Pleban Girls Party...Stiff? Let us lend a hand...a massage & B are the best medicine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ruffian said:

I remember seeing a recent interview where B said that it stunned him that his dad *never* talked about it, which must have been torture for someone as expressive and emotional as Bono...

And VP, I have never read anything about his thoughts on his mom before she died--he says he can't remember what she looked like, and that makes him sad...

Yeah, I mean he had an older brother and a father....that's it. No woman in the house and I'm sure he tried very hard to remember anything he could about his mother....and I'm sure in turn there was some romanticizing about women in general as a result. I'm also sure he's always felt the need to connect with women, to have that closeness he feels he's missed out on.

And yes, with someone as expressive as Bono I am sure there was several screaming matches as a result of his frustration with his father.

And who says PLEBAns are just hormones crazed brain dead robots? :lol:

It makes me think of the line in SYCMIOYO: "...a house doesn't make a home...." and how that echoes how he has said that they weren't allowed to talk about mum after she died! poor B! :(

VintagePunk said:
Ruff, Flannagan's book goes into it somewhat, but I devoured it so quickly on the first read, I need to go back and read it again.
I loved that book and also devoured it! It kept me up at night...

look at this sweet picture of B-man crying :sad: this is why i love him...he was talking about AIDS in Africa, if i remember correctly:
emotionalbono.bmp

susanp6 said:
It makes me think of the line in SYCMIOYO: "...a house doesn't make a home...." and how that echoes how he has said that they weren't allowed to talk about mum after she died! poor B! :(
*exactly*, susan. i already said this, but i bawled my eyes out when he sang that...then they transition right into Love and Peace and I'm all confused. :huh:

starsgoblue said:

And who says PLEBAns are just hormones crazed brain dead robots? :lol:
i hope our mods peek in and see that we are not talking about crotches (yet... :evil: )

ruffian said:

look at this sweet picture of B-man crying :sad: this is why i love him...he was talking about AIDS in Africa, if i remember correctly:
emotionalbono.bmp

B was watching a video about AIDS in Atlanta. :yes:

That is why I love him too. I really do, he's such an angel. That's why I want to meet him so bad, I wanna knows he's 'real'. If that makes any sense.

I agree. I wrote this before in my journal about him as a child.....Hope you don't mind me sharing my blabbing.....:p :reject:

'Now I have this picture in my head....Bono on his eighteenth birthday, looking out his bedroom window and feeling full of doubt and uncertainty, uncomfortable with a feeling that his house was pulled down around him, because after the death of his mother that house was no longer a home -- it was just a house. His father, who never spoke of his wife after her death, is playing opera on the radio downstairs. Bono wonders if perhaps, in some way, it is the music that allows his father to connect with her again, for words aren't needed when the music can express the heart's longings. Bono reaches for a notebook and begins to pen the lyrics to "Out Of Control"--a song that speaks of birth and death, life's only certainties, and the fact those certainties are not in one's own hands but rather God's...

starsgoblue said:
I agree. I wrote this before in my journal about him as a child.....Hope you don't mind me sharing my blabbing.....:p

'Now I have this picture in my head....Bono on his eighteenth birthday, looking out his bedroom window and feeling full of doubt and uncertainty, uncomfortable with a feeling that his house was pulled down around him, because after the death of his mother that house was no longer a home -- it was just a house. His father, who never spoke of his wife after her death, is playing opera on the radio downstairs. Bono wonders if perhaps, in some way, it is the music that allows his father to connect with her again, for words aren't needed when the music can express the heart's longings. Bono reaches for a notebook and begins to pen the lyrics to "Out Of Control"--a song that speaks of birth and death, life's only certainties, and the fact those certainties are not in one's own hands but rather God's...

Stars.... :sad:
how incredibly touching. I'm all teary.

Oh ruff! That is such a sad pic of B! Every time i see that one, it makes me so heart-broken!

Cheers Bri! I was beginning to wonder if i could ever come bk here safely...

and also in regards to the "real" question--that was what I was curious about, too...and I am no authority based on one meeting (and this sounds all New Agey) but he is one of the most "present" people I have ever spoken to...intense eye contact, careful listening, so responsive to people. It was more than I ever expected, and even if I hadn't gotten to say anything to him I think I would have still had that impression just watching him engage with people.

ruffian said:
and also in regards to the "real" question--that was what I was curious about, too...and I am no authority based on one meeting (and this sounds all New Agey) but he is one of the most "present" people I have ever spoken to...intense eye contact, careful listening, so responsive to people. It was more than I ever expected, and even if I hadn't gotten to say anything to him I think I would have still had that impression just watching him engage with people.

Wow.

I hope Jules and me get to see that. :hyper:

That is probably quite accurate about how he felt at the time, i imagine Stars! Very well written! Wish i could write as good! :wink: Good idea about his dad listening to opera and all that! Maybe it was too painful for him to talk about it? :sad:

susanp6 said:
That is probably quite accurate about how he felt at the time, i imagine Stars! Very well written! Wish i could write as good! :wink: Good idea about his dad listening to opera and all that! Maybe it was too painful for him to talk about it? :sad:

Thank you. :hug:

Yeah, I'm not sure bout the Bob/opera bit and maybe how B discovered his own musical voice but I'd like to imagine that I could be right in some small way....:heart:

susanp6 said:
or just plain old irish stoicism. wow, that is so opposite of the Italians! (as evidenced by my frequent teariness and then immediate unbridled exuberance!)

ruffian said:

I hear ya, Susan. I still have 14 shows ahead of me and if i ever get another chance to meet him i'm going to be a little embarrassed. hard enough to figure out what to say the first time...next time (if i'm lucky again) i'll just grin and stare :lol:

Erm... I'm not susan... lol

~BrightestStar~ said:

Aww :hug:
You're not crazy, I'm sure I'm not takin a leap to say we all do that.

Didn't B once talk about how irish males jus don't talk about these things..they kinda buck it up and all?
we all have the same sickness :hug:

yeah, he did...and (this is nerdy) all the studies done show that the two ethnic groups that are the least expressive of pain (physically AND emotionally) are the Irish...and Alaskan natives :slant:

~BrightestStar~ said:

Aww :hug:
You're not crazy, I'm sure I'm not takin a leap to say we all do that.

Didn't B once talk about how irish males jus don't talk about these things..they kinda buck it up and all?

I think it's true of most males of Bob's generation, although cultures certainly do vary.

:lol: sorry U2Girl :reject: I just got my ticket to Phoenix today and I'm so hyper I can't stand it...not reading carefully enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom