Pleba Girls Party - Take the colours of our imaginations.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Russty, I'm sorry you're feeling so stressed. You & your family are making a big move and it's natural to be anxious about it. But I believe that it will all work out...that church/house is too perfect for you NOT for it to work out! :hug: :hug:

:hug: you all. You guys always know how to make me feel better. :)

[/drama] :giggle:

Bri you are even more hawt like woah! now! :drool:

Hi Dianne! Your Sim is gonna get some Adam love! :giggle:

And Lastly:

eleanor.jpg

EdgeDarcy.jpg

Diane :lol: :hug: I knew once the new guys started to socialize a bit things would start to happen. The others just aren't as outgoing as Bono, thats all :p

sami0201 said:
Bri!! :hug

Our resident genius :love:
:shifty: Want to try and save my grade in chem? :lol :help

Sami :hug:
:lol:

Ugh....chem?! :grumpy:
That's what I'm working on :madwife:

What can I do for ya my dear?

Russty :hug: :heart: I'll be thinking of you hun. It must suck sitting around waiting, I'm sure it's all you're thinking about. But, it'll all work out in the end.

SG :hug:
I read you were applying for a mission thing in the uk? Sounds really interesting! Is it with a well known group, or something locally run?

Last edited:
~BrightestStar~ said:

Sami :hug:

Ugh....chem?! :grumpy:
That's what I'm working on :madwife:

What can I do for ya my dear?

Ok I have this lab due tomorrow and I need to figure out this question to do all the rest of the calculations...
I feel like the problem is that my teacher forgot to give us a number that we needed :huh: But other people got it :|

for the lab we had to put a hydrate (copper sulfate pentahydrate) in a crucible and heat it so the water evaporated and then measure what was left...the leftover stuff being the anhydrous salt

so the question is:
Based on the molar mass of anhydrous salt given by the teacher, calculate the moles of anhydrous salt. Determine the smallest whole number ratio of moles of water to moles of anhydrous salt.

Now, at the beginning all he told us was that the substance we were using was the Copper sulfate pentahydrate and that's all we would need to do the rest....

I don't know if that makes any sense :reject:

Diane L said:
And Russty, I'm sorry you're feeling so stressed. You & your family are making a big move and it's natural to be anxious about it. But I believe that it will all work out...that church/house is too perfect for you NOT for it to work out! :hug: :hug:

:hug: Thank you so much! Thats what I really need to hear.

I have a friend here who I thought would be upset at me leaving and though she was all she could say the other day is that she had a good feeling about it and thought it was going to be such a good thing for us.

I don't doubt this I'm just trying not to go crazy in the mean time.

U2 take me away! :wink:

sami0201 said:

Ok I have this lab due tomorrow and I need to figure out this question to do all the rest of the calculations...
I feel like the problem is that my teacher forgot to give us a number that we needed :huh: But other people got it :|

for the lab we had to put a hydrate (copper sulfate pentahydrate) in a crucible and heat it so the water evaporated and then measure what was left...the leftover stuff being the anhydrous salt

so the question is:
Based on the molar mass of anhydrous salt given by the teacher, calculate the moles of anhydrous salt. Determine the smallest whole number ratio of moles of water to moles of anhydrous salt.

Now, at the beginning all he told us was that the substance we were using was the Copper sulfate pentahydrate and that's all we would need to do the rest....

I don't know if that makes any sense :reject:

labs :mad:

ok...umm...give me a minute to absorb....:lol:

I think I actually vaguely remember doing this experiment in grade 11.....

*puts on thinking cap* :happy:

Bri :D SIm Bri looks more like the real you now :love: :flirt: :laugh:

And the volunteer mission program is a little confusing. I will be applying through the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) but that will lead to a few different program possibilities. There are eight, actually. One of which is in the UK, doing outreach to the homeless, youth programs, elderly and domestic abuse and that sort of Social work. It would be from 6 months to 2 years; most of them run about 1 year.

I would live wherever I was placed in Scotland, England or Wales, and I would work for pocket money; have the cost of the flight covered and I would live with a sponsor family (like a foreaign exchange student sort of, or renting a room in someones house) or if I was in a bigger city, it would be more of a Dormotory setting.

Some of the other places are Egypt, India and Slovakia ... all very interesting :up: I'll know by April if I'm accepted, and if I am I would leave in August

~BrightestStar~ said:

labs :mad:

ok...umm...give me a minute to absorb....:lol:

I think I actually vaguely remember doing this experiment in grade 11.....

*puts on thinking cap* :happy:

I know how to convert from mass to moles....but it doesn't come out right because...

Well lets see what you say first so I don't confuse you because I think I'm doing it wrong :reject:

It could be really great :yes: I don't know yet if I'll qualify, but I figure it's worth a shot

and I'm fairly confident I would have some internet access at least, Sami :wink:

Especially if I was in the UK

:hmm:

Alright. Sadly, I don't think I have anything in my text I cancrosscheck with for this, so I'm gonna go on vague memories :uhoh:

Umm..and this post may not make sense since you'll just have to suffer through my musings. :happy:

So you were given the Molar mass of the salt, when hydrated.
Since otherwise it would just be copper sulfate.

So getting the moles of the hydrated salt shouldn't be difficult.
You just take your initial mass of (CuSO4-5H20) and divide it by the molar mass

Now, if they mean they want the moles of unhydrated salt, you would just use the final dry mass, and divide it by copper sulfate's MM (without the 5H20)

To get the moles of water, you just take initial mass, minus final mass. This difference is obviously the mass of the evapourated water. Divide that mass by the MM of H20 to get the number of moles.

The question is worded strangely. The ratio thing is throwing me (yet, I swear we did something similar when I did it)

The only thing I can think of is that it is *not* 1 mole of CuSO4 for every 5H20.
I would recommend comparing the number of moles of water that you calculated to the number of moles of unhydrated salt you calculated.

:slant: I'll keep thinking.....
I don't think I'm making any sense. Sorry :reject:

Tell me what you're thinking.

Last edited:
:hug: Aw, you guys! :heart:

I might have to do like Dazz does and spend my evenings in Cyper Cafe's and libraries :wink: I don't think I'll be away from here for a whole year, any which way.

And I have a few health issues which might exclude me, anyway.

But like I said; it's worth the shot I'm taking at it

Sad_Girl said:
Bri :D SIm Bri looks more like the real you now :love :flirt :laugh

:laugh:!!!
Sure I do. :lol:

:flirt:

:hug:

And the volunteer mission program is a little confusing. I will be applying through the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church of America) but that will lead to a few different program possibilities. There are eight, actually. One of which is in the UK, doing outreach to the homeless, youth programs, elderly and domestic abuse and that sort of Social work. It would be from 6 months to 2 years; most of them run about 1 year.

I would live wherever I was placed in Scotland, England or Wales, and I would work for pocket money; have the cost of the flight covered and I would live with a sponsor family (like a foreaign exchange student sort of, or renting a room in someones house) or if I was in a bigger city, it would be more of a Dormotory setting.

Some of the other places are Egypt, India and Slovakia ... all very interesting :up I'll know by April if I'm accepted, and if I am I would leave in August

It really does sound great! And what ana amazing expereinece. It def sounds like something you would enjoy. I'll keep my fingers crossed come april! :hug:

And hey, free trip to europe :happy: :drool:

.....but while you're saving all those people.....don't forget us? :sad: :heart:

Ok I have to read your post again but the thing is we weren't given the molar mass of anything...

We had to weigh the mass of the crucible and then the mass of the crucible with the hydrate, and the mass of it after being heated (so it was then the anhydrate)

So I have the mass of the anhydrous salt which is mass of crucible&anhydrous salt - mass of crucible=mass of anhydrate

But what is the molar mass of anhydrous salt? Is the molar mass when you would just add the atomic masses of Cu+S+O4+5H20 ?

Because my dilemma is that if that IS how you get the molar mass, to convert from mass to moles (which i have to find the moles) you do 1mole/the gram formula mass which IS the atomic masses of Cu+S+O4+5H20

Have I lost you? :lol:

SO if I do that I am using the same number twice (the same number for the molar mass and the gram formula mass) and then I get 1 as my answer which I don't think can be right

What i just said is just finding the molar mass, no ratios yet

SO I guess what I'm trying to say is that the molar mass is NOT the same as doing the atomic masses of Cu+S+O4+5H20 right? So I'm missing a piece of information that I don't know how to get

Last edited:
Well no matter where you would end up SG we could send you actual real mail. :hug: But it would be so cool if you got to go! I'm so excited for you!

Sami, the molar mass of hydrated (aka before heated) copper sulfate pentahydrate is
249.682 g/ mol

Are you saying that the mass of the (preheated salt - crucible) is equal to 249 g?

If so, either, it's possible you've made some decimal mistake.

Or the far more freakier possibility is that by some crazy fluke it turns out in your experiment you lucked out to get just the right amounts.....

PS.Google confirms my MM calculation as correct.

~BrightestStar~ said:
Sami, the molar mass of hydrated (aka before heated) copper sulfate pentahydrate is
249.682 g/ mol

Are you saying that the mass of the (preheated salt - crucible) is equal to 249 g?

If so, either, it's possible you've made some decimal mistake.

Or the far more freakier possibility is that by some crazy fluke it turns out in your experiment you lucked out to get just the right amounts.....

PS.Google confirms my MM calculation as correct.

Yeah ok so that's the molar mass of it....so now how do I convert that to moles? :banghead: To go from mass to moles we do 1mol/249.682? That doesn't feel right.....I might just be going nuts though :lol:
The question is calculate the moles of anhydrous salt

I feel like I'm going in circles but I'm confusing myself...

See I'm confused because the mass of the anhydrous salt like if you put it on a scale is 1.3g (when you do crucible&salt - crucible alone) But I guess I don't need to use that number? :confused:

None of my friends can help me :scream: (talking about friends at school, not you :love: :wink: )

**saw your above post but still how do I convert that molar mass to moles? :| :scream:

Last edited:
Russty Cat said:
Well no matter where you would end up SG we could send you actual real mail. :hug: But it would be so cool if you got to go! I'm so excited for you!

You've seen my handwriting.

I think SG would prefer to actually be able to read her mail. :wink:

Have we killed the thread with our chem discussions?:uhoh:
Does any one want to do my chem lab?
I'll do yours if you do mine sami. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom