quite unusual U2 missed-opportunity story +need advice sending u2, stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
I've debated back & forth {like the US Open} whether to post this story. The story won out.

Background:
did Graphic Art & Design + Mechanicals for 6 years. I did some work for the organization my sis was working for at the time, between my other assignments. She really liked alot of it.

As some of you have been lucky earlier on to see at the R&R Museum,, U2 almost always uses the Deisign Group they first started out with.......but there have *been* rare exceptions. This was *almost* one of them.

Story:
My sis & I are mostly good friends, get together, talk on the phone etc.

But one day in mid-late Fall 1986 *out of the blue* she tells me "...U2 is going to be making a Concert Film in America.." Oh? I might not have heardthe buzz if there had been some yet, bercause alot of my attention had suddenly been turned towards another passion of mine Scince Fiction Art.

"...I have this friend {or a good friend of her friend} who's married to one of the top poeple at Island Records.." *Double* Oh?

"...I told her you were a professional, you loved R&R, AND that you were a big U2 Fan. "SHe said {person may have checked in with her husband, but I was getting too stunned to ask} if you were interested, you could draw up an idea for a poster/album Cover. They'd be happy to take a look..." :ohmy: :eek: :faint:

After my Comm Art day-job, I went right to work on an idea! Got it down semi-small, xeroxed it and did first set of coloring. I'm pretty sure I would have donw other colorings, tweeked the design. mAYBE come up with some more.

But the following happened.

I was on a bus and pulled out the daily paper. I notice a small article "_____ ___ of Island Records suddenly died...last evening etc"

Uh, oh.

I don't remember who called who { me or Sis} first. But that was the end of my big Chance. Evewn if it was only a possibility, can you imagine even being in the 'running" {like Olympics of R&R Music}!

Obviously, this was a great, hard tradgey for all invovled. Soi I kind of said..."oh well"...and told maybe two other friends {one a mutual friend >of my sis's< who was also a R&R/U2 Fan,

This is basically how I behaved, feeling that under the circumstances I had No Right to 'carry on'about it.

I swallowed those feelings down..... I never talked to my sis about it again.

But after 15 + years I feel it's time to tell this story and tell my true feelings :ohmy: :mad: :rant: :sad:

Animated Emoticons camn *say it so MUCH Better*!

what i'd like suggestions about -is around what i might want to send U2 now. But I'm putting this part up {brefore being bounced out}and then go back & 'reply' to my own post with that part.

Last edited:
my ideas *your suggestions*, please

*wipes brow* finally got that story out. :uhoh: :reject: nervous about your reactions!

took me 10 mins to be able to post back in here.

I'm hoping to avail myself of Miss-U2's *generous* offer. Thank you notes type stuff but then I thot......

I might send them -copies- of my original art work from NY Rocker, a new wave/punk/alt music paper ?&6 - 82?that I did of The Patti Smith Group & Television--2 fav U2 bands/inspirations.

Who knows, they could have been reading it back then and even seen my work. This paperthey did one of their first American Interviews there pRE_USA tOUR , BUT PUBLISHED AS THEY WERE TOURING IN 81.

SOry pinky slip...

Then I thot I might mention this story along with a sample of a U2 T-shirt I dea I came up with, tho I haven't had the time/opportunity yer to do a drawing/painting sample up.
Or some very cool >IMHO< Elevation mini-poster & button ideas I did. I did 'em for the *sheer joy*.

one other possible idea but this cafe is about to close...tommorow or next day

Last edited:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: this story is quite sad :sad:

i think you should give them your artwork you have made , and a letter explaining this story, and also all the stuff u created which are related to U2, u never know :uhoh:

i will be glad to help you :wink:

Back
Top Bottom