Q Magazine July 2005 (BIG) scans (inc. Coldplay XandY five stars review)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:der:

U2_Tour_3.jpg

I don't know who the person was who reviewed the new Coldplay album but WTF? Comparring this to OK computer, Joshua tree and Fix you to ONE? They must have some great drugs there..Essential tracks: everything....Gimme a break..a decent effort by a decent band, that's it...and yes I love the other 2 albums

zwervers2 said:
I don't know who the person was who reviewed the new Coldplay album but WTF? Comparring this to OK computer, Joshua tree and Fix you to ONE? They must have some great drugs there..Essential tracks: everything....Gimme a break..a decent effort by a decent band, that's it...and yes I love the other 2 albums

Agreed, it's hard to figure out what this guy is on, but it must be good!

He admits that the album is "utterly shameless and occasionally gauche", and that "the lost-boy vocals and sing-song melodies remain in place", and yet despite this Coldplay are suddenly "fascinating and compelling".

"Armful of smack" indeed!

zwervers2 said:

Yeah, also agree. I mean, am I missing something here? Do I need to get my ears cleaned out, because when I hear the new Coldplay album, it sounds very ordinary and quite bland. There are a couple great songs, but nothing to write home about. The new issuw of Paste magazine gave it 5 stars (WTF?!), saying:

Coldplay's third opus takes on the reigning champ, U2, and doesn't so much dismantle Atomic Bomb as blast right through it, like a mile-wide meteor, hurtling across the heavens towards The Beatles themselves

C'mon. I have nothing against Coldplay, and I do like their music, but with all do respect, they are nothing extraordinary and have done better in the past (AROBTTH).

It's desperate hyperbole, and that's all it is. The music "industry" and its sychophants are indeed desperate. I feel sorry in a way for Coldplay (but not terribly, since they are feeding this in a blatant and shameless way), as they are being held up as the great hope of pop/rock music, "hurtling across the heavens towards the Beatles themselves". Sadly, there are plenty who will buy this crap.

I don't know whether this album will be considered a classic like OK Computer and joshua tree, we can only assess that in five or ten years. But if it is, I will be one of the few who "doesn't get it".

On the bright side, I think coldplay has at least a few more albums ahead of them. Maybe those will be better.

Back
Top Bottom