PGP: I'm Dreaming of a U2 Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went from a period in 04 - 07 where I rediscovered the band and listened to pretty much nothing but U2. Since then, I've had to be a little more careful that I don't burn out. This past year...maybe 2? I've listened to very little, except what I incidentally hear on the radio (which is actually quite a lot, U2 is played pretty heavily on our classic rock stations). Tonight I'm all "are you nuts?? you could have been listening to them all along!! Must. Pull. Out. All. B-sides..."

Yeah, I go through that sort of thing sometimes, too. Not just with U2, but any artist I like. I get all obsessive about them and listen to them a ridiculous amount of times, then I need a bit of a break, I go and check out other artists and fall in love with them during said break, and then one day I just get an urge to go back and listen to U2 or whatever other artist I've been a longtime fan of and the obsessive cycle starts all up again.

It's kinda fun to do one of those "rediscovery" periods, it's like you're back to the first days of your fandom all over again. Except now you're going, "Ohhh, yeah, I remember why I love these guys so much!"

:shifty: I'm a summer person; I enjoy the heat (sort of why I like living in the desert), but winter in the mountains is just FUN.

Ooooo.... Showtime OnDemand has Valkyrie. :love:

Yes. Yes, it is. Those are the big things I miss about Colorado, the weather was practically to my liking and the mountains were so pretty, and when they had snow on them the scenery was even more gorgeous.

I'm not much of a summer person, mainly because I don't like extremely hot weather. In Iowa not only is it hot, but it's also generally humid, so that's a FUN combination right there (summer in the mountains was definitely more tolerable overall in that regard). And also because being an adult means you don't get "summer vacation" the way you did as a kid :wink:.

But I'll take summer over spring, because when I think of spring in Iowa I think of severe thunderstorms and that sort of thing. I can't help it, my paranoia about that stuff spikes when spring rolls around.

Never saw 'Valkyrie'. I've heard generally good things about it...

Yeah, I go through that sort of thing sometimes, too. Not just with U2, but any artist I like. I get all obsessive about them and listen to them a ridiculous amount of times, then I need a bit of a break, I go and check out other artists and fall in love with them during said break, and then one day I just get an urge to go back and listen to U2 or whatever other artist I've been a longtime fan of and the obsessive cycle starts all up again.

It's kinda fun to do one of those "rediscovery" periods, it's like you're back to the first days of your fandom all over again. Except now you're going, "Ohhh, yeah, I remember why I love these guys so much!"

U2 will always be my favourite band. But in the past few years, Arcade Fire are a very close second. As far as older bands go, I've been on a ginormous Who kick for the past few years (and Sarah got me Who tickets for Christmas, woot!!). Trying to think of more. Foo Fighters? Third Eye Blind? Blue Rodeo? It's not like I've discovered a shitload of new bands. Most new bands bore me, sadly. :(

Yes. Yes, it is. Those are the big things I miss about Colorado, the weather was practically to my liking and the mountains were so pretty, and when they had snow on them the scenery was even more gorgeous.

I'm not much of a summer person, mainly because I don't like extremely hot weather. In Iowa not only is it hot, but it's also generally humid, so that's a FUN combination right there (summer in the mountains was definitely more tolerable overall in that regard). And also because being an adult means you don't get "summer vacation" the way you did as a kid :wink:.

But I'll take summer over spring, because when I think of spring in Iowa I think of severe thunderstorms and that sort of thing. I can't help it, my paranoia about that stuff spikes when spring rolls around.

Never saw 'Valkyrie'. I've heard generally good things about it...

My official favorite season is fall, because it can still get hot, but majority of the time I can wear a longsleeve shirt. But I love winter for the same reasons you just said: mountains + snow = :love:

Also: Valkyrie is a good movie. Has 2 of my crushes I mentioned over in TSB.... :shifty:

U2 will always be my favourite band. But in the past few years, Arcade Fire are a very close second. As far as older bands go, I've been on a ginormous Who kick for the past few years (and Sarah got me Who tickets for Christmas, woot!!). Trying to think of more. Foo Fighters? Third Eye Blind? Blue Rodeo? It's not like I've discovered a shitload of new bands. Most new bands bore me, sadly. :(
I don't like listening to new music and usually don't, with the exception of a few bands.

:reject:

My official favorite season is fall, because it can still get hot, but majority of the time I can wear a longsleeve shirt. But I love winter for the same reasons you just said: mountains + snow = :love:

Also: Valkyrie is a good movie. Has 2 of my crushes I mentioned over in TSB.... :shifty:

Fall is lovely. Weather's cool but not freezing, the leaves are changing and it looks all pretty...

...and my birthday's in the fall. So, woo :p.

Ooh. Two crushes in the same movie, can't beat that. I'm sure you noted them in that thread, but I'm blanking on who the two you mention are now.

(I like that thread, by the way. Such a wide variety of men showing up-our tastes run all over the place, don't they?)

There's new music I like out there, and new-ish, so to speak, artists I've been getting into (I've been addicted like mad to Gotye and all the stuff he's done for a number of months now, for instance). However, most of them are "new" in the sense that they're just now getting attention here in the States and in the mainstream. But they've actually been making music for a number of years (again, Gotye fits in here-he's been in the music business for about 10 years now, with solo works and with a band he used to be in), so they're old in that regard.

Still, though, yeah, most of my favorite artists are ones I've been a fan of and who've been around for at least 10 years or more (or who broke up long ago :p), too. Nothing wrong with that, it happens-mostly just a side effect of growing out of the age bracket that most new music tends to be targeted at, I think.

If I had to pick my "close second" artist...hmmm. I'd say it'd probably have to be Neil Finn. I've been a fan of him for a good number of years now and his music is special to me in many of the same ways U2's music is special to me.

Downloaded sleep recorder app to my phone last night just for fun. It records sounds at night when you sleep and doesnt record silence, easy to listen back

who the hell are these people I´m talking bout in my sleep

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Totally gonna try the sleep recorder-app. :lol: :lol:
Sounds like fun, and I don't dream often but when I do , I dream weird. so must be interesting.

I've heard that I talk in my sleep, not sure if I want to record this. :uhoh: Or it would probably record my cat snoring, lmao, then I would get the blame.

I heard Arcade Fire was coming out with a new album this year too. I think I'm more excited about that. I loved them when they opened for U2 in Moncton and wished I saw them on their own. Foo Fighters are a big one in our family. My husband and I have differing ideas on music, but we meet in the middle about the Foo. Have you seen their documentary? It's interesting and funny.

I have to admit that a small number of bands hold my interest much this days. Passion Pit are interesting, but it all sounds the same. We have Sirius in the car and I used to listen to the alt music channel - but all the bands sound the same - like they wished they were born in the 80's. It's all really overproduced. It's not bad, just not interesting for more than 2 minutes. We replaced the Christmas channel on our presets with the 70's channel.

Fall is lovely. Weather's cool but not freezing, the leaves are changing and it looks all pretty...

...and my birthday's in the fall. So, woo :p.
:up:

Ooh. Two crushes in the same movie, can't beat that. I'm sure you noted them in that thread, but I'm blanking on who the two you mention are now.

(I like that thread, by the way. Such a wide variety of men showing up-our tastes run all over the place, don't they?)
Kenneth Branagh and Thomas Kretschmann. :shifty: They're not in it a whole lot, and there is more Kenneth than Thomas, but yea... war movie. *loves war movies*

Also, Thomas is wet and shirtless in one scene. :combust:

(It's a great thread! Because of that place, I now appreciate some men I never knew existed before :shifty:)

There's new music I like out there, and new-ish, so to speak, artists I've been getting into (I've been addicted like mad to Gotye and all the stuff he's done for a number of months now, for instance). However, most of them are "new" in the sense that they're just now getting attention here in the States and in the mainstream. But they've actually been making music for a number of years (again, Gotye fits in here-he's been in the music business for about 10 years now, with solo works and with a band he used to be in), so they're old in that regard.

Still, though, yeah, most of my favorite artists are ones I've been a fan of and who've been around for at least 10 years or more (or who broke up long ago :p), too. Nothing wrong with that, it happens-mostly just a side effect of growing out of the age bracket that most new music tends to be targeted at, I think.

If I had to pick my "close second" artist...hmmm. I'd say it'd probably have to be Neil Finn. I've been a fan of him for a good number of years now and his music is special to me in many of the same ways U2's music is special to me.
I know what ya mean about the music age thing. Most bands I like broke up a long time ago... though a couple have since reformed.

As for "new" bands, I really like Mumford & Sons a lot. :love:

Mumford & Sons :love::love::love:

At least you live in a big city, so if any bands do come through, you still have a means to see many of them and a lot of big names come around and all that good stuff. I've lived in small towns or smaller-sized cities, All the big, cool, exciting, varied music-related stuff doesn't happen where I live, so if I want to see anything that isn't, say, local bands or '80s hair bands doing the nostalgia circuit or something like that, I have to drive two, three hours or so away for it. And when you don't have the money on you nor the means to get to concerts and that, it can, like with your lack of proper internet access, be kind of frustrating.

i hear that, definately. :hug:

but possibly at sometime one or more of your local band just may become either a real undiscovered jewel orfound and named "up & coming" rising stars! Def try to find really good local bands thatb you like.

And remember all the great bands did start out as a "local band" in their neighborhood/town/city etc That what happened to Talking Heads, Telivision, The Patti Smith Group, Blondie ....
CBGB's was a local (originally Country, BlueGrass) Club that these bands asked to play in!

and speaking of....

My sis & I were returning ro Manhattan from our NJ cousins one night earlier this year. It was clear and Manhattan all glittery mid/downtown. I asked do tyou ever get amazed that you (we) were born in a World City!
She said.. no.....

but ...I do!

To me The World Cities would be like NYC, (posssibly Chicago, maybe SF}, London, Berlin, Paris,Moscow, possibly Accra (of Ghana) <sp>Narobi (of Kenya), /or JoBerg (So Africa), Cairo, <sp>Constantinopol, New Delhi, Bejing, Tokyo, Sydney....

VP! :wave: nice to see you drop in. :hug:

oh cool Sarah got youn Who tix!
My sis & I were watcing bthe 12.12.12 concert.... when the Who were on nd and they did a close-up of Pete's strumming the opening chords to Pinball Wizard.....she sighed and said...aaaah, i forgot how great they sound live. She'd thought of getting tix for the Quadrophrenia concert, but didn't.
i seriously thought about it until realized i'd gone throigh most of my $ from my share of moms "modest" (by overall stats) inheretance to me and my sis.

you must tell us after how you enjoyed it! Love Quadrophrenia!

AF quite impressive! Remember i stood outside a theatre and heard the the show (in the ? "Wake Up" days)
I've had no luck seeing the Foo Fighters. either i had too little $ or this past early Fall when i had they weren't around.

i've heard newish (in past 5 yrs) to new bands i've been impressed with their music /singing and also lyrics that go beyond age set (if in early 20's or so). or if in the age set are very lyrically, insightfully o/r wittily writen.
This week maybe i'll google up a bunch and catch more of thier music.

:wave: Me! Hey, Dazz!

Kenneth Branagh and Thomas Kretschmann. :shifty: They're not in it a whole lot, and there is more Kenneth than Thomas, but yea... war movie. *loves war movies*

Also, Thomas is wet and shirtless in one scene. :combust:

(It's a great thread! Because of that place, I now appreciate some men I never knew existed before :shifty:)

Ah, right, okay. Yeah, I've seen some photos of them-very nice indeed! And men wet and shirtless...you can't beat that :drool: :combust:.

Exactly, same here! 'Cause, after all, who among us wasn't thinking, "Y'know, I don't think my list of celebrity crushes is nearly long enough..." :lol:?

But yeah, seriously, there are indeed some HOT men in that thread. You ladies have pretty good taste in men.

I know what ya mean about the music age thing. Most bands I like broke up a long time ago... though a couple have since reformed.

Yeah, a couple I like have reformed, too, or at least they do the occasional get-together. But still, curse not being old enough at the right time *Shakes fist*! Eh, well. At least many of the people in said bands are still making music of their own and doing other projects, so it's not like I have nothing new from them to hear or check out. If that were the case, then that would REALLY suck.

(I like the stuff I've heard by Arcade Fire, too, by the way. Very good band.)

i hear that, definately. :hug:

but possibly at sometime one or more of your local band just may become either a real undiscovered jewel orfound and named "up & coming" rising stars! Def try to find really good local bands thatb you like.

And remember all the great bands did start out as a "local band" in their neighborhood/town/city etc That what happened to Talking Heads, Telivision, The Patti Smith Group, Blondie ....
CBGB's was a local (originally Country, BlueGrass) Club that these bands asked to play in!

This is all very true, good point! So far the local music I've seemed to come across has consisted of cover bands and the occasional guy with a guitar that shows up at our local coffeeshop, but they haven't been too bad from what I've heard and like you said, you never know. If I find a local band that grabs my interest, though, yes, I'll be more than happy to support 'em.

It's so weird to think at one time groups like Blondie or the Talking Heads were at "local band" status. But you gotta start somewhere, right?

and speaking of....

My sis & I were returning ro Manhattan from our NJ cousins one night earlier this year. It was clear and Manhattan all glittery mid/downtown. I asked do tyou ever get amazed that you (we) were born in a World City!
She said.. no.....

but ...I do!

To me The World Cities would be like NYC, (posssibly Chicago, maybe SF}, London, Berlin, Paris,Moscow, possibly Accra (of Ghana) <sp>Narobi (of Kenya), /or JoBerg (So Africa), Cairo, <sp>Constantinopol, New Delhi, Bejing, Tokyo, Sydney....

"World City". I like that description. There's a ton of cities in your list there I'd give anything to visit someday. I just want to have a nice chunk of money and do some world traveling. Get out and about and see the world, and all that good stuff.

Oh my god ! Its snowing here! Finally!!:loveshower:
Going out to take pictures after lunch!

Yeah, a couple I like have reformed, too, or at least they do the occasional get-together. But still, curse not being old enough at the right time *Shakes fist*! Eh, well. At least many of the people in said bands are still making music of their own and doing other projects, so it's not like I have nothing new from them to hear or check out. If that were the case, then that would REALLY suck.

(I like the stuff I've heard by Arcade Fire, too, by the way. Very good band.)

This is all very true, good point! So far the local music I've seemed to come across has consisted of cover bands and the occasional guy with a guitar that shows up at our local coffeeshop, but they haven't been too bad from what I've heard and like you said, you never know. If I find a local band that grabs my interest, though, yes, I'll be more than happy to support 'em.

It's so weird to think at one time groups like Blondie or the Talking Heads were at "local band" status. But you gotta start somewhere, right?

"World City". I like that description. There's a ton of cities in your list there I'd give anything to visit someday. I just want to have a nice chunk of money and do some world traveling. Get out and about and see the world, and all that good stuff.

I was wondering whether you were going to say they're all cover bands, and maybe these guitarists will improve/have a decent voice or hook up with other musicians etc.
Plus maybe some of the cover bands will start writing their own stuff, too!

Well, I was just about finishing up at college (end of May 74) when those bands- Television, Richard Hell & the Void Oids, Blondie, Patti Smith group <Talking Heads were a little later?> ) started playing at CBGB's in late March, early-mid April 1974. CBGB's was literally 6 blocks south of my college.

Being consumed with that, and by Aug job-hunting I wasn't walking down The Bowery. It wasn't something one in general would normally do unless you lived near there on 2nd, 1st Ave, 7th - 2 nd St. Maybe more east and north too. And I think most of those people did.

So i started hearing about them through The Village Voice, Soho Weekly News and a free-form DJ still allowed to work on a big back then famous FM NYC Rock station is where I heard Patti's and Television's first Indie singles Piss Factory (Patti), Little Johnny Jewel (Televsion). Loved PF, hated LJJ! I got messed up for a few months in '75 l but worked my way out of it and finally went to CB's in ?late 75, early 76.

Meanwhile in ?75 TPG debuted their 1ST Big Record Company album - Horses. The Bottom Line Club was where a lot of new bands played their first albums, and sometimes Sophomore albums for the Music Industry and fans. So that's where I saw TPG first time, and Television with their 1st Marque Moon. I did see Patti at CB's later on, same for Talking Heads and The Ramones. My sis , I & friends like saw Blondie at some industry's get together as well.

And I watched each of these bands get bigger over the years!! It was a thrill to see them play to bigger and bigger audiences and bigger venues.
Television was the only one to brake up early.
----------------------------------

:lol::reject::lol: OMG I can't believe ( I was sooo tired) I called Istanbul it's older name - Constantinople!! :lmao:

Even before Paris I'd like to get to Istanbul because besides of it's gorgeous mosques, and parks/gardens AND you can get a Round Trip Tour Bus to Cairo and THE Pyramids!

Those are the 2 cities I'd like to get to, besides home country> Chicago, Seattle and back to SF.

Get to save those pennies up, and you might get to a few of them, ML!

No snow here in west-central Indiana USA, but we got freezing rain yesterday afternoon that completely encased my car in ice. MrPurrl managed to Hulk open the driver's door, and we started it and let it run for about half an hour. Then we could get the other doors and the tailgate open. Right now it is 19F degrees with a low of 14 predicted for tonight. I'm glad I didn't have to go out today. I only woke up coughing uncontrollably one time during my sleep cycle, and that is a *vast* improvement!

I don't care if it snows where I live....all I know is that it's cold out here too :hug:

:hug:

No snow here in west-central Indiana USA, but we got freezing rain yesterday afternoon that completely encased my car in ice. MrPurrl managed to Hulk open the driver's door, and we started it and let it run for about half an hour. Then we could get the other doors and the tailgate open. Right now it is 19F degrees with a low of 14 predicted for tonight. I'm glad I didn't have to go out today. I only woke up coughing uncontrollably one time during my sleep cycle, and that is a *vast* improvement!

That's one thing I don't miss about living in that part of Indiana: freezing rain :crack:.

Update for GR: I was able to get my MIT Tech magazine at Barnes &Noble so you don't need to save me one. Also my store still only had the old Empire copy so no luck yet on that.

Back
Top Bottom