PLEBA Misc News and Articles #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ thats EXACTLY where I want to go!!! :D I'm trying to get good grades now so I can go to that college :)

^ lol me and my sister have a plan to go to Ireland when we're a little bit older, then meet Bono!! :D

I went to Ireland last summer for the shows. I love it there. It is very beautiful. I have met Bono a few times, but not in Ireland

U2, "Songs of Ascent" (Island/Interscope/IGA)

Release Date: tentatively June 2010

Manager Paul McGuinnes told the Irish Independent that "Bono is always an optimist, but he seems confident of getting a new record out by the end of the next six months."

As for the sunglasses-clad frontman, he told the paper, "We are working away and we have a couple of yearlings in the stables that could really turn out to be thoroughbreds in the future. As a band you are always trying to work on new material and we had some unfinished material from the last album."

There have also been reports of the band spending time in the studio in New York and France. As far as tracks go, the Edge told Rolling Stone that "Kingdom of Your Love"-the U2 360 tour intro song-is a "potential 'Songs of Ascent' track." Bono also described the album as "an intimate affair."

:applaud:

^ thats EXACTLY where I want to go!!! :D I'm trying to get good grades now so I can go to that college :)

:up: That's great! I wish you luck :hug:

U2's Bono Says Yes to Jesus, No to Karrma - Are the Dalia Lama and Obama Listening?
By Stephen K. Ryan February 2, 2010

“but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma" ...Bono of U2

Before President Obama commits to a meeting with cause celeb, The Dalai Lama, in Washington D.C., a meeting that will certainly enrage the already testy Chinese, he may want to brush up on the more sublime spiritual aspects of Buddhism and the Dalia Lama's notion of Karma. Mr. Obama seems to be surrounded by bad Karma at a time when the healing benefits of "Grace", at least according to Bono may be what is called for.

According to U2's Bono, many people in the United States misunderstand, or at least he did initially, the ideals of "beauty and goodness" found in Buddhism and Karma, and he suggests that the "Grace" of Christianity is often overlooked and may do wonders for one's soul.

In the book, Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas (Riverhead Books), the iconic rocker shared his thoughts on numerous topics with the French music journalist and friend who has been with the band since the beginning. In the book, Bono, offered the reader a glimpse into his "Christian" heart rarely seen.

Bono makes an explicit confession of faith. Bono says “but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma. At the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics—in physical laws—every action is met by an equal or an opposite one," explains Bono. "And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that. . . . Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff.”

Bono says to Michka Assayas, a secular journalist "Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: He was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn't allow you that. He doesn't let you off that hook. Christ says, No. I'm not saying I'm a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying: 'I'm the Messiah.' I'm saying: 'I am God incarnate.' . . . So what you're left with is either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nut case. . . . The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nut case, for me that's far fetched."

Perhaps with a little more grace in the President's life, Mr. Obama's karma may begin to improve.

http://ministryvalues.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=809&Itemid=127

I stayed right next door to Trinity College in Dublin when I visited there a couple years ago now. It's so cool! Go to see the Book of Kells and go upstairs to the library! It's very Harry Potter-ish! :)
ooo I love harry potter lol, that will be on my list of places to go and see in Ireland...thanks for the info!! :up: :)

How U2 and Paul McCartney got shut out of Oscar nominations

February 2, 2010
While there were 63 songs contending for a place at this year's Oscars, only five made the final cut. Last year it was Oscar champ Bruce Springsteen who was snubbed for his Golden Globe-winning title track to "The Wrestler." This year U2 and Paul McCartney got slapped down by the music branch of the academy for tunes written specifically for films. U2 wrote and performed "Winter" for "Brothers," while McCartney did the same for "(I Want to) Come Home" from "Everybody’s Fine."
Both of these musical powerhouses have a connection to the Academy Awards. U2 lost a best song bid at the 2002 Oscars for "The Hands That Built America" from "Gangs of New York" to Eminem's "Lose Yourself" from "8 Mile."
This year, the Irish rockers and Sir Paul both lost the best song race at the Golden Globes to "The Weary Kind" from "Crazy Heart." That track — written by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett — is in contention at the Oscars, as are two tunes from "The Princess and the Frog" by Oscar champ Randy Newman, "Take It All" from "Nine" by two-time Tony winner Maury Yeston and "Loin de Paname" from "Paris 36" by Reinhardt Wagner and Frank Thomas.
Newman, who was not a Globe nominee this year, won his only Oscar out of 17 nominations in 2001 for the song "If I Didn't Have You" from "Monsters, Inc." Among those he edged out was Paul McCartney, who was nominated for the title track of "Vanilla Sky." In 1973, McCartney and his wife Linda had landed in the best song race for the theme to "Live and Let Die" — they lost to "The Way We Were." McCartney had shared in an Oscar win with the rest of the Beatles in 1970 for their original song score to "Let It Be."
With such musical pedigrees, how did U2 and McCartney not make it into the final five this year? Oscars' Rule 16 sets out the criteria for winnowing the list of eligible songs down to the final nominees. There was no need for the executive committee of the music branch to recommend that there be only three nominees, as the number of songs far exceeded the threshold of 25 that might have triggered such action.
Unlike other branches — such as acting, which uses a preferential ballot — the music makers screen clips of all the eligible entries and then score them on a sliding scale from 6 to 10, with half-point increments in between. If a member has a song in contention, they are ineligible to vote.
As per the rulebook, "If no song receives an average score of 8.25 or more, there will be no nominees in the category. If only one song achieves that score, it and the song receiving the next highest score shall be the two nominees. If two or more songs (up to five) achieve that score, they shall be the nominees."
With five nominees this year, we know they all scored at least 8.25. Perhaps the tunes by U2 and McCartney broke that barrier as well but fell short of the even higher scores registered by the nominees.

Stevie Wonder Said To Be Co-Headlining Glastonbury With U2

By: Howie Edelson

It's looking as though Stevie Wonder will be joining U2 as one of the headliners of Britain's upcoming Glastonbury Festival this summer, according to mtv.co.uk. No firm announcement has been made, but festival organizer Michael Eavis let the news "slip" during yesterday's (February 2nd) Event Production Show in London.

Festival bosses were leery of confirming that Wonder was definitely on board just yet, saying, "It is very much a possibility but he's still only on Michael Eavis'wish list -- so not 100 percent confirmed, it's pending."

Glastonbury will take place on Woerthy Farm from June 23rd to the 27th.

Stevie Wonder is one of the rare acts touring these days that truly has 45 years worth of classics to pick and choose from for his setlists. We asked Wonder which tunes he absolutely feels he has to play in concert:"I think 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered'has to be in there, I think that 'My Cherie Amour'if, possible, can be in there. I think 'Superstition ' is important to be in there. I think obviously some of the stuff from Songs In The Key Of Life. You know, obviously we have a pretty extensive set that we do, and we try to pick the songs that work good, not only as songs that people know, but as well maybe some that may have not been necessarily Number One but feel right and get good response from the audience."

Stevie Wonder Said To Be Co-Headlining Glastonbury With U2 | KBS Radio

thanks for the news!! :up:
I also heard that Muse would be doing Glasto also...wish I could go!!!

^ i missed them during the NA part of the leg last fall, i got to see the BEPs instead, they are fun, but I would've looooved to see Muse! :|

me too...i looooove muse. I also was sad that I missed the Script open up for U2(in Dublin) I love the script too...they're an Irish band also, that would've been amaaaazing :)

I love The Script. :D They have fun, poppy tunes! :cute:

Im getting into The Script!! didn't Adam go and check them out before the tour and with his recomondation were offered supporting act?

Also Kris Allen's (American Idol) first single was a Script song "Live like we're dying" ((which I LOVE)) and even though Kris's version I prefer The Script :)

I saw them both :wave:

:applaud:

Yes, I just saw this news on twitter and wow, if this rumour is true, it's gonna be nigh on impossible for those of us who have already used their u2.com pre-sale code (me! :( ) to get tickets! :shrug:

But then again will be a bonus, and definitely good PR, for those UK/Irish fans who held back from using their code but were let down when they heard that the Gladstonbury festival would be the only gig U2 would be playing in the British Isles this summer. :up:

October seems a bit too late for U2 to play Dublin.

I was hoping for Rome to be the final gig of the tour, mainly because I'll be there.

Bono to be guest of honor at AIF New York gala dinner

By DEBBIE MCGOLDRICK
, Irish Voice Senior Editor

The American Ireland Fund’s annual New York spring gala should easily be a sell-out this year, as Bono will be the special guest of honor.
The 35th annual dinner, set for Thursday, May 6, will take place at The Tent at Lincoln Center. Always one of the best nights on the Irish American social calendar, this year’s gala should be extra-special given the presence of Bono, one of the world’s most famous humanitarians . . . and, of course, rock stars.
The desire to provide music education to Irish schoolchildren brought U2 and the AIF together last year. Irish kids don’t learn music as a core subject in school, unlike students in most other parts of the world. In 2009, the worldwide Ireland Funds and U2 committed $10 million to bring music education to Irish schools, and U2 so far have provided $7 million in funding.
The New York dinner will undoubtedly help to provide a healthy chunk of financing for the worthy goal, so mark your calendar! For more information on the dinner, visit The Ireland Funds : The global Irish making a difference together.

This is cool because I get mail from them and I can buy tickets to the gala. :hyper:

AC/DC singer attacks Bono

transparent.png
Thursday, February 4, 2010 at 8:04AM
The singers Bono and Bob Geldof have incurred the wrath of Brian Johnson, a fellow rock star and frontman of AC/DC, over their celebrity activism.
Johnson, the gravel-voiced British singer of Australia’s biggest rock band, has joined a growing group of critics of Geldof and the U2 singer over their very public charity work, saying they should stop lecturing audiences about charity work and instead do their good deeds in private.
“I do it myself, I don’t tell everybody I’m doing it,” Johnson, 62, told Melbourne’s Herald Sun newspaper.
“I don’t tell everybody they should give money – they can’t afford it. When I was a working man I didn’t want to go to a concert for some bastard to talk down to me that I should be thinking of some kid in Africa.”
He then offered some words of advice to his fellow rockers: “I’m sorry mate, do it yourself, spend some of your own money and get it done. It just makes me angry. I become all tyrannical.”
AC/DC were asked to play at the Live Aid concert in 1985, but turned down the chance to play at the charity event, which raised an estimated £100 million for famine relief and made an international celebrity activist out of Geldof.
Johnson described Geldof, who also organised the Live 8 benefit concerts in support of the Make Poverty History campaign in 2005, as a “canny lad”.
“He did what he though was right at the time but it didn’t work,” Johnson said of Geldof’s Live Aid concert. “The money didn’t go to poor people. It makes me mad when people try to use politics or charity for publicity. Do a charity gig, fair enough, but not on worldwide television.”
Johnson’s tirade against the two Irish multi-millionaires is not the first time their charitable work has earned them criticism for letting their egos get in the way of campaigns.

Bono, who regularly lobbies governments on behalf of the world’s poor, is a fixture of the annual G8 summits, has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize three times and has an honorary knighthood, was also attacked by the author Paul Theroux in 2005.
Theroux claimed the U2 singer was part of a group of celebrity “mythomaniacs, people who wish to convince the world of their worth”, and accused him of perpetuating the lie that Africa was fatally troubled and could only be saved by outside help.
Bono responded by calling his critics “cranks carping from the sidelines”, during an interview with the Times in 2006.
“A lot of them wouldn’t know what to do if they were on the field. They’re the party who will always be in opposition so they’ll never have to take responsibility for decisions because they know they’ll never be able to implement them,” Bono said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom