Pleba Girls: Crossing All Limbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
General rules for Canadian spelling

The "rules" for Canadian spelling are not as cut and dried as you might think. There are some regional variations, and differences of opinion exist among editors. The government style guide says that editors should consult the Gage Canadian Dictionary and go with the word used first, an unsatisfactory solution compounded by the unsatisfactory nature of Gage. To get a better sense of what the norm is, in 1984 the Freelance Editors' Association of Canada (now called the Editors' Association of Canada) surveyed publishers, academics, PR people, editors and writers about their spelling preferences. Here's what FEAC found out.

COLOUR OR COLOR? Three quarters of the respondents preferred -our endings. (See below.)

CENTRE OR CENTER? Eighty-nine per cent went with traditional -re endings such as centre and theatre .

CIGARETTE OR CIGARET? A similar proportion as above preferred cauldron to caldron and preferred the long forms of axe, catalogue, cigarette, moustache and omelette, but program won out over programme.

DEFENCE OR DEFENSE? Four fifths of the sample preferred -ce over -se in nouns such as defence, practice and pretence, but let -se stand when such words were used as verbs, such as to practise the piano lesson.

AESTHETIC OR ESTHETIC? Three quarters used the diphthong (ae or oe) in such words as aesthetic, archaeology and manoeuvre, but those polled split on medieval.

ORGANIZE OR ORGANISE? Canadian editors rejected the British -ise endings, such as organise, preferring -ize endings. (This page, in fact, was born when several of our clients ran our work through MS Word spellers, and then complained about "spelling mistakes" like organization.)

CHEQUE OR CHECK? Many homonyms are given different spellings to convey different meanings, including mould/mold, cheque/check and racquet/racket. A cheque, for example, is something you use to pay for a dipstick, which you can use to check your oil.

ENROLL OR ENROL? Majorities of up to 90 per cent liked the double L in such words as enroll, fulfill, install, marvelled, marvellous, signalled, skillful, traveller and woollen.

Sad_Girl said:

:lol: Sometimes Mark and I go around Spending Canadian coins 'En Masse', and we talk like a couple of Canadians, Eh! :lmao:

:lmao: Oh man I'm dyin ovah here! :lol: I could never get Mr. Cat to do that with me!

My girlfriend and I love to do fake accents when we travel though. After riding in the car for like 10 hours anything seems like a good idea. :lol:

"cheque"
"organise"

girls, i'm gonna need some alone time now.

*plucks hand sanitizer from Bri's hands*

*browneyedgirl* said:
Wow! Ruff! 200 men on horses! can I go with you? :hyper: :drool:

oh, there's plenty to go around...and don't forget the tight pants, black shiny boots...

:drool:

Sad_Girl said:

:lol: Sometimes Mark and I go around Spending Canadian coins 'En Masse', and we talk like a couple of Canadians, Eh! :lmao:

** Ok, so we're too easily amused :reject:

I have a small collection of Canadian coins that I keep. :reject: And I think I've got a coin of some type from Ireland when someone went to Dublin and brought me back a key chain. I think they gave me an Irish coin or two. *contemplates the shiney coins*

Russty Cat said:

:lmao: Oh man I'm dyin ovah here! :lol: I could never get Mr. Cat to do that with me!

My girlfriend and I love to do fake accents when we travel though. After riding in the car for like 10 hours anything seems like a good idea. :lol:

:lol: He plays along with that one; and he can be goofy as hell if he's in the right mood. We used to have a Barney stuffed animal floating around the ambulance base, and we would all move it around, position it, do strange things with it to try and get each other to laugh. Someone once Hung it by the neck from the drop ceiling, and the next day, someone topped that by putting a steak knife through the stitching as if he were murdered.

Mark took a roll of masking tape and made an outline of the body and then he went and got our local homicide detective, brought him back to the base and took pictures of him 'investigating the case' :lmao:

There usually isn't a lot of love and patience between Law Enforcement and EMS, so when Mark hung the photo's up on the EMS directors door, he about soiled his pants. He expected the detective to be pissed off, but it actually opened up the lines of communication between the departments :lol:

CeeCee said:

I have a small collection of Canadian coins that I keep. :reject: And I think I've got a coin of some type from Ireland when someone went to Dublin and brought me back a key chain. I think they gave me an Irish coin or two. *contemplates the shiney coins*

Why don't you ask SG for some more Canadian coins for your collection when you see her? I'm sure she'll gladly give them to you, and mock us while she does so. :angry:

:lmao:

Russty Cat said:

I do accents when I'm out with one of my friends. The others threaten to abandon me when I do it around them :shrug:

You and I would really have a blast :heart: :yes:

VintagePunk said:

Why don't you ask SG for some more Canadian coins for your collection when you see her? I'm sure she'll gladly give them to you, and mock us while she does so. :angry:

:lmao:

I like to use my Canadian coins when I'm oot and aboot. You know, listening to Bryan Adams and Celine Dion music and drinking beer, eh!

I mock because I love :giggle: :wink:

Sad_Girl said:

I like to use my Canadian coins when I'm oot and aboot. You know, listening to Bryan Adams and Celine Dion music and drinking beer, eh!

I'm not out and aboot much. Usually I'm in in my igloo watching the hockey game. How bout them Maple Leafs, eh?

Sad_Girl said:

I'll sic the rest of the country on you when you get here. I'll tell them all what you do when you're safe and sound in your own country. :wink:

:lmao: poor VP, she always takes so much abuse.

girls, i'm sleepy, so i'm off to bed. i have a full day tomorrow but i'll try to be here in the late afternoon.

night!
:wave:

Sad_Girl said:

:lol: He plays along with that one; and he can be goofy as hell if he's in the right mood. We used to have a Barney stuffed animal floating around the ambulance base, and we would all move it around, position it, do strange things with it to try and get each other to laugh. Someone once Hung it by the neck from the drop ceiling, and the next day, someone topped that by putting a steak knife through the stitching as if he were murdered.

Mark took a roll of masking tape and made an outline of the body and then he went and got our local homicide detective, brought him back to the base and took pictures of him 'investigating the case' :lmao:

There usually isn't a lot of love and patience between Law Enforcement and EMS, so when Mark hung the photo's up on the EMS directors door, he about soiled his pants. He expected the detective to be pissed off, but it actually opened up the lines of communication between the departments :lol:

:lmao: That is too funny! I love a guy who knows how to get goofy and have fun at the right time! :heart:

Luckily my girlfriends are insane and love to mess aboot. :wink: The whole accent thing started because on one of our trips late one night I got really tired and my southern accent got alot thicker. They started teasing me that they couldn't understand what I was saying and immitating me. So I started doing a really bad valley girl imitation. That parlayed into one of the girls doing a British accent. Way to many goofy women in one car late at night can be very scary. :lol:

Nighty night ruff! :hug:

Hi GG and Snooky! :wave: :hug:

I'm gonna have to go in a minute. :( Mini-cat is not behaving and going to bed like she is supposed to.

Back
Top Bottom