PLEBA girls party-rockin the casbah with U2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VintagePunk said:

Doesn't RS have a lifetime subscription plan, for like $99?? That plan isn't available in Canada. :mad: I think we pay around $32 per year, but that's still greatly reduced from the normal cost because of the fundraising thing.

Great way to sneak it past your dad! :lmao:

I'm not sure :hmm:

:lmao: :angel:

So to get all "change-the-topic-ky" with everyone since that's what I do best... :lol:

Recently my parents have been making normal parental comments like "when you get married" or my dad's constant "where are your boyfriends?" and it just annoys the hell out of me but I don't say anything. It's not their fault cause they have no idea, but a part of me really just wants to set them straight. :| The thought is just really terrifying.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Comments? Room for improvement? :wink:

I'm 19 and my parents have never asked why I don't have a boyfriend....
Maybe I should worry? :eyebrow:

Fly, I woul only tell them until you feel comfortable/ready doing so. :)

Btw, have any of you heard about the girl in the states who got suspended from school (for being affectionate in public with her gf)? And who's principal was the one to tell her parents she was gay? :|

Last edited:
Tell them you have to work on being the person you want to be, Fly. How can you work on a relationship with another person when you are still discovering your own identity? You're still working towards a career, relationships usually mess that stuff up. Besides, you don't need to build your life/identity around someone else. That's a very unhealthy way to live.

:D

FlyYourKite said:
So to get all "change-the-topic-ky" with everyone since that's what I do best... :lol:

Recently my parents have been making normal parental comments like "when you get married" or my dad's constant "where are your boyfriends?" and it just annoys the hell out of me but I don't say anything. It's not their fault cause they have no idea, but a part of me really just wants to set them straight. :| The thought is just really terrifying.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Comments? Room for improvement? :wink:

Its normal for them to make those sort of comments. But I know how they can bother you.

A wise woman recently told me that you know in your heart when its the right time for you to tell them. And to remember that no matter what they say or do it doesn't change that you are a wonderful woman who deserves love and respect. :hug:

Your parents probably don't have a clue and don't say those things to hurt you. Heck my parents still say things like "when you grow up", um I'm 30 I think I'm about as grown up as I'm gonna get. lol

I feel crap at giving advice about this though, since I've been lying to my mom about it for months now. :eek:

Fly :hug: how old are you?

I'm 16 and my mom always asks me why I don't have one :| My dad says that I can't have a boyfriend 'til I'm married or 30 :huh: :lol: He will be a joy when I finally do get one, though :happy: :|

Sad_Girl said:
Tell them you have to work on being the person you want to be, Fly. How can you work on a relationship with another person when you are still discovering your own identity? You're still working towards a career, relationships usually mess that stuff up. Besides, you don't need to build your life/identity around someone else. That's a very unhealthy way to live.

:D

:) Right you are. Maybe it would help them if I wore a "Gay is OK" sticker on my forehead. :wink:

Originally posted by ~BrightestStar~
Maybe I should worry?

Fly, I woul only tell them until you feel comfortable/ready doing so.

Btw, have any of you heard about the girl in the states who got suspended from school (for being affectionate in public with her gf)? And who's principal was the one to tell her parents she was gay?

I didn't hear about that. :| That would be awful...ugh principal telling parents.

~BrightestStar~ said:

Fly, I woul only tell them until you feel comfortable/ready doing so. :)

Btw, have any of you heard about the girl in the states who got suspended from school (for being affectionate in public with her gf)? And who's principal was the one to tell her parents she was gay? :|

Damn I can't even imagine having that happen to me! God I don't know how my parents would have reacted in high school if that was how they found out. Man it gives me a stomach ache thinking about it.

I think that is a crap double standard, cuz if its like the high school I went to there were tons of kids being affectionate all over the place. I'm sure those two girls weren't the only ones. :mad:

FlyYourKite said:

:) Right you are. Maybe it would help them if I wore a "Gay is OK" sticker on my forehead. :wink:

:lol: I figure you're not lying to them if you put it that way; and you buy yourself the time you need since you aren't ready to tell them. :hug:

And yes, having a teacher or principal telling parents would be a fairly worst-case-scenerio :yikes:

I think Adam may have just noticed me in the audience :shifty: :lmao:

Copyofwhatabigbassyouhave.jpg

It was on CNN of all places. Luckily enough the girls family was very accepting and supportive. However, charges are being laid by some of those civil rights group people, mostly against the principal. 1) For being discriminatory. 2) Putting th girl at risk (who knows what telling her family might have done..we all know there are some out there where telling them may not have brought a happy ending) 3) Invadiing her right to provacy, and disclosing personall information.

I couln't believe it though. The poor girl. She's only like 16. And they were just holding hands, hugging, maybe a chaste kiss or two. :tsk:

FlyYourKite said:

I didn't hear about that. :| That would be awful...ugh principal telling parents.

:lmao: At the sticker! Mr. Cat suggest I just tell them that I'm a well rounded person and like to play for both teams! :lol:

when I was still living at home and my dad asked if I was dating my friend Phil or what the deal was. I told him no that he was just a good friend. My dumb brother yelled out "No Phil bats for the other team!" It took my dad a minute to realize my brother meant he was gay.

They thought it was funny back then so I figure why the heck not go for a laugh while I'm giving them a heart attack. :lol:

~BrightestStar~ said:

Your parents are wierd anyway :wink: (kidding!) Maybe they're just relieved that they don't have to worry about their baby girl being out with a boy? Or maybe they think a bf would distract you from schoolwork :wink:

My parents have never done the "when are you going to meet a nice boy" kind of thing that I've heard about other peoples' parents doing, not to me or to my sister. Any bf would have to meet them at some point, but neither my sister or I are dating atm and that's fine with them, mostly *g* I told them a long time ago that I probably wouldn't be getting married, and definitely not having kids - Mom's accepted the fact that she'll have to wait for my sister to have them :lol: She's a great aunt now anyway (at only 57!), twice over, with two of my cousins having children last year (well, their gfs had the kids, they didn't ;))

Russty Cat said:

:lmao: At the sticker! Mr. Cat suggest I just tell them that I'm a well rounded person and like to play for both teams! :lol:

when I was still living at home and my dad asked if I was dating my friend Phil or what the deal was. I told him no that he was just a good friend. My dumb brother yelled out "No Phil bats for the other team!" It took my dad a minute to realize my brother meant he was gay.

They thought it was funny back then so I figure why the heck not go for a laugh while I'm giving them a heart attack. :lol:

:lol: I have a button on my backpack and my mom's asked about it...I told her I got it from the Ally training I did earlier in the school year (education on advocacy/rights for GLBTTQ students and AIDS issues). So she knows I did the training but that's about it. :wink:

~BrightestStar~ said:
It was on CNN of all places. Luckily enough the girls family was very accepting and supportive. However, charges are being laid by some of those civil rights group people, mostly against the principal. 1) For being discriminatory. 2) Putting th girl at risk (who knows what telling her family might have done..we all know there are some out there where telling them may not have brought a happy ending) 3) Invadiing her right to provacy, and disclosing personall information.

I couln't believe it though. The poor girl. She's only like 16. And they were just holding hands, hugging, maybe a chaste kiss or two. :tsk:

I'm glad something is being done, cuz that principal was way out of line. But thank God those parents are calm rational people. If anyone every told me Mini-cat was doing something like that when she was a teenager and she got suspended from school I swear the fight would be on.

I see nothing wrong with teenagers showing love. Hell they could be just friends. I hug and hold hands with my friends all the time. Sometimes you just need a good hug from a friend. Especially when your a teenager!

Drea said:

Your parents are wierd anyway :wink: (kidding!) Maybe they're just relieved that they don't have to worry about their baby girl being out with a boy? Or maybe they think a bf would distract you from schoolwork :wink:

:laugh:!!

Probably. We've joked about the odd boy who had a crush...:shrug:.
Oh, that and the idea of me bringing a guy home to dad who had a couple tatoos and peircings, leather and a morotcycle. Which I still plan on doing someday...:lol: *snickers evilly*

FlyYourKite said:

:lol: I have a button on my backpack and my mom's asked about it...I told her I got it from the Ally training I did earlier in the school year (education on advocacy/rights for GLBTTQ students and AIDS issues). So she knows I did the training but that's about it. :wink:

Well by the time you tell them thanks to little things like that maybe it won't be such a surprise. :wink: You could slap a few gay pride stickers on your notebooks. hehe

~BrightestStar~ said:

Oh, that and the idea of me bringing a guy home to dad who had a couple tatoos and peircings, leather and a morotcycle. Which I still plan on doing someday...:lol: *snickers evilly*

:evil:

Tattoos and piercings :drool:

~BrightestStar~ said:

Oooo that would be so fun! :evil: :lol:

When I was dating Mr. Cat his parents knew that my parents hated motorcycles and all that went with it. They were meeting my parents for the first time about a month before we got married. They seriously considered showing up on a Harley in full gear with fake tattoos, but Mr. Cat wouldnt' let them do it. He thought it would piss my parents off. I think it would have been so funny!

Back
Top Bottom