Pleban Girls Party - With A Little Help From Our Friends.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

Oh I understand how you feel about the madness....I live in the Chicagoland area and we are Bears crazy! Nothing but Bears in the news for the past two-three weeks! :crazy:

If we win...then more madness! :crack:

Soccer (your football) isn't a big deal here in America...so I'm not worried about that. Cricket is only an upper crust thing so I'm not worried about that either.

I have a friend in Chicago, but she's Australian, so she probably doesn't partake in the madness... (It was her that got me into U2 eventually!)

... Wow, I think my grammar sucks.

But yeah... Soccer (we mostly don't call it football either... unless you're from a soccer-mad-European-type background) wasn't a big deal here until last year, when Australia shocked the world and got into the World Cup for the second time ever, and then actually got past the first round for the first time ever. Then everyone in Australia suddenly became a soccer expert... :lol:

Alisaura said:

I have a friend in Chicago, but she's Australian, so she probably doesn't partake in the madness... (It was her that got me into U2 eventually!)

... Wow, I think my grammar sucks.

But yeah... Soccer (we mostly don't call it football either... unless you're from a soccer-mad-European-type background) wasn't a big deal here until last year, when Australia shocked the world and got into the World Cup for the second time ever, and then actually got past the first round for the first time ever. Then everyone in Australia suddenly became a soccer expert... :lol:

I don't expect her to either. Don't worry about your grammer...it's probably a little bit better than mine :wink:

:giggle: about the shock part. It's normal for us not to go far into the World Cup...cause there are other countries that are better than us and usually beat us within the first round or two.

I think we were lucky about who we ended up playing against, although the Australian team obviously did amazingly well all the same... drawing with Croatia (I think! or did we actually beat them?) was the biggest shock. I'm glad I got out of bed at 5am to catch the end of that game.

Hamstrings and knees are the most common injuries in Australian Rules football... you see a lot of players getting complete knee reconstructions. I did see a game once where one guy broke both bones in one forearm... someone tackled him from behind when he had both arms around the ball, so he fell forwards flat on his face with the weight of another player on top. I think they said you could hear his scream from the other end of the field... :yikes:

Eeeeeeeewww :no: ... I think that kind of thing is a bit wrong... replaying injuries... (although they did show that arm-breaking incident a couple of times on the news)

Sorry I went AWOL a bit there.... !

I used to be in St Johns' ambulance (volunteer first aid group)... I never saw any nasty injuries, but I heard a lot of stories!

Alisaura said:
Eeeeeeeewww :no: ... I think that kind of thing is a bit wrong... replaying injuries... (although they did show that arm-breaking incident a couple of times on the news)

Sorry I went AWOL a bit there.... !

I used to be in St Johns' ambulance (volunteer first aid group)... I never saw any nasty injuries, but I heard a lot of stories!

I know :yikes:

That's ok...:hug:

Nice that you were a volunteer EMT :up: :hug: Yea....there are worse injuries out there (I wouldn't recommend watching Discovery Health a lot for that reason) :wink:

I think the worst injury I saw was a kid who broke his leg after coming off a trail bike... I didn't treat him though, cos that was my first ever duty as a cadet... :ohmy: They sent me off with a radio instead (which I didn't know how to use) to open a gate for the ambulance...
Another time I got into a debate with a more senior officer about the correct way to clean up a huge area of gravel rash on a guy who'd come off his racing camel.... and I was right in the end! :D

I'm not that squeamish really... I hope you're not either! *shuts up about injuries* :|

Hmm, what else... we've done sport... I know it's freezing up there... umm...

Say, there's this Irish band that I quite like, don't know if you've heard of them... :wink:

Well, I could confess that Friday night was the first time that I actually watched all of the Elevation video clip... and there are many more from the most recent albums that I haven't seen at all! :uhoh: :silent:

I finally hit upon the idea that they'd be on You Tube and looked up Elevation... I saw the last part on TV years ago and was amused :)

Mmm, leather. :wink:

I did have a good laugh at Edge in the Tomb Raider scenes... :D

Vertigo and EBTTRT were cool but they make you dizzy... :huh:

So how long have you been a fan for?

Cool! Do you have it down to the exact date? ;)

*counts* It'll be getting on for 9 years for me too, actually! My friend who went to Chicago had tried to convert me during the Zoo days, but I wasn't ready for it... then when she went to the US she left me her copy of R&H and it blew me away, despite my having seen it years before... Exit and Bad... :drool:
Of course, I missed out on seeing Popmart... :mad: Not sure I would have actually got it at the time, but still, it was a pain missing out on Elevation entirely.

Hey Molly! :wave:

Whoops, got distracted again... stoopid EYKIW....

Yeah, the original plan to go for chinese has been ditched in favour of finishing off leftovers :)

Back
Top Bottom