Pleba Girls Party: All Star Action!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hiiiiii everybody!!!! :hug:s!!!
I'm baaaaack-- AGAIN! at least for about 1/2 hr
....couldn't take it any had to run up to cafe....but i have a weekly unlimited metro card {subway} so it doesn't "cost" me anything more!

OMG SG those bono pic's!!!! and one's from :drool: :drool: BROOKLYN, too!!!!

jobob said:

:hug: Diane!

I've been a part-time student in the MLIS program at Wayne State since just before Sept. 11. Next month, I'm finally finished. :hyper:

I started out wanting to work in a special library. Now, I think I would consider a position in either a public or special library -- or in a non-library setting. I just want to finish and then start looking for a job. :)

Where do you go to library school? What are you specializing in?

Congratulations on finishing your masters!!!! That is terrific. Isn't it so worth it?

I am going to C.W. Post on Long Island, NY. I have 7 classes done, and 5 to go. Unfortunately, I've run out of money, and I'd better go explain my situation to the acting dean before classes start again in Sept. I didn't take any classes this calendar year. I don't want to drop out totally, because I want this degree, very badly.

I'm not sure of my concentration yet. One bad thing is that Suffolk County, Long Island, where I live, has a glut of new MLS grads who are trying to get into public libraries. And, as with many things in life, it's who you know. Those doing the hiring are very skilled at playing the civil service system so they get exactly who they want, even if other people placed higher on the civil service test.

I'm finding that I like the science of library science probably even more than the library part of it! I'm a real geek when it comes to learning about cataloging, metadata and all that fun stuff. I LOVED an Abstracting and Indexing class I took in the Fall of '04. I would be perfectly happy writing abstracts for journals the rest of my career. Better still, working for an abstract...don't know the name...that has abstracts on articles in consumer publications. Their office is in Cambridge, Massachusetts. That would truly be my dream job! And my publishing background would help me, I think.

How is the job market for MLS grads in the Detroit area? Do you have any places in mind to apply to?

Hi GG! :hug:

Okay I know this isn't Bono or the boys, but I still had to share. Its no fun doing the happy dance alone out in my studio. :laugh:

workpics003.jpg

This is a part of the monster bitch I've been working on. Its the project that had me so screwed up I was just going to scrap the whole thing. Now I'm loving it again. Its no where near finished, but I got this idea earlier to paint on it before I started sewing on it. So after it dries over night we will see what happens tomorrow. :shrug:

Russty Cat said:
Joanne and Diane I went to school for a few years with a minor in Library Science. My dad thought it would be perfect for me since I love to read.

My dad always thought I'd be a librarian when I grew up.
Now I'm a bit sad he's gone just before it really happened.

On another note ... On the west side of Michigan, we have SG, who is posting all these great photos of Bono. On the east side of Michigan, we have Jobob, whose laptop is refusing to right-click and save all these great photos of Bono. :no:

ruffian said:

quoting yourself is better than quoting others, sometimes :wink: i missed my dogs terribly and they've been glued to my side since i got back!

i love boston and if i weren't giving stupid final exams that week!!! real life getting in the way of my U2...hmmph!

just wanted to say a really quick 'hi' to ruffian- welcome back!! i hope that europe was fantastic... and i hope to see you on the fall leg! :)

Russty Cat said:
Hi GG! :hug:

Okay I know this isn't Bono or the boys, but I still had to share. Its no fun doing the happy dance alone out in my studio. :laugh:

workpics003.jpg

This is a part of the monster bitch I've been working on. Its the project that had me so screwed up I was just going to scrap the whole thing. Now I'm loving it again. Its no where near finished, but I got this idea earlier to paint on it before I started sewing on it. So after it dries over night we will see what happens tomorrow. :shrug:

That's so cool Russty! :)

The closest I get to designing anything is the colour combos I use on my afghans... with the exception of the Notre Dame afghan I did for my sister (that she requested - and God was that painful for a Michigan fan to do!!). I did the interlocking ND, but graphed it myself :) And if I ever get the damn pics of it that Megan promised me I'll post them here :laugh:

Russty Cat said:
Joanne and Diane I went to school for a few years with a minor in Library Science. My dad thought it would be perfect for me since I love to read. Small problem is that I'm horrible at keeping things organized and I'm pretty much anti-any type of authority. :lol: It definetly wasn't the job for me. But I did enjoy being in the library at my college alot.

Oh, Russty, that's interesting. I know what you mean about organization...that's the Science of the Library Science degree! As I've just explained to Joanne (and everybody here, actually!) I'm finding that I like the Science part of Library Science far more than I ever thought I would.

One aspect of libraries that can be a pain is dealing with the public. Most people are sweethearts, and it's nice to be recognized in the community by patrons. But I've worked as a Circulation Clerk at my local library for the past three years, and there are times when you get a real blister of a patron who just won't listen to reason, or is just plain cranky...and how can anyone be cranky in a library? All the best things in the world are there...books, CDs, videos, magazines! And you can borrow them for free! Anyway, I'd prefer a job behind the scenes, where I don't have to deal directly with patrons very often.

jobob said:

On another note ... On the west side of Michigan, we have SG, who is posting all these great photos of Bono. On the east side of Michigan, we have Jobob, whose laptop is refusing to right-click and save all these great photos of Bono. :no:

:lol: That's no good! :yikes:

**And I'm sure your dad knows and is very proud of you :hug:

Last edited:
jobob said:

I'm sorry about your dad, Joanne. :hug:

jobob said:

Joanne :hug: that does suck how that works out sometimes. :heart:

Your laptop needs a good talking too! :mad: Must save pretty pictures! :wink:

Diane L said:

Congratulations on finishing your masters!!!! That is terrific. Isn't it so worth it?[/QYOTE]

After nearly four years, it's gonna be so great to have a normal life again.

I'm finding that I like the science of library science probably even more than the library part of it! I'm a real geek when it comes to learning about cataloging, metadata and all that fun stuff. I LOVED an Abstracting and Indexing class I took in the Fall of '04. I would be perfectly happy writing abstracts for journals the rest of my career. Better still, working for an abstract...don't know the name...that has abstracts on articles in consumer publications. Their office is in Cambridge, Massachusetts. That would truly be my dream job! And my publishing background would help me, I think.

How is the job market for MLS grads in the Detroit area? Do you have any places in mind to apply to?

I have a few places in mind. I now work for a newspaper/magazine publishing company, and I'd like to work in its Information Center (either here or in our Chicago office). I need to talk to our human resources department about that possibility.

Michigan doesn't have a lot of funding for public libraries at the moment. However, openings of all types around the state and country are regularly posted to our program's listserv. And the Detroit Public Library and other area library systems always take applications from recent grads. Plus, ProQuest is headquartered near me in Ann Arbor -- I wouldn't mind working there and living there.

Diane L said:

One aspect of libraries that can be a pain is dealing with the public. Most people are sweethearts, and it's nice to be recognized in the community by patrons. But I've worked as a Circulation Clerk at my local library for the past three years, and there are times when you get a real blister of a patron who just won't listen to reason, or is just plain cranky...and how can anyone be cranky in a library? All the best things in the world are there...books, CDs, videos, magazines! And you can borrow them for free! Anyway, I'd prefer a job behind the scenes, where I don't have to deal directly with patrons very often.

*g* I worked as a student page in the public library back home my last year and a half of high school - definitely preferred shelving, etc to being at the front desk! ;) Mind you I got sidetracked shelf reading in the Mystery and Sci-Fi/Fantasy sections more than a few times... awfully tempting to start reading stuff instead of working :laugh:

Drea said:

That's so cool Russty! :)

The closest I get to designing anything is the colour combos I use on my afghans... with the exception of the Notre Dame afghan I did for my sister (that she requested - and God was that painful for a Michigan fan to do!!). I did the interlocking ND, but graphed it myself :) And if I ever get the damn pics of it that Megan promised me I'll post them here :laugh:

:hug: GG thanks :D

:hug: Drea hey I give you a ton of credit for doing afghans like that. That is a ton of work. I use to crochet alot years ago, but I was always using other peoples patterns.

When I started out I always used other peoples patterns, but a few years ago a friend opened pandoras box in my head and I've never been able to close it. :lol: I haven't used someone else pattern since. I'm hoping if this all works out well that I'm going to do a write up on this one for a national magazine.

hey DL....since we're thinking so alike at this moment....any idea over the next month or 2 when you might be at tyour Manhattan office?

you can either e-m me {if you still have my addy or I'll e-m you with mine since i still have yours.

jobob said:

I have a few places in mind. I now work for a newspaper/magazine publishing company, and I'd like to work in its Information Center (either here or in our Chicago office). I need to talk to our human resources department about that possibility.

Michigan doesn't have a lot of funding for public libraries at the moment. However, openings of all types around the state and country are regularly posted to our program's listserv. And the Detroit Public Library and other area library systems always take applications from recent grads. Plus, ProQuest is headquartered near me in Ann Arbor -- I wouldn't mind working there and living there.

ProQuest would be a fantastic place to work! I've heard Ann Arbor is a great city, too. I worked at a Borders for a little over two years, so I've heard a lot about that city.

It's great that you work at a place with an Information Center, too. See what human resources says...perhaps you can get a transfer into that department.

And good luck wherever you go! :hug:

Aww DG :cute: thats not so bad! I think it's downright cute. (Of course, I don't have to wear it, so thats not worth much, right :wink: ) I wouldn't have done well if my HS had required a uniform :no: I was rather rebelious in my fashion choices :lol:

Russty - your design is very cool :up:

*pantpant* I'm falling behind tonight!

Where'd VP go? :scratch:

dazzledbylight said:
hey DL....since we're thinking so alike at this moment....any idea over the next month or 2 when you might be at tyour Manhattan office?

you can either e-m me {if you still have my addy or I'll e-m you with mine since i still have yours.

I honestly don't know when I'll be in there next, Dazz, because the project I would have worked on over the next month has been cancelled. :sad: Thank God I've got another freelance place where I can work for now, but it's 10 minutes from my house and I don't have to go into Manhattan.

But yes, I will let you know when I'll be in there. I really should come in sometime, if only to send some things to my house that belong to me and clean the desk. (So far, my other project is still on, but I'm prepared for the worst. :sad:) And you can e-m me anytime!!! :hug:

:reject: I skipped my college graduation to be in a wedding (that lasted 3 mths) My family was all there though, my Mom-in-law grad the same day, same ceremony. So they all clapped when the said my name

greeneyedgirl said:
:reject: I skipped my college graduation to be in a wedding (that lasted 3 mths) My family was all there though, my Mom-in-law grad the same day, same ceremony. So they all clapped when the said my name

The wedding lasted for three months? or the marriage? :lol:

Drea said:

*g* I worked as a student page in the public library back home my last year and a half of high school - definitely preferred shelving, etc to being at the front desk! ;) Mind you I got sidetracked shelf reading in the Mystery and Sci-Fi/Fantasy sections more than a few times... awfully tempting to start reading stuff instead of working :laugh:

That's the best thing about working in a book store...leafing through the books when you're straightening out the shelves! I definitely like dealing with books more than some people sometimes...I'm pretty friendly but sometimes you just feel like you want to go away and hide rather than face one more patron...!

Back
Top Bottom