PLEBA Girls Party: New Year, old friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for me, I'm against both the death penalty and abortion (except in extreme cases such as if the mother's health is in danger)

Taking the life of a person who took a life or lives, makes that indivdual(s) no better than the one being executed. It's complete hypocrisy to chastise someone for something and to turn around and do the same to them. When the religious leaders wanted to stone the woman caught in adultery in the New Testament, Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." I take that in a sense as I have no business judging someone else because I have sin in my life, and also as a reference reversing the Law of the Old Testament to literally give the death penalty to those who sinned. Jesus turned the tables and said if you've committed ANY sin(which we all do, according to The Bible), you have no right to take the life of another.

Abortion to me is a no-brainer. That child has a life that God has a purpose for, and ending it's life is murder. Period. However, I will go for hours how the church is focusing too much on this and other issues that from their mention in The Bible, are not on God's mind nearly as much as certain ones that are widely ignored.:|

redhotswami said:

No you're right. I think that is the reasoning behind it. I'm just pissed that this president took JP2's term "sanctity of life" and used it for his agenda...solely for abortion. Forgetting that the sanctity of life needs to continue beyond birth.

I think Bush thought that "Once the child is born...it's not my problem anymore!"....or at least he thinks about it in the back of his head :wink:

Drea said:
I'm not going to touch the abortion thing beyond saying that whatever side of the debate you may be on, I think we can all agree that people who use it merely as birth control when there are cheaper, easier and better ways of birth control cheapen it. ("Cheapen" may not be the right word, but you guys know what I mean.)

definitley - I understand why abortion exists; the complexities of each individual situation play their part in what makes a person choose such a path. I do my best not to judge usually; I have no more right to judge someone else than they do to judge me; whatever decisions they make but unfortunately I have known women who have done that, and not just once - I can't even imagine being that lazy and thoughtless it makes me ache inside just thinking about it.

redhotswami said:
Zach - I think atonement is a far more compassionate and severe punishment.

:hmm:

well the potentisally powerful things about jail-for-life for Major Atrocities...........is that IMHO.

......1] if the person genuninely turns about and really sees/feels the Horror of what htey have done...then they are going to feel incredible painful shame/guilt etc .
Never underestimate the intense pain of that kind of tuurn about.

and
:ohmy: i just FORGOT reason # 2 :der:

don't forget to check out that other last nyc post i put up for you mia

and BTW from your photo I thot your fsamily had roots in the Usbconinent of India.

ANd here in NYC many more Mexicans have been living here for the past 10 years..........

Brit - I agree. While I'm glad so many people are committed to abortion, at the same time I'm curious about how so many focus on making one line of scripture "before you were in the womb"...or something, they don't focus much on the other scripture which talks about helping the poor.

sadly, many women getting abortions come from impoverished backgrounds where a) they didn't get sex education and/or b) aren't informed of alternatives

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:

I think Bush thought that "Once the child is born...it's not my problem anymore!"....or at least he thinks about it in the back of his head :wink:

You're assuming Bush actually thinks... which is highly debatable :wink:

Drea said:
I'm not going to touch the abortion thing beyond saying that whatever side of the debate you may be on, I think we can all agree that people who use it merely as birth control when there are cheaper, easier and better ways of birth control cheapen it. ("Cheapen" may not be the right word, but you guys know what I mean.)

Ohhhh...I hate that type of women! I just wished they used a condom or some other cheaper kind of birth control. :mad:

Brittany - I'm sorry to hear about your great aunt :hug: :sad:

dazzledbylight said:
and BTW from your photo I thot your fsamily had roots in the Usbconinent of India.

:lol: for real? omg if only! Indian culture is soooooo beautiful. My friend let me try on some of her dresses and they are gorgeous. Of course, the food is to die for. I know there's more to culture than food & dress, but I would have NOT minded growing up eating na'an and wearing pretty sparklies every day :love:

redhotswami said:
Brit - I agree. While I'm glad so many people are committed to abortion, at the same time I'm curious about how so many focus on making one line of scripture "before you were in the womb"...or something, they don't focus much on the other scripture which talks about helping the poor.

sadly, many women getting abortions come from impoverished backgrounds where a) they didn't get sex education and/or b) aren't informed of alternatives

You always know what's on my mind.:sexywink: Btw, I would totally suggest reading "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning when you get a chance. If I didn't know, I would've thought you'd gleaned some of your responses from him. He talks about how we as Believers need to defend the rights of the unborn, but he said we're not truly "pro-life" unless we're for every life. He posed the question "Where were all the people crying over abortion when black families were getting shotgunned out of white neighborhoods?" I just remember thinking "Thank you!"

Sorry to hear about your great aunt, Britt - the mother of a good friend of my father's just died this week as well. it seems to happen that way, in streaks

U2isthebest said:

You always know what's on my mind.:sexywink: Btw, I would totally suggest reading "The Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning when you get a chance. If I didn't know, I would've thought you'd gleaned some of your responses from him. He talks about how we as Believers need to defend the rights of the unborn, but he said we're not truly "pro-life" unless we're for every life. He posed the question "Where were all the people crying over abortion when black families were getting shotgunned out of white neighborhoods?" I just remember thinking "Thank you!"

:addsbooktolist: No I have not read it, but ragamuffins sound delicious so I will check it out! :wink: I think it is great we share some of the same philosophies! You've really helped affirm and even stretch my thinking since we've began talking.

dazzledbylight said:

you caught the last one about the verioud types of rleaxation rerstful & vs energetic........just want to make sure you saw that last one :)

yep I sure did! i'm more into energetic relaxation, so I will keep that in mind for next time I go to nyc!

redhotswami said:

:addsbooktolist: No I have not read it, but ragamuffins sound delicious so I will check it out! :wink: I think it is great we share some of the same philosophies! You've really helped affirm and even stretch my thinking since we've began talking.

*warm fuzzies*:kiss: I feel the same way:flirt: And yes, you definitely need to check out "Ragamuffin":drool:

Back
Top Bottom