PLEBA Misc News, Stories and Articles #9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HjySKzO.jpg

U2 frontman Bono receives France's highest cultural award | Reuters
(Reuters) - Irish rock star and anti-poverty activist Bono received France's highest cultural award on Tuesday for his contribution to music while being praised for using his fame to battle for humanitarian causes.

The frontman of the rock band U2 was presented with the Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters by French Culture Minister Aurelie Filippetti in a ceremony in Paris.

"Beyond notes and beyond words, you committed yourself and dedicated your fame and career to wage some of the greatest wars of our time. Not for charity's sake but in the name of justice," Filippetti said in a statement.

Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, said the award was a huge honour but it belonged to the band.

"I've got the biggest mouth and the loudest voice but the music we make comes from each other," he said in a statement.

Previous recipients of the award that dates back to 1957 include David Bowie, Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Bob Dylan, Bruce Willis and Shakira.

Bono, 53, has received a list of awards for his music and campaigning since forming U2 about 37 years ago, including being a nominee several times for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In 2005 he was named Time Magazine's Person of the Year and in 2007 he received an honorary knighthood from Queen Elizabeth.

Gee, someone's acting all populair on twitter. :rolleyes: Look at me! I know famous people!

I looked this person up on FB....she doesn't know anyone. Looks like she's a former pleban because we have mutual friends, not to mention she's friends with tons of people from this website in general that I know of but I'm not personally FB friends with. I think she's just goofing off on twitter.

:sigh:

I never post here and when I do I get these kind of comments. Makes me remember why I left here.....

Did you mean to quote me? I wasn't commenting on anything you said. I was commenting on all the personal twitter posts getting posted around here as "news".

Did you mean to quote me? I wasn't commenting on anything you said. I was commenting on all the personal twitter posts getting posted around here as "news".

sorry I guess I took your comment as being directed to me since I was the last person to comment, and I quoted someone talking about twitter stuff.

No I didn't even think about what you posted or that you were last, sorry. I have just seen these Tweets posted all over the place here and it isn't news at all.

No I didn't even think about what you posted or that you were last, sorry. I have just seen these Tweets posted all over the place here and it isn't news at all.

sadly they seem to be the only "news" we've got until "official" news come out, and the fact that Dallas was with Bono it means (for me) that U2 are not only in vacation but they're even working.
Sorry if I share all I know about U2 with you. I'll never do it anymore

We don't know Dallas was with Bono. Because ANYONE can put ANYTHING on twitter. :shrug: So I kinda agree with Comet, this stuff is not news. It's rumours at most, so to put them in the album thread is fine, but this thread is for news. Like, actual news.

And you're right ARW. I thought the name seemed familiar. It is one of the former teen Plebans, probably around 16 right now. Yeah, fat chance anything she says is true.

Because Bono never picks up random teenage fans and asks them to listen to the unfinished record-- except for when he does exactly that, as he did for HTDAAB. As you said, we can't know if its true or not. But just the fact that she's young doesn't seem to be a certain reason to disbelieve her, does it?

It's a toss up if tweets should go here and be off-topic rumors or go in the new album thread where posters can get heckled about what Bono ate for breakfast. Maybe a Twitter/Rumors thread?

Even Rolling Stone is in on the rumors...

Even Rolling Stone is in on the rumors... :lol::applaud:

By Andy Greene

July 24, 2013 4:45 PM ET

The U2 fan community went into a mini-frenzy today due to a story on an Italian fan site claiming to have inside info on the tour. According to Google Translate, the story states, "One of our inside sources inside the band's management informs us that the organization phase of the new tour is at full capacity. . . The Irish band seems to have no intention of touching fewer cities but to do more concerts in the same location, for example every city three concerts instead of touching different cities and make a full concert. . . each concert with a different setlist."

We'd usually never run a rumor as poorly sourced as that one. Translation issues aside, it seems unlikely that a management source is blabbing about this. Also, the European media doesn't have the best track record when it comes to accuracy. In fact, very little is known about their tour plans. Bono has been pretty clear about the fact that they don't want another stadium run like the massive 360 Tour that ran from 2009 and 2011 and shattered attendance records wherever it went. It's a safe bet they're going back to arenas, much like they did in 2001 after the enormous PopMart stadium tour of 1997/98. (On that note, little is also known about U2's upcoming album, other than Danger Mouse is the producer and it's coming out sometime in the not-too-distant future.)

All that said, the phrase "each concert with a different setlist" did grab our attention. U2 do change around their setlist a bit as their tours go on, but not nearly enough to please the hardcore fans. The vast, vast majority of their catalog remains unplayed throughout the course of their tours.

So let's pretend that this rumor is true. Here are some ways they could structure the shows to make the fans go absolutely insane.

Scenario 1 - Complete Album Shows
Night One: War + the new album
Night Two: The Joshua Tree + the new album
Night Three: Achtung Baby + the new album

Pros: It seems like the obvious move, since so many bands have had great success with this in recent years. Hardcores will go every night and they will finally get to hear super-deep cuts like "Drowning Man," "Red Hill Mining Town," "The Refugee" and "Acrobat" live. They could even swap around the albums as the tour goes on, forcing fans to fly all over the world for the chance to hear Zooropa or October live.

Cons: It's hard to imagine U2 will want to do something so nakedly nostalgic. Also, it can be a bit lame when you go into a concert and you know exactly what songs they're gonna play and in what order. It takes out much of the fun.

Scenario 2 - Decades Nights
Night One: The 1980s + selections from the new album
Night Two: The 1990s + selections from the new album
Night Three: The 2000s + selections from the new album

Pros: This is still an unabashed nostalgia-fest, but it opens them up to a broader range of material. On night one, they could play hits hits like "Where The Streets Have No Name" and super-obscurities like "I Threw a Brick Through a Window." It'll please the superfans, but not leave the casual ones bored.

Cons: To be frank, night three will be a bit of a letdown. There's plenty of great songs from the 2000s, but it's their weakest decade.

Scenario 3 - Theme Nights
Night One: Hits + selections from the new album
Night Two: Rarities + selections from the new album
Night Three: Band's choice

Pros: If they do this, they won't be tied to a single time period each night. The casual fans can all attend night one, and the hardcores can come to night two and have the chance to hear 1980s rarities like "Surrender" followed by latter-stuff like "Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car" and "Moment of Surrender." Then night three can be a nice balance of the two nights.

Cons: There really aren't any cons for this one. It seems like everybody wins, except the casual fans that find themselves at rarities night and have to endure "Your Blue Room" followed by "A Different Kind of Blue" and "Pete the Chop."

Read more: U2's Upcoming Tour: Three Fan-Friendly Scenarios | Music News | Rolling Stone
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Here's an article from the Mirror. Bono thoughts on Mick Jagger's 70th Birthday.
Mick Jagger's wrinkles make him more beautiful says U2 rocker Bono - 3am & Mirror Online

It's from an interview from a German newspaper. Here's the original article, however it's in German. There's a lot more to it then what the Mirror printed. I can't read German so I tried Bing translation. You get the gist of the interview. I've provided links to both.

Siebzig plus - Nachrichten Print - WELT AM SONNTAG - DIE WELT

www.welt.de/print/wams/article118236083/Siebzig-plus.html - Translator

^ Thanks, I have been looking for this interview all day. I didn't know it happened, I was away on holiday.

It's basically about Bono admiring Mick for aging gracefully and having a strict discipline when it comes to eating, fitness and vocal training. He also tells a story about falling asleep when he saw his first Stones concert as a very young man. Bono says it was because he was so exhausted and jet lagged. He says he can sleep well if the music is really loud and he once fell asleep at a Sonic Youth concert :lol:

He also talks about performing with Mick during the Hall of fame 25 anniversary show. Says he was honored to be on stage with legends like Bruce and Patti, and that Mick blew him away with his energy. Bono says all he could do is "stand there, sing and stare" at Mick during the performance. They did something "Morocco-style" with "Gimme shelter".

He goes on to talk about being invited to another birthday party by Mick some years ago in the South of France where he sang a very slow motion version of "Satisfaction" with another band. He says Mick is very old school and elegant and a very good businessman.

Bono says he's a friend and a fan of Mick. There's a friendly rivalry between the Stones and U2, both want to have big shows because they want people to get something for their money.

He briefly talks about the new U2 album, says they've been "in a deep black hole" working on an album, very isolated from the rest of the world. Says it could be out within the next week or by the end of the year, no clear date yet.

We don't know Dallas was with Bono. Because ANYONE can put ANYTHING on twitter. :shrug: So I kinda agree with Comet, this stuff is not news. It's rumours at most, so to put them in the album thread is fine, but this thread is for news. Like, actual news.

And you're right ARW. I thought the name seemed familiar. It is one of the former teen Plebans, probably around 16 right now. Yeah, fat chance anything she says is true.

This type of remark is the reason why I stopped being a payed member of Interference. I hope to come here for news and pleasant interactions with many who actually are very good people. But this type of talk is just WRONG!

I'm not posting this because I've had negative experiences with this poster before (and I have) or to stir up trouble, I'm posting hoping this will stop so myself and others can come here without wishing they hadn't!

No need to respond other than perhaps apologizing to the "so called" Teen PLEBan!

Yeah I'd like to only address this topic once more to clarify why I posted what I did before. I just think it feels kind of weird and rude for people to be copying, pasting and analyzing the Twitter posts by people who many Interferencers here know. I know it's been mentioned around before but maybe some people didn't see it. :shrug: Anyone can post whatever they want here, go ahead, there aren't any rules for that. I guess I just think it's not very nice.

Yeah I'd like to only address this topic once more to clarify why I posted what I did before. I just think it feels kind of weird and rude for people to be copying, pasting and analyzing the Twitter posts by people who many Interferencers here know. I know it's been mentioned around before but maybe some people didn't see it. :shrug: Anyone can post whatever they want here, go ahead, there aren't any rules for that. I guess I just think it's not very nice.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom