popular?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheWho4Life

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Were U2 popular in school? I dont mean as a band but Im sure you knew that:D. But I was watching VH1 today and they were talking about what stars were like in Highschool, and I just wanted to know if Edge was popular, or if he was a loser or in the middle or if he was a bad a**:D , but now I wanna know if any of them were:). :D
Oh how I :heart: :edge:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I read somewhere in school that Bono was an average student, but here's the good part! He knew how win girls over. With his sweet talking ways!:wink: I also read that Adam wasn't a very good student. Sorry, I don't know about the rockin' Edge, though. I found this info on the U2's band members biography on ATU@.com. {The website is something like that.}

All I know about Edge is that he got good grades, but I need to know if they were popular or not cause that kind of stuff interests me..... i think im really nosey but oh well. Thats great for Bono:D. And Adam, do you mean he didnt have good grades or was he like um, I cant think of the words. But if he didnt have good grades I cant say anything cause mine are really bad :D :D!

Well, I'm don't mean Adam was a really bad student. And I'm sorry, I don't know too much info on this subject. And TheWho4Life, I was meaning to tell you that I like your posts and yo're pretty cool!:wink:

Oh, well thats ok if u dont know much. But thanx that makes me feel really good:D. You're cool too! I like your avatar too dont know why but i do... lol.

in Eamonn Dunphys book The Unforgettable fire: It mentions that Edge was a very smart boy who liked to keep to himself. And larry was quiet and liked to keep away from attention. Adam was capable of doing well but usually refused to, he wouldnt participate in sports because if he got dirty hed have to take a shower. And the showers were cold, he hated cold. Bono liked the attention and tried hard to get it. He used to run in the middle of a street and moon everybody. One time he threw dog poo at his spanish teacher because she gave him an F. - Thats just a little bit from the book, not in exact words of course because i didnt feel like going to my room to get it. :wink:

Adam got kicked out for streaking. Bono threw the poop when he was only 11, he put it on her lunch while she ate out on a bench. Larry hated phoneys. None of them were popular in the jock or straight A way but they were not beat up or anything. Of course they are very popular now!

Cute Irish Bono said:
Well, I read somewhere in school that Bono was an average student, but here's the good part! He knew how win girls over. With his sweet talking ways!:wink:

I read that in that @U2 bio, too. I can believe that. :yes:. Charming girls even as a young boy. :p.

All this other info about their school days is interesting, too...it all certainly seems like stuff you'd expect from them. :).

It'd have been fun to go to school with them, I think.

Angela

Here's what I know about the boys in school...

Adam was from a good school, but as he was a bad student he was kicked out from this school and then he went to Mount Temple, and I remember an interview with them, where Bono says he had this kind of blond afro hair, and that he'd never take the sunglasses off, and that he'd walk the school hall down and think he was the coolest guy in school, and Bono said that if it wasn't by the hair he probably was the coolest guy. But, he was kicked out from Mount Temple when he walked naked in the courtyard of the school, and then after that he started to like "managing" the band.

Before Bono go to Mount Temple he used to skip classes, and walk by Dublin streets, (it was because of the religion he didn't like school) and then when Mount Temple opened, he went there, and kinda became a good student lol. And I remember once seeing something about he getting in fights, never starting them, but finishing. And after sometime he became romantic to get girls in school, *so sweet!!!* lol

And all I know about Edge in school, was that he was a really shy boy, but he was notest by Bono once, (by this interview I have), and he used to get good grades, but in the band first meetings, he didn't use to talk much, or give any sugestions much. So, as he was a lot shy I don't think he was popular, I think he was in the middle.

And about Larry, I also know he was shy, but I don't know anything about his grades...

I don't think that any of the boys were a loser, I think they were all in the middle, except for Adam that must be reminded by the others students for his walking naked lol

That's all I know :yes:

Last edited:
If anybody is really interested in their high school years, U2 The Unforgettable Fire by Eamon Dunphy is the book for you. A lot of people bash this book, say the band was not happy about some things, or that it's not true. I have never seen a quote from the band on this, only hearsay on mailing lists. I know Bono is still friendly with the author and I saw a recent pic if them together. Surely if it were full of lies the band would have sued and had it taken off the market. So for the most part it is probably true. I love the teenage stories about the boys, and about Bono, Guggi and Gavin's gang, The Village. There's a lot of cute stuff about their early practices, Larry squirting people with the hose, Edge's mum making them sandwiches as they practiced in a shed barely big enough to hold the amps and drums. Very interesting and fun reading. I literally could not put it down.

RocknRollKitty said:
If anybody is really interested in their high school years, U2 The Unforgettable Fire by Eamon Dunphy is the book for you.

:yes: My only regret was that the book was written in the mid-80s so it's obviously outdated and doesn't include the major parts of their musical careers.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:yes: My only regret was that the book was written in the mid-80s so it's obviously outdated and doesn't include the major parts of their musical careers.

I agree. But the thing that's always puzzled me is why U2@TEOTW is always called the "Bible" when it ony covers ONE era!!!!! :crack: That's less of a history than UF is.

GhostranchHills said:
I agree. But the thing that's always puzzled me is why U2@TEOTW is always called the "Bible" when it ony covers ONE era!!!!! :crack: That's less of a history than UF is.

True, but for that one era, it is very in-depth, interviewing all of the guys (not just Bono like most publications), showing fascinating aspects of their personalities (Larry the practical joker :lol: ) and it is superbly written. I highly recommend it to every U2 fan. :)

Well cool. I think about like Edge was in highschool except my grades are pretty bad but im tryin' to get them up. Im pretty shy, but I dont have many friends :sigh:, Im sure he had more than I do though:). I hope he did.

Back
Top Bottom