Pleba Girls Party: Come together, right now, over me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
~BrightestStar~ said:

It does seem that way. I wonder what's the cause of it though?
Is it just liek the whoel morning/night person thing? :hmm:

Ok, so I'm working on the "introduction" of sorts...
And from what I can tell the paper has a slightly more relaxed style, aka we are encouraged to use "I think" and stuff..
Anyway, my intro seems rather circular...I start off sort of talking about what the papers about..then wander into some background stuff, and make some claims (claims are not good in your intro, right...altho I suppose I'll be defedning the claims later in the paper) and then end with a clear declaration of my purpose...
:uhoh:

ack. stupid writing. I'm just not in the mood.

Clearly you've been more productive than I. :applaud:
Did you steal my half of the brain or something? :madwife:

I'm really glad things are working out. :hug:

And no, I haven't heard? Do tell!

I have every confidence you'll get it together at the last minute, just in time to pull off a miraculous recovery, and turn in the best paper that was ever written. :cloneloveprocrastination: :yes:

Long story...Sarah's high school has been having protests yesterday and today...she was interviewed for a newspaper article that ran today. It was on the CTV news, and this afternoon, CBC and Global were sending news trucks to cover it as well, but the kids were told by the police they had to pack up and vacate the site an hour earlier than they had planned, so someone let the trucks know, so they're not coming till tomorrow (they plan to protest all week)...I'll PM you the link to the article. I'd rather not post the location of her HS on here. :uhoh:

Thora!:hug:

Jo! Glad the foots dooin better hun.

VintagePunk said:

I have every confidence you'll get it together at the last minute, just in time to pull off a miraculous recovery, and turn in the best paper that was ever written. :cloneloveprocrastination: :yes:

Long story...Sarah's high school has been having protests yesterday and today...she was interviewed for a newspaper article that ran today. It was on the CTV news, and this afternoon, CBC and Global were sending news trucks to cover it as well, but the kids were told by the police they had to pack up and vacate the site an hour earlier than they had planned, so someone let the trucks know, so they're not coming till tomorrow (they plan to protest all week)...I'll PM you the link to the article. I'd rather not post the location of her HS on here. :uhoh:

:clonelove:
All you need is pompoms and you could be my very own cheerleader. :love:

Pft, figures the one day I don't watch the news I miss out on all the interesting stuff!
A protest eh....sounds exciting!

~BrightestStar~ said:
Thora!:hug:

Jo! Glad the foots dooin better hun.

Pft, figures the one day I don't watch the news I miss out on all the interesting stuff!
A protest eh....sounds exciting!

Thanks, Bri. I actually dared to wear a slight heeled shoe to work today! :ohmy:

There's no news of school protests right now on Google News Canada. But not everything is on the Internet, you know. :wink:

Hi, Thora! :hug:

~BrightestStar~ said:

My thoughts exactly! :combust: :hyper:

You know what was random yesterday? Remeber how you asked me about the U2 stagewest thing the other day and I said we'd never thougth about it again? well, yesterday my mom randomly brings it up and tells me it's coming up soon and stuff...:hmm:

"Coming up soon?" It was Monday :lol:

VP - Oakville? Nice :D *facepalm* I read that entire thread and didn't bother to find out where a screen was in TO! There's gotta be one here somewhere - after all, if Oakville has one... :wink:

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
What are they protesting about VP? I don't mind if you don't tell me :hug:

It's a LONG story. I didn't want to bore you all, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Her school is the oldest HS in the city, and it's in an older/historical part of town. There's a lot of school spirit and community affection for the school. Basically, it's old and needs a lot of repair, but 10 or 15 yrs ago, new sections were built. So, they have to do something about it. More than 5 yrs ago they started saying it would either have to be repaired/reconstructed on its present site, or closed down and a whole new school built on a new site. After years of political wrangling, it was finally decided to reconstruct on the present site. Reconstruction was to start on parts of it next month, then fully when school gets out in June. It's going to take a year, but plans have been put into place to deal with this - they'll use parts of the school while the rest is being worked on, and half of the students will go in the morning, half in the afternoon, plus they're using a few alternate sites to hold classes. Cool, right?

Monday night, the school board trustees met and voted down the decision to reconstruct, halting all the plans, saying they're going to purchase land from the city to build a new school. Students and teachers and community members are furious. Kids have been protesting for two days, and plan to continue for the rest of the week. Essentially, there have been no classes for two days, cause no one's attending, they're all outside. Teachers can't endorse this action. but secretly, they're very supportive.Now, the mayor is saying the city will NOT sell land to the board to build a new school. That's pretty much it.

VintagePunk said:

It's a LONG story. I didn't want to bore you all, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Her school is the oldest HS in the city, and it's in an older/historical part of town. There's a lot of school spirit and community affection for the school. Basically, it's old and needs a lot of repair, but 10 or 15 yrs ago, new sections were built. So, they have to do something about it. More than 5 yrs ago they started saying it would either have to be repaired/reconstructed on its present site, or closed down and a whole new school built on a new site. After years of political wrangling, it was finally decided to reconstruct on the present site. Reconstruction was to start on parts of it next month, then fully when school gets out in June. It's going to take a year, but plans have been put into place to deal with this - they'll use parts of the school while the rest is being worked on, and half of the students will go in the morning, half in the afternoon, plus they're using a few alternate sites to hold classes. Cool, right?

Monday night, the school board trustees met and voted down the decision to reconstruct, halting all the plans, saying they're going to purchase land from the city to build a new school. Students and teachers and community members are furious. Kids have been protesting for two days, and plan to continue for the rest of the week. Essentially, there have been no classes for two days, cause no one's attending, they're all outside. Teachers can't endorse this action. but secretly, they're very supportive.Now, the mayor is saying the city will NOT sell land to the board to build a new school. That's pretty much it.

This isn't boring at all! Definitely interesting stuff. Good for the students for protesting. :up: It definitely does work.

I used to be quite the activist when I was in high school, and we were always protesting one thing or another. That's awesome that they were able to get the media's attention and support.

Hi Fiona and Ali!

VintagePunk said:

Ahh...I understand their :angry:. I'm just lucky that my high school was already a two-parter (Meaning I had my freshman and sophmore years in the "newer" part of the school and my junior and senior in the original school...since the original school couldn't handle a large amount of kids such as my year. I couldn't tell you the exact number but it's in the hundreds and/or thousands)

VP, good for the students.

Stupid school board trustees. :madspit: Besides the sentimental reasons, wouldn't remodeling the existing building be less expensive and take less time than building a completely new high school? :shrug:

ThoraSEB said:

This isn't boring at all! Definitely interesting stuff. Good for the students for protesting. :up: It definitely does work.

I used to be quite the activist when I was in high school, and we were always protesting one thing or another. That's awesome that they were able to get the media's attention and support.

Hi Fiona and Ali!

Yesterday when the news first got around the school, I guess it was chaos, and about 200 - 300 students went outside, blocked off the street, caused a ruckus, marched a mile away to the school board office, broke windows, there were arrests, etc.

Today's (and the rest of the week's) were planned by cooler heads. Today's was peaceful and about 800 of the 1200 students at the school took part. Sarah was talking to a teacher who peeked his head out at lunch time, and he said that he had only one kid in each of his morning classes. :lol:

I'm just reading another article now...the mayor sounds PISSED. :bow: Sounds like the trustees jumped the gun by calling a halt to the plans to rebuild...

VintagePunk said:

not boring at all! talk about the school board complicating things at the last minute, it's a pity the teachers aren't able to be more open in their support of the students.

VintagePunk said:

Yesterday when the news first got around the school, I guess it was chaos, and about 200 - 300 students went outside, blocked off the street, caused a ruckus, marched a mile away to the school board office, broke windows, there were arrests, etc.

Today's (and the rest of the week's) were planned by cooler heads. Today's was peaceful and about 800 of the 1200 students at the school took part. Sarah was talking to a teacher who peeked his head out at lunch time, and he said that he had only one kid in each of his morning classes. :lol:

I'm just reading another article now...the mayor sounds PISSED. :bow: Sounds like the trustees jumped the gun by calling a halt to the plans to rebuild...

Sometimes protest is a good thing :up:

But at least it's going to be a peaceful one for the rest of the week *Double* :up:

jobob said:
VP, good for the students.

Stupid school board trustees. :madspit: Besides the sentimental reasons, wouldn't remodeling the existing building be less expensive and take less time than building a completely new high school? :shrug:

The costs of repair and rebuilding are almost the same. But the problem is lack of available land (the other night, the trustees assumed they could get this one piece of land, but it sounds like they won't, now)...but even if they could get the land, it'd be about 5 more years before it would be ready for them to build on (zoning and sewer issues), and because it's so old, the school is really expensive to maintain on an annual basis, so it'd cost them mega $$ till it was time to build the new one, just to keep the old one inhabitable. Plus, there's the historical and community attachment aspects.

Bye Drea... :lol:

:der:

Bri, I tried to do some cheerleading action for Fiona the other day, but she told me I was too distracting... :lol:
*looks sadly at pom-poms*

That is an interesting situation with the school, VP... I hope the Mayor and the media and the students give the trustees/board what-for!

Back
Top Bottom