PLEBA Misc News and Articles #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the Joshua Glee as U2 get a TV tribute
Do stars of smash-hit show have iconic U2 track lined up for cover treatment?

By Melanie Finn, Showbusiness Editor
Thursday April 29 2010

IRISH superstars U2 could be the next best-selling artists to get the Glee treatment by the talented stars of McKinley High.

Fresh from the success of the Fox series' recent 'The Power of Madonna' episode, a homage to the queen of pop, there has been speculation that the Dublin rockers could be next to have one of their songs featured on the show.

The Herald can reveal how the new CD from the award-winning series, to be released on May 18, features 19 songs and will include a track entitled One. A song of the same title, taken from U2's best-selling Achtung Baby album, has regularly featured in Greatest Songs Of All Time lists and has been played by the band at every one of their concerts since 1992.

Entitled Glee, The Music: Volume 3 Showstoppers, the CD includes reworked versions of songs such as Pokerface and Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, alongside Beck's Loser and Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler.

However, show insiders are keeping tight-lipped on whether the famous U2 song appears or not, given that Creed and Metallica have both released tunes with the same name.

A publicist for U2 said they weren't aware of any collaboration with Glee, but the band could still have given the go-ahead for its material to be used.

mfinn@herald.ie

- Melanie Finn, Showbusiness Editor

It's the Joshua Glee as U2 get a TV tribute - TV & Radio, Entertainment - Herald.ie

It's the Joshua Glee as U2 get a TV tribute
Do stars of smash-hit show have iconic U2 track lined up for cover treatment?

By Melanie Finn, Showbusiness Editor
Thursday April 29 2010

IRISH superstars U2 could be the next best-selling artists to get the Glee treatment by the talented stars of McKinley High.

Fresh from the success of the Fox series' recent 'The Power of Madonna' episode, a homage to the queen of pop, there has been speculation that the Dublin rockers could be next to have one of their songs featured on the show.

The Herald can reveal how the new CD from the award-winning series, to be released on May 18, features 19 songs and will include a track entitled One. A song of the same title, taken from U2's best-selling Achtung Baby album, has regularly featured in Greatest Songs Of All Time lists and has been played by the band at every one of their concerts since 1992.

Entitled Glee, The Music: Volume 3 Showstoppers, the CD includes reworked versions of songs such as Pokerface and Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, alongside Beck's Loser and Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler.

However, show insiders are keeping tight-lipped on whether the famous U2 song appears or not, given that Creed and Metallica have both released tunes with the same name.

A publicist for U2 said they weren't aware of any collaboration with Glee, but the band could still have given the go-ahead for its material to be used.

mfinn@herald.ie

- Melanie Finn, Showbusiness Editor

It's the Joshua Glee as U2 get a TV tribute - TV & Radio, Entertainment - Herald.ie

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
sn06l0.gif

Clinton, Bono top A-list prize winners for global efforts

by Virginie Montet Virginie Montet – Thu Apr 29, 12:26 pm ET
WASHINGTON (AFP) – Bill Clinton, Irish singer and global activist Bono and top NATO commander Stephane Abrial were among public figures from both sides of the Atlantic honored late Wednesday for their life's efforts to enhance international understanding.
The US-based Atlantic Council gave out its annual awards honoring Americans and Europeans who over the years have "made exceptional and distinctive contributions to the strengthening each of the four pillars of the transatlantic relationship: political, military, business, and humanitarian."
Over the years, the group has honored former British prime minister Tony Blair, media magnate Rupert Murdoch, former US president George H. W. Bush, and former German chancellor Helmut Kohl, and numerous other top leaders.
Former president Clinton walked away this year with the group's top honor at a swank A-list dinner late Wednesday that included hundreds of foreign dignitaries, military leaders and captains of industry.
Since leaving the White House in 2000, Clinton has been a tireless champion of humanitarian and Third World development causes, many funded by his own Clinton Foundation.
The council honored the former president with its Distinguished Humanitarian Leadership Award for his work to expand NATO and end genocide in the Balkans.
Upon receiving his award, Clinton reminded the guests that accomplishments for which he was being praised were deeply unpopular during his presidency.
He recalled for example that 78 percent of the US public opposed going in to the Balkans and that his staff counseled against his decision to bail out Mexico from their financial collapse in the mid-1990s.
His decision to reach out to Boris Yeltsin's Russia was relatively easy, the former president quipped, "with only 76 percent" opposing.
With respect to international cooperation, "divorce is not an option. It's interdependence," Clinton said.
His predecessor in the White House, former president George H.W. Bush appeared via pre-taped video to congratulate Clinton.
Abrial, a French air force general and Supreme Allied Commander who was given this year's distinguished military leader Award, joked that being honored along with Bono significantly raised his "coolness factor" with his kids.
He also compared receiving the honor just one year into his job as NATO's supreme commander to Barack Obama's recent receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize.
"I am tempted to paraphrase an American president's recent Nobel Prize speech and say that I suspect I am probably being honored for what people hope I will do rather than for what I've already accomplished," he said.
Also honored Wednesday were Josef Ackermann, Chairman of the Management Board of Deutsche Bank, who won an award for distinguished business leadership and General James Mattis, commander of US Joint Forces Command in NATO.
Rocker Bono, whose efforts in raising awareness and resources to help fight poverty and disease in Africa, earned him the council's first Distinguished Humanitarian Leadership Award, noted all the political dignitaries assembled in the room, and joked, "This really isn't the Grammys, is it?"
And referring to his unlikely presence among all the military brass, he quipped "Who let the peacenik in?"
But on a more serious note, the U2 frontman and rights activist who has dedicated himself a long list of noble causes, including eradication of world hunger, AIDS and Third World debt advised the assembled crowd what with respect to international understanding "it's smarter and cheaper to make friends now than to defend ourselves against enemies later."

I may be in the minority, but Glee and U2? Please God no.:no::no:
With all do respect, being an old timer this if true will be taking something sacred to many of us fans, The Joshua Tree, and destroying it. If they want to honor U2 great. Just please don't turn our band into your high school musical. I am sure they sing well..but it's not the platform it. IMO.

U2 is out of this league BIG TIME.

ya know....after i thought about it all day, I don't like the idea anymore, I usually don't like U2 songs that aren't being sung by them. I do still love the show, its funny, but I'm not liking the idea of them turning a hit song into a teeny-bopper thing :|
so hopefully this news isn't true...

Yeah, I haven't got anything against the show itself...it would just be so lame to hear their songs sung like that, as you said. I can hear how it would sound in my mind :| Idk, I get all territorial like that :lol:

Also, I heard earlier today that it was rumoured to be One..apparently the tracklisting of their next soundtrack has a song titled One on it,but they wouldn't disclose which One.

I may be in the minority, but Glee and U2? Please God no.:no::no:
With all do respect, being an old timer this if true will be taking something sacred to many of us fans, The Joshua Tree, and destroying it. If they want to honor U2 great. Just please don't turn our band into your high school musical. I am sure they sing well..but it's not the platform it. IMO.

U2 is out of this league BIG TIME.

Hey, look, I was going to scroll to the bottom to make sure I wasn't in the minority, all the time thinking, "Please god, no."

Ugh. We might get Glee(k) U2 before Guitar Hero/Rock Band U2?

F that S.

Bono to appear in Louis Vuitton ad campaign

I WILL FOLLOW: Louis Vuitton set the bar high for its “core values” campaign by casting the likes of former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev and, more recently, soccer legends Pelé, Diego Maradona and Zinedine Zidane, who appear playing Foosball in a Madrid cafe for the next series, shot by Annie Leibovitz and slated to break in June magazines. Next up is another towering and surprising personality, but one closer to home: Bono. Rumor has it the U2 front man and activist, whose eco-friendly brand Edun is partly owned by Vuitton parent LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, has agreed to appear in the next spots, which trumpet Vuitton’s travel roots and its monogram leather goods. Vuitton declined to comment.

— Miles Socha

Bono Said in Vuitton Ad... D&G Publicist Ali Wise Pleads Guilty... - Fashion Memopad - WWD.com

Bono in Louis Vuitton leather! :drool:

so i just heard some sad news, Ireland lost a famous radio host Gerry Ryan and I started listening in to their radio station and now they are playing Running to Stand Still :sad:

April 30, 2010, 5:07 pm
Bono Meets Obama

By HELENE COOPERThere are a whole lot of celebrities in town this weekend for the annual razzle-dazzle that is the White House Correspondents Dinner.
But not too many get into the Oval Office to see the big man himself.
Unless, of course, you’re Bono.
U2’s lead crooner and all-round celebrity do-gooder met with President Obama and his national security team to “discuss the administration’s development strategy heading into the upcoming G-8 and G-20 meetings in Canada and September’s U.N. Summit on the Millenium Development Goals,” Bono’s advocacy group, ONE, said in a statement.
“With the first BlackBerry president, we discussed the power of new technology to empower activists and entrepreneurs across Africa,” Bono said in the statement

Bono Gets Oval Office Meeting With Obama

Obama, Bono hold Oval Office meeting to discuss international development

President Barack Obama and U2 lead singer Bono have met in the Oval Office to discuss the administration's development work in Africa.
The White House says the social activist singer joined with Obama, along with members of his national security staff, to talk about ways to make sure U.S. foreign aid is effective. They also discussed opportunities for using innovation and technology to drive economic growth in Africa

The meeting Friday comes as the administration prepares for several international summits where development will be on the agenda.

I read in an article that Bono was upset that Obama was cutting down the foreign aid budget so i bet thats why he went knockin on the door of the white house also :hmm:

here's Bono's official statement and it turns out they met this morning for 30-40 mins:

"With the first blackberry president, we discussed the power of new technology to empower activists and entrepreneurs across Africa, part of a new rising generation that’s boosting growth and governance and defying stereotypes.

“A recurring theme was innovation. We agreed that there are simple technologies that need to be made more available to transform not only public health, but also agriculture, helping farmers check prices and weather patterns. While acknowledging these are difficult times for donor economies, we discussed the President’s food security initiative and agreed to encourage other countries who signed up to keep their commitment to invest $22 billion over 3 years.

“The President and his team are preparing for the UN development summit in September where it will have to be admitted that not enough has been done - north or south of the equator - for and by the world’s poorest economies to achieve the Millennium Development Goals, which have as their target a halving of extreme poverty by 2015.

“We also discussed the real results American aid is achieving -- malaria deaths cut in half across the continent of Africa, 3 million Africans on life-saving AIDS medication and 42 million more children going to school. This is momentum that can be built upon now.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom