PLEBA Misc News and Articles #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a nice story about Bono from this celebrity gossip page:

Regis Philbin and Tony Danza give staffers a workout after managers at Reebok Sports Club try to shoo them from rooftop terrace - NY Daily News

BONO BRINGS AID TO NEW YORKERS

OC61 Salon owner Louise O’Connor found a famous Good Samaritan to help her with a very heavy package. While struggling to carry some goods to her car on Madison Ave. recently, a passerby saw her and ran to help, an onlooker tells us. “This very nice man turns up, said, ‘I saw you trying to carry that, can I help?’ and she looks up and it’s Bono,” a spy tells us. “He helped her and she didn’t even realize it was him until he walked away, and she said ‘That was Bono!’ Louise is Irish [like the U2 front man], so it was extra special.”

I still think it would be interesting if they went with the artist who Bono posed and met with on the rooftop in NY not long ago. Could be really a good match for an album made in NY too. : hmm:

oh mannnnn........,
i thought I'd gotten over this (will explain) in a big way.....but I guess NOT!

Early on back when U2 were (or about to go ) touring for what eventually became Rattle & Hum Movie and I was still doing intermittent graphic deisgnand art I get a phone call from my sis.
>>>Hey, my friend's (or a close friend's friend) husband is a top executive at Island records. They are going to/doing a movie about touring the USA now .

I (my sis) told her that you were an artist/ graphic designer, AND a big U2 Fan. Could you give artwork to her husband to show the band for the new upcoming tour/album/movie.

She asked and he said yes! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: :hyper:

So off I go trying to come up with something I tentuvely titled
U2:Live In America. I was sooooooooo jazzed and sooooooo nervous.
Was doing this at night mostly with my office day jobs.
This was in late Nov 1987 or so.

Sometime in i think Feb 88 I was on a bus. Had bought a NY TImes to for a reason. BUT I suddenly see and recognized the name of a Island Rec top guy who'd just unexpectedly died.

THAT .....as i got a phone call from my sios that night .....was
her friend's Husband ...........

I felt I couldn't grieve for the lost of a possible dream come true ....since there was a death involved.

I just put it away deep inside....... am]nd I 'm SURE it was why I NEVE saw R&R IN the theater despite the fac t that my sis eraved about it ( seeing it in thearter).

ABout 4- 5 yrs ago people were re-talking about R&H here alot (PLEBANs) and it finally broiught out those memories :sad: . I Got alot of support fromn my friends here then.

Maybe NOW IF my Art making was going better (it's agonizing slow because of other outside conditions and some inner emotional stuff) and IF mentioning about Bono being in NYC (my :heart: home town) and talking to some artist maybe about new art foe the album or linked to it...... Larry T-shirts :lol::up: etc I would not be reacting so strongly again!

ick! I feel all miserable again! :crack:

I'm sure this'll come and go esp IF it is some artisit IN NYC doing something for band's new work etc. I KNOW I didn't react this way when NLOTHJ came out!

FUCCCCCKKKKKKKKK IT! :gah::gah: :gah:

/ends story and mini-rant

Bono to receive France's highest cultural honour < French news | Expatica France
France is to bestow its highest cultural honour on U2 singer Bono, a government statement said on Monday.

The Irish singer will be made a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters in a ceremony due to be held in Paris on Tuesday evening, the Ministry of Culture and Communication said.

Bono, a leading advocate of aid for Africa, founded the global anti-poverty group ONE to help fight poverty and disease on the continent.

The U2 lead singer has received numerous awards and honours for both his humanitarian work and services to music including France's Legion d'Honneur and an honorary knighthood from Britain.
Congrats to the B-Man. :applaud:

1005642_537132403012633_1022594583_n.jpg

HjySKzO.jpg

U2 frontman Bono receives France's highest cultural award | Reuters
(Reuters) - Irish rock star and anti-poverty activist Bono received France's highest cultural award on Tuesday for his contribution to music while being praised for using his fame to battle for humanitarian causes.

The frontman of the rock band U2 was presented with the Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters by French Culture Minister Aurelie Filippetti in a ceremony in Paris.

"Beyond notes and beyond words, you committed yourself and dedicated your fame and career to wage some of the greatest wars of our time. Not for charity's sake but in the name of justice," Filippetti said in a statement.

Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, said the award was a huge honour but it belonged to the band.

"I've got the biggest mouth and the loudest voice but the music we make comes from each other," he said in a statement.

Previous recipients of the award that dates back to 1957 include David Bowie, Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Bob Dylan, Bruce Willis and Shakira.

Bono, 53, has received a list of awards for his music and campaigning since forming U2 about 37 years ago, including being a nominee several times for the Nobel Peace Prize.

In 2005 he was named Time Magazine's Person of the Year and in 2007 he received an honorary knighthood from Queen Elizabeth.

Back
Top Bottom