Pics taken by anton corbijn... please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2granny said:
0af23a01.jpg

hi, it seems you have pretty much all of the photographs of the corbijn book ; do you have the one on page 315 and can you please post it here ?
that would mean a lot to me !!
please ...

oct_31st said:
u2granny said:
0af23a01.jpg

hi, it seems you have pretty much all of the photographs of the corbijn book ; do you have the one on page 315 and can you please post it here ?
that would mean a lot to me !!
please ...

Check u2takemehigher. Kelly and I scanned the whole book and uploaded most of them there. I don't have time to dig out the book right now.

Granny

Y'know, when I look at pix of the guys when they were young, y'know, Baby U2 I always ask myself the same question: Why weren't there any blokes like them at my school?

Ack...:tsk: :tsk: Still, I guess I should console myself with the fact that had they been at my school, they'd been surrounded by hoards of beautiuful girls - you know the type - the ones who ALWAYS got the blokes and left us lesser mortals glumly standing in the shade. Nah, on second thoughts, perhaps I saved myself a lot of heartache..lol...

youvedonewhat said:
Y'know, when I look at pix of the guys when they were young, y'know, Baby U2 I always ask myself the same question: Why weren't there any blokes like them at my school?

Ack...:tsk: :tsk: Still, I guess I should console myself with the fact that had they been at my school, they'd been surrounded by hoards of beautiuful girls - you know the type - the ones who ALWAYS got the blokes and left us lesser mortals glumly standing in the shade. Nah, on second thoughts, perhaps I saved myself a lot of heartache..lol...

Something tells me that they are these guys were the kid of gem that no-one discovered :shifty:, only smart girls with some taste, that is to say, us :D So we wouldn't have been that unlucky, at least to have them as friends... or not :drool: :wink:

u2forlife said:
Did Chris Blackwell pass on? I'm pretty sure he's still living.

Oh well, props to Chris :up: I think Bono should come to Jamaica more :wink:

I don't see where I said that Chris had passed on.

Since he signed U2 to Island Records twenty-five years ago and is no longer the head of Island records, I referred to his historic working relationship to U2 in past terms which I think is appropriate.

And since I have a special place in my heart for Jamaica too, I would love to see Bono and U2 in JA more often.

Here is some more on Chris Blackwell:

http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=1148

Inductee: Chris Blackwell (born June 22, 1937)

Chris Blackwell is the founder of Island Records and the single person most responsible for turning the world on to reggae music. He was born in London but largely grew up in Jamaica, where his mother had ancestral roots. With an initial investment of $1,000, he formed a record label in 1959, calling it Island (after the novel Island in the Sun). Island debuted with a jazz album by Bermudan pianist Lance Haywood. In 1960, Blackwell began recording Jamaican popular music and scored a #1 hit on the island with Laurel Aitken's "Little Sheila." By 1962, the budding young record producer had issued two albums and 26 singles on his Island imprint. Blackwell formally incorporated Island Records that year, returning to England to oversee the business. He started having success in Britain with the niche market of Jamaican music.

His first major hit, which he licensed to the larger Phillips label, was "My Boy, Lollipop," by Jamaican teenager Millie Small. He next signed the Spencer Davis Group, featuring singer Stevie Winwood, again licensing them to Phillips. After their breakup, Winwood formed an innovative new group, Traffic, which became Island's first rock band. Moving from ethnic music to rock, Blackwell signed a spate of influential British groups to Island, including Free, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Robert Palmer, Cat Stevens and Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Blackwell returned to Jamaican music in the early Seventies, placing Jimmy Cliff, whom he managed, in lead role in the classic film The Harder They Come and signing Bob Marley to Island in 1971. Marley had already recorded for Jamaican labels, but Blackwell helped make a worldwide superstar of the reggae’s greatest talent. Bob Marley and the Wailers debuted on Island with Catch a Fire. He remained on Island till his death from cancer in 1981, recording such classics as Nasty Dread and Rastaman Vibration and developing a trusting friendship with Blackwell. During the Seventies, Island also signed such reggae masters as Toots and the Maytals, Third World, Black Uhuru, Burning Spear, and Sly & Robbie. Blackwell kept his hand on the progressive pulse of rock, too. Such far-reaching artists as Roxy Music, Brian Eno, John Cale, Kevin Ayers, Nico, Marianne Faithfull, and Richard and Linda Thompson have been among those on Island's impressive artist roster. The label’s knack for ferreting out new talent and trends extended into the punk and New Wave era as well. In 1980, Island made one of its most significant finds with the signing of Irish rockers U2. Blackwell also brought the Cranberries, Melissa Etheridge and Tom Waits to Island. He also explored world music on Mango, an Island subsidiary, with such artists as African bandleader King Sunny Ade.

The secret of Island's success resided with Blackwell's keen eye for talent and insistence on quality control, which has meant keeping the label at a size he can manage. "The bigger labels are supermarkets," he opined. "I like to think of Island as a very classy delicatessen."

Blackwell sold his stake in Island in 1989 and resigned from the company in 1997. In the late Nineties he merged his Palm Pictures film company with Rykodisc to form a new entity, RykoPalm.

------------------------------------------------------

June 22, 1937
Chris Blackwell is born.

December 30, 1971
Bob Marley visits Island Records’ head Chris Blackwell at his London office. The resulting association will make a superstar of Marley and establish Island as THE reggae label.

:bow:

I am not sure this was made by Anton, but it's quite his style...

Attachments

• subway.jpg
    subway.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 32
Galeongirl said:

No idea, but she sure is enjoying it ;)anybody know the story behind this pic? (was it for the AB sleeve?)

She was Anton's girlfriend at the time (and I think U2's makeup artist). Her name is Nassim? I'm not sure I spelled that correctly :reject:.

I don't know if was for the AB sleeve, but it was for an AB photo session.

Back
Top Bottom