PLEBA Girls Party: New Year, old friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dazzledbylight said:

:ohmy:
:sad: i'm SO sorry Mia! :hug:

I am against the Daeth Penalty but there ARE DEF people whoes crimes :mad: makes that Very Hard to be that way!

thanks dazz! :hug: i agree, some people do some really really atrocious things. but, i've discovered that atonement is actually a far more compassionate AND severe punishment.

My local Fox station just reported that the Arab TV networks are reporting Saddam's execution.

Edit: Now NBC says he was executed 15 minutes ago, Reuters also confirmed it, and they're not going to show the videotape.

Last edited:
jobob said:
dazz, I'm also in Eastern time (the western edge of it). The times you're suggesting would also probably work for me most of the time. :hmm:

ahh!

you know what I found ...when i went to atlanta Georgia it's also on the near edge of EST..and I noticed that the SUn SET a 1/2 hour Later than it did in NYC!

If you visited NYC you'd probably notice it sets a 1/2 hour earlier than you are used too! :lol:

I love cities, but I've only lived in Dublin and Washington, DC. I've only visited NYC for a few days. It seemed so big! I've had my friend who went to college in Brooklyn share some horror stories (getting jumped in the subway, and bullets flying past her head once). but at the same time she did have a great time and met some really awesome friends. I'm no stranger to crime. But I'm just not sure if I wanna move there.

I didn't forget you MIa! It just took along time to reply-- you see WHY in a min! :wink:

redhotswami said:
hey dazz...how do you like nyc? i've seen a job opening there at CUNY...but i don't know.

:hmm: HOW do I like NYC?

:lmao:

I'm NOT laughing AT you, Mia..................it's that you've picked a VERY BIASED person. :lol:

I ABSOULUTELY adore/cheerlead// CHERISH :heart: NYC [which is ACTAUALLY ALL 5 buroughs]!

I AM a born & bred" NYC'r. :D ANd i love my city i think even more every year!

I may get very anoyed at times or frustrated BUT i've neveronce said/felt I've :mad: hated it.

It's some city.let me tel you. It can be very crowded Noisy.but there are many quieter places. There are BEAUTIFUL Parks & Gardens.

Beleive it or not SPring is VERY Beautiful & Wonderful here.
:happy: Fall is lovely esp the first half when it's warmer and the leaves haven't turned colors yet. I love the colors but then they drop off and stay bare for TOO long1 I have winmter seasonal Affective Disorder.

I DOES get very HUMID/HOT here re U2's New York song but NOT alway7s there are some stetches of GORGEOUS days um about low 80's with low {fior nyc} humidity 30 - 40% in Summer IS low!

I love all the different people here! t Theere's SO many different and even moderate to prety inexpensive restqaurants to eat Chineese, Indian, Tex-mex, some authentic Mexiican, Meditarrian, greek, italian SPanish And Hispanic/latin foods. etc Ukrainian foods too! :D I love all of these!

Indian fooid has broadened over the last say 10 -15 yrs to include NOT ONLY Northern bur also Soouuthern ANd more Regional State's cooking! YUM!

It's VERy expensive to live in MnAHTAN A MOSTLY these days. there arfe very nice sections in Queens, Brooklyn and the BRonx has ben returning to much beter states in many sections.

Statan Island? wel..eh...........it's TOO FAR away from everything. ANd it tends over all to be the Most Consewrvative burrough:madspit: . There are places where rascism shows up more than others and unless it's changed SI has had a rep of being more so, Certainlt true in p[arts of Brooklyn as wel.

any MORE you want to know right now! : D

redhotswami said:
I love cities, but I've only lived in Dublin and Washington, DC. I've only visited NYC for a few days. It seemed so big! I've had my friend who went to college in Brooklyn share some horror stories (getting jumped in the subway, and bullets flying past her head once). but at the same time she did have a great time and met some really awesome friends. I'm no stranger to crime. But I'm just not sure if I wanna move there.

I've worked -- and gone to school -- in Detroit. So I'm no stranger to big bad cities. I'm more concerned with the cost of living in NYC and the way of life there. For instance, people here drive
everywhere; if l moved to New York, I'd have to give up my beloved little car. And the cost of rent?!?

jobob said:

I've worked -- and gone to school -- in Detroit. So I'm no stranger to big bad cities. I'm more concerned with the cost of living in NYC and the way of life there. For instance, people here drive
everywhere; if l moved to New York, I'd have to give up my beloved little car. And the cost of rent?!?

:lol: those are my concerns too. id almost consider getting a job as a resident director on campus just so i would have a free apartment.

redhotswami said:
manhattan would be a cool place to work for increased possibility of bono sightings :drool: but the $$$!!!! :angry:

Why, yes. Yes, it would. :drool:

But the cost of living there! I'd probably have to live in another borough.
:mad: and :sad:

dazz, what is your opinion as a resident of nyc of Lehman College in Bronx? Is it really pronounced like Lemon? Because I can interpret it as a sign.

Sometimes I get these weird U2 affirmation signs. Like, I'll be in the store, debating whether or not to buy something, and then a U2 song comes on, and I take it as encouragement. Cheesy, I know. But it isn't every day you hear U2's Gloria played in a clothing store :love: I took it as divine intervention :wink:

redhotswami said:

Mia & Jobob..there ARE alot of places in NYC that DON't HAve that high and deadly "bulets flying" type3s of crimes. :tyes:

and I travel safely on ethe SUbway way into the earlier we hours 1AM even sometimes 2 or 3 AM not oftewn............when Iv'e been on the Net here on 32nd st 3 blocks west of MSG!

I keep out an eye for potential trouble.............but salso I usaly don't have that shakey "BE CAREFUL!" intyerior atitude that -- IF you beleive in metaphysics can draw trouble to you by Concentrating TOO much on it,
Of course i DID feel somewhat more vunerable when i meessswed up something in my foot/ankle/leg.i don't remember now...probably a good thing-- didn't imprint too hard on me - ifelt somewhat more vunerable.

if i just repeatedmyself i'm sorry thise screen type iis hard for me to see! from rthis se4ction of cafe.

ALso another very "sensitive"point/observation

I hope no one will take it the wronfg way.

I am white> I'm in my almost mid 50's now [people say i don't lookm it] very active. I have a litle rascism inme but usually NOT much or none alot of the time { i was raised with very inclusive parents -had friends of most ethnicities, races and a fair amount fo religions since i was in my early teens , even tweens. THey visited me and I visited them.
{and yeadh i keep wroking on my biases when thery pop up - like3 bad memes :madwife:]

SO how can i put this i usualy deep inside have a sense of peple of color being equal to me and uisally as I am gently/ quietly curteous to people in public [and privatge :lol: except my nasty rroomie, often ]..........since i usually present it/project it out in my engery feild/spirit/aura however................
...............most of the young Afro-AMericans/Afro-Carribeans/Lintino's etc treat me with polieness & respwect.
Even when they are dressed like "from the 'hood' .

"Even"" and I put this IN quotes because there are too many white people here in YC that esp women do the old cluth there purse, shy away esp from younger people of color.
ANd a still too many of my whiter folks keep compalining about "black folk" sometimes in code...how pwople aren't as polite as they used to be esp ytounger people.

Like I said I have usauly been traeted with respc t by "those" people.

So if you can exaim what kind of biases you might have, startto try and think/feel people - ALL people- generally dersevetyhe respect you'd like to have that projects outwards and gnerally you will ALSO be treated with respect back.
I feel my life has generally been living proof of that,

// hops off lecturn! :)

redhotswami said:
dazz, what is your opinion as a resident of nyc of Lehman College in Bronx? Is it really pronounced like Lemon? Because I can interpret it as a sign.

Sometimes I get these weird U2 affirmation signs. Like, I'll be in the store, debating whether or not to buy something, and then a U2 song comes on, and I take it as encouragement. Cheesy, I know. But it isn't every day you hear U2's Gloria played in a clothing store :love: I took it as divine intervention :wink:

:giggle:

I sometimes think like that too. :)

I've also done it with other importsant cultural favorites , as wel.

UM no tho it's pronounced LEE-Man.

Last edited:
dazzledbylight said:

"Even"" and I put this IN quotes because there are too many white people here in YC that esp women do the old cluth there purse, shy away esp from younger people of color.
ANd a still too many of my whiter folks keep compalining about "black folk" sometimes in code...how pwople aren't as polite as they used to be esp ytounger people.

Like I said I have usauly been traeted with respc t by "those" people.

// hops off lecturn! :)

*hasn't left yet*

Oh, God, dazz, I can't tell you how many white people in Detroit and Michigan have that ^ same general attitude about people of different races. And how much I hate it. :angry:

dazzledbylight said:

:gigle:

I sometimes think like that too. :)

UM no tho it's pronounced LEE-Man.

hmm, well maybe if it is LEE-man then it isn't the sign i thought it was? I think perhaps I should just apply anyway though, because this job would really be perfect for me.

dazz - i'm mixed mexican & black. i, personally, am more comfortable livign in communities that are more diverse (unline where i'm living now :angry: ). plus, like i said, i'm no stranger to crime either. i spent most of my childhood in gary, in. i totally agree with you on the whole "if you focus too much on something it will happen" thing too!

i guess my concern is...i talk so much about how i miss living in the city, and how im a city girl, blah blah blah, but my city experience has been rather small cities (dublin & dc). im wondering if nyc might be too big for me???

i dunno...i gotta discern more about this. thanks for sharing all that you have though, it was great to see your perspective :hug:

ah yeah and ho boy///with Detroit being a large population of Arab folks there!

Funny in my neighborhood in Brooklyn it;'s the first dtime I've sactauly met SArab prople ie runing one of my major supper markets/newstands...........

I think one of my friends inmy tweens/teen might haver been part Arab..........

Arab people were one of the groups of peole I'd had hardly sany contact with through most of my life BUT I was introduced to there beautiful art * architecture when i was prety young and soon after SUfism {mystical side of Islam]....

all postiives things to be there as anchorsa fter anti-arab sentiments were stirred up.

Back
Top Bottom