PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Concert line up for the Aung San Suu Kyi concert in Dublin on 18 June. At the moment only Bono is listed amongst the perfomers (rather than U2)
Electric Burma

Also came across this lovely interview with Glen Hansard where he tells a few Bono stories
Glen Hansard (Page 2) • Interviews • exclaim.ca

It's funny how there are so many Bono haters around who mouth off about him at any opportunity but it seems anyone who has ever met him only has good things to say about him.

Thanks for the info Greenlight! :up: I do hope all of U2 make an apprearance at the Suu Kyi event, would so love to hear them perform Walk On together again!! :hyper:

And yes, I've made that same observation, that when it comes to Bono, to know him is to love him, and those who hate on him actually says more about them and their issues and has nothing to do with Bono himself. :wink:

Also came across this lovely interview with Glen Hansard where he tells a few Bono stories
Glen Hansard (Page 2) • Interviews • exclaim.ca

It's funny how there are so many Bono haters around who mouth off about him at any opportunity but it seems anyone who has ever met him only has good things to say about him.

I remember reading an excerpt from a interview with Blur's Damon Albarn where he said that he couldn't stand Bono because of a uncomfortable meeting with him.

I can't remember the exact words because it's been ages since I read it, Albarn was still with Blur then.

I bet if you are an asshat when you meet him, you get what you deserve. Unless everyone was drinking. All bets are off when booze is involved.

Bono is collaborating on 1 song on K'naan's new album, at the end of the interview:

“Bullet the Red, White, and Blue Sky” by Matthew McKinnon | The Walrus Blog

Bono will be a guest on your new album. Hows does that work?

K’naan: Excellent. It works excellently. Yeah, man. The song that he fell in love with, [“Bulletproof Pride,”] he came in and did some beautiful vocals on it. It’s such a strange thing to have done something with one of the biggest stars in the world. But in the time we were working on the song, I didn’t see him in that way. Because the truth is that we were both servants of the song, so there’s no time to be fans. We’re both holding up the song to its best potential. We did that, and then I was like, “Oh my God, there’s Bono on my song!”

I remember reading an excerpt from a interview with Blur's Damon Albarn where he said that he couldn't stand Bono because of a uncomfortable meeting with him.

I can't remember the exact words because it's been ages since I read it, Albarn was still with Blur then.

I'm sure that even Bono has his off days, although being bias I'll give Bono the benefit of the doubt. :sexywink: Also knowing Bono really well, which is what I meant, and a single brief meeting, and under what circumtances we don't know, are two totally different things! :hmm:

I bet if you are an asshat when you meet him, you get what you deserve. Unless everyone was drinking. All bets are off when booze is involved.

I don't know that much about Damon Albarn to be sure if he's an asshat (funny word, I've never heard that one before) or not. I preferred Blur over Oasis but Albarn had this type of facial expressions that I interpreted as cold and nasty. Maybe he's a nice guy but he looked as welcoming as Eminem.

Back in the 90s when I read that excerpt of the Albarn interview I had no clear idea what Bono's personality was like because all I saw was this rock-star character. In the eighties videos he seemed very serious and shy, a stark contrast to the Bono of the ZooTv.
He seemed completely different again under the Pop-era, like someone who would punch you for asking the time.

It's not before I started to read more in dept interviews with the guy that my previous impressions of him were changed.

No, I do agree with you with on the perception of Bono in the media growing up. I always thought Bono was very serious in the 80's. I only saw glimpses of humor then. Now having more access to earlier interviews and videos, I see that he was quite funny - maybe a bit dry.
So when Zoo rolled around and he was a bit more like him himself (okay...maybe on HGH) it was sooo different. And like you, I was scared of Pop Bono too. He seemed to have a HUGE chip on his shoulder (which I find very sexy now but at the time was a bit of a turn off).

Of course now that we have access to all the interviews that didn't air on MTV which for me was the main source of info, it's interesting to see how he hasn't changed that much - just how much we saw might have changed. But Pop Bono still makes me uneasy....

Did I just really write a dissertation on this? Christ. That iced coffee is strong.

No, I do agree with you with on the perception of Bono in the media growing up. I always thought Bono was very serious in the 80's. I only saw glimpses of humor then. Now having more access to earlier interviews and videos, I see that he was quite funny - maybe a bit dry.
So when Zoo rolled around and he was a bit more like him himself (okay...maybe on HGH) it was sooo different. And like you, I was scared of Pop Bono too. He seemed to have a HUGE chip on his shoulder (which I find very sexy now but at the time was a bit of a turn off).

Of course now that we have access to all the interviews that didn't air on MTV which for me was the main source of info, it's interesting to see how he hasn't changed that much - just how much we saw might have changed. But Pop Bono still makes me uneasy....

Did I just really write a dissertation on this? Christ. That iced coffee is strong.

Yes the huge access to interviews on the internet helps getting a much better understanding of the person. I did collect all the magazines where I could find U2 interviews and articles, and I also bought some of the books about U2 but my English was very poor at that time, so it took some years before I could read them properly without having to use a dictionary to understand every sentence.

Taking the public persona of Bono (I remember the Norwegian music-reviewers were put-off by the Pop character) I can see were the haters are coming from but I'm surprised they can't differentiate between stage personas and the person behind all that.

I asked my Bono-hating friend if he had read any in dept interview with Bono, because with internet it's no excuse not to have enough info before criticizing someone. That's something about Bono-bashers that I can't take serious, they don't seem to know their subject-of-hate very well.

GraceRyan said:
... it's interesting to see how he hasn't changed that much - just how much we saw might have changed.

So true- I recently watched an interview from 1983 that one of you lovely ladies posted here, and I was really taken with how similar Bono was then to how he is now-personality, balance of humor/serious, etc. I think he knows when to "play the part" when he has to (the Fly, Pop era, TJT...) but overall he's the same person he's always been. Which is refreshing in showbiz.

I suppose there's always an exception to the rule, Bono can't be nice to everyone! Damon comes across as a bit mouthy sometimes but I thought when U2 had to pull out of Glastonbury due to Bono's bad back and Damon's band Gorillaz stood in he said some nice things about U2/Bono and there was some story he told about him sitting on Bono's lap in a taxi going to a club so they must have kissed and made up at some point.

And if it is the British press....they've been known to bend the truth at times. Whatever. Everyone join hands and sing a psalm.

http://www.atu2.com/news/bono-u2s-best-3-weeks-in-the-studio-since-1979.html

bonolatelateshowbest506-1-2012.jpg

Bono: U2's 'Best 3 Weeks In the Studio Since 1979'

@U2, June 01, 2012
By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

Bono made a (somewhat) surprise appearance on RTE TV tonight in Ireland during the 50th anniversary special for The Late Late Show, and he made a few interesting comments about U2's album progress.

Host Ryan Tubridy began by asking Bono what the band is up to currently.

"Looking for the perfect pop song. Edge is in denial of his genius. I'm a little too sure of my own. Larry is suspicious of both and Adam sees merit in both. They're unbelievable. They really want it, though, I will say that. As a band there's no sense of entitlement. I think they're very aware that U2's gotta do something very special to have a reason to exist right now, so that's what we're doing. We're song writing -- you know the process. But it's -- they're amazing men. They really are extraordinary. They really, really want it."

"There won't be a U2 album unless there's something really special. You just gotta go to that place. You gotta dig a deep well and see what you can pull up. We've been through many songs and there's some great stuff. I would say we had the best three weeks in the studio that we've had since, like, 1979. Three weeks is all it should take...."

Later in the interview, he says he knows U2 has a great song "because the band will stop arguing."

You can watch the show online via RTE, but it may only be viewable for the next three weeks. Bono's segment starts at the 2:00:00 mark, and then he starts talking about the album at about 2:03:00.

I neeeeeeeded some good news today. I'm going to ignore the fact that he's been in the US and London for the past three weeks, and just go with GOOD NEWS OUT OF THE STUDIO! :hyper:

Thanks so much for the link to video! :bow: Bono's looking mighty fine, and the interview was indeed very funny, but I'll take with a pinch of salt his promises about the new U2 album being ready anytime soon!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom