Photoshop 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
:scream: I have Photoshop 7 thanks to my cousin who has a graphics business. The only problem is she said she has zero time to help me learn the program so I'm on my own. I'm taking a Photoshop 7 class at a technical school but the instructor is going way too fast for me :( She's assuming everyone in the class is familiar with this kind of stuff and I'm not. :confused:

All I really want to know how to do is make gifs and remove watermarks from pictures. I've tried both and I just don't get it.

So can someone SLOWLY explain to me the basics of doing that? I've looked in my student guide I have plus PS7 help and it's too confusing.

Hey, arw, I have Photoshop 7 too, and I just reformatted my computer, and of course as usual one or more of my software backup discs is corrupt. I'm missing ONE file, but it's kinda big. So would you, or anyone else out there, ever have time to IM it to me?

I just upgraded to PS 7 last night! :hyper: I haven't had time to plan around with it yet, but I'm pretty good with PS 6. :)

I don't use PS to make my gifs... I use an animation program for that, but I usually prep the pics in PS.

I usually use the clone tool to slowly and carefully alter the pic so the watermark isn't very noticable, but it can be really time consuming... there's no fast and super easy way to remove them that I know of. :sigh:

But anyhoo, you guys can ask questions and I'll try to answer what I can :shrug: but there might be others who are more skilled at watermark removal than I am.

Yeah Sicy told me to use the clone tool but I haven't figured it out yet. :sad: The pictures that I've tried just look horrible afterwards.

I'm completely lost on the whole gif process. I don't get it and it's probably not as complicated as I'm making......

For gifs, I use both photoshop 7 and image ready. Image ready should come with Photoshop.

Basically I get the pictures I want to use for the gif and I resize them all the same size. Then I copy and paste all the pics onto just one of the pics and save that file as a psd file. Then I open it back up again in photoshop and click the button at the very bottom of the tool bar (the one on the left side) and it will open Image Ready and put the gif there. From there you have the option to make layers, it will put the file in the middle of the screen and also at the bottom in another box. Theres a button on that box where you can make more layers. Click to add as many layers as pictures you have on that one file. From there you can set the time the pics flash, by right clicking underneath each pic and change it to the desired time, like .5 seconds, or 1.0 seconds, etc.

Once all that is done, you save the file "optimized as" a gif and name it.

The Watermarks.. its tedious.. very tedious. I use the zoom tool to zoom in on the spot I want to work on, then I use the clone stamp with the right size brush, to remove the watermarks. It really just takes time, practice and patience!

That' probly didnt help you much because its hard to explain but I hope at least it can help you fiddle around.

Thank you! That's way more helpful than what my book says....which is nothing! I'll give them both a try and if I end up doing anything right I'll post what I made :D

Sicy said:
The Watermarks.. its tedious.. very tedious. I use the zoom tool to zoom in on the spot I want to work on, then I use the clone stamp with the right size brush, to remove the watermarks. It really just takes time, practice and patience!

:yes:

Time, practice and patience, indeed.

I don't have PS7. I use Paint Shop Pro 8, aka the poor man's Photoshop. ;)

Sicy gave some good advice :yes: I always try to use the smallest brush possible when doing watermarks (and I zoom in too...sometimes my eyes can go goofy from looking at all those pixels for too long but :lol: ) Using a small brush takes forever, but I think you have more control over what you want to clone and the result is better.

I use Jasc's Animation Shop for my gifs. It sounds very similar to what Sicy does with Image Ready, but Animation Shop basically does everything for you... you can even crop the images and resize them while working in the program rather than going back to and resizing in PS. Animation Shop comes with Paint Shop Pro. I have so many graphic programs... I'm such a geek! :reject:

I haven't touched Image Ready yet :scratch: I just installed it with my PS 7 upgrade and haven't had time to play with it yet. But i love new graphic stuff! :hyper:

Oh one more thing I forgot.. when you have the file open in Image Ready and you have made the layers, you need to click on the little eyeballs on the right hand side to show or hide each picture, so that you can get all of the different pictures in a row.. if that makes sense :laugh: It might once you start working on it ...

btw I just went through that Halloween PS thread and I was seriously LMAO :lol: Nice work guys :applaud:

I'm working on a gif but I got a little lost......I've opened up image ready and the pictures are in the middle of the screen. You also said they would be at the bottom. I have it on the left side at the bottom and it says "animation" then I have each picture in a layer already on the right side....that also came up when I opened image ready, I didn't put them there. So what do I do from there? Also where do I right click for the time?

:confused:

Last edited:
Sicy said:
Oh one more thing I forgot.. when you have the file open in Image Ready and you have made the layers, you need to click on the little eyeballs on the right hand side to show or hide each picture, so that you can get all of the different pictures in a row.. if that makes sense :laugh: It might once you start working on it ...

ok this part confuses me. show or hide each picture?

nevermind about the above. I think I've figured all of that out but I have another question.......

I'm not even sure where to begin and it's past my bedtime :yawn: so I'll be back tomorrow night :yes: :D

lol I'm sorry.. its hard to explain :huh:

Basically when it opens in Image ready, this is what it looks like.

So you have to click a button on the bottom of the 'animation' box (red arrow) to make as many layers as you have pictures. (see where the pop up box is that says "duplicates current frame") thats where you click.

You can see how many layers (pictures) you have over there on the right hand side..

If you see where it says 0 seconds, under each picture in the animation box.. you right click on that and you can change the time.. so that is the time that each pictures stays flashed on the screen when you have your completed gif.

Attachments

• imageready1.jpg
    imageready1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 49
arw9797 said:
ok this part confuses me. show or hide each picture?

Once you make the frames (layers, whatever) , it will duplicate the first picture, however many frames you make.. therefore to get each different picture to show, you click the "indicates layer visibility" (see arrow) they look like black eyes, if you click one away you can see now in the animation box that the second picture of Bono is a different one. That's because I unclicked the 'eyeball' to hide the first picture..

Attachments

• imageready2.jpg
    imageready2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 45
:coocoo: I guess this is more important than sleeping because I'm still here......

ok in bottom left corner...the animation part. That's where my confusion comes from.

I had 4 pictures I was working with but the first box was empty so that was layer 1. Then I had the actual pictures in layers 2-5. Then each picture was in a different spot on the layer. Picture 2 was in the top corner on the left, 3 was in the top right corner and then 4 & 5 were on the bottom corners....did that make any sense? So it was like a big box with a tiny picture in each corner.

I saved it all and viewed and it moved but each picture flashed in a the corner that it was in on the layer.

Then.....once I save it, were the hell does it go? I have other gifs saved on my computer but I couldn't find that one. :reject:

I paid $300.00 for a class that confuses the hell out of me so much that I have to come to Interference for help :mad:

arw9797 said:
I had 4 pictures I was working with but the first box was empty so that was layer 1. Then I had the actual pictures in layers 2-5.

Ok for this just delete the empty layer by right clicking on it and choosing delete layer.

Then each picture was in a different spot on the layer. Picture 2 was in the top corner on the left, 3 was in the top right corner and then 4 & 5 were on the bottom corners....did that make any sense? So it was like a big box with a tiny picture in each corner.

This.. I do not get :crazy:

Can you post a pic? I dont understand how the pictures are in 'corners' ?

Then.....once I save it, were the hell does it go? I have other gifs saved on my computer but I couldn't find that one. :reject:

Just do save optimized as.. a gif. Save it to your desktop so you dont lose it.

arw9797 said:

I paid $300.00 for a class that confuses the hell out of me so much that I have to come to Interference for help :mad:

That's a bummer. :( Where are you taking them at?

I took my Photoshop classes (which were very small in size) from a guy who was super nice, gave everyone individualized attention AND he was pretty darned cute. :tongue: He doesn't teach the classes any longer though, but he still e-mails me occasionally :sexywink:

erised said:

That's a bummer. :( Where are you taking them at?

I'm taking a Photoshop class at a technical school. The instructor is filling in for someone who decided they couldn't teach the class at the last minute. I'm not sure how long she's taught but she also works with PS for her job so I think she thinks this is a refresher course but it's not.

I emailed her a few weeks ago to tell her she's going to fast and there's a lot of us that are really confused. I also told her I've had more stress in the class, that I'm taking for fun, than the whole time I was in college getting an actual degree. She said she wasn't aware that she was going to fast but she hasn't changed her ways. I think this will be the only class I take at this school. I might see if the Univerisity that I graduated from is offering any classes..........

anyways I'm off to figure out my little problem from last night.

:hmm: Didn't you say you had a CompUSA near you? They offer classes in Photoshop, at least in my area they do. :yes: I took a bunch of classes from them and I was satisfied.

arw9797 said:

I'm taking a Photoshop class at a technical school. The instructor is filling in for someone who decided they couldn't teach the class at the last minute. I'm not sure how long she's taught but she also works with PS for her job so I think she thinks this is a refresher course but it's not.

I emailed her a few weeks ago to tell her she's going to fast and there's a lot of us that are really confused. I also told her I've had more stress in the class, that I'm taking for fun, than the whole time I was in college getting an actual degree. She said she wasn't aware that she was going to fast but she hasn't changed her ways. I think this will be the only class I take at this school. I might see if the Univerisity that I graduated from is offering any classes..........

anyways I'm off to figure out my little problem from last night.

Woah :crazy:

Can you crop the pictures to get rid of the rest of the space? :confused: That's what it looks like to me.

Sicy said:
Woah :crazy:

Can you crop the pictures to get rid of the rest of the space? :confused: That's what it looks like to me.

:eyebrow: how do I do that?

maybe I'm doing something wrong before I go into Image Ready. After I pick out the pictures I want and resize them.....what do I do?

You resize all the pictures first in Photoshop.. make a new file first, say 60x60, then take the picture you want and copy and paste it onto the new 60x60 file.. then do a ctrl + T to bring up the sizer, and size it while holding the shift key down until it fits perfectly in that 60x60 box. Save it as a jpeg. Do this with all the pics, then copy and paste them all onto one file. Save that file as a psd file then re open it and click the image ready button in photoshop where I told you and it will open the file in image ready with all the pics the same size.. then go from there.

Sicy said:
You resize all the pictures first in Photoshop.. make a new file first, say 60x60, then take the picture you want and copy and paste it onto the new 60x60 file.. then do a ctrl + T to bring up the sizer, and size it while holding the shift key down until it fits perfectly in that 60x60 box. Save it as a jpeg. Do this with all the pics, then copy and paste them all onto one file. Save that file as a psd file then re open it and click the image ready button in photoshop where I told you and it will open the file in image ready with all the pics the same size.. then go from there.

ok that all makes sense but the only part I don't get is when I'm still in photoshop and I got to copy and paste on a new file, what should that look like? Should all of the pictures I pick out fill up the entire new file?

I'll eventually get this.....

We have a new system at work and training started today. I was the only person who didn't get it :| Everyone just looked at me like what's there not to understand? I'm not very computer literate and this all proves it. :(

:shifty: that little box on the bottom left hand side of the screen in image ready that says "animation".....how the hell do I get that back? I clicked the red x by mistake and now I can't find it again.

:scream: I don't get it! :reject:

Sicy can't you just come to Minnesota for the weekend and teach me all about Photoshop?

I'm not giving up until Edge is moving on my screen! :mad:

:lol: God it would be so much easier if I could show you in person! You'd get it in like 10 minutes I swear :crack:

Ok, in Photoshop, once you copy and paste all the files (of exactly the same size) onto one file, it will simply look like the last picture you pasted there. Just save it as a psd when you're done and re-open it.. click to get to image ready.

The animation box should pop back up when you switch over.. otherwise I think you can get to it by going to Window --> then click Animation.

YAY!!!!!!! *phew* *wipes brow* :faint:

Um.. you want to just post it? You can attach it if its under 100k.

Back
Top Bottom