PGP:There's A PGP Wedding! Here Come The Brides!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if I'm understanding you correctly - the voting age used to be different, and you were 18 the year they changed it? That's cool! :)

I wish I had gotten a sticker for the last elections or something fun, but I just mailed in my ballot. They should send you something fun for doing that! :giggle:
:lol:

Yeah! It used to be 21 !
And I turned 18 that year the new voting age law went into effect! And obviously before the actual election. :D

A lot of the push (for the 18 yr old voting) was that if 18 yr old were being drafted fo the then Vietnam War they should be able to vote. And yeah we had The Draft back then.

ETA:
And it's also interesting to suddenly talk to you as also a fellow USA Citizen!!! :D

And do they know there isn't a "sea" between Canada and Washington? :D Maybe Sarah Palin is drafting the letters you're getting :giggle:

:lol: No kidding... God, she annoys the :censored: out of me.

Thora, I didn't know that about your dual citizenship! That's awesome :up:. Happy to have you among our country's citizens :hug:, very cool you got to participate in the last election, especially given the history surrounding it. Awesome political history story from you as well, dazzled.

Just voted as well, so hi to fellow voters :wave:! I always feel good after I do that. It's just awesome to know you have the ability to do such a thing, even if it sometimes seems like it didn't get you the results you wanted. I love those signs from that rally on Saturday, too, I wish so badly I could've gone to that. I really enjoyed watching it on TV, though, at least.

Also, zuropa, have fun with the cute guy ;). And that picture of U2 shirtless in a radio station...'kay, my dad used to work in radio, why the hell didn't they ever show up at any station he worked at like that? No fair!

Angela

I thought I'd talked about my dual citizenship when it was last voting time, but I guess I didn't. :) My mom's American, and when she married my dad (Canadian), they moved up here fairly soon after they were married.

It's awesome, because I get the best of both worlds - I can live and work wherever I'd like to. :love: When I'd first graduated from university, I found it easier to find a job in Washington than in my home province, so I moved to Seattle for a few years. :)

That's so awesome, Thora. I'm glad you get to have some different, interesting experiences and get to be involved in both countries like that. May both countries continue to provide you with the best they have to offer :).

One day recently I was waiting for the bus here in town, and wound up sitting next to a woman who was originally from Pakistan. She has Canadian citizenship, too, and has also lived in the U.S. She moved to my town 3 years ago from Canada when her husband got a new job. Apparently also lived in New York City at one point, too-liked it there, but says she prefers living here, 'cause she likes the small town life and it's easier to navigate this town, and the people are really nice as well (not that New Yorkers aren't nice, of course, they are, just...Iowas have that "small town friendliness" thing going on). Had a very fascinating discussion with her-I envy people who've been able to see/live in multiple countries like that. I've been to numerous U.S. states, but, um, that's been it for me as far as travel. I've never even been outside the continental U.S. to Alaska or Hawaii.

thanks angela!

and :lol: :lol: def NO PHAIR!!!!

You're welcome :). And hehe, glad we're in agreement *Wonders whether or not throwing a temper tantrum would be "ladylike"*. Though maybe it's a good thing, 'cause I'm sure my dad would've just rolled his eyes at my constant drooling :p.

Angela

wow, pretty interesting that you have two citizenship! we are only allowed to have one!
...but in case Edge should propose to me, i think i know which side to choose :lol:

Yeah, each country is different when it comes to their citizenship rules. I'm thankful that I'm allowed to keep both, and to not have to decide between the two. I think it used to be that you had to pick one and stick with it, but I guess they've relaxed that rule. My mom is an American, but she's a landed immigrant or some other status, I forget which. It allows her to work legally, but that's about it. She keeps saying that she's going to become a Canadian at some point so she can vote here, but who knows if that will ever happen. :giggle: She's been in the country for 35 years, so it certainly hasn't been a high priority for her. :wink:

ah, right :doh: totally forgot about this! he does!!!! well, need to get one first and then see about the second one too :wink:
seems like everyone is allowed to have dual citizenship!

Most people are. I know that in Morocco you're not allowed to give up your passport there, and that a child born will automatically get the Moroccan identity regardless of where it was born.

Yeah, each country is different when it comes to their citizenship rules. I'm thankful that I'm allowed to keep both, and to not have to decide between the two. I think it used to be that you had to pick one and stick with it, but I guess they've relaxed that rule. My mom is an American, but she's a landed immigrant or some other status, I forget which. It allows her to work legally, but that's about it. She keeps saying that she's going to become a Canadian at some point so she can vote here, but who knows if that will ever happen. :giggle: She's been in the country for 35 years, so it certainly hasn't been a high priority for her. :wink:

My grandpa's a dual citizen too. He was born Canadian but moved to Florida for a while so he got his American citizenship.

He lives back here now but still kept both.

wow, pretty interesting that you have two citizenship! we are only allowed to have one!
...but in case Edge should propose to me, i think i know which side to choose :lol:

:D Awwww. Way to be devoted.

If any of my non U.S. crushes ever proposed to me, we'd just split time between their home country and mine (I'm waiting, boys :p!). Which is something I've always wanted to do, regardless of who I wind up marrying-I've always thought it'd be kinda nice to be able to live in two different parts of the world like that (fascinating that some areas are much more restrictive about that stuff). Would need a mass amount of money to do so, though, so...

...yeah, really, no kidding! If I or my family won the lottery, we'd all do a massive happy dance.

And then I'd totally go for that eBay thing :yes:.

In other news, so my sister's turned on some show on TV about a woman who got pregnant and had a child at 70 :yikes:. Via fertility treatments, of course-she'd never been able to have a child her whole life and wanted one, so she went that route. Her choice, obviously, I'm sorry, but there's gotta be a limit. I have this thing about trying to force your body to do something it doesn't seem to want to do. And if you want a child that bad and can't produce one the natural way, I don't understand why you don't just put the money you invest in fertility treatments towards adopting a child instead.

Angela

I thought I'd talked about my dual citizenship when it was last voting time, but I guess I didn't. :) My mom's American, and when she married my dad (Canadian), they moved up here fairly soon after they were married.

It's awesome, because I get the best of both worlds - I can live and work wherever I'd like to. :love: When I'd first graduated from university, I found it easier to find a job in Washington than in my home province, so I moved to Seattle for a few years. :)

Thora likes it both ways :shifty:

A new mom at 70???? Not to turn this into FYM or anything but that is NOT okay on so many levels.

wasn't the same thing on sale in EBay a few weeks back already? :hmm: i definately remember a Bono-car...

:D Awwww. Way to be devoted.

If any of my non U.S. crushes ever proposed to me, we'd just split time between their home country and mine (I'm waiting, boys
razz.gif
!). Which is something I've always wanted to do, regardless of who I wind up marrying-I've always thought it'd be kinda nice to be able to live in two different parts of the world like that (fascinating that some areas are much more restrictive about that stuff). Would need a mass amount of money to do so, though, so...

In other news, so my sister's turned on some show on TV about a woman who got pregnant and had a child at 70
scared.gif
. Via fertility treatments, of course-she'd never been able to have a child her whole life and wanted one, so she went that route. Her choice, obviously, I'm sorry, but there's gotta be a limit. I have this thing about trying to force your body to do something it doesn't seem to want to do. And if you want a child that bad and can't produce one the natural way, I don't understand why you don't just put the money you invest in fertility treatments towards adopting a child instead.

Angela

I wouldn't do it for just anyone :wink: but I wouldn't really abandon my country either! i guess in the end it just really depends on the situation :D

mom at 70??? now this is definately NOT ok! :down: i mean, sure, 70 can be young (in health or in spirit), but then again you might be dead by the time your kid goes to the first grade! or be quite an oldie by the time child graduates... i'm sure the kid would not have a happy childhood!

Okay, so wow - all my work is done for today. I had a conference call to call into at 12:30, and that lasted all of 5 minutes. I love it when that hapens. :lol:

Now to go amuse myself and merely keep an eye on my work email.

Gotta enjoy the quiet days when they come. I already know I have to make a difficult phone call when I'm back in the office tomorrow (aka "I'm so sorry, but there's nothing we can do."), so I'm definitely relaxing today and trying not to dread it too much.

Back
Top Bottom