PLEBA Misc News and Articles #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Please continue here.

The boys are back in town for the latest Guggi show - News & Gossip, Entertainment - Independent.ie

The boys are back in town for the latest Guggi show

Sunday April 25 2010

The gang's all here. Or at least most of them. (I'll get to Simon Carmody in a second.)

This Thursday, Bono, Gavin Friday, John Rocha et al will be in New York for their VBF Guggi's new exhibition. (Alas Simon Carmody, I'm reliably informed, won't be able to make it.) The artist himself, who is jetting out on Tuesday morning on a volcanic ash-resistant Aer Lingus flight to JFK, told me that the ultra-private viewing of his new work at the Yoshii Gallery on Madison Avenue in New York will be attended by his close circle of friends.

John and Gavin are expected to travel over with Gugs. Bono has no need for the Manhattan transfer as he has been living in New York with wife Ali while they get their house in Killiney done up.

Guggi added that the main piece in the new series is titled War and Peace. "I'd taken random sections from Tolstoy's War and Peace and used them. I've always liked how Russian looks written down -- it has had an effect on me since I was young," he said. "There is writing in Russian on a worn blackboard, a darkened grey and crimson blackboard. It is my most minimal work."

Another one in the series called Numbers, is based on the Book of Numbers in the Old Testament. "It is a continuation of my last work at Dublin's Kerlin Gallery exhibition last March," he said. "There are representations of objects and line drawings . . ."

OK, OK. I promise to buy one on the night but I have one caveat: Guggi stops Bono from launching the exhibition with one of his messianic ramblings.

Or there'll be War.

- Barry Egan

Sunday Independent

'You come too,' U2 tells boss of security firm

The Age (Australia), April 25, 2010
By: Suzanne Carbone​

When rock band U2 embarks on its five-month world tour in June, Bono and the gang will be accompanied by Melbourne security company boss Andrew Wolveridge. A regular and trusty face guarding red carpets across town, Wolveridge worked with U2 during the Australian leg of its 2006 Vertigo tour and was approached by the group's head of security to co-ordinate the 2010 shows. Wolveridge will oversee logistics at stadiums in the U.S., Helsinki, Moscow, Istanbul, Paris, Rome and many more stops in between. What to pack for the northern hemisphere summer? Definitely Bono-style sunnies. Wolveridge has worked with the Rolling Stones, Pink, Priscilla Presley, Taylor Swift, Harry Connick Jr., Nelson Mandela and Mikhail Gorbachev but the ultimate endorsement came from Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf. The general told Wolveridge: "Thanks for another great trip with superb security." It's no surprise that U2, when deciding to go with or without him, jumped at going with him.

© The Age, 2010

For everyone in Brazil:

Multishow celebrates the birthday of Bono with a big present for fans

The date on which the leader of U2 turns 50 years old, displays channel exclusively in Brazil to show U2 Live 360

Bono, the leader of U2, completes 50 years in 2010 and Multishow celebrates the anniversary with a big present for the fans. The channel displays an exclusive U2 concert in Brazil, 360 Live, recorded in 2009 in Los Angeles, USA.

With an audience of 100 000 people present, the presentation is part of a tour of the world's most expensive. Besides singing the great hits from 'Beautiful Day' to 'Where The Streets Have No Name' shows the special backstage scenes of the presentation.

After the main display on the TV, the presentation will be available for two weeks at the site of the channel

Strong security team:ohmy::shifty:

It might be more to coordinate with local security at shows, so the article seems to point with the 'oversee the logistics'.

In that, it will hopefully help avoid the dangerous clusterf*ck that happened with security in Pasadena.

So strong security? Not in the sense of being pushy to the fans. Strong security can mean SAFE conditions for both fans and the band. And with what I've seen at a few shows this tour, someone to work out things with the local security will be good for all and make for a better less stressful show for fans and band alike.

^ its to keep us PLEBAns away from Bono :shifty: :lol::D
Yeah...damn it:angry::lol:

For everyone in Brazil:

The date on which the leader of U2 turns 50 years old, displays channel exclusively in Brazil to show U2 Live 360

Bono, the leader of U2, completes 50 years in 2010 and Multishow celebrates the anniversary with a big present for the fans. The channel displays an exclusive U2 concert in Brazil, 360 Live, recorded in 2009 in Los Angeles, USA.

With an audience of 100 000 people present, the presentation is part of a tour of the world's most expensive. Besides singing the great hits from 'Beautiful Day' to 'Where The Streets Have No Name' shows the special backstage scenes of the presentation.

After the main display on the TV, the presentation will be available for two weeks at the site of the channel

Yesh,of course I'll watch it:hyper::hyper:
Here,it's the commercial video:
YouTube - Comercial do especial 'Bono 50 Anos', no canal Multishow

can't wait for it:heart::applaud:

Is Larry co-starring a film?!! :ohmy: (check out the link)

be5ca62e4a82bbc5f212467.jpg

Orangeville Article: Lights, camera, action ... Orangeville goes Hollywood

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bono wants you!
The Irish rock star-activist is asking war veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan to help fight global poverty by sharing their experiences with the humanitarian side of counterinsurgency operations.
The ONE Campaign, which Bono co-founded, is launching “Development: Mission Critical” and already has enlisted more than 50 combat veterans who “have seen the importance of development firsthand by serving on humanitarian missions,” according to a campaign release. Those projects erase ungoverned spaces where terrorism thrives.
Retired Captain James Smith, former JAG officer in the National Guard and now a South Carolina house delegate, served on Police Mentor Teams in remote areas of Afghanistan. "We saw the rule of law established," he said, where it had not existed for 30 years.
Bono met secretly with Defense Sec. Robert Gates at the Pentagon in 2008 and talked Africa.
“As leading military leaders and security experts have argued, effective development not only can save millions of lives, but can also help strengthen our national security, prevent future strife and add to America’s global leadership,” the ONE Campaign says. Only two percent of civil wars occurred in the countries with the highest standards of living between 1997 and 2001, they note.
So Bono is expected to ask vets to join him in lobbying for a bigger U.S. foreign assistance budget.
Bono will announce this and more about the military’s role in humanitarian work at the Atlantic Council, a Washington think tank, on Wednesday. Bono will receive a humanitarian leadership award, while Adm. Mike Mullen will introduce the recipients of the Distinguished Military Leadership Awards, General Stéphane Abrial, supreme allied commander, transformation, and Gen. James Mattis, USMC, commander of U.S. Joint Forces Command.
Former President Bill Clinton and Dr. Josef Ackermann, of Deutsche Bank AG, also will be recognized.
But not all will cheer Bono's efforts to mix the military into humanitarian more, not less, than it already is.
For more on why some of the leading global aid groups want a firewall from military objectives, see: Mixing fighting and food in Afghanistan
UPDATE: ONE, of which Bono is co-founder and a director, notes they do not know the content of Bono's speech to the Atlantic Council except that "he will speak about the nexus between development and national security," according to spokeswoman Kimberly Hunter.

I'm really bummed, my dad went to D.C. today for 2 weeks and I could've went with him...I could've met Bono if I went!!!!!!!!!!!! :| :gah::sigh:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bono wants you!
The Irish rock star-activist is asking war veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan to help fight global poverty by sharing their experiences with the humanitarian side of counterinsurgency operations.
The ONE Campaign, which Bono co-founded, is launching “Development: Mission Critical” and already has enlisted more than 50 combat veterans who “have seen the importance of development firsthand by serving on humanitarian missions,” according to a campaign release. Those projects erase ungoverned spaces where terrorism thrives.
Retired Captain James Smith, former JAG officer in the National Guard and now a South Carolina house delegate, served on Police Mentor Teams in remote areas of Afghanistan. "We saw the rule of law established," he said, where it had not existed for 30 years.
Bono met secretly with Defense Sec. Robert Gates at the Pentagon in 2008 and talked Africa.
“As leading military leaders and security experts have argued, effective development not only can save millions of lives, but can also help strengthen our national security, prevent future strife and add to America’s global leadership,” the ONE Campaign says. Only two percent of civil wars occurred in the countries with the highest standards of living between 1997 and 2001, they note.
So Bono is expected to ask vets to join him in lobbying for a bigger U.S. foreign assistance budget.
Bono will announce this and more about the military’s role in humanitarian work at the Atlantic Council, a Washington think tank, on Wednesday. Bono will receive a humanitarian leadership award, while Adm. Mike Mullen will introduce the recipients of the Distinguished Military Leadership Awards, General Stéphane Abrial, supreme allied commander, transformation, and Gen. James Mattis, USMC, commander of U.S. Joint Forces Command.
Former President Bill Clinton and Dr. Josef Ackermann, of Deutsche Bank AG, also will be recognized.
But not all will cheer Bono's efforts to mix the military into humanitarian more, not less, than it already is.
For more on why some of the leading global aid groups want a firewall from military objectives, see: Mixing fighting and food in Afghanistan
UPDATE: ONE, of which Bono is co-founder and a director, notes they do not know the content of Bono's speech to the Atlantic Council except that "he will speak about the nexus between development and national security," according to spokeswoman Kimberly Hunter.

http://tweet.papermashup.com/delive...listing-military-support-anti-poverty-efforts

I'm really bummed, my dad went to D.C. today for 2 weeks and I could've went with him...I could've met Bono if I went!!!!!!!!!!!! :| :gah::sigh:

For everyone in Brazil:

I don't stay away from tv in this day!
Right Andreia? :hyper:
:wave:

WASHINGTON - U2 singer Bono is in Washington to receive an honor from the Atlantic Council, along with former President Bill Clinton. Bono will receive the first Humanitarian Leadership Award on Wednesday from the think tank, which promotes international affairs.

The group will honor Clinton for his international leadership that led to the Dayton Accords, peace negotiations in Northern Ireland and other achievements. Other honorees include Deutsche Bank chief executive Josef Ackermann, U.S. Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis and French Air Force Gen. Stephane Abrial.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Sen. John McCain and National Security Adviser James Jones are expected to share the stage at the black-tie event.
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0410/730456.html

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't go to D.C. this week :gah::grumpy:
lol well there's always next time though....I hope someone is gonna be there tonight taken pics of everything!! :)

Evening Herald, April 28, 2010
By: Caitlin McBride​

A SECRET song composed by U2 around 30 years ago is to be revealed in the new film Killing Bono.

The Herald can revealed that the song, "Secret Mission," was recorded by the band shortly after they formed but it has never been heard by the public before.

Despite being three decades old, the song is only coming to light now because of the film's music producer, Ciaran Gribbin, who was given the thumbs- up by the band to rework some of their earliest material for the actors to perform.

Dream

The Derry singer said he was brought in as a music supervisor and producer for the highly anticipated film and found it a "dream come true" to work with the raw song.

"Hopefully everyone will be really happy with it," he told the Herald. "It's an absolute dream come true. I've been writing music for a long, long time -- I did eight songs for the movie -- but it remains to be seen how it came out in the end. I hope the public will get it. I'm confident with what I've got though.

"It was written before U2 ever existed. They never officially released it, they recorded it when they were teenagers and called themselves The Hype. They were probably 16 or 17, it's one of their first ever songs. You can hear where they were going with it though. It has that early punk angst that you would find in a teen band -- but there are hints of where they were going with October in there also."

Gribbin said the majority of people involved in the film have close ties to the legendary band.

"There's a strong U2 connection with the team actually making the film. One of the producers was U2's agent when they first got signed, so they obviously know and trust him," he added. He approached them saying they needed an early song for that first school gig scene, and they were happy to oblige.

The singer, who performs under the stage name Joe Echo, said that he hopes his version does U2 justice.

Killing Bono just been picked up by Paramount Pictures and is set for a national release here and in the UK by the end of the year.
(c) Evening Herald, 2010.

U2, Bob Dylan producer Daniel Lanois to play rare London show

Lanois to play with Black Dub at Camden's Jazz Café
April 28, 2010

U2 producer Daniel Lanois will play a rare show in London with his current project Black Dub this summer.

The Canadian will play the Jazz Café in Camden with his band on July 27.

Lanois worked with Brian Eno to co-produce the 1984 U2 album 'The Unforgettable Fire', before the duo paired up again to work on the Irish rockers' follw-up, 1987's massive-selling 'The Joshua Tree'.

On Bono’s recommendation Lanois produced Bob Dylan’s 1989 album 'Oh Mercy' and later the Grammy Award-winning 'Time Out of Mind', released in 1997.

Lanois has also produced for Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson, more recently working with Dashboard Confessional.

To check the availability of Black Dub tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/TICKETS now, or call 0871 230 1094.

U2, Bob Dylan producer Daniel Lanois to play rare London show | News | NME.COM

U2, Bob Dylan producer Daniel Lanois to play rare London show

Lanois to play with Black Dub at Camden's Jazz Café
April 28, 2010

U2 producer Daniel Lanois will play a rare show in London with his current project Black Dub this summer.

The Canadian will play the Jazz Café in Camden with his band on July 27.

Lanois worked with Brian Eno to co-produce the 1984 U2 album 'The Unforgettable Fire', before the duo paired up again to work on the Irish rockers' follw-up, 1987's massive-selling 'The Joshua Tree'.

On Bono’s recommendation Lanois produced Bob Dylan’s 1989 album 'Oh Mercy' and later the Grammy Award-winning 'Time Out of Mind', released in 1997.

Lanois has also produced for Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson, more recently working with Dashboard Confessional.

To check the availability of Black Dub tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/TICKETS now, or call 0871 230 1094.

U2, Bob Dylan producer Daniel Lanois to play rare London show | News | NME.COM

Here are the official details of the Black Dub Tour (so far)
Tour Information

Europe July 2010
Jul 5- Zurich, Switzerland - Kaufleuten
Jul 8- Vienna, Austria - Porgy & Bess Jazz Club
Jul 12- Munich, Germany - Ampere
Jul 25- Pori, Finland - Jazz Festival
Jul 27- London, England - Jazz Cafe

... and 7 more dates to announce!

Source: BLACK DUB

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: guess what! the awards dinner gala tonight that's Bono is receiving an award at and speaking is gonna be televised tonight on C-SPAN 3 at 7EST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:
here's there live live stream tv link for those of you who don't have C-SPAN:
C-SPAN Live Stream - C-SPAN

*Bono's expected to speak at or around 8pm

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: guess what! the awards dinner gala tonight that's Bono is receiving an award at and speaking is gonna be televised tonight on C-SPAN 3 at 7EST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:
here's there live live stream tv link for those of you who don't have C-SPAN:
C-SPAN Live Stream - C-SPAN

*Bono's expected to speak at or around 8pm

Thank U so much Jackie!!!!!!!!!:up::wave:
8 pm...here will be 10 pm:sad:

oh thats a bummer :|
hopefully there will be video on youtube tomorrow for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom