PGP: When I think about U2, I swoon myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was a special snowflake, that's for sure! :lol: What's your story? :)

It started off with this girl coming into my store asking about a section for African-American books. She was looking for this woman whom she stressed doesn't work with Dr. Phil, but is sort of in the same vein as he is, with the self-help stuff. She was surprised when I told her we didn't really have an African-American section (we're a small chain, not like a Barnes & Noble type deal), but I did look up the author she was looking for to see if we did have any of those books. I couldn't find any, though, and she seemed kinda annoyed by that. However, she decided to wander around the store for a bit anyway. Fine. Sometimes she'd seem friendly, sometimes she seemed irritated.

But eventually she finds some stuff and goes to check out. I'm off in another area near the counter, cleaning a shelf, and I hear her yell some sort of random joke that I didn't get, and I think she was yelling it to me, I'm not sure. But she looks over at me and laughs, and I just smile, I honestly don't know what to respond with.

So she buys her stuff and leaves. I'm back up at the counter. Our phone rings. I answer, and she's the one calling-it's not even been 5 minutes since she left our store. She's out in the main area of the mall, asking if I'd seen a woman come through with a baby in a stroller. Well, it's a Saturday, there's tons of women like that roaming around, I'm not entirely sure who she's referring to.

I respond with, "No...", and then she starts in saying something like, "Well, if you see her, tell her that I saw her baby's foot in its mouth and I'm going to think of that every time (at this point she went off about some random event that I have no clue as to what the hell she's talking about) and I'm going to laugh every time."

I just said, "Oh. Okay." Then she hung up. I never did see the alleged woman with the baby she was talking about, either.

This is par for the course some days at my store, though. We get some of the strangest customers in sometimes. I had a guy come in a month or two ago looking for Beatles calendars, 'cause he collects them and he swears we've sold them there before. He had a strong whiff of colonge on him and, I swear to God, was dressed up like an Elvis impersonator. And then there was a Ron Paul supporter a few weeks back who was dressed sorta Uncle-Sam-ish, top hat and coat with the stars and stripes, Ron Paul button, Tea Party T-shirt on, the works. So yeah.

I'm packing for going back to Baltimore...I MISS YOU ALREADY, CALIFORNIA...:sad:

Very happy that there's a Larryspam at the beginning of the thread! :heart:

It started off with this girl coming into my store asking about a section for African-American books. She was looking for this woman whom she stressed doesn't work with Dr. Phil, but is sort of in the same vein as he is, with the self-help stuff. She was surprised when I told her we didn't really have an African-American section (we're a small chain, not like a Barnes & Noble type deal), but I did look up the author she was looking for to see if we did have any of those books. I couldn't find any, though, and she seemed kinda annoyed by that. However, she decided to wander around the store for a bit anyway. Fine. Sometimes she'd seem friendly, sometimes she seemed irritated.

But eventually she finds some stuff and goes to check out. I'm off in another area near the counter, cleaning a shelf, and I hear her yell some sort of random joke that I didn't get, and I think she was yelling it to me, I'm not sure. But she looks over at me and laughs, and I just smile, I honestly don't know what to respond with.

So she buys her stuff and leaves. I'm back up at the counter. Our phone rings. I answer, and she's the one calling-it's not even been 5 minutes since she left our store. She's out in the main area of the mall, asking if I'd seen a woman come through with a baby in a stroller. Well, it's a Saturday, there's tons of women like that roaming around, I'm not entirely sure who she's referring to.

I respond with, "No...", and then she starts in saying something like, "Well, if you see her, tell her that I saw her baby's foot in its mouth and I'm going to think of that every time (at this point she went off about some random event that I have no clue as to what the hell she's talking about) and I'm going to laugh every time."

I just said, "Oh. Okay." Then she hung up. I never did see the alleged woman with the baby she was talking about, either.

This is par for the course some days at my store, though. We get some of the strangest customers in sometimes. I had a guy come in a month or two ago looking for Beatles calendars, 'cause he collects them and he swears we've sold them there before. He had a strong whiff of colonge on him and, I swear to God, was dressed up like an Elvis impersonator. And then there was a Ron Paul supporter a few weeks back who was dressed sorta Uncle-Sam-ish, top hat and coat with the stars and stripes, Ron Paul button, Tea Party T-shirt on, the works. So yeah.

People are crazy! :lol: :tsk:

Yeah, I've heard about people doing things like that. Pretty disgusting. :yuck:

Ooh, hey, Kristin, I saw you mention in the last thread you were coming to Minneapolis! If ever you find yourself out that way again, we should make plans to meet and hang out or something, 'cause I live just a little over 2, close to 3 hours south/southwest-ish of there.

People are crazy! :lol: :tsk:

That they are. Retail work...you gotta love it (not really).

Ooh, hey, Kristin, I saw you mention in the last thread you were coming to Minneapolis! If ever you find yourself out that way again, we should make plans to meet and hang out or something, 'cause I live just a little over 2, close to 3 hours south/southwest-ish of there.

That they are. Retail work...you gotta love it (not really).

That would be cool :up: I'm here to see Brad Paisley in concert tomorrow night. Did you make it to the Minneapolis U2 show this past July?

That would be cool :up: I'm here to see Brad Paisley in concert tomorrow night.

Ooh, fun! I'm not all that familiar with the guy's music, but I've heard he puts on good shows, so have a good time!

Did you make it to the Minneapolis U2 show this past July?

No :(. Things never wound up working out with that whole deal. Next time 'round, that will change. This I vow.

Do you like Coldplay at all? 'Cause they're supposed to be in St. Paul in August...I'd like to go to that show.

Ooh, fun! I'm not all that familiar with the guy's music, but I've heard he puts on good shows, so have a good time!

No :(. Things never wound up working out with that whole deal. Next time 'round, that will change. This I vow.

Do you like Coldplay at all? 'Cause they're supposed to be in St. Paul in August...I'd like to go to that show.

Aww that's too bad. It was an awesome show! Next tour you should definitely try to make it to Minneapolis for a U2 show.

Yep, I love Coldplay. Amy (Ryancoke71) and I are going to see them in Toronto this summer :hyper: I was considering going to the Minneapolis Coldplay show but it's gonna cost me too much money. I'm not sure if there's any tickets left for that one because they sold out for the shows pretty fast.

It's funny, I love the show "Frasier", but I know if I worked in a cafe and had to deal with nitpickers such as Frasier and Niles, I'd probably want to smack them in the head :p. A record store would actually be fun, I'd kinda like to work at some independent store or something. But I've no doubt it's got its pain in the butt moments, too.

I can only imagine what Macy's must've been like to work at, Thora. But hey, as long as it helps pay the bills...

Aww that's too bad. It was an awesome show! Next tour you should definitely try to make it to Minneapolis for a U2 show.

Will do.

Yep, I love Coldplay. Amy (Ryancoke71) and I are going to see them in Toronto this summer :hyper: I was considering going to the Minneapolis Coldplay show but it's gonna cost me too much money. I'm not sure if there's any tickets left for that one because they sold out for the shows pretty fast.

Ah, okay. That's cool, Toronto would be good, too. So far I haven't seen any "sold out" listings for either that show or the Chicago one. I would've gotten my ticket sooner, but I'm kinda waiting to see which one these friends of mine would like to go see, and see if we can try and get some seats together.

Ah, okay. That's cool, Toronto would be good, too. So far I haven't seen any "sold out" listings for either that show or the Chicago one. I would've gotten my ticket sooner, but I'm kinda waiting to see which one these friends of mine would like to go see, and see if we can try and get some seats together.

Well I hope it works out for ya :hug:

I managed an outdoor gift store at Sea World many moons ago and I totally rocked it. :dance: I was so awesome, a group of Sea World retail big wigs came to San Diego and (to my complete surprise) came to my store "because they wanted to meet the person who had the biggest store sales turn around in their history" when I took over the store. :ohmy::lol: They wanted to talk to me about what I had done to make the sales blow out every other previous record. They couldn't believe me when I told them it was mostly because when I got there I CLEANED the store and area, sent all the CRAP back that they were trying to sell and ordered nice stuff people actually want to buy. Because yes, everyone wants to buy a totally sun faded sweatshirt with dried seagull shit on it. :doh: I also stocked sunscreen and candybars and kept them in the shade, not in the sun where they were melted and gross. :wink: Yes i am a GENYUS! :lol::der:

That was a long time ago though, I don't think I could handle retail anymore. I don't want to have to be nice anymore. :p

Oh I'm coming, no doubt. :hyper: And it will be just me, so if I can crash somewhere for the night I'll pitch in for the room. And I will make my strawberry margaritas if anyone is interested, and bring any videos that might be needed. :shifty:
Sadly this crop of avocados will probably be all finished by March. :sigh:

:hyper: AWESOME! And yes, you can totally stay. I think a couple others are planning to spend the night too. Slumber party, ftw!:up:

OMG that sounds like heaven, Thora! :drool:

Zooey is planning a St Patricks weekend in California. We're going to get a room at the place we all stayed for the Anaheim shows (in the stadium parking lot practically) and just have a big ol' U2 slumber party. :drool:
(U2 have been invited, we're pretty sure they'll show up. :shifty: )

this.

I'm packing for going back to Baltimore...I MISS YOU ALREADY, CALIFORNIA...:sad:

Very happy that there's a Larryspam at the beginning of the thread! :heart:

you're welcome. And you will be added to the list of LarryGirls :hi5:

I did retail and food service. I've worked in a record store and managed cafes. I do not miss those days.

Yeah, being nice to people is for the birds!
I waited tables at Red Robin and worked at The Nature Company in the mall. But my favorite McJob was working at an independent video store just off of the university campus. I met some really cool people that way.

:hi5: Comet. If only we had more people like you running places.

I don't think I could handle retail anymore. I don't want to have to be nice anymore. :p

I hear that. I'm too polite for my own good sometimes, right towards the end of the Christmas rush there were days where, if I'd had the nerve, some customers would've really heard what was on my mind...

There's a book called "The Customer is NOT Always Right" by A.J. Adams. If anyone here finds it, I strongly urge you to read it. It's one of the most hilarious books I've ever read, and it's a pretty quick read, too. Basically just a compilation of stories of customers from hell, including a really messed up woman who tried to return a used toothbrush, with a very bizarre reason as to why.

It was actually fun while I was there. My store was next to the dolphin lagoon with a view of the bay. I really loved working there at the time. And most people on vacation are actually pretty nice and having a good time, though you do get your weirdos of course.

I remember once I'd just sold a bag of M&Ms to a very little kid. As he left the store, he accidentally dumped them all over the ground. I offered him another bag but the mother said NO, he doesn't deserve them if he can't even hold on to them without spilling them. The poor kid looked so sad. :( As they were walking away, the mom was walking ahead and paying no attention, so I ran over real quick and snuck him a bag and said :shh: :D

No, someone else has taken over. The rate the song threads are interesting.

I have to leave my records behind :grumpy: the cool ones, rather. And I know for certain I won't get to play them when I'm back home for the summer because of the sheer amount my parents complain...

Oh. I shall stay away then. As long as crazy doesn't come in here....

oh, GOD, could you imagine :no:

I have to leave my records behind :grumpy: the cool ones, rather. And I know for certain I won't get to play them when I'm back home for the summer because of the sheer amount my parents complain...

That's why god invented headphones.

That sucks, Katie. It'd drive me nuts if I went on a trip and couldn't take some of my favorite music with me.

It was actually fun while I was there. My store was next to the dolphin lagoon with a view of the bay. I really loved working there at the time. And most people on vacation are actually pretty nice and having a good time, though you do get your weirdos of course.

Oh, nice, I bet that view would've been awesome, definitely. That's true, too-vacationers can be much more pleasant, 'cause, well, it's fun time :D.

I remember once I'd just sold a bag of M&Ms to a very little kid. As he left the store, he accidentally dumped them all over the ground. I offered him another bag but the mother said NO, he doesn't deserve them if he can't even hold on to them without spilling them. The poor kid looked so sad. :( As they were walking away, the mom was walking ahead and paying no attention, so I ran over real quick and snuck him a bag and said :shh: :D

Awwwww, poor kid.

I would've done the same thing :yes:.

I'm torn between being intrigued by and wanting to avoid "the crazy" everyone's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom