PGP: U2, get yer well seasoned asses to the studio, enough with the holidays!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bonocomet said:
And arw did you give me your cold? :hmm: I have one now. :sigh: I'm glad you're feeling better now, and yay for your new phone! :applaud: (By the way did you get the last message I sent you?)

Yes I got it but it was a day I was really sick so I didn't respond. I will later :).

My cold is starting to go but I emailed my trainer to cancel me for boot camp tonite. There's no way I'm ok for that kind of workout yet.

I love my new phone but its so confusing! I had a few missed calls today becuz I didn't realize it was my phone...and it was in my pocket when it was ringing! :der:

TaraCynara said:
Nothing.

Just, as a Bears fan, I have to rag on any team that isn't them. Especially the cheese-heads Packers. :D

please know, i tease because i love.

Ah well that makes more sense. I HATE the Packers!!! I'm not a huge fan of the Bears or Lions either but I don't hate them nearly as much as the Packers. Since so many Wisconsinites live here there's a lot of Packer fans around and a lot of them are very obnoxious! Not saying all Packer fans are but just the ones I know that live here.

Ah well that makes more sense. I HATE the Packers!!! I'm not a huge fan of the Bears or Lions either but I don't hate them nearly as much as the Packers. Since so many Wisconsinites live here there's a lot of Packer fans around and a lot of them are very obnoxious! Not saying all Packer fans are but just the ones I know that live here.

Packers are evil. :D
Lions are just down right horrible as a team. I honestly had to be reminded they still existed. :lol: The only other team I can stand lately is the NY Giants. I used to love the Colts as my second favorite (I lived in Indiana, so it's sorta a given), but ever since I moved, I didn't see the point anymore.

And nothing, not eve my close proximity to the state, can make me even begin to think about liking the Denver Donkeys Broncos. :shifty:

Packers are evil. :D
Lions are just down right horrible as a team. I honestly had to be reminded they still existed. :lol: The only other team I can stand lately is the NY Giants. I used to love the Colts as my second favorite (I lived in Indiana, so it's sorta a given), but ever since I moved, I didn't see the point anymore.

And nothing, not eve my close proximity to the state, can make me even begin to think about liking the Denver Donkeys Broncos. :shifty:

I am a Vikings fan through and through. I could never cheer on another team. I tried to be a Cardinals fan when I lived in Arizona but I just couldn't do it. :tsk:

My family doesn't have a strong allegiance to either of those teams-as I've mentioned before, my mom's actually a Miami Dolphins fan (whch hasn't worked out very well for her in recent years, granted, but still...:wink:), but between the two, if forced to pick, my mom would go with the Packers. And most people I know are Packers fans. Me, as always, I remain neutral :p.

Though we're all in agreement that Brett Favre is an annoying douche, so there's that.

i was :tsk: an all around picky eater until my teens esp mid-teens onward. drove my poor parents bonkers. At least they lived way long enough to see me drastically change!

Alot of Americans over-cook veggies- that's often what i grew up on. It wasn't until i learned Chinese cooking... often fast steaming or wok frying.... but note .... i asked this of my local restaurant...they use more oil than they would at home because it's faster to cook that way and get more customers..... that veggies became more interesting to me.

Also again herbs and spices (without necessarily being hot) play a great role, too!

I was a very picky eater growing up, too. Oh, yes. Still am to some degree but I'm trying to change that.

That's really interesting about the vegetables. I don't know if my family's been guilty of that in the past or not, but I'll keep that in mind. And yeah, I'm sure there's some good spices and herbs out there, too-guess I'll just have to mix and match and see what combination I like best to help it all go down better.

:love: Exactly that!

Glad you guys are quite sane on this. :up: I mean, I'm fine with vegetarians, my sister is one and plenty of friends are. But I'm NOT fine with people telling me I'm a murderer and should not do what I do. Err, I'm not telling YOU what you should do, so leave me alone.
And don't spread lies. That one is pretty big with me. I hate lies.

:up: Agreed. And the lie thing is just stupid. Eventually someone will find out you lied, and then it'll be harder for people to take you seriously after that, which would kinda put a dent in your attempt to get people to come to your side, wouldn't it?

So arw, does that mean you dislike McNabb?

As an Eagles fan (though in recent years I've been eh over them, thanks to Vick) I have a grudging respect for Eli Manning, but I will never say I like the Giants. I'm not a Colts or Broncos fan, but I've always liked Peyton. The Cowboys are the only team I really don't like, for no real reason :lol:

Now, my real team is the Pittsburgh Steelers. So excited for Sunday's game, my dear Troy Polamalu should be back (and Harrison and Mendenhall) :)

Sounds like cold season is starting, ugh. Last year was horrible! I was sick twice in one month.
Hope you guys feel better.

Vick just isn't a team player, and while he seemed pretty good when he first started, he's just not a good player right now. I try to ignore his past.

I'm all for them putting in the rookie backup, Nick Foles (I'm pretty sure that's his name anyway...).
Then again, maybe they won't have a choice if Vick keeps getting injured.

Well at least when he first got picked up by the Eagles and McNabb was starting to go downhill, he seemed pretty good. But he certainly does not have the potential to go very far, or at least he hasn't shown that he does.

Yes, that's good too. I do like veggies cooked that way. :love:

I know, I shouldn't have said NO herbs. :hmm: One of my fave dinners is to chop up a small red potato and a very small sweet potato, toss them together with olive oil and FRESH basil (not dried!!), put in a bowl and microwave about 5 minutes until the potatoes are cooked and :drool: Delicious dinner in under 10 minutes.

:hi5:

Ooh can I suggest something? With potatoes, the best herb to combine them with is rosemary. :love: Put those on and roast in oven.

U2360 said:
So arw, does that mean you dislike McNabb?

As an Eagles fan (though in recent years I've been eh over them, thanks to Vick) I have a grudging respect for Eli Manning, but I will never say I like the Giants. I'm not a Colts or Broncos fan, but I've always liked Peyton. The Cowboys are the only team I really don't like, for no real reason :lol:

Now, my real team is the Pittsburgh Steelers. So excited for Sunday's game, my dear Troy Polamalu should be back (and Harrison and Mendenhall) :)

Sounds like cold season is starting, ugh. Last year was horrible! I was sick twice in one month.
Hope you guys feel better.

Not a fan of McNabb. NO one wanted him here after Favre. We just got rid if one ancient QB so when McNabb came along while we had 2 rookies waiting to start he was just not welcome. I've never seen anyone wearing his Viking jersey. We're all very happy with Christian Ponder and his back up Joe Webb.

:hi5:

Ooh can I suggest something? With potatoes, the best herb to combine them with is rosemary. :love: Put those on and roast in oven.

:drool: Ooh yes! I'm going to try it because I do like rosemary, and it seems the fresh basil is always getting sold out. :hmm:

Yes I got it but it was a day I was really sick so I didn't respond. I will later :).

My cold is starting to go but I emailed my trainer to cancel me for boot camp tonite. There's no way I'm ok for that kind of workout yet.

I love my new phone but its so confusing! I had a few missed calls today becuz I didn't realize it was my phone...and it was in my pocket when it was ringing! :der:

No problem! I hope you're all well now. My cold pretty much went away, so I'm happy about that.

Good that you're getting used to your phone. My kids are really wanting me to make the switch soon. (So we can go on a family plan and they'll get new phones too. :wink:)

I love my new iPhone so hard right now. If I would make love sweet love to it if it weren't terribly creepy or really unsanitary.

I was a very picky eater growing up, too. Oh, yes. Still am to some degree but I'm trying to change that.

That's really interesting about the vegetables. I don't know if my family's been guilty of that in the past or not, but I'll keep that in mind. And yeah, I'm sure there's some good spices and herbs out there, too-guess I'll just have to mix and match and see what combination I like best to help it all go down better.

I'd suggest looking on line or in books that feature different ethnic groups/or books that specialize in regional cooking of a specific country.

Each of these groups of people has been honing their cuisines for centuries plus. :D They have specific herbs & spices for their cuisines!
Sometimes you'll even see where some herbs & spices are present in nearby regions in different countries, and where they change.

:up: And if you want some kind of dip, garlic mayonaise is great with it. And add a bit of yoghurt for a fresh twist. :D Just a bit.

oh man i love adding garlic to mayo!
then again I love adding garlic to most cooking or cold sandwhiches through (usually) mayo! :D

Now here's something (and I finally read someone who said that a lot of garlic can "burn" something like hotter hot peppers) to try if you are a garlic lover- Pototo Garlic Dip

From greekfood. about.com

In Greek: σκορδαλιά pronounced skor-thal-YAH
My older family members would fix this using a mortar and pestle to first degrade the garlic with salt, then add other ingredients to create the purée texture desired. Today, I often use a food processor or hand mixer which makes things a lot easier and takes a lot less time! Skordalia (skorthalia) can also be made with bread, but the potato recipe is more versatile since it can double as garlic mashed potatoes.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds of potatoes for boiling
6-12 cloves of garlic, minced or grated (to taste)
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup of good quality red or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

Preparation:
Add the salt to a large pot of water. Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water until well done (easily pierced with a fork). Drain.
Sprinkle the potatoes with pepper and mash.
In the blender bowl of the food processor (or with a hand mixer), purée the potatoes and garlic until well mixed, about 30-45 seconds. Still puréeing, slowly add the olive oil and vinegar, alternating between them, tasting as you go, until the mixture is smooth. Skorthalia should be creamy and thick. If it gets too thick, add a little cold water (not more than 1/4 cup).
Yield: About 2-3 cups

To prepare by hand
Mash potatoes with garlic. Drizzle in the olive oil and vinegar slowly, alternating between them, mashing well. Add pepper. This version may be grainier, but the taste is wonderful!
Note: Skordalia is a matter of taste. Some prefer a mild garlic taste, while others prefer a strong garlic taste. If the taste is too strong, adjust the quantities of potatoes or bread up a bit. If the taste is not strong enough, increase the garlic.
Additions
In various regions of Greece, walnuts or almonds are added. If you like, add a cup of finely chopped walnuts or almonds to the food processor at the beginning, with the potatoes, and add the juice of a lemon to the liquids. The consistency will still be similar to thick ketchup but granular due to the nuts.

Guide's Response to User Review
"In response to reviewer tellos, note that the salt is added to the water when boiling the potatoes - not to the dish itself. In the event that this was not clear, I have added a parenthetical comment to the recipe directions." Nancy Gaifyllia, Your Guide to Greek Food
Serve Skorthalia with...
Fried Salt Cod Steaks
Grilled Beef Burgers
Grilled Pork Burgers

let me also present TZATZIKI: Greek Yougurt Dip

greekfood.about.com
this is not how I've done it, I'll tell you my way after.

Cool and creamy, this tangy cucumber dip flavored with garlic is the perfect compliment to grilled meats and vegetables. It's served on the side with warm pita bread triangles for dipping, and is also used as a condiment for souvlaki.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 cup greek yogurt, strained
1 cup sour cream
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 tsp. chopped fresh dill

Preparation:
Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix until well combined. Using a whisk, blend the yogurt with the sour cream. Add the olive oil mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix well. Finally, add the cucumber and chopped fresh dill. Chill for at least two hours before serving.
Garnish with a sprig of fresh dill just before serving.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We (my mom & I) would take regular plain yogurt (1 quart) and put it in cheeesecloththat was inside a metal strainer and strain it to get what's (now in fashion) called Greek Yogurt - very thick (you could just about stand a untensil in it) .

Some places mix either very thin sliced half-circles or shredded cucumbers in the yogurt. Others leave some cut version of cukes on the side. I've rarely seen it with dill mixed in.

NO sour cream either.
And I think i've used lemon juice in place of vinigear but not sure.

Enjoy! :D

I love my new iPhone so hard right now. If I would make love sweet love to it if it weren't terribly creepy or really unsanitary.

I feel the same way but at the same time I kinda miss my Blackberry. I'm having a hard time getting used to the new sounds it makes so I'm missing calls and texts. Plus I really miss my BB keyboard. Sometimes I have about 2 seconds to text a message back to someone and it's taking me forever on my iPhone. But I really do freaking love this thing more than anything. It's so much easier to use the internet when I'm at work. I could only view some things on my BB, not everything, and it would take forever and a day to load a page. Felt like I was using a PC on dial up :sexywink: This is just instant internet, which is so awesome for me when I need to look up a recipe super quick.

:hug: nice that Fall Break turned out better than you expected!

i hear you about not quite even getting half of what you wanted done....done. :hug:

I'm pretty good to good dependeding.

Two + weeks ago I started going downtown without my cane still in walking boot. But wearing boot more open, much more articulation with ankle. At home started wearing sneakers in eve.
In nabe started walking around in just my sneakers.

past 3 days have put on my sneaks right away and worn alll day/eve etc mostly feels good.

Tomorrow I will head to Art downtown just in sneakers. might roll a small ace bandage around the ankle not to stop ROM but keep ankle area a bit protected.

have had some problems with later Acess a Ride so i've had to be on trains and buses more than i planned to. At least most of that has been
in between and after rush hours.

it's massses of crowds and up/down stairs that kinda freaks me out while still on the blood-thinner (2 more montyhs) at least between & later dwindles.

so gaining more strength. balance is good plus.
probably should also be walking 10 -20 blocks straight depending between 12 -15 now al least on mostly levelish streets. Not in my nabe tho :tsk: 80+% hills!
i can def do 10 blocks (about 1/2 mile) and a bit more.
because of AaR mess ups have had to stand up around 3 hrs straight twice.... only got sore-ish in the last 1/2 hr.

the PT people never seemed to gotten my fax from 2 weeks ago...left some phome messages too.Got to talk to a live person today and send early next week.

need more strength and stamina to fully get back everything but things have started to improve ?exponentially?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom