PGP- It's A Wild Zoo in Vegas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, really? What don't you like about it? Or rather, what do you like less about it?

I dunno. I can hear Billie Joe trying too hard to recreate the awesomeness that was American Idiot. Plus they rip off their own melodies and riffs, which I could see if they were trying to do a throwback to their older stuff, but Billie Joe seemed to be pushing it as Shiny, Original and New. Basically, Billie's trying to be Pete Townshend when he's barely Peter Tork.

Ha! at the Pete Tork reference.

I HATED the first single. HATED. I read people on here saying that it was the worst song on the record, the same as many felt about GOYB, but seriously, what's the motivation for a record company to put the worst song out as a lead single? None. It's crazy to think this is a "strategy." I wasn't that big a fan of American Idiot though, so you can't go by me. I prefer their earlier punk-pop stuff.

That said, I'm happy for the band, that they achieved bigger success with AI...I don't think they would have survived otherwise. They just don't feel like my band, anymore.

I like the second single more, but it's a fairly blatant rehash of Holiday and Welcome to Paradise. I asked another fan of their older stuff to listen to it without me saying anything, and they said the same thing.

I'm also a fan of Blink 182. I like juvenile punk-pop. :shrug:

Know Your Enemy? I accidentally skipped that song the first time I listened to the album in full and didn't miss it. Didn't notice that I'd skipped it, actually. So there is that.

I saw them do only one interview for this, on The Colbert Report, and I gauge my reaction to it a bit on the band itself and how they act. For AI, they were totally excited cause they done something huge and it ended up being huge. Mike looked uncomfortable, Billie clearly had his head so far up his own ass, he could've licked the back of his throat, and Tré, though hyper and random as usual, seemed bored. And when I saw them live, the performances for the new stuff were lackluster. They had so much MORE fun playing their older stuff and the crowd seemed to enjoy it a hell of a lot more. I mean, I was so far out of paying attention to the title track and so was Tré that we had a face-pulling contest. Their trying-much-too-hard bonus track cover of The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" that has little to nothing to do with the rest of the album cements the fact that Billie desperately wants to be Pete Townshend, imo. I hope he pulls his head out of his ass soon, otherwise we'll lose him completely.

Also, he dresses like a hipster now and I want to punch him in the face.

No, East Jesus Nowhere is what I'm talking about. Maybe there was another single I'd missed?

Aw, I think Billie Joe is adorable, no matter what hipster movement he affects. :lol:

It's hard to explain. Well, maybe not to you, but the Bang and Clatter crowd definitely wouldn't get it. American Idiot was okay to me, but not great. It just seemed weird to hear a bunch of 30-something, fairly successful men sing about the disenfranchisement of youth. And the latest album showed no growth, that I've seen or heard. I still hold out hope, though. :)

All that said though, I'm happy they're achieving mainstream success, I really do think they deserve it, even if they're moving away from the Green Day I prefer. :) Unlike many around here, I recognize that bands don't need to cater to me...

No, East Jesus Nowhere is what I'm talking about. Maybe there was another single I'd missed?

Aw, I think Billie Joe is adorable, no matter what hipster movement he affects. :lol:

It's hard to explain. Well, maybe not to you, but the Bang and Clatter crowd definitely wouldn't get it. American Idiot was okay to me, but not great. It just seemed weird to hear a bunch of 30-something, fairly successful men sing about the disenfranchisement of youth. And the latest album showed no growth, that I've seen or heard. I still hold out hope, though. :)

All that said though, I'm happy they're achieving mainstream success, I really do think they deserve it, even if they're moving away from the Green Day I prefer. :) Unlike many around here, I recognize that bands don't need to cater to me...
Oh, East Jesus Nowhere is their third single, after the pre-release of Know Your Enemy and the token-ballad 21 Guns.

I love random, weird, brilliant Joe. Modern Joe just bores me. I wish he'd forget he doesn't have to say anything! Just write songs, ffs! What do King For A Day or Prosthetic Head have to do with anything? Nothing! (nimrod.:love:) It's like he's forgotten how to have fun.

American Idiot is my favourite album. I've listened to it so much, (I wore out my first copy of the CD :shifty: ) I feel like it's a part of me. And I am always hearing a new harmonic or drum beat or other nuance whenever I listen to it.

I'm happy that they're successful, too. And I don't expect them to pander to me, either. I just don't want to outgrow them, you know? I mean, I'll always love Tré. I bought all 8 albums with Lookouts songs on them, ffs.

I think I've just found another reason to dislike 21CB. Tré's drums are not (as) prominent (as I'd like them). I can barely hear his kick drum, where on AI, his drums were crisp and clear. The album seems to be mixed to have the guitars as loud as possible with an undercurrent of bass and drums. And, doesn't feel like Mike's even trying. He's just phoning in the same melody as Jason and Billie. Boring, Michael. I have to concede that it seems Billie did learn something from The Edge from TSAC collaboration, which is good.

I had to disown blink-182, especially my beloved Hoppus.

They're at the Walk On/Mask portion of the show now. I have the most awesome pic of Sarah, but she'd kill me if I posted it. I've been warned not to. :uhoh:

:shifty:

:shifty:

:flirt:

:lol:

It was creepy seeing the masks on the people who put them on backwards.

I know! Especially when you least expect it...in the dark....with that smoke....

All you need is horror music....

That's actually not a bad idea. Or fly to Buffalo and take a train/bus to Toronto, then back to Buffalo and fly home. :hmm: I really really want to make it up there and FINALLY meet you!

I vote for this. :hyper:

Oh and Wild: sorry if I didn't sound happy for you and Zooey. I was thrilled for you gals! But I had a sucky night at work. Zooey called right after a table left a pamphlet that said "More than a tip," with info about Jesus. This was in place of a tip. I think Jesus would have wanted them to leave $5. :| So yeah, it was bad timing. But my not-so-happy voice was not jealously of anything. :hug:

LOL. Are you frickin serious? That's just batshit crazy.

Oh and Wild: sorry if I didn't sound happy for you and Zooey. I was thrilled for you gals! But I had a sucky night at work. Zooey called right after a table left a pamphlet that said "More than a tip," with info about Jesus. This was in place of a tip. I think Jesus would have wanted them to leave $5. :| So yeah, it was bad timing. But my not-so-happy voice was not jealously of anything. :hug:

Hey that's ok hun, we didn't think that you were jealous at all, you not like that :love: and poor Lanny :hug:

We wished you girls could have been there too:hug:

Oh and Ruff was there too :hyper::love:

Back
Top Bottom