PLEBA Misc News and Articles #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono Gets Oval Office Meeting With Obama - ABC News

My hubby has decided that we need to get Obama to record the "ONE" campaign speech for this summer's US tour leg, in place of the Bishop Tutu speech. I think it would be amazing, and who knows, maybe since B's been hanging out in the Oval Office... :pray:

That would be awesome, but I doubt they will ask him to do it since U2's ( Bono's ) mission these days is to remain neutral, even though he is a liberal justice seeking rocker. :heart:
I don't have a problem with that at all since I am so inspired by both great men!! :hyper: They are the perfect combination, evident by President Obama using City Of Blinding Lights as his campaign theme song and as Bono said at the WE ARE ONE concert ( which I was forutunate to attend!!) What an honor it was for U2 to be the soundtrack of his great campaign!
So even with all that, and I hope I am wrong, these days it would be too polarizing to have our wonderful President up there speaking. Hell, there's even a FB page dedicated to praying for his death. How messed up is that?
There's also a PETITION page to have that group removed from FB btw. Sorry for the ramble!

And in Europe , it would be totally wtf. moment.
Obama walking out instead of Tutu? No way.
He may have won the nobel prize but Tutu is way beyond his match.

Pres. Obama recording that part wouldn't be a terrible idea, it would probably get more of a response out of the crowd anyway; that is atleast in comparison to Tutu, where at the 2nd New York show that I attended, people acted really indifferent towards the video, with one guy even going on some drunken rant. And if by some miracle he did record a short video, i highly doubt that there'd be lots of booing (but who knows, places like Arizona -yuck- are starting to surprise me less and less with their absurdity and ridiculousness :doh: )

Well, Clayton's Kitten did say "US Tour leg", so she never said she thought it should be done in Europe. :wink:

No way. Bono must and will remain politically "neutral". IF anything, he would have to record representatives of all parties, not the president alone. It would be a bad idea and I highly doubt they'd do that. Tutu is just fine.

^ I like this post. :up:
yeah I like the Arch bein up there
just my oppinion though! :wave:

You have to imagine how you would feel about ONE if you had never heard of it and then saw a politician you didn't agree with (or vote for) promoting it.

I think it's perfect with Tutu. :cute: I hope they don't take that part from the show. It also has more the feeling of being an actual part of the show too I think. I know a lot of people didn't like when they felt Bono was just rambling on about things on the Vertigo Tour before One (I didn't mind it myself, but you know what I mean...) but this way on 360, I think more people were apt to listen and watch that portion. It's pretty cool. :up:

Bono To Attend Lazarus Effect Screening

@U2, May 03, 2010
By: m2 / @mattmcgee

Bono is listed as one of the attendees for Tuesday's screening of a new film, The Lazarus Effect, at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. (RED) will be streaming live from the red carpet at 6:30 pm ET Tuesday via Facebook.

The film is a 30-minute documentary that follows the lives of four people whose lives were saved by medical treatment. It premieres on HBO on May 24th.

U2's Bono to be Honored at American Ireland Fund 35th New York Dinner Gala

On Thursday, May 6th, at 7.00pm ET, Bono and Ali Hewson will join 1,300 members of the American-Irish business, political and arts communities at the American Ireland Fund 35th Anniversary New York Gala. Taking place at the Tent at Lincoln Center, the New York gala is by far the largest fundraiser held by the Ireland Funds anywhere in the world, raising over $2.3 million in 2009. Expected to exceed $2.5 million this year, the 2010 gala will benefit the Music Network Scheme in Ireland (in partnership with U2), the Forgotten Irish elderly poverty campaign in New York, and other projects across the island of Ireland.
With 80 million people globally claiming Irish ancestry, the Ireland Funds is the largest worldwide network for friends of Ireland dedicated to raising funds to support programs of Peace and Reconciliation, Arts and Culture, Education and Community Development. Each year, the Ireland Funds host more than 100 events in 40 cities attended by over 40,000 people. Since 1976, the Ireland Funds have raised over $300 million for over 1,200 non-profit organizations.

Who: Bono, lead singer, U2, and his wife Ali Hewson Loretta Brennan Glucksman, Chairman, the American Ireland Fund Kieran McLoughlin, Worldwide President & CEO, the Ireland Funds A number of the U.S.'s CEOs and leaders of business, political, and artistic life What: American Ireland Fund 35th Anniversary New York Dinner Gala When: Thursday, May 6 @ 7.00pm ET To raise funds for theMusic Network, theForgotten Irishand other Why: projects Where: The Tent at Lincoln Center, Damrosch Park West 62nd Street between Columbus & Amsterdam Avenues, New York City Note: Pre-registration is required to gain entrance to the event. Please contact Meaghan McKeon at +1 212-886-1600to confirm attendance. Information: Niall O'Muilleoir +1 646-322-2460

Paul McGuinnes,Bono and Edge Remembered Irish Broadcaster Gerry Ryan

U2.com was sad to announce the passing of the Irish broadcaster Gerry Ryan. Paul McGuinness counted Gerry as one of his closest friends ever since first meeting him when he was broadcasting on pirate radio in Dublin. Paul joined John Banville, John McColgan and others in remembering Gerry in a special tribute programme hosted by Marian Finucane.

'He was a larger than life figure. He had extraordinary breadth and depth... a great broadcaster.'

Paul also recalled the many times Gerry had broadcast from U2 shows, not just from different tours.

'Over the years U2 and myself got into a routine, a habit, of doing items which became models for producers courses in RTE radio - like backstage at The Oscars or at The Grammies, which turned into proper programmes.'

Edge and Bono spoke to 2FM (clip below), remembering Gerry as the 'nation's weather vane' and a 'great analyst of the country's affairs'.

Bono, Geldof to edit Globe and Mail for a day

TORONTO — Extra, Extra! — Bono and Bob Geldof are set to guest-edit the Globe and Mail.
The rock stars/activists will assist with the May 10th edition of the newspaper.
A special section will be devoted to “Emerging Africa,” a topic that is close to both men.
The paper is inviting readers to send video questions for Bono and Geldof, with select submissions to be answered online during the month of May.
This is the first time they have edited a North American newspaper.
Bono, the lead singer for U2, has previously guested at The Independent.
“I’m a huge fan of great journalism — I can’t wait to show up for work at the Globe,” Bono said in a statement. “Our aim in this special edition is to crack down on a few stereotypes and showcase the opportunities surrounding the African continent, not just the problems.”
Geldof noted the eyes of the world would be on Canada this June when the country hosts the G8 and G20 conventions.
He also recalled his days working at the weekly Georgia Straight newspaper in Vancouver before he shot to fame with the Boomtown Rats.
“The Globe and Mail, one of the world’s great papers of record, has, in a mad rush of blood to the head, agreed to let two Irish pop singers edit their august journal for one special day, one special edition,” Geldof said in a statement.
“I’ve gone from being an old editor of the Vancouver Georgia Straight to the new editor of the Globe and Mail and it’s only taken 36 years! Now that’s a career trajectory.”
Bono is the co-founder of the “One” organization, dedicated to fighting poverty and disease, particularly in Africa.
Geldof’s interest in Africa dates back to the 1980s when he gathered a group of musicians together to record “Do They Know It’s Christmas” to raise money for African famine relief.

The Ethics of Fashion

Ali Hewson (Mrs. Bono that is) has been the brain child behind fashion label EDUN since 2005. For both Bono and Ali fair trade and civil rights have always been at the forefront of what they represent. EDUN was formed as an extension of their already enormous charitable work and campaigning for fair trade. EDUN is dedicated to sustainable trade with partners in the developing world. Countries such as, Tunisia, Uganda, Madagascar, India, and Peru provide plant derived material for the production of garments

The concept of EDUN’s ethical cause is to build a viable source of fashion production. Together Ali and Bono built EDUN to encourage development of business, creating a community based chain in third world countries. The production of garments starts from the organic farming of Ugandan cotton and the process of manufacturing is then completed within the local community. EDUN LIVE was a blank T-shirt collection that encompassed the ‘grow to sew’ concept of production within Africa. They also launched limited edition garments in collaboration with Dazed and Confused to benefit War Child. 15% of all sales will benefit War Child’s projects in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Ali says ‘These countries not only need equipment, but also the experience to see what’s required by the fashion industry’.
LVMH Louis Vuitton and Moet Hennessy extended their support for the label in 2009 by investing in EDUN. LVMH took a minority stake in the company and have broadened the international exposure and increased financing for the label. EDUN will now be the first economically focused label for LVMH which also have stakes in Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton. New creative director of the label Sharon Wauchob was recently assigned to push the label to the top of the fashion ladder. Sharon’s career has seen her come from Central Saint Martins College, then moving onto Paris to work at Louis Vuitton, she now has her own clothing line which she will continue to work on. Sharon hopes to propel the emphasis on design while making the market aware of the socially conscious manufacturing of the garments.
With celebrity founders comes high profile endorsement. Ben Affleck and Jefferson Hack have been huge supporters of the label. Following EDUN’s success Ali has also launched a natural skin care products called ‘nude skincare’. Ingredients are, of course, sourced ethically using fair trade agreements in Morocco and Brazil. The beautiful packaging is made from 40% recycled plastic and Post Consumer Regrind (PCR) making the packaging bio degradable. If you can’t find a way to have them recycled then send the packaging back so Nude can take care of the recycling for you. Nude Skincare products are available at Mecca Cosmetica

Many other ethical labels have taken hold in the fashion industry, Ada Zanditon – a British designer – uses fabric’s that are free from carcinogenic dyes, and sources organic fibers from ethical suppliers in the third world. FROM SOMEWHERE is a recycled fabrics line, using vintages pieces and restoring or adapting them to fit the current fashion market and has a celebrity following such as Peaches Geldof.
With powerful backing, and friends in the right places EDUN no doubt will be the first of many ethical fashion labels to have an enormous presence in the fashion market. Ali Hewson is more than Mrs. Bono, creating sustainability in third world communities and ensuring the abolition of sweatshops and child labor. EDUN is stocked in Arida – Sydney and is also available online. http://www.edunonline.com/store.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom