PGP: It's Beer O'Clock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well as i said i was there for the whole culture-changing events through the years...

and hope you read my post because of the serious qualifiers i have for them as a band ie lack of later touring

they have like 4 o 5 musical stages, and bunches of changes in style...so you'll have a selection to chose from somewhen in da future :D

Yepyep. I read through all that. I'm kind of a mix between liking bands for recorded material and live material. My main thing is just...they wrote good pop songs. Okay. People do that. There were other bands with less but probably similar material. I listen if they're played, I can watch movies about them, whatever. I'm just probably never gonna idolize them. I tend to be more about that with people than bands specifically anyhow...which is a tad unfortunate.

I have a tough time with feet/shoes, too. I wore nothing but Docs for years.

Hmm. That's not too bad. I need to get me some Docs. Sometime. Sometime.

I have high arches too, and flat shoes just feel WRONG. I also have wide feet, which excludes many pretty, feminine shoes. And then to top it off, I broke one of my baby toes when I was a kid, didn't even know at the time that I broke it, and it formed a hard bump on the side of it. So pretty much any shoes I get are agony till they eventually "give" a bit in the spot where the baby toe bump is. Over the years, I've wanted to amputate that toe SO many times. :angry:

Oh, and then this is a new thing! Over the past few years, if I kind of bend my feet, there is this small bone that I guess would sort of be the equivalent of a knuckle, on my upper foot, right by the small toe of each foot. And any pretty shoes I try to wear, they rub and irritate that area. It's like wtf, my former foot issues weren't enough? Stupid feet. :angry: That was one of the biggest issues with my pretty, pretty Christmas party shoes.

Whoa. *blink* Ow. Little bone thing sounds like...maybe bunion? No fun :(

Oh! For all you runners, my niece (the birthday girl), who has done several half marathons, is planning a full marathon for this October! :D It starts in Buffalo, then crosses the bridge/border crossing into Ontario, and goes to Niagara Falls. :) We joked about her having to stop at the outlet malls, of which there are many in that area, on her way back over. :lol:

Still no news about her test earlier this week. :( Not sure if that's good or bad. Trying to think positively, though.

Yepyep. I read through all that. I'm kind of a mix between liking bands for recorded material and live material. My main thing is just...they wrote good pop songs. Okay. People do that. There were other bands with less but probably similar material. I listen if they're played, I can watch movies about them, whatever. I'm just probably never gonna idolize them. I tend to be more about that with people than bands specifically anyhow...which is a tad unfortunate.

Hmm. That's not too bad. I need to get me some Docs. Sometime. Sometime.

Whoa. *blink* Ow. Little bone thing sounds like...maybe bunion? No fun :(

Isn't that what old people have? :scream: :(

Docs are AWESOME. :love: Expensive, but they last forever. I've had a pair for like 15 years now, and a lot of those years, I wore them daily.

Old people, and me. Grr.

:giggle: I just feel like I have everything but Docs. Got the acid'd jeans, check. Got too many band shirts, check. Teenager. All that stuff. And considering I basically wear sneakers with everything I shouldn't, I should one-up that with boots. Yes.

Cute picture, Thora :D.

My sister has a hard time finding comfortable shoes because she's got the same arch problem some of you do. It's really frustrating when you can't seem to find stuff that fits you just right, be it clothes or shoes, isn't it? Maybe we should just open up our own shoe/clothing store :p.

Thanks Angela. :hug: The one saving grace is that my manager was aware of the whole saga all the way through, and she backed me up 100%.

I swear, 90% of the people I work with from agencies are kids fresh from school, they think the know EVERYTHING, and I just want to shake them and send them to their rooms without dinner.

:lol: I understand that, yes. Smart move on your manager's part, though, it's always really nice when they stick up for you. My mom always used to hate it at some of her jobs when her manager would try and appease the customer/take their side instead of abide by the store policy like my mom was trying to do. She said she hated the smug look customers would get then, it always made her feel like the customer was like, "See, I was right after all, you don't know what you're doing."

Oddly, it's almost upsetting that it doesn't hurt as much as it used to. It's like the pain and rawness made me feel closer to him, and it sort of upsets me that that's not there as much now.

...this worries me. I kinda hope I never get to that point in regards to my dad. I still feel particularly connected to him whenever I listen to music, especially if it's something we both liked or he liked, so hopefully that will be able to keep that closeness going.

:hug: to Dazz.

Dazzled, aw. :hug: I'm so sorry. In some ways it gets easier as time goes on, and in some ways it never leaves you. My dad has been gone for...holy shit, 14 years now.

Oddly, it's almost upsetting that it doesn't hurt as much as it used to. It's like the pain and rawness made me feel closer to him, and it sort of upsets me that that's not there as much now.

well w that nasty bitch roommate ... i never got to properly grieve for me- which would have involved much more wailing and crying early on... but i couldn't because she would have come down the hallway and bang on my closed door to STFU!

then 14 months later my friend of 30 yrs died. couldn't grieve properly for her either! ThenI when moved 2 months later after that was so busy with that i didn't have the time and i guess i would of felt being a new tenant not wanting to disturb the neighbors.
sSo i think that plays a part of it. And they other is i bottled up my feelings so much for decades concerning my mom and then my dad's chronic, acute conditions waaay before they even got to 65 at least -- that i've swung the other way....having to get out some raw feeling reaction right away!

wow 14 yrs for your dad! :hug: wow i forgot illness? Accident?

1 yr in about 2 weeks for my dad

Oh, ouch, that toe thing sounds painful, VP! :(

Oh! For all you runners, my niece (the birthday girl), who has done several half marathons, is planning a full marathon for this October! :D It starts in Buffalo, then crosses the bridge/border crossing into Ontario, and goes to Niagara Falls. :) We joked about her having to stop at the outlet malls, of which there are many in that area, on her way back over. :lol:

Still no news about her test earlier this week. :( Not sure if that's good or bad. Trying to think positively, though.

That sounds cool! :up:

When we run our marathon, my mom is probably not going to run it (she has issues with her feet, and just can't run as much as she used to). We've joked that she needs to be at certain points along the route with Mai Tai's for us. :lol: The marathon we'll be running is the Honolulu one, btw. :)

Still thinking good thoughts for her!

VP—that foot on the right, big toe? that thing where it's leaning in? sort of knobby thing. that's a bunion. (~4 years ago, it's a bit bigger now)

206395_1026188529604_4475_n.jpg

One of these summers it's gonna be not travel, not socializing but yaaay, foot surgery.

In my experience, many young people grasp on to things from the past, and idolize, like you say, and overanalyze, and just make it plain tiresome. Maybe once you're away from those people, and that sort of influence, you can listen to it with fresh ears, and come to your own conclusion. And for gods sake, stay away from internet know-it-alls, that can ruin any band or listening experience before you even start.

The Beatles are before my era, but my brother is 13 years older than me, so he made sure I was well versed in that era (I'm more of a late 70s - 80s kid, those were my formative years). What pisses me off now is how internet hipsters totally discount the early Beatles catalogue. As you say, they have some AMAZING pop songs, and their importance shouldn't be overlooked. They may seem quaint now, but they were innovative for the time.

For the record, I don't idolize any of them, and the whole John Lennon idolization in particular pisses me off. From stuff I've read (in my early teens, I read a shitton of Beatles bios) John sounds like an asshole who was barely tolerable and abusive to woman. I do like Paul though. Ringo is...Ringo. Sadly, almost a non-entity. George with his Eastern philosophy was kind of...out there. But yeah, they're just a group of boys who got together at the right time in history, and honed their skills tremendously by playing a bazillion Cavern Club shows, and became a very tight, talented band.

^^First of all - I love the fuschia color on your nails. And 2nd, I have one of those too :angry: You mean if it gets bigger you need surgery? I have not been told this. yuck. I got mine when I started running.

Bah - you guys put in 4 pages while I was making ShrinkyDinks!

ETA

VP i felt so guilty at first when the mostly constant emotional pain re my mom started finally to wax & wane....

i was like ...."do i love her less, now, b/c i'm no longer practically in constant emotion turmoil/pain" ?

of course i had been saying to myself for about 3 years prior that when she died she wouldn't want me to be in such pain for so long!

Old people, and me. Grr.

:giggle: I just feel like I have everything but Docs. Got the acid'd jeans, check. Got too many band shirts, check. Teenager. All that stuff. And considering I basically wear sneakers with everything I shouldn't, I should one-up that with boots. Yes.

eBay....seriously. I own a plethora of Docs (yes, you are all shocked) and most of them recently have been purchased from eBay.

VP — Whoa. I didn't even know the internet hipsters liked the Beatles. Or hated the early Beatles. Isn't that kind of a conundrum? I thought earlier stuff was supposed to be hipster friendly. Oh well.

Nah, I've just experienced various high school kids' and parents' music history ineptitude. That's what did it to me.

I'm going to blaspheme here. I think of the Beatles in the same way I think of some punk bands...you know. Vaguely formulaic for the most part. Catchy, perhaps revolutionary, but yeah.

Dazz— :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm personally of the mindset of

of course i had been saying to myself for about 3 years prior that when she died she wouldn't want me to be in such pain for so long!

that sort of thing. Don't feel bad.

1> i would never "ask", expect, "demand" that you idolize them! :)

2> and in their latter part of their musical years created other kinds of songs besides great pop songs. :D

eBay....seriously. I own a plethora of Docs (yes, you are all shocked) and most of them recently have been purchased from eBay.

Not shocked in the slightest. And huzzah! Were they new ones? I'd feel kind of iffy about used close-toed shoes...

1> i would never "ask", expect, "demand" that you idolize them! :)

2> and in their latter part of their musical years created other kinds of songs besides great pop songs. :D

1) :p Didn't think so, heh. 2) I generalize. They've got other categories, such as weird/trippy, protest, etc.

^^First of all - I love the fuschia color on your nails. And 2nd, I have one of those too :angry: You mean if it gets bigger you need surgery? I have not been told this. yuck. I got mine when I started running.

Bah - you guys put in 4 pages while I was making ShrinkyDinks!

Bunions run in our family. I'm Doc and Chuck Taylors kind of girl. I never really wore heels much because of bunions. My left foot has one - not too too bad. But when I was training for the marathon, my feet swelled from a 7.5 running shie to a 8.5 running shoe. And I have to get a running shoe with minimal cross stitching across the big toe. I thought I had a fractured foot once during one of my training runs for Boston. Not what you want 6 weeks out from the big race.

VP, your niece rocks. If she's running half marathons and thinking of a marathon, she's a tough cookie already.

unfortunately some young people get them, too! :(

Flip flops. (culprit for mine)

Kill them with fire.

(I miss them!)

Edit. Zu, I'm just getting surgery for mine bc it's getting painful to walk. It's more of a problem if you're older (so I've been told by my mom) pain wise, I'm just a bit of a wuss. Also I want to be able to wear normal people shoes.

Cute picture, Thora : D.

My sister has a hard time finding comfortable shoes because she's got the same arch problem some of you do. It's really frustrating when you can't seem to find stuff that fits you just right, be it clothes or shoes, isn't it? Maybe we should just open up our own shoe/clothing store : p.

: lol: I understand that, yes. Smart move on your manager's part, though, it's always really nice when they stick up for you. My mom always used to hate it at some of her jobs when her manager would try and appease the customer/take their side instead of abide by the store policy like my mom was trying to do. She said she hated the smug look customers would get then, it always made her feel like the customer was like, "See, I was right after all, you don't know what you're doing."

...this worries me. I kinda hope I never get to that point in regards to my dad. I still feel particularly connected to him whenever I listen to music, especially if it's something we both liked or he liked, so hopefully that will be able to keep that closeness going.

: hug: to Dazz.

Thanks for the work support. I forwarded the voice mail to my manager, and went into her office, and she rolled her eyes through it, and said she'd call her back on speakerphone with me there. She did, and got the girl's voice mail. She was far more apologetic and conciliatory than I would have been, but I suppose that's the best way to be with clients...I was pretty frazzled by that time, and not sure I could have been civil to her. But I guess the fact that she knows the girl is completely unreasonable and wrong makes up for that.

You'll always have things that make you remember him. :hug:

well w that nasty bitch roommate ... i never got to properly grieve for me- which would have involved much more wailing and crying early on... but i couldn't because she would have come down the hallway and bang on my closed door to STFU!

then 14 months later my friend of 30 yrs died. couldn't grieve properly for her either! ThenI when moved 2 months later after that was so busy with that i didn't have the time and i guess i would of felt being a new tenant not wanting to disturb the neighbors.
sSo i think that plays a part of it. And they other is i bottled up my feelings so much for decades concerning my mom and then my dad's chronic, acute conditions waaay before they even got to 65 at least -- that i've swung the other way....having to get out some raw feeling reaction right away!

wow 14 yrs for your dad! :hug: wow i forgot illness? Accident?

1 yr in about 2 weeks for my dad

That's too bad about your roommate. :(

I haven't really talked about my dad much on here, it was very painful and felt very personal. I'll put it under a spoiler tag in my next post, and then after you read it, I'll delete it.

Oh, ouch, that toe thing sounds painful, VP! :(

That sounds cool! :up:

When we run our marathon, my mom is probably not going to run it (she has issues with her feet, and just can't run as much as she used to). We've joked that she needs to be at certain points along the route with Mai Tai's for us. :lol: The marathon we'll be running is the Honolulu one, btw. :)

Still thinking good thoughts for her!

Thanks for your thoughts. :hug:

VP—that foot on the right, big toe? that thing where it's leaning in? sort of knobby thing. that's a bunion. (~4 years ago, it's a bit bigger now)

206395_1026188529604_4475_n.jpg

One of these summers it's gonna be not travel, not socializing but yaaay, foot surgery.

That looks horrible! :( Feet. :madwife: I just googled mine, and there is something on the small toe that`s called a `bunionette. How adorable and diminutive. :cute: I think that`s what mine might be, although it`s not as bad as some of the pictures look, mine`s still really tiny. :shudder:

:laugh: Bunionette...

It's like the fashionable version or something! Oh man. That name.

You'll be fine, VP :)

They were used. But as the ultra-indie chick from the 90's when shopping in thrift stores was THE thing (I did it because I was po) used things do not phase me. Shoes included. Besides, they did all the hard work for me. They broke them in for me.

Okay, back in the day I worked on a very hip street where there was a store that sold Docs. They would discount the discontinued ones. I had every color under the sun. And John Fluevogs. They were not as comfortable.

Flip flops. (culprit for mine)

Kill them with fire.

(I miss them!)

Edit. Zu, I'm just getting surgery for mine bc it's getting painful to walk. It's more of a problem if you're older (so I've been told by my mom) pain wise, I'm just a bit of a wuss. Also I want to be able to wear normal people shoes.

Gotcha - I still wear Chuck Taylors and Docs and flip flops and 3" heels :shrug:
GR, some running shoes have "bunion breathing holes"... meshy parts that give your bunions room.

This is an awesome conversation to be having on a Saturday night, btw. :giggle:

Hokay. I will probably search for new ones and break them in slowly. The amount of walking I do...ever...when inside is minimal...

Oh yeah. Best conversation. I do need to give my brain a break from the usual though. Summer makes me think on overdrive. Too much about places I'm not at.

Back
Top Bottom