PLEBA Misc News and Articles #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is quite damaging, because random people don't care about reasoning behind things. WE know the tax thing is bullshit, but it sounds so much more fun to shout BONO IS A TAX AVOIDER, so that's what people do. Lectures aren't going to change that, idiots are idiots.

:shrug:

How is it damaging? Because people hate on U2 and Bono in particular on the internet? What's new about that? Because some folks decide to let loose a few balloons at Glastonbury? Shock Horror.

I understand the critisicm totally, but as long as U2 sell out concerts I'm not worried. They still live in Ireland. They have always polarized, haters on one side, avid fans on the other side. The tax issue is just one more stone in this whole picture.

Bono's campaigning has been the center of critisism for years now. The internet provides a platform for everyone's and anyone's opinion. Sometimes it's better not to read comments. Arguments just won't make it any better.

It kind of makes me sad that U2 feel the need to defend themselves by being open about these good deeds (like many other celebrities). I know that's something that they don't normally do, so I just hope it's just Paul talking his way out of a corner. If that's what this is. Not to disapprove of this, though; it's great that they do it. I'd rather U2 be reviled as tax-dodging hypocrites than be much-loved, but truly hypocritical, charity show-offs.

I agree.

Who cares about the tax stuff anyway? I'd like to see all the nay-sayers go put an additional withholding on THEIR W-4 and pay some extra taxes, just because. Why would rich people be looking for any less loopholes than the rest of us?

"Incredible damaging" is an exaggeration.

it's not an exaggeration at all - over the past few years it's sadly been brought up absolutely everywhere as ammunition against U2/B-man - it probably hasn't hurt U2 but it has certainly affected the general public's perception of them

And I'm not your "love".

i was being bitchy :D (you were preaching to the choir and god knows how many times we've been over this whole issue in here and it gets very tedious)

At least they know where the money is going, :wink: if they pay that money to the Goverment, who knows who would get it :crack:

Yeah, if it's anything like America, it would do more good to flush their money down the toilet than give it to the government. It would probably be more likely to reach someone who really needs it! :wink:

How is it damaging? Because people hate on U2 and Bono in particular on the internet? What's new about that? Because some folks decide to let loose a few balloons at Glastonbury? Shock Horror.

Mox Of Balloon :D (sorry)

But it doesn't matter who you like they are still rabid fans/haters out there. Those who have obsessive fan ownership and think that they have every right to tell others how to live their lives and careers. But lets face it, I know this but have I ever thought of this when I've seen another nasty post on Den Of The Geek?

From @U2.

As for financing, this year there has been very little. Nothing confirmed so far. The Irish star Bono has promised to help after his surprise visit and stage appearance in last year’s edition. He often sends sympathetic messages of moral support. Bono is more involved and committed to the global caravan. He is in charge of this initiative, along with big names in the American cinema and media. At this stage, they are studying the feasibility of the project in different countries across North America, Europe, Middle East, Asia and elsewhere in Africa. The first event in this world tour is expected in April. It is aimed at raising awareness of the conflict and helping to alleviate the suffering of refugees.

Mali’s Festival au Désert | Manny Ansar: “We remain optimists, despite the circumstances” | Ceasefire Magazine

Wow! A Yahoo article mentioning U2 where the comments below are actually positive! Now that's something to treasure.

Rolling Stones, U2 in Muscle Shoals Documentary

Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger, Stones guitarist Keith Richards and U2’s Bono are set to appear in Muscle Shoals, an upcoming documentary about the music that was recorded at two legendary recording studios in Muscle Shoals, Ala. The flick follows the competition between the city’s FAME Recording Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. Look for it to premiere Jan. 26 at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah.

Heaps of influential songs were recorded at either FAME or Muscle Shoals, including Aretha Franklin's “Do Right Woman,” The Stones' “Brown Sugar” and “Wild Horses,” the Staple Singers' “I'll Take You There,” Paul Simon's “Loves Me Like a Rock,” Bob Seger’s “Night Moves” and Bob Dylan's “Gotta Serve Somebody,” to name a few.

Other musicians that appear in the documentary include Gregg Allman, Franklin, Steve Winwood, Sledge and the late Etta James, FAME Studios founder Rick Hall and more. Alicia Keys also makes her mark in the film with a special performance of a tune Dylan first recorded in Muscle Shoals.

Those heading to Sundance will be able to catch Muscle Shoals at 3:30 p.m. local time at Eccles Theatre in Park City.

Did anyone see this article? This car was actually once owned by Bono so if anyone has a spare 40,000 Euros..What is the conversion in American dollars?

Little Desire for Bono's classic Merc as eBay sale gets no bids - National News - Independent.ie

The stereo system might be interesting but I don't really care for the cow hide interior. It just screams rockstar!

Oh, as usual, don't read the comments....

Yeah I saw it, on sale again! :giggle: That car has been sold so many times!

@U2Venezuela1

Based on my scientific knowlege, I found out that "U2" is tweeted 7, 035 times per second

Does this count as news? :lol:

:nerd: Unemployed biologist in tha house :nerd:

Oh!, you can follow me if you want :D

Might be as Bono... not so good with the ol' driving. Heaven knows what kind of wear his 'skills' put on that car.

Did anyone see this article? This car was actually once owned by Bono so if anyone has a spare 40,000 Euros..What is the conversion in American dollars?

Little Desire for Bono's classic Merc as eBay sale gets no bids - National News - Independent.ie

The stereo system might be interesting but I don't really care for the cow hide interior. It just screams rockstar!

Oh, as usual, don't read the comments....

Back
Top Bottom