PLEBA Misc News, Stories and Articles #9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono is giving an interview right now:

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/

For those who missed it in the album forum:

Bono says "Invisible" is from the new album, the band wanted to give a "sneak peek" into the new album, no release date announced, though.

Says he was surprised how quickly the band agreed to take part in the campaign for (RED).

Talks about getting corporate partners to fight AIDS via the Global Fund, also Africa, corruption, transparency etc.

Edit: Here you can listen back to the Bono part of the show:

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/13240/7219/24th_January_2014_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_1

I haven't been able to find the interview on the station's website, but I'm pretty sure it will be available sooner or later.

i can see what B-man is doing, and i understand that the ultimate goal is good, but what i find really hard is how he makes these wankers look like knights in shining armour, giving what is really a tiny amount compared to their bonuses with one hand, while wreaking merry hell with sovereign economies throughout the world with the other

You don't need to find this hard. Because really, it isn't.

How the hell would you expect (RED) to raise such a huge amount in such a short amount of time in any other way?

That is the way it goes. You need to hang around with the devil (rich ass bankers) and coax them into giving them all your money.
Everyone knows about what CEO's and captains of BOA (and other banks) do and earn. That's not gonna change becuase Bono praises them a bit for supporting his campaign.

Its called sucking up and running away with them $$$$$ bills in your hand.

Better to have them spend a tiny amount of their money than nothing, I'd say. :shrug:

But let's focus on the IMPORTANT thing here. :D Little over a week from now we'll have the first single of U2's new record! For free! And U2.com gave us the scoop first! Pretty damn amazing for a dinosaur band to finally embrace the digital age. :cute:

And the only reason why its free.... Might just be Bank of America.
anyway , if its really part of the album. I'm intrigued. I'll hear it 2 days later probably.
there's no way in hell I'll be able to catch it on the day itself.

Well the British Prime Minister gave Bono an assignment and to that he mentiond that next year, 2015, would be 30 years since the 1st Live Aid concert (God that makes me feel old!) and that there's going to be something to commemorate the occasion but he was hoping that neither he nor Bob Geldof would be in anyway involved in the organization and that they would be there just as guests! :lol:

You don't need to find this hard. Because really, it isn't.

How the hell would you expect (RED) to raise such a huge amount in such a short amount of time in any other way?

That is the way it goes. You need to hang around with the devil (rich ass bankers) and coax them into giving them all your money.
Everyone knows about what CEO's and captains of BOA (and other banks) do and earn. That's not gonna change becuase Bono praises them a bit for supporting his campaign.

Its called sucking up and running away with them $$$$$ bills in your hand.

Slappin' em down...slappin 'em down....

$100! $200! $300!

Couldn't resist. Props to Bono for once again doing the dirty work. It doesn't matter who is coughing up the cash. All that matters is that it's going where it's needed for once. I'd much rather see those millions going to HIV/AIDS relief in Africa than in some fat-cat's pocket. :yes:

And as many others have said -- NEW MUSIC! :panic:

New music. Free. New album. New things. NEW NEW NEW!!! :loveshower:

Anybody heard approximately when during the Super Bowl that the commercial will air? (I despise football but absolutely don't want to miss this)

Bank Of America

Buy: One 60-second commercial between the first and second quarter to introduce a partnership among Bank of America, U2 and Red, the group co-founded by Bono to enlist brands in fighting disease, particularly HIV/AIDS.

Creative: The commercial will feature Bono and the rest of U2 performing a new song called "Invisible," which will be available free on iTunes during the game and over the next 24 hours. Bank of America said it will donate $1 for every download in that time, up to $2 million.

Agency: Hill Holliday in Boston and Mad Agency London

Super Bowl Ad Chart: Who's Buying What in Super Bowl 2014 | Special: Super Bowl - Advertising Age

https://twitter.com/U2uruguay/status/426846127842131968

It's right in that article just posted above you - it's scheduled to air between the 1st and 2nd quarters. :)

It's right in that article just posted above you - it's scheduled to air between the 1st and 2nd quarters. :)

Yeah, I saw that. But there are multiple commercial breaks. And it's well known that the "post-kickoff" commercial is usually a big one.

I don't think "between 1st and 2nd quarters" means right before the start of the 2nd quarter. :shrug: Then again, none of it matters. All that matters is that we get 60 glorious seconds of U2 and then get to go grab the song and FINALLY hear it! :hyper:

I dunno. It reads pretty straight-forward to me. I took it to mean it would be in the commercial break after the 1st quarter ended.

Looking at the rest of the ads discussed, some are vague ("sometime in the second quarter"), but some are quite specific:

Buy: One 60-second Super Bowl commercial in the first ad break after the third quarter kick-off, according to Audi

Buy: One commercial in the first unscheduled time-out of the game

Buy: Two 60-second ads, both in the first quarter.

Gg , its 'murrica they tend to have commercial breaks every 5 or 10 minutes during some shows.

In Americal television, commercials are usually interrupted by movies and shows.

:lol: I knew that, but even football matches?

So the game isn't 'really' live on TV then? As I assume the game doesn't have breaks, then again I don't know anything about American Football, but I'd assume it has a halftime break like regular Football does. Or are there more to accomodate the commercials? :crack:

Man I can't imagine a footy match with multiple commercial breaks, I'd go mad lol.

They air the commercials during timeouts, and there is such a thing as a "tv timeout" where the game actually pauses, the players go to the sidelines, etc.

I've seen football games in person, and the tv timeouts are always amusing. :lol:

Oh, and there are breaks in between the quarters of play (break between 1st & 2nd, break between 3rd & 4th). Halftime is it's own beast, with a "2 minute warning" break when there is 2:00 of play in the 2nd quarter. And there is also another "2 minute warning" in the 4th quarter towards the end of the game. It's basically a bonus 30 sec timeout.

This is why American football is 60 minutes of play that takes at least 3 hours. :lmao: We have special math.

Motsepe Foundation donate R11 million to Aids campaign | The New Age Online
The Motsepe Foundation donated R11 million to U2 singer and activist Bono's (RED) campaign, which fights HIV/Aids, at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on Saturday, the foundaion announced.

"(RED) funds are fighting Aids in eight African countries – South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho, Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Zambia," spokesman Joe Latakgomo said in a statement.

Funds were used for HIV/Aids grants that provided treatment, testing, prevention, and care services, focused on was ending mother-to-child HIV transmission and achieving an Aids-free generation.

"Of the more than US240 million (about R2.6 billion) generated by (RED) to date, 100 percent has gone directly to The Global Fund for on-the-ground services, with no overhead taken out by (RED)," said Latakgomo.

(RED) and its partners – from Bank of America, to Starbucks, Apple and more – were united in a global push to end mother-to-child transmission of the HIV virus by 2015, in line with the UN Millennium Development Goals.

Foundation chairman Patrice Motsepe said, "Bono, the Gates Foundation, The Global Fund and various other donors and governments have done outstanding work in the fight against HIV/Aids, malaria and tuberculosis, but there is still a lot of work to be done."

South Africa and the rest of Africa were indebted to them, with the South African government also doing good work in this regard.

GG, in American football they schedule breaks in the game for commercials, and they also have short ones ready to roll every time there's a break in the play. It's one reason why football games like 3.5 hours. Beyond tedious.

They air the commercials during timeouts, and there is such a thing as a "tv timeout" where the game actually pauses, the players go to the sidelines, etc.

I've seen football games in person, and the tv timeouts are always amusing. :lol:

Oh, and there are breaks in between the quarters of play (break between 1st & 2nd, break between 3rd & 4th). Halftime is it's own beast, with a "2 minute warning" break when there is 2:00 of play in the 2nd quarter. And there is also another "2 minute warning" in the 4th quarter towards the end of the game. It's basically a bonus 30 sec timeout.

This is why American football is 60 minutes of play that takes at least 3 hours. :lmao: We have special math.

:crack: wow what the heck. Why do you guys accept this shite to interrupt your game?

Here you have a half of 45 minutes, break 15 minutes with 5 minutes discussion, 5 minutes commercials, 5 minutes discussion, then next 45 minutes, done. There'd be riots if they paused the game for a commercial!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom