Piano question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youvedonewhat

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
:wave: Hi peeps.

I have a question. Does anyone play the piano cos I'm confused...:reject:

I'm just beginning to teach myself to play (I started last week). I can't read music either so I've got some books which will teach me both at the same time. I've been getting along quite well. I can even recognise some of the tunes I'm learning to play..:yippie:

Ok, my question is this: Which finger do you use to to play G (left hand) and F (right hand). My books say 4th finger on each hand and yet someone told me I had to cross the thumb under the 4th finger to play these keys.

Can anyone help me w/this? (Does it make sense? :yikes: ).

I think I should stick with writing...:lol:

:lol:

i dont play piano [im trying to teach myself though] but i play guitar and i basically use what fingers im comfortable with...

that probably doesnt help at all haha

I know nothing "technical", and my lessons were 30+ years ago :reject: (yes, we still have a piano in the house), but 4th finger (ring finger on left if that makes more sense) sounds right. Then again, depending on the song, you do what feels right.

Should I dig out my U2 & Beatles piano books :hmm:

Yeah, it kinda depends on the song and your hands. My left ring finger isn't very strong so I usually cross over and use my thumb (going down in the scale). On my right... well, now, I actually cross over and use the thumb on my right too. But that's just for scales.

Once you get into playing more complex music, it really depends on where the piece is going and which fingers you need to get there. Some scores will actually put a little "3" or "4" to tell you which to use so you can play the next measure.

Hope that helped.

Lila64 said:
I know nothing "technical", and my lessons were 30+ years ago :reject: (yes, we still have a piano in the house), but 4th finger (ring finger on left if that makes more sense) sounds right. Then again, depending on the song, you do what feels right.

Should I dig out my U2 & Beatles piano books :hmm:

Thanks. It does seem to make more sense although I'm told 'finger crossing' is something to do w/the octave and that we've only got 5 fingers yet there's 8 notes so you 'hop the octave' or something like that..:crazy:

Funny you mentioning U2 & Beatles song books. I've told Mr YDW that when I've finally learned he can buy me the sheet music books to the Beatles and U2..:drool: I'd love to be able to play something 'modern' instead of all the old crap in my music books...:wink:

:shifty: well I know a guy that could teach you piano YDW...

:whistle:

as Edgeistoosexy said(coincidence we both play guitar? :lol: ) I think it's the best to use what you're comfortable with.. some people have really big hands and can easily reach keys while others can't... so it really depends on the size of your hand :)

Galeongirl said:
:shifty: well I know a guy that could teach you piano YDW...

:whistle:

as Edgeistoosexy said(coincidence we both play guitar? :lol: ) I think it's the best to use what you're comfortable with.. some people have really big hands and can easily reach keys while others can't... so it really depends on the size of your hand :)

You're right, of course, Gg but I really need to know for definate. I don't want to learn and then find out I've got it wrong....ack...

And Mr YDW won't let me practice tonight as the piano is in the same room as his pc and he's fed up of all my plink plonking and swearing..:angel:

...fanfic then methinks..

well I don't think there's a wrong or right in music... if you play fantastically but don't play like most people do, then should you play 'normally' because you play differentlY? I think not...

I play guitar a very weird way too, but as long as it sounds good I'm ok... I need lessons on the basics still tho, so who knows it might be fixed someday, but sofar I've been told that it doesn't matter and if I can't play with my fingers I can use a pick... so it's not the most important thing there is :)

Back
Top Bottom