Pleban Girls Party - Old Time Rock and Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad_Girl said:
but more to the point :lol: I do know a fe English counties- :hmm : let's see:

Worcestershire, Lancashire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Nottinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Oxfordshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Somerset, Yorkshire, Suffolk, Sussex, Devon, Kent, Derbyshire ....
oh, yeah, and greater Manchester :wink:

though I think that's probably only about half :scratch:
:reject: I clearly suck... although I wonder if SG has had some help recently :wink:

Hi SG! :wave: :D

I can't believe I forgot Worcestershire... and Buckinghamshire... Kent... :banghead:
I knew I should have just stuck "shire" at the end of every English city I know the name of :lol:

bonoishot said:

Thats impressive SG. :ohmy: I live in Lancashire county. We also have boroughs eg, Flyde, Wyre etc. :wink:

:lol:

We don't have buroughs here, because there aren't as many uber-populated areas. I know New York City does though

We have States, Counties, Townships and then village/town/city limits plus the occassional subdivision

Hi, By the way! :hug: to everyone :D

Alisaura said:

Challenge accepted!
*brain immediately goes blank* :der:
Okay.... Essex, Sussex... Wessex? Yorkshire... Cumbria... um... Does Cornwall count? Oxfordshire... Devonshire? (Someone told me it's not really called Devonshire, despite the existance of Devonshire teas.)
:scratch: Part of my brain wants to say Herefordshire, but I might be hallucinating.
I know there's more I know, but can't bring to mind right now... :reject:

Yes to all apart from Devoshire, its Devon. You were very close though/. :) Well done.

Alisaura said:

I knew I should have just stuck "shire" at the end of every English city I know the name of :lol:

:giggle: I know, right? :p

I may have a tutor to help educate me on all matters English :wink:

He found it quite amusing when I first tried to pronounce several of the names :reject: :lmao:

Alisaura said:

We all learned it at school, it was/is a standard class. I guess it's the same logic behind kids in the UK learning French... the country is nearby and there's a fair chance we'd travel there at some point. (Although I haven't yet!)

Yeah that makes sense. Here most kids learn french/german or spanish. I learnt German. :wink:

Sad_Girl said:
That's really cool :ohmy:

I guess it's like learning Spanish here in the US - one of those everyone has to know a little sort-of things
Yeah... I just wish I could remember more of it! I think it's a fairly easy language to learn, at least in terms of grammar... :shrug: Apparently also easy to forget :reject:

bonoishot said:
Yes to all apart from Devoshire, its Devon. You were very close though/. :) Well done.
Yay! Go me :D
I wonder who decided to call scones/jam/cream a Devonshire tea, then? :confused:

Hey Drea! :D

Sad_Girl said:
He found it quite amusing when I first tried to pronounce several of the names :reject: :lmao:
I know! Who would have thought that Worcestershire = "Wooster"??

Of course, I've probably got that horribly wrong now... :lol:

bonoishot said:
Yeah that makes sense. Here most kids learn french/german or spanish. I learnt German. :wink:
I did German voluntarily at Uni... bits of it have stuck in my head...
Guten Tag! Wie gehts? :wink:

WildHoney said:
We had to learn French :yuck: , The teacher was a very strict German witch :yikes: . I like to learn Gaelic, and i already know the language of Love :flirt:
What other language do you need? :wink:

WildHoney said:
I swear someone knows my password and logs on when i'm tucked up in bed , fast asleep :angel:
:lmao:
Sorry :D

WildHoney said:

Bet your accent really turned him on though :sexywink: :ohmy:

:flirt: Which really amuses me since I personally find nothing about our local speech patterns/accents all that attractive :shrug:

We don't spend nearly as much time these days having to repeat ourselves, either - though we did have some very amusing misunderstandings for awhile there :lmao:

Fingers crossed for Dis! :heart:

Congrats on the lotto win, Wild! You could get another lotto ticket with that... (which is probably the only reason they give out prizes that size) :wink:

Alisaura said:

I know! Who would have thought that Worcestershire = "Wooster"??

that's the one that really had us laughing :lol:

I was like WTF? so you don't care what it's spelled like, you just call it something that starts with the same letter and say 'close enough?' :p

and 'shire' = 'sure'? :eyebrow: :giggle:

Sad_Girl said:

We don't have buroughs here, because there aren't as many uber-populated areas. I know New York City does though

We have States, Counties, Townships and then village/town/city limits plus the occassional subdivision

We are split up into counties, ie Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Essex. Then those are split into boroughs, normally dependant on the local councils.

Sad_Girl said:

:flirt: Which really amuses me since I personally find nothing about our local speech patterns/accents all that attractive :shrug:

We don't spend nearly as much time these days having to repeat ourselves, either - though we did have some very amusing misunderstandings for awhile there :lmao:

Ni & i were the same when we met, Meeting his family was emm interesting all those Irish Accents although whe i meet his older brother, well hello :)combust: :drool: ) as he has a thick Dublin accent just like Larry's.

NI's is more softer, his accent that is :lol:

Sad_Girl said:
and 'shire' = 'sure'? :eyebrow: :giggle:
I think part of the problem is that the language started there, and people were speaking it, and naming places for thousands of years before anything was written down, or spelling was fixed. I read a really interesting book recently about the history of the English language, and how it's changed in England and other countries where it's been planted. Maybe Worcestershire was always called "wooster" by the locals, but some fancy official decided it should be spelled that other way... or something like that.
:nerd:

Also, I think the USA is the English-speaking country where people tend to pronounce every single letter more than in other places... Australians, for instance, tend to skip over a lot of Ts and Rs and such :wink:

bonoishot said:

Yeah right theres a password knowing post whore fairy. :wink:

that explains SO much! :ohmy: :hmm:
8.gif

Back
Top Bottom