Pleban Girl`s party:If the sky can crack,we all know the way back...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VintagePunk said:

A sharp mind certainly helps, but I'm not so sure of the good heart. I think to survive in the field, you need a certain amount of detachment. Sad, but true, for self-preservation. :(

too many bad smells involved in nursing and medicine :no:

ruffian said:

nooooo---in fact, we advertise the fact that we don't use TAs. Of course, we are only an undergrad institution so don't have the grad students/slaves who would typically TA.

While I completely understand the need for TAs, and how useful they can be...

Too many TAs suck....horriblely. :angry:

But you do ALL of your own marking? :ohmy: :crack:
That's insane.

ruffian said:

nooooo---in fact, we advertise the fact that we don't use TAs. Of course, we are only an undergrad institution so don't have the grad students/slaves who would typically TA.

Ugh, that would make your life SO much easier. Although I'm sure that the more personal interaction with your students would have huge benefits, as well. :yes:

~BrightestStar~ said:

While I completely understand the need for TAs, and how useful they can be...

Too many TAs suck....horriblely. :angry:

you guys don't use TAs do you?

redhotswami said:
Hey there Bri!! :wave:

Ruff - I love how you said "grad students/slaves." Whenever I'm asked to fill out my application I always write "grad student/indentured servant."

:lmao: I was a TA/RA for too long making too little, that is for sure. i'm sooooo glad i'm done with school and have tenure. whew! and really, i bitch about it but I honestly love my job and *most* of my students. I'm taking a group of 25 to Ireland in May...what was I thinking??? Hide the men!

VintagePunk said:

A sharp mind certainly helps, but I'm not so sure of the good heart. I think to survive in the field, you need a certain amount of detachment. Sad, but true, for self-preservation. :(

Hmm...uhoh...I didn't think of that. She is volunteering this year, so hopefully she'll come out with a good idea of what she wants to do.

ruffian said:

you guys don't use TAs do you?

My school does, and while not all of them have sucked, the ones that have have been horrendous. :|

Oddly, I took a course that a grad student taught, and although he has a ton of bad ratings on ratemyprofessor.com, I REALLY enjoyed the course...the pace was ideal, not too much extraneous information (which many profs I've had are notorious for)...concise and to the point, yet very informational.

ruffian said:
I'm taking a group of 25 to Ireland in May...what was I thinking??? Hide the men!

WOW! That's awesome!!! What will you be doing there?

I take groups of students on Alternative Spring Breaks. I wanted to take them to Ballymun this year, but there was more of an interest in New Orleans, so that's where we'll be going instead.

redhotswami said:

Hmm...uhoh...I didn't think of that. She is volunteering this year, so hopefully she'll come out with a good idea of what she wants to do.

I went into it thinking I could save the world. I think that if you're at all self-aware and academically-minded, you soon realize what's required, and either adapt to it, or not. Hopefully your friend will, too.

VintagePunk said:

My school does, and while not all of them have sucked, the ones that have have been horrendous. :|

Oddly, I took a course that a grad student taught, and although he has a ton of bad ratings on ratemyprofessor.com, I REALLY enjoyed the course...the pace was ideal, not too much extraneous information (which many profs I've had are notorious for)...concise and to the point, yet very informational.

I don't check that site anymore--I'm too afraid people will be mean to me :reject: but i'm glad you had a good experience!

redhotswami said:

WOW! That's awesome!!! What will you be doing there?

I take groups of students on Alternative Spring Breaks. I wanted to take them to Ballymun this year, but there was more of an interest in New Orleans, so that's where we'll be going instead.

my students did New Orleans last year on Alternative Spring Break!

We're studying the peace process, primarily, but it is a course on politics and contemporary culture in Ireland. We're studying women's changing roles, economic tranformation, the consequences of The Troubles...etc.

~BrightestStar~ said:
I've discovered that it's easy to ignore the funky hospital smell when you discoer they have the awesomest, most comfortable chairs to lounge in in the common areas.

Or...so I've heard. :shifty:

:hyper:

:hyper:

You're just teasingme, aren't you :sad:

:lol:!!

Sadly, yes. :lol: Sorry - but I am not so cruel as to send any of my characters into that particular setting in nothing but a strap of leather :lol:

VintagePunk said:
Ruff, you have many tamales for hotness on ratemyprofessor. :sexywink: :lol:

:eek:

it's only cause everyone else is 80. i swear, i don't even read teaching evaluations until i've had a martini :lol:

Sad_Girl said:

Sadly, yes. :lol: Sorry - but I am not so cruel as to send any of my characters into that particular setting in nothing but a strap of leather :lol:

"strap of leather."

that just sounds so...dirty.

:shifty:

ruffian said:

:eek:

it's only cause everyone else is 80. i swear, i don't even read teaching evaluations until i've had a martini :lol:

I'm positive you'd do well against any age group. :)

I'm pretty sure your ratings are overall positive!

I've had a few profs that I feel SO badly for, they seem like genuinely great people, with a lot to offer, but they're just shit lecturers, with a tendency to ramble. I feel badly for them, so I rate them highly, anyway. :lol:

:hug: :wave:
I cannot BELIEVE what I just did. I was on Second Life, and I saw most of a virtual concert by the virtual U2 group!!! I was even flirting shamelessly with the virtual Adam, who I told that he was a Silver Fox. (his avatar wasn't on stage, though...maybe he's shy?!?!?). They used a live recording of a show in Detroit as a soundtrack, a show in which they played Gloria, Bad and Crumbs!! My two favorite things, U2 and Second Life...I am so happy!!!

Is Ruff still here?!??!

ruffian said:

my students did New Orleans last year on Alternative Spring Break!

We're studying the peace process, primarily, but it is a course on politics and contemporary culture in Ireland. We're studying women's changing roles, economic tranformation, the consequences of The Troubles...etc.

:shocked: OMFG that is EXACTLY what I want to do...I'm all about taking students out of their comfort zones and letting them see things hands on.

What did you study for your phd, if you don't mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom