PGP: It's Beer O'Clock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was/am one of those that feel meh about Nirvana. I was in the music scene when grunge broke. I felt there were better bands that remained untouched because of Nirvana. Maybe had Kurt lived they would have evolved. But he was married to Courtney so he was doomed. I saw Nirvana in a small club (bout the size of a large living room) in 1991. I wasn't very impressed.
I heard Hole's Violet today and thought how much they were influenced by Nirvana. That whole album has Kurt all over it. Consequently the follow up sounded like Smashing Pumpkins because Billy Corgan (an exboyfriend of Courtney) produced a few songs on that.
That concludes my music history vomit.

Comet - happy birthday Camille! As for the videos, they're just You Tube videos from the band's Vimeo page. If you need other links, let me know.

Katie, just what I posted earlier, about Kurt calling Dave's song simple and boneheaded. I don't think that was a diss though, since that was the version they chose...I think in this case, simple and boneheaded means obvious. The simplicity of many Nirvana songs is what makes them awesome.

I was/am one of those that feel meh about Nirvana. I was in the music scene when grunge broke. I felt there were better bands that remained untouched because of Nirvana. Maybe had Kurt lived they would have evolved. But he was married to Courtney so he was doomed. I saw Nirvana in a small club (bout the size of a large living room) in 1991. I wasn't very impressed.
I heard Hole's Violet today and thought how much they were influenced by Nirvana. That whole album has Kurt all over it. Consequently the follow up sounded like Smashing Pumpkins because Billy Corgan (an exboyfriend of Courtney) produced a few songs on that.
That concludes my music history vomit.

I've read rumours that Kurt wrote for Hole. Wouldn't surprise me. There are a couple of Hole songs that are perfection. The rest, meh.

I was/am one of those that feel meh about Nirvana. I was in the music scene when grunge broke.

I was the same way. I HATED the hype, felt that they hadn't paid their dues, they just sort of exploded onto the scene. It wasn't till years later that I grew to appreciate them. But fan or not, I don't think anyone can deny they changed the face of music in the early 90s.

And not that this was a thing, but at the time, I was a much bigger Pearl Jam fan, felt that they'd be substantive and lasting. Now, I'm a much bigger Nirvana fan.

I can understand that feeling, especially if you saw bands around the same time doing the same sort of music that you felt should've gotten their moment in the spotlight. There's many stories in rock history of bands that went unnoticed for reasons nobody can explain.

I turned 7 the year Nirvana hit it big with "Smells Like Teen Spirit". So I missed out on the big hoopla over them. And I know nostalgia can be a pretty powerful thing, so it's not always easy to tell if the talk of how important they are/were is genuine or just people stating such things to appear cool or something years later.

And, sadly, Kurt's death factors into a lot of people's hype. The old joke about death being a brilliant career move, and whatnot.

I admit, I like the original studio version by PF much more, but.... :drool: Bryan Adams... :shifty:

Bryan Adams - House Arrest (Live) - YouTube

(this was filmed this past April... *really wishes she lived in Canada sometimes*)

It's always fun to see people perform and get the impression that they clearly love doing this for a living :).

I didn't realize there was another version of that one song. Who's PF?

I also know what you mean about wishing you lived elsewhere sometimes. I feel that way a LOT when it comes to my favorite people. Why does all the cool stuff they're involved with have to happen so far from where I live :scream:?

Yay for a chill day! And, a :hug: for today.

Thanks :hug:. Yeah, 9 pm Monday night will be a happy time for me. Get off work then and then two days off :hyper:!

I felt there were better bands that remained untouched because of Nirvana.

Yeah, that's the general consensus of the site...I'm totally biased the other way around. But more in the sense that I still need to explore all the other bands that were around at the time :/ I haven't found one that I can easily go through the discography of yet...pretty much everyone from the same scene seems to have songs I like and songs I seriously don't, usually on the same album. It's frustrating.

I saw Nirvana in a small club (bout the size of a large living room) in 1991. I wasn't very impressed.

Graaace. I just got very excited and then back again in the space of two sentences.

Someday you're going to have to post a master list of all the bands you've seen. I'm...probably going to be very jealous.

Katie, just what I posted earlier, about Kurt calling Dave's song simple and boneheaded. I don't think that was a diss though, since that was the version they chose...I think in this case, simple and boneheaded means obvious. The simplicity of many Nirvana songs is what makes them awesome.

Yeah, I was getting that sense. It was probably an ironic statement bc simple and boneheaded isn't much of a deviation from their usual stuff. Kinda redundant to even call it that.

I was very much not-old-enough/just-born around that time of the 90s. (It would not have been worth it to have been to concerts as a screaming baby.) I think most of the hype bypassed me. I know my mom definitely has a thing against them, then again, she does with most famous people. Even the non-fucked up ones.

I turned 7 the year Nirvana hit it big with "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

*Hobbles along on her crutches* I'm Kurt's age! :wink:

Yeah, that's the general consensus of the site...I'm totally biased the other way around. But more in the sense that I still need to explore all the other bands that were around at the time :/ I haven't found one that I can easily go through the discography of yet...pretty much everyone from the same scene seems to have songs I like and songs I seriously don't, usually on the same album. It's frustrating.

I was very much not-old-enough/just-born around that time of the 90s. (It would not have been worth it to have been to concerts as a screaming baby.) I think most of the hype bypassed me. I know my mom definitely has a thing against them, then again, she does with most famous people. Even the non-fucked up ones.

My cat is climbing all over my keyboard, so hopefully she hasn't created typos I'm not aware of (or professed a love of some lame-ass band, what a cat-like thing to do)...but yeah, I'm like your mom. Anything that exploded onto the scene, like Nirvana (although reading the history now, it wasn't exactly instant, even though it seemed to be at the time), I held instant contempt and disdain for. It was many years before I began to like Nirvana. But even still, I could recognize their significance in pop music.

Anyway, out of the ashes that was Nirvana rose the Foo Fighters, and I'm really glad for that, and happy for Dave Grohl, because he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I''m not sure that Nirvana would have had the staying power that the Foo Fighters have had.

I turned 7 the year Nirvana hit it big with "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Ha, I turned 6. :lol:

It's always fun to see people perform and get the impression that they clearly love doing this for a living :).

I didn't realize there was another version of that one song. Who's PF?
:yes: And, from a few reviews of this and other live videos on YouTube: someone who was a meh fan went to the concert with friends, and came out a hufe fan of his.... dammit.

PF - Pink Floyd.

(9) THE WALL: Pink Floyd - Young Lust - YouTube

I also know what you mean about wishing you lived elsewhere sometimes. I feel that way a LOT when it comes to my favorite people. Why does all the cool stuff they're involved with have to happen so far from where I live :scream:?
Exactly!

Thanks :hug:. Yeah, 9 pm Monday night will be a happy time for me. Get off work then and then two days off :hyper:!
Party Time! :hyper:

Okay, so, on the dvd I'm watching now (Ed Sullivan Theatre, Apr '11) Taylor is singing Cold Day In The Sun. I've always thought Taylor was a hottie, even though he's probably only a few years younger than me, and also, I read recently that he''s going to play Iggy Pop in a movie about CBGBs, WOO!! Awesome casting, I can totally see it.

Okay, so, on the dvd I'm watching now (Ed Sullivan Theatre, Apr '11) Taylor is singing Cold Day In The Sun. I've always thought Taylor was a hottie, even though he's probably only a few years younger than me, and also, I read recently that he''s going to play Iggy Pop in a movie about CBGBs, WOO!! Awesome casting, I can totally see it.

Yeah, I've thought Taylor was kind of a babe too, but the more I know about Dave's personality, at least the one he shows the world, the more I love him!!!

And yeah, someone sent me a link to the Iggy Pop news a couple weeks ago. From what the reviewer had seen, he didn't seem too impressed with the movie though.

Did the Foo Fighters do an appearance on Letterman, similar to U2? Because after every song or two, the Worldwide Pants logo appears, and that's David Letterman's production company. And this was filmed at the Ed Sullivan theater, where Letterman tapes his shows.

Yeah, I've thought Taylor was kind of a babe too, but the more I know about Dave's personality, at least the one he shows the world, the more I love him!!!

And yeah, someone sent me a link to the Iggy Pop news a couple weeks ago. From what the reviewer had seen, he didn't seem too impressed with the movie though.

Oh, is it done? I was under the impression they had just casted it!

Mrr. I'll see whether he does a decent Iggy Pop or not.

I just had another lovely happenstance of certain-family-member-invades-my-room-to-rant. Huzzah. Was drawing exciting things but they turned depressing. I hate being other peoples' psychiatrists unasked for.

Mrr. I'll see whether he does a decent Iggy Pop or not.

I just had another lovely happenstance of certain-family-member-invades-my-room-to-rant. Huzzah. Was drawing exciting things but they turned depressing. I hate being other peoples' psychiatrists unasked for.

It takes 12 years to become a psychiatrist. 9+ to become a psychologist. Unless they have that, you're probably safe to tell them to fuck off. :)

That would require me having done this since age 7 :laugh: (or age 10)

Can't, though. It's about a family member's death and other shit. I gotta wait til after the memorial (July) and until all this blows over.

Yeah, like people that age need to hobble around :p.

Ha, I turned 6. :lol:

:yes: And, from a few reviews of this and other live videos on YouTube: someone who was a meh fan went to the concert with friends, and came out a hufe fan of his.... dammit.

PF - Pink Floyd.

(9) THE WALL: Pink Floyd - Young Lust - YouTube

Woo for being young whippersnappers, or something :lol:.

Aww, wow, really? Well, that's not fair. I mean, it's cool when someone becomes a fan that way and everything, but you wonder why you, a true, diehard fan, aren't there instead, 'cause you would've been excited to go from the start.

Ohhh, okay. It didn't even occur to me that that would relate to Pink Floyd, I thought it was going to be some other singer with those initials or something. Did not know he went around doing a Pink Floyd cover, that's an interesting tidbit.

Party Time! :hyper:

WOO! *Tries to start up big ol' boogie dance, looks like an idiot, sits back down*

My cat is climbing all over my keyboard, so hopefully she hasn't created typos I'm not aware of (or professed a love of some lame-ass band, what a cat-like thing to do)...but yeah, I'm like your mom. Anything that exploded onto the scene, like Nirvana (although reading the history now, it wasn't exactly instant, even though it seemed to be at the time), I held instant contempt and disdain for. It was many years before I began to like Nirvana. But even still, I could recognize their significance in pop music.

Anyway, out of the ashes that was Nirvana rose the Foo Fighters, and I'm really glad for that, and happy for Dave Grohl, because he seems like a genuinely nice guy. I''m not sure that Nirvana would have had the staying power that the Foo Fighters have had.

I'm only a few years younger than what Kurt would have been, so I have my Hurrycane beside me.

I liked Pearl Jam better as well. Maybe I just identified with their music more. I remember it was a 3-legged race with PJ, Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins. They all had their debut album come out around the same time. Same for the all-important follow-up. And they were all different - but lumped into the same thing and set up to compete against one another. Not good for disenfranchised 20-something males dealing with mommy/daddy issues who join a band to sing about pain. There was a lot of contempt with one another.

I watched a Foo Fighters documentary and it's been a hard road for them as well. Different guitarists...drug abuse....depression. This new album seemed very cathartic for the band with songs like Walk and These Days. There was a song that Kris played bass on and it was produced by Butch Vig who produced Nevermind (and Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream and was in Garbage). It was like letting go of some past hurt.

:wave:

Hope you all are having a good day. :)

I'm pissed at my computer today. Seems I can no longer see you tube videos you guys post here anymore. :sigh: I've tried a zillion things like uninstalling and reinstalling browsers, plugins, etc etc bla, and nothing works. Maybe I just need a new computer. LOL.

pc or mac ? if pc, what antivir you got ?? I highly recommend Microsoft Essential if you dont already have it and do full scan :wave:

Comet :( I'm assuming it's nothing to do with flash player or anything bc that's probably the first thing you checked out aside from browsers.

I just discovered (well, not really) that the average introductory small talk is awkward. 'How are you doing this morning?' 'Fine...' /standard response I mean, it's not like I'd ever want to reply 'shitty' or 'amazing' because then I'd have to explain myself. Grahh.

I'm going to see kittens later once again...I'm not going to bother with those kids who haven't called me. It's probably better not to get in-depth social with the locals here. It's a lot of effort and kinda stressful to socialize with people who aren't younger than me, or art-school weird kids.

Thanks JJ and Katie. Unfortunately, that update is exactly what I think my problem is, except it was just yesterday it stopped working for me.

Also there was a new adobe flash update few days ago, just check if you got the latest one

Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

See that message about how 64 bit is not supported? Yeah that's what my system is. :sigh: It's weird because Adobe Flash has always said that, but it always worked for me anyway and was never a problem. So I did wonder if they did another new update that left me out. :|

Info:

Note: Flash Player 64 bit is not supported on Windows Vista 64 bit. On Windows Vista 64 bit, install Flash Player 32 bit.

and then try these:

IEhttp://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Other browsers http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player.exe

and if cant install, read this: Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows

:wave:

Thanks I will take a look. Yes I have Vista 64 bit, with Windows 6. Seems it will cost a lot to upgrade to Windows 7 which is supported.

I use Firefox. I really don't want to switch to IE because I have about 10 million bookmarks on Firefox that I use. :reject:

But that first thing sounds interesting, the "On Windows Vista 64 bit, install Flash Player 32 bit. " I'm still not too savvy on this stuff. Do you know how I do that? Should I just Google Flash Player 32 bit?

Back
Top Bottom