Question about U2 photos on eBay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomicLemon

War Child
If we see some cool stuff, can we post it here? Or is that "against the rules" even though it's not me selling it? There are some really beautiful 4x6 photographs of Bono in Africa for auction now and I know some of you Bono fans may be interested.

kellyahern said:

I think those are AP/Reuters photographs, they might be posted in the Bono in Africa thread :).

Actually, that person shouldn't be selling them in the first place :shifty:.

Hmm, ok. I have bought photos on eBay before, I figured if someone had them to sell it was ok. Can I get into trouble for buying them? There are tons of photos on eBay are you saying no one should be able to sell them?

AtomicLemon said:

Hmm, ok. I have bought photos on eBay before, I figured if someone had them to sell it was ok. Can I get into trouble for buying them? There are tons of photos on eBay are you saying no one should be able to sell them?

No, I'm just saying that the person selling them didn't take those photos and you can find those photos on the internet for free.

kellyahern said:

No, I'm just saying that the person selling them didn't take those photos and you can find those photos on the internet for free.

Really? Cool! Where else on the internet can I order and purchase those same photos then?

AtomicLemon said:

Really? Cool! Where else on the internet can I order and purchase those same photos then?

You can't buy them, but you can see and save them by searching yahoo news. I guess you could always buy photo paper and print out photos on your printer. That's probably all the ebay seller did.

Last edited:
Buying these photos is like buying stolen merchandise. Like Kelly said, you can dowload the hi-res files for free and then take them to a professional developing lab and get the exact same results. The seller says the photos are not scans and are not printed on deskjet paper, but he never says the photos are HIS property.

Ok, guess I don't understand ebay. Are you saying that of all the thousands of photos on eBay (of celebrities, bands, etc) they all have to be sold by the actual photographer? Somehow I doubt that's what is happening. If not, where do the sellers get all the photographs, if it's not the photographer selling them?

How can I download the hi res files for free then?

You can PM me if you like - thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

AtomicLemon said:
Ok, guess I don't understand ebay. Are you saying that of all the thousands of photos on eBay (of celebrities, bands, etc) they all have to be sold by the actual photographer? Somehow I doubt that's what is happening. If not, where do the sellers get all the photographs, if it's not the photographer selling them?

How can I download the hi res files for free then?

You can PM me if you like - thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Many photographers sell their photos as stock photos to sites where you can pay to have accounts. Like, I could sell my U2 photos to Getty Images for a certain amount and beyon that, Getty is free to offer them for sale to other media publications. Usually, the more you pay, the larger photos you get and more access to reprinting them. For example, a news publication can have a paid account with Getty Images and then they have paid for the right to download these images and print them in their publication. I'm guessing many of these eBay sellers do the same thing, since they always seem to have tons of pics of a wide range of celebs. The problem is that I doubt they've been given the right to reprint and sell the images as photos (instead of using them in a publication), especially without printing any copyright or credit on the photo.

You can get these copies by signing up for an account at a photo site, or usually just browsing the net. Many people who have accounts will post photos on their sites or save them in their own galleries that become open to pretty much anyone. For example, a few PLEBANS used to have a paid account with a photo site so we could post unwatermarked images here and share them.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Many photographers sell their photos as stock photos to sites where you can pay to have accounts. Like, I could sell my U2 photos to Getty Images for a certain amount and beyon that, Getty is free to offer them for sale to other media publications. Usually, the more you pay, the larger photos you get and more access to reprinting them. For example, a news publication can have a paid account with Getty Images and then they have paid for the right to download these images and print them in their publication. I'm guessing many of these eBay sellers do the same thing, since they always seem to have tons of pics of a wide range of celebs. The problem is that I doubt they've been given the right to reprint and sell the images as photos (instead of using them in a publication), especially without printing any copyright or credit on the photo.

You can get these copies by signing up for an account at a photo site, or usually just browsing the net. Many people who have accounts will post photos on their sites or save them in their own galleries that become open to pretty much anyone. For example, a few PLEBANS used to have a paid account with a photo site so we could post unwatermarked images here and share them.

"Used to have a paid account" being the key phrase here.

Ah, I see. So most of all of the photos on eBay are illegal? Yikes. Ok - thanks for the info.

I actually have froends who are photographers and have pics on photo sites (wireimage, getty, etc) I should ask them how they feel about it - probably not so good!

:scratch:

I've never bought on ebay, but could this one be legit? Or be a really good con-artist?
She (I got that from reading the feedback) says this are real photos, processed at a photolab, not cheap scans on photo paper or a cheap laser copy. (you probably read it :wink: )

She gets tons of positive feedback too, so are all those ppl so naive or ignorent?

bridgit said:

"Used to have a paid account" being the key phrase here.

Yeah, we don't post from that site anymore. I can't even remember the name of it....

The main difference is that when photographers sell their photos to wire image, they're selling the right for wire image to sell the right for these photos to be used in a publication, they're NOT selling the right for people to ignore the credits and reprint actual photos to sell. I could be totally wrong, but this is my assumption based on what I've learned about copyright and business law. I don't know any photographers that would be OK with someone else selling their images without any proper credit to the source.

greety said:
:scratch:

I've never bought on ebay, but could this one be legit? Or be a really good con-artist?
She (I got that from reading the feedback) says this are real photos, processed at a photolab, not cheap scans on photo paper or a cheap laser copy. (you probably read it :wink: )

But what does "real" mean? Anyone can find a hi-res copy of any image and have it printed on professional paper and a photo lab. Does that mean the picture is "real"? To me, it's only real when people are doing this with the consent of the photographer and giving credit to the photographer. She doesn't say she took the photos, so who did? I've seen those photos all over the Internet already, so I could easily have a friend print them professionally and sell copies on eBay.

AtomicLemon said:
Ah, I see. So most of all of the photos on eBay are illegal? Yikes. Ok - thanks for the info.

most of them will be.

i got a photo cd off ebay the other day that has 2000+ plus photos of live U2 from Elevation and Vertigo tours.
all the images on the cd where taken from this website:

www.u2-vertigo-tour.com

thank goodness i only paid £2 for it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom