PGP: We're Hatching Some Plots & Scheming Some Schemes To Meet POur U2 Boys On Tour!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need some advice. I'm so confused about school right now.

So as of now I've completed two years in my political science degree. It's not something I'm 100% interested in but I took it anyway.

I've always had a desire in the back of my mind though to do a Travel/Tourism diploma. It's a two year college course. Of course the usual stereotype of getting a university degree has been drilled into my head since I was little.

Lately though I've really been considering switching to the college diploma. It's something I can really see myself enjoying. I know it's less pay and I would have basically wasted my two years (and money) from university. But I'm feeling like I really need to do what I feel is right.
I'm always researching jobs in that field and they seem like they're right up my ally.

I'm just so confused right now, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ps, I'd still have to pay back my 12,000 that I owe to my university. That's why it's such a hard choice for me. I feel like if I do drop out and go to college for the Travel/Tourism then I would have wasted all the money that I still have to pay back.

That's tough. At first, I'd say "follow your heart". If you don't want to go into poli-sci / journalism / or be a professor there's not much point in studying polisci for two more years.

On the other hand $12,000 in student loans is a lot. But no matter what you do, that wouldn't go away. How much would it cost to finish where you are with a different degree? would you have to "backtrack" and take some extra courses if you changed your major? Is there a Hospitality and Tourism degree at your University? In the long run, which would create more debt?

I'm assuming the two year college is what we'd call a Community College or Trade School (less prestigious and geared towards going directly into a career, or as a stepping stone between secondary school and University - is that right?)

I think, now a days, a 2 year degree that allows you to get right into a career you're interested is more practical than a 4 year degree in either something you're not interested in or something that doesn't necessarily make you more hireable.

I'm trying to think in terms of a parent - I want Owen to go to a 4 year university but if he told me he wanted to be a mechanic or hairdresser or travel agent more than anything in the world then a 2 year trade school degree would seem like the way to go.

Don't know if my novel helped - hope it does.

"I think, now a days, a 2 year degree that allows you to get right into a career you're interested is more practical than a 4 year degree in either something you're not interested in or something that doesn't necessarily make you more hireable."

This line actually helped me put it into perspective a lot better. Thanks :hug:

It's a tough choice. Basically if I stayed and finished my degree I'd have to pay another $6000. The two year college course is basically that amount of money.
I still have to pay back the $12,000 but I'm trying to think of it as not a waste but maybe a benefit. Those two years still educated me, just not in the field I want to go into now.

Trust me, this is something I've always had in the back of my mind, even while I was sitting in my poli sci courses.

As for doing another degree there is nothing else I am interested in. My university is pretty limited. It's pretty much either something in science to go into the medical field or an arts degree that really has no purpose unless you want to go into teaching, which is what most people studying in those subjects are in right now too.

I was in the teaching program in my first year and didn't like it.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Travel/Tourism diploma. The way I see it is I just have to go with my gut feeling, as corny as that sounds. Plus I've done the research and there are a lot of job varieties in that field.

Thanks for the help Zooey :hug:

Bri, Jess, not that I'm an expert or anything, but were these surgeries planned? I'm thinking that for it to be an emergency surgery just before the tour, it *had* to be done now, so it was probably fairly serious...otherwise, he would have put it off till the next break, and gotten through the next leg or two with meds/physio/whatever.

THIS
.... I agree....
poor B!

Heal up good, Bono!:hug:SSSSS

VP, glad to hear Sarah's leg is on the mend... hope it continues to improve speedily! It must be very frustrating for her to be stuck with crutches for so long. :hug: And :hug: also for what looks like a tough week!

Thanks Ali. :hug: Nice to see you around these parts! How have you been? :)

Dazzled! :hug: I was wondering whether you'd heard the news yet.

VP! :hug: someone to SAY something too!

It's pure strong impulse control that kept me from like "squeaking" in shock while slap my hands over my mouth so no one would know I was reacting to something upsetting!

i swear! Nothing on any radio channel ( ortv last night) at all since i came home last night, and this morning b4 i left the house!!

the most important thing first is that he remain :pray: infection free so it doesn't :fist: complicate things more! :|:sigh:

Kristen, fwiw, here's my take on the university vs college thing. I'll preface it by saying that I think Zooey is totally right.

When I was thinking of going back to university, my first interest was getting a social work degree, and perhaps going on to get an MSW. I took a bunch of psych courses too, and found that I was far more interested in that, and had more confidence in their science and research-based methodologies, as opposed to the more touchy-feely social work way of doing things, so, I changed my direction. Talked to my cousin who works for a psychologist, and she talked to him for me. Maybe he's just bitter, I don't know, but he said that if he had to do it all over again, there's not enough of a financial return on the investment for a degree for his liking, and he thinks that going into a skilled technical field via community college makes much more sense these days. I didn't listen of course, and went on to do psych anyway. The prof who ended up being my advisor told his class that if anyone was getting into it for the money, don't bother, that his neighbour, a tool and die maker, makes more money than he does. In my case, I love the field, I'm passionate about it, and money is not a huge motivator for me.

I think I told you, but Sarah started out in poli-sci. She's always loved politics, but like you, it was more that she didn't know what to do, nothing jumped out at her, so she settled on that. She was *miserable* that year, hated learning the theory, and sort of stopped even reading about politics casually. She'd taken some psych courses too, and called me one day bawling her eyes out a few weeks into a new school year saying that she couldn't do poli-sci anymore, and thought she wanted to switch to psych. Long story short, she did. She LOVES it. You should see her now, she totally geeks out about it, reads about it in her spare time, and gets really excited. Makes me very happy to see.

In short, I think you need to consider if you're more motivated by money, or by doing something you'll love. Sounds to me like it's the latter for you. If so, I'd definitely go for the travel thing. And like you said, don't look at the 12,000 as a waste of money, you did learn and experience things during that time. And if you decide later that you do want a university degree, you can always go back.

Good luck. :hug:

it's not fun for any one who might lose $/ not be able to attend another show in place... but I hope the man takes some REAL time to HEAL up to the point he's not totally drugged up!

OR he's got some like SERIOUS BUT SERIOUSLY expert and ethical in the SPORTS MEdicine field who'd know more (maybe) about the kind of interplay between action and drugs/ activities and healing etc!!!

I have a feeling the NA leg will be postponed. I know some back surgeries are less invasive and have faster recovery times, but it's not like he's going back to work as an accountant.

Maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure he has the best people working toward his recovery, and that's the most important thing right now. :)

i was thinking in terms of a doc
who has a "pushy" patient who wants to get back to work asap and while the doc warns him or her that there could be consequences and signs off on the patient

gotta go'
'have a gr4eat time torrow night! :heart:

Kristen, fwiw, here's my take on the university vs college thing. I'll preface it by saying that I think Zooey is totally right.

When I was thinking of going back to university, my first interest was getting a social work degree, and perhaps going on to get an MSW. I took a bunch of psych courses too, and found that I was far more interested in that, and had more confidence in their science and research-based methodologies, as opposed to the more touchy-feely social work way of doing things, so, I changed my direction. Talked to my cousin who works for a psychologist, and she talked to him for me. Maybe he's just bitter, I don't know, but he said that if he had to do it all over again, there's not enough of a financial return on the investment for a degree for his liking, and he thinks that going into a skilled technical field via community college makes much more sense these days. I didn't listen of course, and went on to do psych anyway. The prof who ended up being my advisor told his class that if anyone was getting into it for the money, don't bother, that his neighbour, a tool and die maker, makes more money than he does. In my case, I love the field, I'm passionate about it, and money is not a huge motivator for me.

I think I told you, but Sarah started out in poli-sci. She's always loved politics, but like you, it was more that she didn't know what to do, nothing jumped out at her, so she settled on that. She was *miserable* that year, hated learning the theory, and sort of stopped even reading about politics casually. She'd taken some psych courses too, and called me one day bawling her eyes out a few weeks into a new school year saying that she couldn't do poli-sci anymore, and thought she wanted to switch to psych. Long story short, she did. She LOVES it. You should see her now, she totally geeks out about it, reads about it in her spare time, and gets really excited. Makes me very happy to see.

In short, I think you need to consider if you're more motivated by money, or by doing something you'll love. Sounds to me like it's the latter for you. If so, I'd definitely go for the travel thing. And like you said, don't look at the 12,000 as a waste of money, you did learn and experience things during that time. And if you decide later that you do want a university degree, you can always go back.

Good luck. :hug:

Thanks VP :hug: The story about Sarah really made me realize that I need to do something I love, regardless of the money I may lose.

k

i i know it's partly a $$$ issue BUT i think in the long run doing something you really enjoy and that has a lot of various aspects to it, and certainly isn't going away ...is something to seriously balance against the $.

Thanks Daz :hug: I definitely agree I need to do something I love.

Thanks VP :hug: The story about Sarah really made me realize that I need to do something I love, regardless of the money I may lose.

Another factor is, when someone graduates with a BA in the liberal arts or social sciences, there's really not a ton you can do with it that will earn you much money. These days, most people end up in an entry level job that has nothing to do with their degree. So, unless you're planning on going to grad school, there's not much hope at getting a job in most of those fields, or making much money anyway.

Yeah, Sarah's the same way, I think she can count the times she's had them over the years on one hand, and they've been mild. She certainly doesn't take after the women in my family, in that respect. We're all doubled over, practically in tears every month. :lol:

I felt so horrible last night, i didn't even have my booze. :sigh: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom