PGP: I came, I saw, ....I rocked the Casbah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: I can't help but think of that "Family Guy" bit every time I hear "Rocket Man" now. Ah, Stewie...

That is SO cool!! I'm guessing your parents are probably around the same age as my brother and sister. I love Buddy Holly so, so much. Got that from my sister, who, like your mom, was into more "cheesy" music, and for her, Buddy Holly was an oldies artist. But I've loved him big time since I first heard him. Amazing, and anyone who thinks he's too "old" is missing out. And an idiot. :wink:

My mom was born in '56, my dad in '57 (he's sadly no longer around, though). Anywhere close :p?

Yeah, Buddy Holly is awesome. He had some excellent songs-"Peggy Sue" and "True Love Ways" being my particular favorites (love the galloping music in the former, and the latter song is just so gorgeous). And to think, he was just barely into his 20s when he came out with that stuff. Incredible.

:lol: I can't help but think of that "Family Guy" bit every time I hear "Rocket Man" now. Ah, Stewie...

My mom was born in '56, my dad in '57 (he's sadly no longer around, though). Anywhere close :p?

Yeah, Buddy Holly is awesome. He had some excellent songs-"Peggy Sue" and "True Love Ways" being my particular favorites (love the galloping music in the former, and the latter song is just so gorgeous). And to think, he was just barely into his 20s when he came out with that stuff. Incredible.

Close, they were both born in the mid-50s! :) My mom didnt have me till much later, when she was 40, I was her surprise baby, as she likes to put it, although I'm sure she was horrified intiially. :lol: At first, she apparently thought it was menopause, not pregnancy. :lol:

Do you know "Rave On?" or "Oh Boy?" Those and a few others make me think he was proto-punk...the whole rockabilly thing. Damn, it would have been fascinating to see how his career turned out. Makes me genuinely sad.

Close, they were both born in the mid-50s! :) My mom didnt have me till much later, when she was 40, I was her surprise baby, as she likes to put it, although I'm sure she was horrified intiially. :lol: At first, she apparently thought it was menopause, not pregnancy. :lol:

Oh man, that's similar to what my mom went through, except it was the reverse for her - it turned out to be menopause and NOT a pregnancy. When she told me she thought she was pregnant, I just about died. I was in my mid-20's at the time. :yikes: :lol:

:hyper:

Also, Sarah just sent me this, and it made me laugh.

345971_15162928_ll.jpg

That's me sober XD

Random. I was at the movies today and the movie theater had hipster/indie/hipster music a-playing instead of ads or the usual theater classical or 'classic rock'. It was nice (and weird) (and makes sense for Baltimore, I s'pose)

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube

came on and weirded me out, because it's all over the local radio here but fits right in with the rest of the music bc it's really popular in another country (Australia I believe?) Also, the initials of the radio station that plays that song a lot ended up being the name for a drug in the movie I saw :laugh:

/Random

(I need to go to movies more often :) they're fun. and there's a Haagen Dazs right next to the theater. Yay!)

Oh man, that's similar to what my mom went through, except it was the reverse for her - it turned out to be menopause and NOT a pregnancy. When she told me she thought she was pregnant, I just about died. I was in my mid-20's at the time. :yikes: :lol:

:lol: It's funny, because I'm theoretically still of childbearing years, and yet I'd now consider myself too old to think about it...but my mom was a roll with the punches type and was all 'eh, whatever, I'll make it work," even though women that age back then didn't have children that old. She always says that she's glad she had me, that having a young one at that age kept her young. Me, I'm not sure where she found the energy. :lol:

:hyper:

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra) - official video - YouTube

came on and weirded me out, because it's all over the local radio here but fits right in with the rest of the music bc it's really popular in another country (Australia I believe?) Also, the initials of the radio station that plays that song a lot ended up being the name for a drug in the movie I saw :laugh:

/Random

(I need to go to movies more often :) they're fun. and there's a Haagen Dazs right next to the theater. Yay!)
I just heard that song for the first time a few weeks ago, and loved it, added it to my You Tube favourites!

I drank too much tonight, and am just now having bruschetta, kielbasi, this amazing kind made at a deli I shop at, grape tomatoes, and boccocini. A pretty good drunk meal, no?

Actually, when I first heard him, I thought he sounded a lot like Sting...and then when I googled him it said that comparisons have been made between him and Sting and Peter Gabriel. Everything old is new again...

:lol: It's funny, because I'm theoretically still of childbearing years, and yet I'd now consider myself too old to think about it...but my mom was a roll with the punches type and was all 'eh, whatever, I'll make it work," even though women that age back then didn't have children that old. She always says that she's glad she had me, that having a young one at that age kept her young. Me, I'm not sure where she found the energy. :lol:

Yeah, I can imagine how difficult that must have been. Hell, I'm in my 30's and don't think I have the energy NOW to have kids. :wink:

I LOVE "Somebody That I Used To Know" :heart:. Such a great song. I like the video, too, it's so strange.

:lol: Oh, wow! Yeah, surprise indeed!

I was born in October of '84, so my mom was 27 going on 28 at the time when she had me (her birthday's in December). Then my sister came along when my mom was 31 (May of '88). Then my mom decided that was it as far as kids went, LOL. But she was the "surprise" baby for her parents, so hey :p.

Do you know "Rave On?" or "Oh Boy?" Those and a few others make me think he was proto-punk...the whole rockabilly thing. Damn, it would have been fascinating to see how his career turned out. Makes me genuinely sad.

I do know those songs, too, yes :yes:. Also awesome. And "Maybe Baby" is fantastic, too, that's another one I quite love. I fully agree with you on the "proto-punk" thing, his influence is clearly noticeable in many alternative/new wave/punk/whatever sorts of artists that came along in the late '70s early '80s. And hell, Elvis Costello had a similar Buddy Holly sort of look going on when he first came out.

I know :(. So many artists taken so soon, you always wind up wondering about that sort of thing.

Peggy Sue = :heart:

One of the best songs ever.

:yes: :up:.

Ha, oh, wow, so we've got this "Me TV" channel, it shows old TV shows from the '50s, '60s, and '70s, and they're showing "Get Smart" right now :D. Man, I used to LOVE watching the reruns of this show on Nick at Nite when I was a kid. Fun to see it again.

Yeah, I can imagine how difficult that must have been. Hell, I'm in my 30's and don't think I have the energy NOW to have kids. :wink:

I truly have no desire to have children any time soon. I see some of my friends from school, or girls that were in the same class as my sister (who is going to turn 24 in one month) having kids, or girls even younger than that having them, and I just don't get it. I mean, if that's what they want, fine, go for it (well, teens should wait on that, I think), but...I dunno. I want to take time to go do all the stuff I want to do before I start having kids. Plus, I don't have the best-paying job or my own place, I'm still struggling financially as it is, I don't want to bring a child into that.

And honestly, if I were to have kids someday, right now adopting one sounds more ideal for me than having one biologically. Give a home to a kid who needs one.

Plus, working shifts on Saturdays at the mall and hearing kids scream and shriek and yell and run around and cause havoc, and looking at the stressed out parents trying to calm them down, also pretty much cemented my, "Yeeeeeeah, I can wait on this." feeling :wink:.

:yes: :up:.

Ha, oh, wow, so we've got this "Me TV" channel, it shows old TV shows from the '50s, '60s, and '70s, and they're showing "Get Smart" right now :D. Man, I used to LOVE watching the reruns of this show on Nick at Nite when I was a kid. Fun to see it again.

Ha! I love Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Addams Family (such a great show), and because of TVLand, I am obsessed with MacGyver.

I truly have no desire to have children any time soon. I see some of my friends from school, or girls that were in the same class as my sister (who is going to turn 24 in one month) having kids, or girls even younger than that having them, and I just don't get it. I mean, if that's what they want, fine, go for it (well, teens should wait on that, I think), but...I dunno. I want to take time to go do all the stuff I want to do before I start having kids. Plus, I don't have the best-paying job or my own place, I'm still struggling financially as it is, I don't want to bring a child into that.

And honestly, if I were to have kids someday, right now adopting one sounds more ideal for me than having one biologically. Give a home to a kid who needs one.

Plus, working shifts on Saturdays at the mall and hearing kids scream and shriek and yell and run around and cause havoc, and looking at the stressed out parents trying to calm them down, also pretty much cemented my, "Yeeeeeeah, I can wait on this." feeling :wink:.

I totally understand.

I went to high school with a girl who had a baby when she was 16, and now HE'S almost 16, which is just so crazy to think of. I lived in a small town, so there were loads of teen pregnancies. Then later on, a lot of my friends married young (in their early 20's) and started popping out kids fairly quickly, so I'm one of the only single ones remaining. :lol:

I totally agree with you on the "freedom to do anything" train. That's totally where I am right now. I love being on my own SO much right now. I have loads of things I want to do too, and I fully intend on doing as many of them as I can while I'm still single/childless.

And like you, I absolutely want to adopt. There are so many kids out there who need a good home, and one day I'll be able to provide that for one or two of them. :) But since I'm unemployed and broke right now, that ain't happening ANY time soon. :wink:

You sound so much like Sarah. Kids freak her the hell out, as they well should, at this point in her life. Within the past year or two, people she went to high school with are getting engaged, and it's funny, but she is outraged. "They're so young, how can they know what they want right now??" LOL Then I remind her that when I was her age, I was married with a pre-schooler (her!) and she looks at me like I'm insane and she wants to hide...which is awesome, I wouldn't want it any other way. :lol:

Re: kids acting out in stores and stuff, Sarah was always really well behaved, probably because I treated her like a little person, and not as a child, I always gave her a choice: come out with me and behave, or you can stay home with your dad. And if she didn't behave, I followed up, and she went home. It didn't take long for her to learn to behave in public. And at home, actually. I'm a firm believer in setting limits, but also in explaining why those limits have to be set, in an age appropriate way. We had a great deal of communication, and she was a very easy child to raise, even in her teen years. Never had any problems with her at all. In fact, during her teen years, she once jokingly complained to me that I gave her nothing to rebel against. :lol: She was always a very smart, level-headed, sensible kid, and I never really had to set limits during the "difficult" teen years.

One more thing. A late night confession. Since I dont subscribe to post secrets.

Some of you might remember the Bob thing, For those of you who don't, it was a quasi-relationship lasting from the early 00s....03 or 04? till around 2 1/2 years ago. I ended it because it finally sunk into my thick skull that it wasn't good for me, for various reasons. The longtimers here have heard me angst about it ad nauseum. He kept trying to call me till a year or so ago, but I wouldn't answer. Then I kind of stopped using my home number, don't even check that phone anymore, because even though I still have the line, it's almost exclusively him and telemarketers that call on that line...I pretty much only use my cell now,

But the thing is, even though I know he's awful for me and that it's over...there's a tiny part of me for which it's not really over. I still think about him. I still compare other people to him. And even though I don't really have facebook, I do have an account that I can use to look at stuff for work, etc. Anyway, about twice a year, I would stalk his account for like 10 minutes, and then move on, and forget him for another 6 months. I did that earlier today...and his account was locked down. I couldn`t see a damned thing. This turn of events is driving me nuts, and I`m not sure if it`s a good thing or a bad thing. Sigh.

And there is my confession. I`m going to bed now. Night, all.

Anyway, about twice a year, I would stalk his account for like 10 minutes, and then move on, and forget him for another 6 months. I did that earlier today...and his account was locked down. I couldn`t see a damned thing. This turn of events is driving me nuts, and I`m not sure if it`s a good thing or a bad thing. Sigh.

:crack: I know exactly what you're talking about. This post could be me.....I used to stalk my ex every so often even though I've always been so happy we broke it off. But certain times of the year remind me of him so off to FB I go. All of a sudden his page was totally locked up but I noticed when I typed in his last name a few months ago, which is a very unusual last name, a girl came up with his last name and her profile pic was of the two of them. Her page is semi opened with a few pics and life event changes. He's now married which drives me insane because I'm not even seeing anyone right now. We broke up at a restaurant about 30 minutes from where I live and he drove :happy: I had to listen to him for the entire ride home telling me how he thought we were on track for marriage and he feels like he's never going to be good enough for anyone :blahblah: I almost told him to drop me off in the middle of the highway and I'd call me dad to come get me because he was getting a little psycho on me. But boy do I wish I never would have found out that he's married because I've stalked his wife's page looking for pics more times than I probably should have :reject:

I totally understand.

I went to high school with a girl who had a baby when she was 16, and now HE'S almost 16, which is just so crazy to think of. I lived in a small town, so there were loads of teen pregnancies. Then later on, a lot of my friends married young (in their early 20's) and started popping out kids fairly quickly, so I'm one of the only single ones remaining. :lol:

This is my situation summed up, pretty much :p. Two friends of mine are also single and childless. And...we're about it amongst people we know.

Which also makes it awkward if you want to go hang out and do something-person with the kid's got to get the babysitter, be careful about what they can and can't do while out, and while I'm totally fine with a quiet, uneventful evening, I know my friends like to live it up a little more.

I totally agree with you on the "freedom to do anything" train. That's totally where I am right now. I love being on my own SO much right now. I have loads of things I want to do too, and I fully intend on doing as many of them as I can while I'm still single/childless.

EXACTLY. I mean, not to say I still couldn't do some of the things I wanted, like travel and whatnot, after I had kids, but it's more fun to have the freedom to just go wherever you want and do whatever you want.

And like you, I absolutely want to adopt. There are so many kids out there who need a good home, and one day I'll be able to provide that for one or two of them. :) But since I'm unemployed and broke right now, that ain't happening ANY time soon. :wink:

LOL, yeah, exactly.

Plus, I hear horror stories about women who have complications during pregnancy, and I'm just terrified of the whole idea of being pregnant. What if my body can't handle it, what if something happened to the baby, what if something happened to me and my kid grew up motherless? Fears like that.

I don't want to do it right now 'cause there's always the chance I could someday change my mind (and I don't have the money for it anyway), but sometimes I do wonder if I should just go ahead and do a surgery or something, you know?

You sound so much like Sarah. Kids freak her the hell out, as they well should, at this point in her life. Within the past year or two, people she went to high school with are getting engaged, and it's funny, but she is outraged. "They're so young, how can they know what they want right now??" LOL Then I remind her that when I was her age, I was married with a pre-schooler (her!) and she looks at me like I'm insane and she wants to hide...which is awesome, I wouldn't want it any other way. :lol:

See, and it's not even so much that kids freak me out the way they do Sarah. I do like kids. There are some really adorable ones that do come through our store, and one day a lady came in with a baby in a stroller, and the baby was sound asleep, completely oblivious to whatever noise was going on around them, and the baby looked so peaceful and cute and sweet and I was like, "Awwwwwwww...". And you know, when kids are 2, 3, 4, 5 years old, even, they're energetic and rambunctious, and being dragged around on a Saturday while their parents do their errands probably gets boring as hell to them after a while, they'd rather be out playing and all that sort of thing. I don't fault them for being typical kids and getting restless and tired and cranky, and if they're too young to talk, screaming and crying is pretty much their only means of saying, "Hey, I'm not happy right now!" I remember being a kid and hating being dragged around to places that weren't fun when out and about sometimes (though some parents might want to figure out a go-to plan when their kids start screaming-some kids have some SERIOUS lungs on them and sometimes you couldn't be faulted for thinking, "Oh, my god, is someone being kidnapped out there or what?").

I just don't think I have the patience level for kids right now. I'm scared of screwing things up with them somehow. I'm just not ready to handle any of that 24/7 right now. Babysitting a kid now and again, fine. Few hours, I can do that. But full time? It's just not something I think I'm capable of right now. Just so many fears and concerns more than anything.

LOL, I'm glad she's wanting to wait on that stuff. You did it and you raised her well, clearly, as you stated, and like I said, if that sort of life is what someone wants and they're as ready as one can be for it ('cause it's been said you'll never be 100% "ready" no matter what age you are), fantastic. Some people mature faster than others and can handle that sort of thing earlier.

But yeah, I think many people out there could do well to wait, definitely, and it's nice to find others who feel the way I do.

Ha! I love Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Addams Family (such a great show), and because of TVLand, I am obsessed with MacGyver.

Ah, yeah, I remember seeing "Green Acres" and "Beverly Hillbillies" a lot as a kid, too. Don't remember watching "The Addams Family" as much, my parents were more into "The Munsters" :p. But I'm certainly familiar with the show.

I always liked that the little girl on "Addams Family" was named Wednesday. Wonder why they went with that?

Oh, and VP, you're not nuts for doing that. Any relationship like that, regardless of how good or bad it turns out, is going to linger in your mind. It sucks that he turned out to be bad for you, and I applaud your wanting to move on from him, but I do understand still being curious, too.

I've totally done the "investigating what someone I like(d) is up to" thing. I had a big crush on a guy junior year of high school (he was a senior at the time), and he had a LiveJournal account, and I used to check that often to see what all he talked about. He wasn't the sort of guy like the kind in the story you shared (or like what arw talked about), he was nice and we got on fine, but still, he wasn't into me that way and so all it did was bring up feelings of jealousy if I read of him talking about other girls he knew and whatnot.

Sigh. Men.

Anywho, I'll shut up with my long ramblings now :lol:. Good night to all who are off to bed :wave:! I'll be doing that soon as well-work tomorrow, yaaaay! Sweet dreams, everyone!

Happy April fools day :D

Google Maps is best I´ve found so far :lol:
:love: That's awesome! 8 bit maps FTW!

this is probably a really old trick but I just found out about it recently and love it! Have you ever tried to google map the shire to mordor and then looked at the walking directions?

:lol: Yeah that's great. There's another one, if you try to go from Tokyo to... I think San Fransisco, it's brilliant. Step 24. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom