PGP - Keeping Your Shutters Wide Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thora, can you send her a text? I was so surprised the first time my mom texted me :giggle:

No, she wouldn't have any clue what to do or how to open it, if their phones even have texting capabilities. :lol: She's not very technologically savvy. My brother and I really need to teach them how to text, and encourage them to get newer phones. Theirs are probably around 6 or 7 years old. :tsk: :giggle:

I sent a text to my mom, sort of as a joke and she responded. I was like "Way to go, Mom!" I think she has a fb page to but I"m not touching that one!

Aww, that's awesome!

Funny thing - seconds after posting that, I got a call. The surgery was delayed. They don't know anything yet, but there will probably be news in an hour and a half. :up: So good to know. I feel much more peaceful now.

Aww, that's awesome!

Funny thing - seconds after posting that, I got a call. The surgery was delayed. They don't know anything yet, but there will probably be news in an hour and a half. :up: So good to know. I feel much more peaceful now.

Yeah, at least you can breathe now.

Man, I heard the weather was crazy in the Northeast, but I had no idea it was as bad as that. Yuck. :hug: We've got a "cold" snap going on right now. Barely hitting 30C, but in the desert, it's always a dry heat. Usually we're up to 38 or higher.

It hit 37.77C = 100F again today. :| BUT i think it might get a little cooler faster becuse there are more clouds around.
But it still ISN'T AS humid as it could be ... :yikes:

I still don't feel like I'm walking through clear gel yet. :happy:

Yeah you'd be at 102 - 105 usually, huh, at this time of year?

Not a dumb question at all! I mostly train in the pool, as I live inland, and there aren't any good ocean swimming places nearby. The nearest ocean-based beach is a 40 minute drive away, and it's not a safe swimming area.

The week before my race I'll be at my parents place, so I'll be able to practice in the ocean there. So I'm definitely at a bigger disadvantage than everybody else in the race, since most people live full time in that area. But that's okay. I'm just in it to complete it - I know I'd never win the race. :)

Just talked with my Dad on the phone and started crying. :lol: :reject: I'm such a freaking sap and a worrywart. His surgery is in a few hours, and they're on their way to the hospital right now. It's not major surgery, but I'm worried nonetheless. He sounds positive and not too stressed out, so I'm going to keep positive too. :)

oh right..... the eye surgery yes? :hug::hug:

Not a dumb question at all! I mostly train in the pool, as I live inland, and there aren't any good ocean swimming places nearby. The nearest ocean-based beach is a 40 minute drive away, and it's not a safe swimming area.

The week before my race I'll be at my parents place, so I'll be able to practice in the ocean there. So I'm definitely at a bigger disadvantage than everybody else in the race, since most people live full time in that area. But that's okay. I'm just in it to complete it - I know I'd never win the race. :)

I just think it's awesome that you do it. I'm so deathly afraid of open water swims on a number of levels. I've heard that starting out is really hard to get your head above the splashing to get any air. And then there's the whole "I'm afraid of what's in the water" thing :reject: Is the water warm enough that you don't need a wetsuit or do you have one of those? I seem to remember seeing bare lower legs in a pic of the race last year so it can't be too too freezing.

triathlete here but I won't split hairs! Thora's the marathoner (or 1/2 marathoner, I don't remember). I'm trying to convert her to triathlons though. :wink:

Nope, not even a half marathoner yet. One day! :D I'm doing 10k's and 1 mile swims.

But yes, the goal is to do half and full marathons, as well as triathlons eventually! :D

oh right..... the eye surgery yes? :hug::hug:

Yup. I have a few more posts about this that you'll get to. :) Thanks! :hug:

Ha! A few minutes ago, Sarah gasped, and I asked what was wrong. She paused for a few seconds and then let out a sigh of relief. Turns out she saw Ringo was trending on Twitter, and she got all scared till she saw why. :lol:

:hug: Sarah

if I was looking at twitter trending and that that came up -- I wouldn't have been jumpy, b/c I just saw 2 days ago that his All-Star Band is playing here tonight at Radio City Music Hall! :D

I just think it's awesome that you do it. I'm so deathly afraid of open water swims on a number of levels. I've heard that starting out is really hard to get your head above the splashing to get any air. And then there's the whole "I'm afraid of what's in the water" thing :reject: Is the water warm enough that you don't need a wetsuit or do you have one of those? I seem to remember seeing bare lower legs in a pic of the race last year so it can't be too too freezing.

I think it depends on how many people you're racing with. Mine is limited to 35 people, so it's not too bad. It is a bit of a gong show at first, but then I quickly fall to the back of the pack, and am pretty much on my own for the rest of the race. :)

It really depends on the weather leading up to the day. It's the Pacific Ocean, so it's definitely colder than a pool. Last year was much better weather-wise, so the ocean was gloriously warm that day. Thankfully summer has finally arrived, so I'm hoping it will warm things up. The first minute or two I'll be freezing, but once you start moving your body warms up fairly quickly. :)

I do have a wetsuit, but you get a 1 minute penalty added to your time if you use one, so I've never bothered.

Aw, I just missed Zooey. This is for you, since I'm going to bed soon ( :crack: )

Gooooo Zooey! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thora, glad you finally got a call. Waiting sucks. Hang in there. :hug:

Hey Dazzled! :hug: Glad the humidity isn't bad there (yet?). Ours topped out at 44C/111F today. :crack: It's starting to drop a bit now - it's back down to 42.

Just talked with my Dad. :heart: They're leaving the hospital now. SO fast! He's doing well, the surgery was a success, and the doctor is very pleased. So nice to hear his voice. :)

Wow! you do open water ocean swimming competitions! :applaud::applaud:

Both my parents were good swimmers. I have one or two memories
when I was pretty young of them going off to swim in the ocean while
whichever aunt/uncles were with us to watch out after us .

Our dad took me & my sis at different times when we reached around? 9-ish to learn to swim in one of the YWCA's here in the city.

I can basically tread water, float on back, side stroke, butterfly and breast-stroke but since i got so allergic to chlorine by the time I was 16 I haven't really done it as an adult.

When I was at th htel in Puerto rico 3 years ago...i did modified side stroke with out putting my head in the water and that was great fun! :heart:

Wow! you do open water ocean swimming competitions! :applaud::applaud:

Both my parents were good swimmers. I have one or two memories
when I was pretty young of them going off to swim in the ocean while
whichever aunt/uncles were with us to watch out after us .

Our dad took me & my sis at different times when we reached around? 9-ish to learn to swim in one of the YWCA's here in the city.

I can basically tread water, float on back, side stroke, butterfly and breast-stroke but since i got so allergic to chlorine by the time I was 16 I haven't really done it as an adult.

When I was at th htel in Puerto rico 3 years ago...i did modified side stroke with out putting my head in the water and that was great fun! :heart:

Swimming, ftw! :love:

That's too bad about the chlorine allergy. :( Maybe you'll outgrow it someday! I know that allergies can start and stop in a person's lifetime, so there's always hope that it will go away. :D

Thanks for the hugs, ladies! :hug: I'm feeling so much more peaceful and happy now that I've heard his voice and know that he's recovering well.

Back
Top Bottom