Playing with U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad Eyed Lady

The Fly
I went to the first NY show on 10/24 at MSG with sign in hand. It read "ME + GUITAR = KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR" Then I put the chords to the song under it and then "CHICKS CAN PLAY GUITAR, TOO!" They had previously brought people up to play but only guys. I had tried on my birthday in Chicago and I think (but am not sure) Bono was gonna bring me up but Edge started leaving the main stage to go to the tip of the heart so Bono followed him and then turned, shrugged his shoulders and said "sorry." All for the best, though!

Whenever anyone is brought up to play it has been from the tip of the heart and only during the acoustic set. For the first MSG show, Alice, Khelia and I were right at the tip. During "New Year's Day" I tried to make sure Bono read my sign.

When Bono and Edge came out to the tip for "Angel of Harlem" and the start of the acoustic set, I knew it was the right time. During the song I was pretty much in his face with the sign. I might not have been so forceful but there were a couple other people with similar signs and I wanted mine to be the one he noticed. Toward the end of Angel, when the crowd is singing "Angel, angel of Harlem" over and over, Bono leans down to me and starts asking me if I can really play. He said, "You promise me?" My friends, and everyone else around me, are telling him that I could play. I even made a motion as if I were taking an oath and said, "I swear!" Then he reaches out and takes my hand and signals for me to come onstage! His security guys and the guys in the crowd helped me up. I remember wanting to hug him right away but he was holding my sign so I put my arm around his shoulders instead.

Bono, with my sign in hand, holds it to the crowd and says, "In America, it pays to advertise. There's a young lady here who wants to play guitar. She has a sign. She knows the chords." Then he asked me again, but this time at eye level, if I could really play. I started showing him the chords - like air guitar. He said, "Alright. What's your name?" I told him and he said "what?" This happened like 3 times until I spelled my name for him. I even said, "You know, Ruuuuth - like Bruuuuce." He chuckled and said, "Ruth," into the mic. Then Dallas brings me out an acoustic - one of Edge's. He holds the strap to me like he would for Edge and asks me if I need a pic and then gives me one of Edge's blue ones. I thanked him. Then Bono and Edge and I talked - pretty much Bono directing us where to go. I'm sure throughout the whole time, Bono was saying things to me I don't rememeber. It's a bit of sensory overload (to borrow a term from Khelia), you know?

Then we start walking up one of the heart-cat-walks - the one on Adam's side. It's Edge, then me, then Bono. When we stop, Bono says, "Okay - start the song,"....to me, not Edge! I start and Edge is staring at MY hands to get the pace; THE EDGE is following MY lead - too cool! Bono goes back to the tip of the heart. When me and Edge have it down, he starts walking backwards up the catwalk and I follow him. Every so often he looks up and me and smiles and winks - those big, gorgeous green eyes! Bono started singing and all I remember was that he was making up lyrics - I didn't really process what he was saying, though. I remember wondering if he was coming up behind me or what - I couldn't really tell where he was. When Adam and Larry kicked in, I felt totally part of U2! It was awesome.

When Edge led me down to the stage, there is that steep incline you go down and he signaled for me to watch my step. Adam smiled at me and just seemed to be laughing the whole time. Edge assumed his usual spot onstage and I was between he and Adam. Bono, who had walked up the other heart-cat-walk to get to the stage, came center mic to sing the chorus. I just walked up right next to him to share the mic. It just felt very natural. He turned to the side and we sang together! Looking into those unbelievable blue eyes from just inches away was....I can't find a word for it, actually! As we all know, music is extremely soulful and powerful and when you're singing with someone - especially someone who feels the music that strongly and deeply - it's, uhm, exciting. I remember during one of the choruses, in between lines, Bono just moaned; you know, sang "ummmm" or whatever and I almost lost it! Whew!

Bono did the second verse and we did the chorus. At the end of that chorus, he stepped back and motioned for me to take the mic. He was telling me to sing a verse all on my own. I thought, "Pal, you don't know what you're in for!" The regular version of the song only has two verses but fortunately I had checked out lyrics from when Dylan would add a third verse live so I had memorized one of the options; "Mama, wipe the blood from my face/I'm so sick and tired of these wars/I got a lone black feeling I can't trace/I feel like I'm knockin' on heaven's door". I thought the first two lines were appropriate for what happened - especially in NY - so I sang them. Then it got to the third line and I didn't think it fit for the moment so I just changed it to, "New York City is the best place" and I saw Bono, to my right, lift up his arms and throw his head back with a huge smile on his face. The crowd exploded - sounded like the roar of the ocean - and everyone threw their arms in the air. Then I finished, "And I feel I'm knockin' on heaven's door," and when I stepped back, Bono put a huge kiss right on my lips! We finished the final chorus and when it was over, everyone was still going nuts. I just hugged him and hugged him some more. He took my hand and kissed it. I gave the guitar back, saying to Dallas, "I guess you need this back," and then hugged Bono more! Then he walked me to bow at the front and then he walked me over to the side and down under the stage. Others told me that the whole band was clapping for me.

His bodyguard, John (nicest guy in the world), was hugging me saying, "You did it! You made it up there! I'm so happy for you!" I heard Bono say, "Ruth from New York City," and everyone cheered again. I asked John if I should go back to my spot and he said, "Honey, you can go anywhere you want!" He started bringing me back to the tip but someone from the U2 staff/crew pulled me back to take photos. When he returned me to my spot and put me back in the crowd, he said, "You were the best to come up all tour!"

I don't have many photos yet and none that are really good but here is one. This one is courtesy of a great guy named Jeff. You can see us together and there is another angle of us that's hard to make out just to the left of the bigger one. When I get more, I'll post 'em up for you.

2Q98761.jpg

Wow that is an amazing story. I'm completely lost for words but so pleased for you. Congrats.

*goes back to read story again*

Wow. Congrats again. Sounds like you rocked.
smile.gif

OMG ... I am so jealous (in a good way). That is an amazing story. I sing and would love to make it up on stage and sing with the boys.

------------------
Jessica

"Rock and roll doggie"
--Bono

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

?Never trust a man who tells you it's from the heart, never trust a man smoking a cigar, never trust a cowboy or a man who wears shades.?
--Bono

Girl, I have goosebumps from reading your story!!
biggrin.gif
I am so impressed with your search for a third verse!! If anyone deserved that moment, it was you! I play the guitar left handed so I would have been screwed!
~Honey
------------------
The doors you open
I just can't close...

[This message has been edited by WildHoneyAlways (edited 11-07-2001).]

Oh my gosh!!! WOW!!!!!

I love John's respnse "Honey, you can go anywhere you want!", what a cool guy. A kiss on the lips??!!! Holy mother of Jesus!!! Damn, oh I hope you keep finding pictures, whatta a special moment!!! So so so happy for you, besides you rocked!!!!

Wow, are you any of you girls going to Vegas or LA? You know? So I can hang around with you guys and maybe the luck will rub off.

Oh well gotta run, I'm be grinning like an idiot in my art class with occasional spurts of giggles. Oh well if they only knew.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Wow!!! I'm so happy for you (and a little jealous too)! It's great that you got to play guitar and sing- you were practically part of the band! Amazing.
smile.gif

Oh my gosh Ruth!!! That is such an amazing experience, and an incredible story!!
I mean, you got to be a member of U2 for a few minutes!!! Sheesh, I would have barely been able to speak...let alone sing and play the guitar! I wanna hear the song!
And I hope you get more pics up soon!
Congrats! You rock girl!

I was there that night and saw you play. I have to say that you were absolutely amazing up there. I was so excited and happy for you. You were one of the hightlights of the evening!

[This message has been edited by TwentyNinePalms (edited 11-07-2001).]

OMG Ruth!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your story was well worth the wait!!! Awesome! Amazing! Fantastic! Breathtaking!!!

AND BONO KISSED YOU ON THE LIPS!!!
eek.gif

AND YOU PLAYED WITH EDGE!!!
eek.gif

Congrats....I think you have now lived out the fantasy of millions of U2 fans worldwide.

CHICKS ROCK. YOU ROCK!!!
biggrin.gif

Disco

eek.gif
that's unbelievable!!!! you're so lucky!!!!!!
*goes right away to take a guitar class*

It's a wonderful story!!! I cant wait to see other pics!!!!

------------------
"The goal is elevation"
"Midnight is when the day begins"

What a WONDERFUL experience.....
That story makes me love the guys even more...if that's possible !!!

They are so damn cool to us !!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

SadEyedLady....you lived a dream......I don't even know how you can put it into words !!!
I actually got goosebumps.....
Girl power.....sounds like you had MSG in the palm of your hand....and Bono too !!
wink.gif

that is such an amazing story...thank you so much for sharing it with us! yay! i'm so happy for you! i'm so glad a girl got up there!
does anyone know if this show is up anywhere? i would love to hear this!

You. Fecking. Go. GIRL!

He musta subliminally known you were a Bruce fan. So as a sista in U2 and Rev. Springsteen...You. Fecking. Go. Girl. (As I think I mentioned.
smile.gif
)

I'm so please and so jealous I could die *sigh*

SD

Wow...congrats! LOL! That is sooooo cool!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dana

"AHH...this is civics in action!"
--Mr. Campbell and me at a U2 concert, 6/21/01

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

Wow!!!!!!!! That story is so kewwwwwl
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
You're so lucky to sing and play with U2, I bet you felt like a rockstar hehe
biggrin.gif
*hugs*

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
www.angelfire.com/tx2/KITIYU2

Question from Caller:we want to know how he's maintained his youthful looks. we think he looks so much younger than the rest of the band

Larry:let me put it this way. Michael Jackson got the idea of the oxygen tent from me. and all this hanging out with monkeys and shit like that, it's all to do with that.

D&C: That's a funny story. How come you've managed to slow down the aging process?

LM: That's a good question. I think it's the healthy living. I do all the right things. It's all the creams. I don't know maybe it's in my Levi's.

Congrats again, Ruth! And I'm telling you guys, you should have HEARD this woman....she sounded like a total pro, whereas my elegant self would have just puked the whole time. Great job, Ruth! Thanks for sharing your story....

Many congrats Ruth, I really am blown away. I just don't understand how you were not only able to play the guitar, but had the presence of mind to make up your own lyrics!!! How is this possible?!?

Also, you told this story in a very interesting and non braggy way, thus making it a lot easier on us jealous types!
biggrin.gif

I am truly happy for you.
smile.gif

Ruth, I am so happy for you. I can't believe you got to have such an awesome experience with the band, and you completely deserved it. John is such a cool guy too! Thank you for sharing this with everyone -- I can't get over it. Can't even imagine how you must have felt -- I wish I'd been there to see it!

------------------
"Those U2 songs, they seem to have a lot of big feelings in them."
--Bono, Details interview

"He...never...shuts...up."
--Sheila Roche, on Bono

"don't let go, you've got the music in you..."

OMG, what a great advanture you had!! It does indeed pay to advertise and you did a great job!! I can just imagine the feelings, emotions, and the surrealness of the whole thing!!! Anyway congrats girl!!

WTG Ruth!!! That's just so awesome, like someone else said you got to live the dream that so many of us have had!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

WOW!!! I think I read about you on U2.com (I cannot remember which site)...I do remember thinking that it was awesome that Bono brought a woman on stage to play and wishing I had some musical talent. Your story is fantastic...and to top it off you got a kiss from Bono on the LIPS!? Holy Cow, I think I would have fainted and fallen right off of the heart!
biggrin.gif

such an amazing story!
And the fact that you're a girl is another great thing ... after all these guys they've brought up and when they finally bring up a girl, she proves to be the best guitar player they've brought up so far! GRrRl POwEr!!
smile.gif

WOW!! what a great story!! Congrats!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'listen as hope and peace try to rhyme' -*POP*

"You changed me--and I thank you for that." -Bono 11/5/01

WWJND?

WOW!!! Congrats Ruth! You definitely need to post some pics of you with the band when you have some.
I picked up Daily news the next day and on the 26th I found a short blurb saying that U2 picked a woman onstage to play with them and I said to myself OMG they mentioned Ruth. You've inspired me to learn to play the guitar...now I just have to buy one. A big plus must have been getting a kiss from Bono...Awesome...so happy for you!

Wow Ruth....Although you had told me the story that very night (while you girls were changing places to line up at MSG), it was great to re-read it!!!!

So very happy for you lots! you deserve it!
smile.gif

Hello Ruth! I was there on 10/24 in the heart, 3rd row from center stage. In fact, I even have a picture of you on the main stage. I thought you were great and I remember the roar of the crowd when you sung those lyrics. It was a magical night.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom