PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thought police. I like Penn as an actor-- I'm enjoying him in "Milk". Whoops, not saying anything U2 related so I better say: the "VIP tix" are definitely a laugh-worthy scam (lol, IOU, as someone said), but who knows whether the bit about Bono's guitar is real? Penn is definitely friends with Bono, as there was the article that he and his ex-gf were seen together at Bono's recent birthday party, right? So I won't be surprised if Bono did help Penn out by donating (one of) his guitars

Does anyone have a downloaded version of Bono's speech? I cannot download any of these videos and can't find anything on You Tube. A mp3 audio would also be nice.

Btw, it's stil annoying to read so many spiteful comments from people whenever Bono says something about Africa these days. I can totally understand people's cynicm, especially in times like these and it is indeed an unfortunate coincidence that the news of Bono's facebook deal - true or not - has been made public now. There's a lot of jusified critisicm, however, it's still hard to differentiate between those who really know something about that matter and those who simply hate because it's Bono. Even though I know I shouldn't care after all these years, I find it really hard to see all this hate. On the other hand, I don't want to totally ignore it because some of the critisicm is surely legit. But what else should he do? Stay silent? I think it's a real dilemma and I'm glad I'm not in his shoes.

I agree you with Silvia, that a lot of the nasty comments made about Bono and his work concerning Africa, is just not fair or legit! But I also believe that working for the poorest of the poor isn't so much a dilema for Bono but it seems definately a dilema for some people!? I mean, a lot of other celebs are involved with different charities, and they live equally, and in a lot of cases even more, lavish life styles than Bono, but I don't see them getting no where near as much shite thrown at them about it as Bono does!?! :huh: I just don't understand where the root of all that hate comes from?! :shrug:

If you're interested...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=11895390&l=2bff346d0c&id=153356465241

556907_10150984371840242_153356465241_11895390_11015203_n.jpg

I wonder if it because he's tenacious. He uses the media and makes no apologies for it. Most celebrities either lose interest or just go quiet. George Clooney sometimes will start making noise about Darfur. Brad Pit has quieted his rhetoric on New Orleans. But the type of campaigning Bono is doing is different. He's not asking us to hand over money. Yes, he's asking us to consider Red products. He's asking us to talk to our leaders. He understands that times are tough but is trying to convey that to abandon the initiative is much worse in the long run. I'd like to actually see these people writing these comments. Have they educated themselves on the topic?
My husband can be like that too and it's annoying. Granted, I think that comes from jealousy. But he was one of those who said Bono could buy Africa and fix it. I gave him an earful of some facts. But he will admit that he's joking when we sit and watch an interview or speech.

Very nice article with a lot of true points, but I'm always reluctant to read something coming from an obvious Christian background which has the names Jesus and Bono in the same headline.

last unicorn said:
Very nice article with a lot of true points, but I'm always reluctant to read something coming from an obvious Christian background which has the names Jesus and Bono in the same headline.

I know what you mean however I think skeptical is how I am when it comes to those headlines. This article was from huffington post and was quite nice after all. Especially after all the negativity and assumptions press has had about Bono's investments.

I have to admit, when I first read the headline, I thought they were proclaiming that Bono was the "Jesus of the poor" and my reaction was "Um .... isn't Jesus the Jesus of the poor?"

Ha.

Yes, the article is very good, indeed, and it's nice, for a change, to read something more constructive and reasonable about Bono's work than the usual hate tirades.

Didn't I say?! I had a feeling that Bono would be back in Ireland for this event with Suu Kyi! Silvia i.e. Last Unicorn posted an link to a short article about Suu Kyi coming to Ireland, and I just knew it!! :D

Let's see if the rumour turns out to be true. It would be great, of course, but I would prefer to see the whole band. It would be a great opportunity to see the band perform again and it would also make sense because they, as a band, have been promoting the Burmese causes for so many years, not only Bono alone.

Would be pretty cool if they did an impromptu Walk on! But either way, this meeting should be interesting. Bono has been working so hard for her cause, and now with the whole band and tour supporting her, the liberation is such a sweet reward!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom