Pleban Girls Party - Old Time Rock and Roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:shifty:

Has anything been decided yet about Sarah's school? I can't remember if you mentioned anything when you gave the recap before...?

Alisaura said:
:shifty:

Has anything been decided yet about Sarah's school? I can't remember if you mentioned anything when you gave the recap before...?

I'm surprised you remembered! :hug: I feel like since I haven't exactly been around here for months, I hardly know anything about you. :( You're into...geology?? I apologize if that's entirely wrong, but I recall something of the sort. :reject:

As for Sarah's school, as I was saying earlier tonight, I'd guess that pretty much 90% of the community and nearly 100% of the city council is in favour of rebuilding on their current site. The area that the school board was in favour of rebuilding anew on - the city council has said they're unwilling to sell that site. :hyper: So, the school board is saying that they're looking at alternate pieces of land in the same general area to rebuild on...although I'd be surprised if they found any....and meanwhile, everyone else is against them. As for the students, they kind of feel like they're at a standstill, like there's nothing tangible they can do right now. :huh: But as I said before, I'm SO impressed with the way they've conducted themselves so far. :) It's been inspiring.

VintagePunk said:
I'm surprised you remembered! :hug : I feel like since I haven't exactly been around here for months, I hardly know anything about you. : ( You're into...geology?? I apologize if that's entirely wrong, but I recall something of the sort. : reject:
:hug: I usually read back on the threads now, since I'm not usually online with you guys during the week (stupid time zones! Plus no internet at work), so I guess I read more than I post. :wink:
I did remember this incident, it seemed so ludicrous that the school board would make that announcement so suddenly, when it was clear that the majority of everyone else was in favour of renovating at the existing site. And I was impressed by how you said everyone stood up together and protested, and by how your daughter was interviewed and everything :) :up:

As for me, yes, I'm something of a geology/palaeontology geek :D I did a bachelor's degree in Earth Science a while back, worked for a few years in boring jobs that had nothing to do with the degree (you can't do much with a geology degree without honours or post-grad), started to do a Masters in palaeontology (fossils and stuff), but decided after a year that I really wasn't passionate enough about fossilised molluscs to make it work. Now I'm just working in another boring job, saving up for my holiday in August, and trying to decide what to do with the rest of my life. :wink:
And learning bass :heart:
There's my life in a nutshell! :lol:

As for the students, they kind of feel like they're at a standstill, like there's nothing tangible they can do right now. :huh : But as I said before, I'm SO impressed with the way they've conducted themselves so far. : ) It's been inspiring.
I really hope the school board makes the right decision... I can't imagine the consequences would be very good if they insisted on bulling ahead. Especially if no one will sell them the land :giggle:

Alisaura said:

:hug: I usually read back on the threads now, since I'm not usually online with you guys during the week (stupid time zones! Plus no internet at work), so I guess I read more than I post. :wink:
I did remember this incident, it seemed so ludicrous that the school board would make that announcement so suddenly, when it was clear that the majority of everyone else was in favour of renovating at the existing site. And I was impressed by how you said everyone stood up together and protested, and by how your daughter was interviewed and everything :) :up:

As for me, yes, I'm something of a geology/palaeontology geek :D I did a bachelor's degree in Earth Science a while back, worked for a few years in boring jobs that had nothing to do with the degree (you can't do much with a geology degree without honours or post-grad), started to do a Masters in palaeontology (fossils and stuff), but decided after a year that I really wasn't passionate enough about fossilised molluscs to make it work. Now I'm just working in another boring job, saving up for my holiday in August, and trying to decide what to do with the rest of my life. :win k:
And learning bass :hear t:
There's my life in a nutshell! :lo :

I really hope the school board makes the right decision... I can't imagine the consequences would be very good if they insisted on bulling ahead. Especially if no one will sell them the land :giggle:

So you're no longer passionate/excited about palaentology? Or is it just that school has sucked all the joy out of it?

I take it you're young with no ties? My advice would be to follow your passion while you can. :yes: Even if the classes seem boring, they're just a means to an end. :up: At least that's what I keep telling myself. :crack:

It'll be interesting to see how the school thing plays out in the next while. I *really* wish I had more time to be directly involved. There's a general meeting for students/parents/interested parties this Tuesday that I'm going to try to attend. It's just hard with all the work I have to do. There was one last week, but Sarah was writing her uni exam, and I was working...

Sorry for disappearing... you know when you pop out to the shops for a couple of things and come back with three bags full of crap you don't need? :reject:

VintagePunk said:
So you're no longer passionate/excited about palaentology? Or is it just that school has sucked all the joy out of it?

I take it you're young with no ties? My advice would be to follow your passion while you can. :yes: Even if the classes seem boring, they're just a means to an end. :up: At least that's what I keep telling myself. :crack:

It'll be interesting to see how the school thing plays out in the next while. I *really* wish I had more time to be directly involved. There's a general meeting for students/parents/interested parties this Tuesday that I'm going to try to attend. It's just hard with all the work I have to do. There was one last week, but Sarah was writing her uni exam, and I was working...
Now I'm trying to remember what you're studying... and I can't. :lol: Something Humanities-ish? (I'm probably way off!)

I'm not sure I was ever passionate enough about palaeo to go the whole way, especially since it's such a small, competitive field. I always thought dinosaurs were cool, and I really enjoyed the few palaeo classes we got as undergrads, but once I started reading textbooks about the minutae of Mollusca and looking at huge piles of unidentified, 60-million-year-old scallops and clams and whatnot from a remote New Zealand island, it didn't seem like so much fun any more, and I could not get myself motivated to do anything. :sigh: It felt bad to quit, but there wasn't much point making myself miserable and doing half-arsed research.

Good luck getting to the meeting! It sounds like Sarah's doing a good job of getting involved for both of you :) And good luck for her exams too!

Yeah, I do the three bags of crap I don't need all the time. :lol:

I'm in psychology - just completing my thesis for an honour's BA. Went back to school as an adult, and I'm nearly done. :hyper: Except for grad school, if I go that route. :crack: Which I probably will, I just need time off to work for a year or so.

What I've found with many of my upper-level classes are, they teach stuff along the lines of: "this is what the career is like [very rigorous], and if you don't have the intelligence/drive to go the distance, it's a failing on your part." Seriously. I could tell you stories. And one of the worst classes I've ever had that deterred people from the field, that prof is now my advisor....that's just the way the class is structured, to scare the shit out of people, and weed out who really has the determination to go on.

If you'd like to discuss it further, feel free to PM. I have many opinions on the subject. :| But I need to get to bed now.

Night all who's still around. :hug:
Alisaura said:
Sorry for disappearing... you know when you pop out to the shops for a couple of things and come back with three bags full of crap you don't need? :reject:

Now I'm trying to remember what you're studying... and I can't. :lol: Something Humanities-ish? (I'm probably way off!)

I'm not sure I was ever passionate enough about palaeo to go the whole way, especially since it's such a small, competitive field. I always thought dinosaurs were cool, and I really enjoyed the few palaeo classes we got as undergrads, but once I started reading textbooks about the minutae of Mollusca and looking at huge piles of unidentified, 60-million-year-old scallops and clams and whatnot from a remote New Zealand island, it didn't seem like so much fun any more, and I could not get myself motivated to do anything. :sigh: It felt bad to quit, but there wasn't much point making myself miserable and doing half-arsed research.

Good luck getting to the meeting! It sounds like Sarah's doing a good job of getting involved for both of you :) And good luck for her exams too!

Goodnight VP! :hug: I may well PM you at some point :)

Aside from the few Spanish words I picked up watching Sesame Street as a child, and listening to U2 more recently ( :lol: ), I don't know squat. Yet!

I've forgotten most of the Indonesian and German I knew too... :slant:

Alisaura said:
Goodnight VP! :hug: I may well PM you at some point :)

Aside from the few Spanish words I picked up watching Sesame Street as a child, and listening to U2 more recently ( :lol: ), I don't know squat. Yet!

I've forgotten most of the Indonesian and German I knew too... :slant:

I know how to count to 14 in Spanish long before Vertigo came out :wink:

Sad_Girl said:
Bono's interpretive dance representing the drunken Pleban Girls Party:

p1thw.gif

No that's Bono trying to fit in with the girls :lol:

Back
Top Bottom