Pleba Ladies: What's OK to Ask a Girl About?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Alright, ladies, I need your help again. When I'm trying to talk to a girl, I don't know what's OK to ask about, so I asking you. If you just met someone, what would you want him to ask you about or talk about?

lets see......I have been together with my boyfriend for 5 and a half years now (2 living together) sooooo....I am trying to think of things we talked about when we first knew each other....

We talked about
*music(any concerts come up you may want to ask that person to go with you....would help if you knew what they liked...make it easier for you)
*are you in school..college? Talk about classes, what you do outside of class....teacher you hate/love
*Don't bring up past girlfriend/boyfriend stuff..good or bad unless they ask. Then be truthful about it
*Interesting places you have been/stuff you have seen
*Always Always Always tell the truth
*Food...( can lead to getting good ideas to where to take the person for a date)

....hope that helps some
:wink: :wink: :wink:

to add to dismantled's list:

movies: everybody likes the movies

books (i'm a big nerd, a boy who asks about books gets big time brownie points from me)

if you're in school, school is always a good thing to chat about--favourite classes, teachers/profs, etc.

plans for the holidays, maybe? could be a nice lead in to a joint outing, perhaps....?

definitely music. hopefully she's a u2 fan, then you'll have no end of things to chat about.

good luck with the ladies!

he he he except if she is a U2 fan she probably has a wicked crush on Bono....then he will be sorry he asked..hehehe:wink: ..my boyfriend is:wink:

if she asks "does my bum look big in this" say "no"

and after you've been to the toilet, put the toilet seat down

always complement her on her looks even if she looks like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards

make an effort in your appearance

be original...on a first date go do something that requires physical contact (steady people, i don't mean that!) like ice skating - if you can't skate it'll make it more fun and it will...ehm...break the ice between you (pardon the pun)

don't bore her silly about U2 and don't sing With or Without You....firstly it's a "twisted love song" (Bono) and secondly you might not do the song justice.

don't dress like The Edge on a first date

don't dress like Adam from the Achtung Baby cover on first date.

dandy said:
to add to dismantled's list:

movies: everybody likes the movies

books (i'm a big nerd, a boy who asks about books gets big time brownie points from me)

if you're in school, school is always a good thing to chat about--favourite classes, teachers/profs, etc.

plans for the holidays, maybe? could be a nice lead in to a joint outing, perhaps....?

definitely music. hopefully she's a u2 fan, then you'll have no end of things to chat about.

good luck with the ladies!

reading anything interesting at the moment? ;)

People love talking about themselves. Everyone in here seemed to hit it right on - ask her about school, work, music, hobbies, and let her take the lead from there. Don't worry so much about TALKING to her as LISTENING to her. Make eye contact - VERY important - just make sure you don't keep staring at her like some freak. Smile often, it's infectious and it will make her feel comfortable. Nod a lot, and really just be interested in what she's saying. And a key trick is to mirror her body language. If she has a hand on her hip, mirror that hand on your hip. If she has her head tilted, tilt yours. If she's leaning one way, mirror that. I bet as you keep talking to her she'll tell you that you remind her of somebody, but she just can't seem to place who. You're reminding her of her!

Good luck - and keep us posted on your progress! :)

music is always a good place to start because everyone with a soul likes music of some kind. plus, people with bad taste in music are just undate-able, so then you can determine right away whether it's worth the effort.

music is pretty neutral territory and inevitably leads to other topics....try not to be too conscious about asking questions, you want to hit on the girl, not interview her! :cool:

Might I add:
Women always like a complete gentleman.

So it's a plus to open doors, pull out a chair at a table, let her sit down first,and help her with her coat.

Last edited:
I wouldn't start with the where do you live/work/go to school thing because if she lives in a bad neighborhood or goes to a bad school or has no job or a lousy job she might get self concious and think you are going to judge her by it. Maybe this is why so many people (especially guys) have lied about those things over the years;)

How about starting off with bands, movies, other pop culture stuff? This also shows you how much you have in common and how well you'd get along. If she hates all your bands and likes crap music and thinks your movies suck and loves lame ones you can't stand, or hates sports if you love it, then she's not for you. Those are things that make up a big part of what a person is and what they like to do and finding an incompatable person is no fun.Like, if you really get into sports and she hates them, she might be the type to whine 'oooh honey come to the park with me' while an important game is on, and not understand how you feel about it, and accuse you of not loving her if you don't go. As a sports fan myself, I could never stand girls like that. If she hates U2 and your other bands, she won't want to go to the shows, and will resent you for going without her. So these are important things to find out up front.

Here's one my brother used: what's your favorite car? Not what kind she has now, it may be all she can afford but not her dream car. If she says a minivan and you hate minivan and that type of person, she's not for you. If she loves SUV's and mountain roading and you're not an outdoor person, that tells you something too. If she picks an expensive sports car, she may be a gold digger. You can find out things about her from that too.

Damn, meeting and dating is SUCH a hassle :crazy: I'm so glad it's over for me, and if I ever break up with my husband I'm staying single :scream:

It's a depressing thing to think of, but no matter how hard people look for the 'right one' over 50% of us end up unhappy anyway:shrug: Good luck.

Last edited:
ewen said:

don't bore her silly about U2 and don't sing With or Without You....firstly it's a "twisted love song" (Bono) and secondly you might not do the song justice.

don't dress like The Edge on a first date

don't dress like Adam from the Achtung Baby cover on first date.

so true... i don't know why some guys i've met think that i would fall in love with them if they talk to me about how much they "love" U2 and how they remind me when they listen "with or without you" :huh:

Whatever you do, don't quiz her, and don't give her your life story.

And here is a handy hint: NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ASK A TEENAGE GIRL HER WEIGHT OR HER CLOTHING SIZE, unless of course you've been with her for a while and what to get her sujestive under garments.

Cheers and I hope all goes well.

best advice i can give is become celibate like me...life becomes a lot more stress free!

thanks alot ladies. alot of this advice is very interesting (besides the part about not dressing like Edge -- sorry, I can't rule that out!). I think my problem is that I tend to want to skip the "getting to know you" part and get to the, you know, "getting to know you part" :wink: :tongue: :macdevil:

:angel:

i dunno, you give the youth of today advice! ;)

what ever happened to romance? or am i just getting old?

discothequeLP said:
Alright, ladies, I need your help again. When I'm trying to talk to a girl, I don't know what's OK to ask about, so I asking you. If you just met someone, what would you want him to ask you about or talk about?

My first piece of advice would be not refer to us as "ladies":sexywink:

Touchy!!
Didn't think my wee joke would offend, sorry discothequeLP.

You can call me anything you like, but not:censored:

That certainly is no way to talk to the ladies!:sexywink:

Last edited:
hmm i wonder if anyone could tackle this... if the girl likes music like.. iced earth, HIM and 80s MOR, stuff youd never really listen to except insane situations. :huh:

she doesnt like dancing, so you can only stand around when you go to a bar with her. :|

she doesnt like making witty comments about movies during or afterwards. :mad:

she is not into food that much, she doesnt care much for dining out. :ohmy:

i have told her pretty much everything worth telling about myself, but whenever i want to know something about her, she never has much to say.

i asked asked to find out SOMETHING she was passionate about, but nothing really came up.

i have no idea what to do.
i am totally clueless about this girl.
how do you break that? :(

all_i_want said:
hmm i wonder if anyone could tackle this... if the girl likes music like.. iced earth, HIM and 80s MOR, stuff youd never really listen to except insane situations. :huh:

she doesnt like dancing, so you can only stand around when you go to a bar with her. :|

she doesnt like making witty comments about movies during or afterwards. :mad:

she is not into food that much, she doesnt care much for dining out. :ohmy:

i have told her pretty much everything worth telling about myself, but whenever i want to know something about her, she never has much to say.

i asked asked to find out SOMETHING she was passionate about, but nothing really came up.

i have no idea what to do.
i am totally clueless about this girl.
how do you break that? :(

hmm. . . are you 'in'? if she's into you and you're going out and stuff then i don't have a clue what to do. but if she hasnt made up her mind yet (as all you 'lades' seem to have trouble with :mad: ) then i suggest that you ease up on it a bit. that part about you telling her everything about yourself is too up-front i think.

i think she is, at least was, into me until the last couple of times she wanted to go out and i made up excuses for not going cause i reallly dont wanna have any more of those awkward silences.

i see what you mean by that part, but really it was just to avoid that void, (hey that rhymes :p ) at that point where the transmission goes dead..

i dont know, i like her but just cause of all that emptiness i am about to give up and move on.

all_i_want said:
i think she is, at least was, into me until the last couple of times she wanted to go out and i made up excuses for not going cause i reallly dont wanna have any more of those awkward silences.

i see what you mean by that part, but really it was just to avoid that void, (hey that rhymes :p ) at that point where the transmission goes dead..

i dont know, i like her but just cause of all that emptiness i am about to give up and move on.

i think we're in the same boat man. join the club

Back
Top Bottom