they're great!

Bibien - I would recomment the program BitTornado, as that's what I've been using for over a year. If you need any help, e-mail me at EidolonBird at gmail.com.

Moonlit_Angel said:
He looks like he's about to cry in the very first still shared here.
I love looking at all their faces-they're so happy, and yet so touched, so awed at making it this far.

Thanks for the stills, Eidolon Bird.

It's so much fun to watch the video, to see their expressions change from happy, to humble, to touched. Even Larry, try as he might to hide it behind that stoic facade.

You're all quite welcome! And just "Bird" is fine.

Last edited:
Eidolon Bird said:
Bibien - I would recomment the program BitTornado, as that's what I've been using for over a year. If you need any help, e-mail me at EidolonBird at gmail.com.

Thanks! I'll give it a try later! :up:

Back
Top Bottom