PGP: How to recover from the BonoMono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see why it'd be different if it's a newbie or not. And for the record, the person has been here for 2 years. I'd hardly call it a newbie.

Really I don't see what exactly I did wrong. :huh: I just stated that it's kinda weird to go on a U2 forum calling yourself the biggest fan.

well I consider someone with hardly any posts a newbie regardless of the amount of years here. They don't post enough to know their way around to have seen there was another thread. Like I said in the other thread, obviously everyone (or most) thinks they are the biggest fan of someone. But why bother to waste your time telling them they aren't? All you needed to do was say there's another thread and leave it at that. It would have been more helpful to the poster instead of making them feel like their user name sucks.

You don't see me run around and post that I'm their biggest fan. Because I'm realistic enough to know I'm not. :shrug: Never did I say their username sucks. It's just unrealistic.

:shifty: Well.. can I choose a different era? Say... 1997ish..

Or ZooTv would work well too.

I wish I could 1997 over again too. I did not see Popmart because life was kind of shitastic at the time.

If I could revisit 2001, I really wish I got a photo of Bono when he tore his shirt off at the Montreal show. Like, if I go return with the camera I had now. I was in GA but not the heart. It wasn't sold out so everyone seemed to push into the heart leaving me about 4 back from the tip of the heart - right at the time he tore his shirt.

I wish I could 1997 over again too. I did not see Popmart because life was kind of shitastic at the time.

If I could revisit 2001, I really wish I got a photo of Bono when he tore his shirt off at the Montreal show. Like, if I go return with the camera I had now. I was in GA but not the heart. It wasn't sold out so everyone seemed to push into the heart leaving me about 4 back from the tip of the heart - right at the time he tore his shirt.
Popmart sounds like such an epic party. I'd have loved to see it.

:shifty: I'd suggest you should go back to Copenhagen, July 6, 2001 then. Check the clip of Streets on youtube. :whistle:

Whatever you want :wink:

But going back to Mount Temple before they met their "better halfs" would be my choice :shifty:

:shifty: ohh, I like the way you think.

Time for me to head home, I'm done in the lab for today. :wave: Later guys.

FTW!

I know. My bad for only being 4 in 1975.

I wasn't even close to being born in 1975 :wink:

Popmart sounds like such an epic party. I'd have loved to see it.

:shifty: I'd suggest you should go back to Copenhagen, July 6, 2001 then. Check the clip of Streets on youtube. :whistle:

:shifty: ohh, I like the way you think.

Time for me to head home, I'm done in the lab for today. :wave: Later guys.

Later :wave: :hug:

Okay, topic for Edge's birthday.....

What year (birth and date) did you become a U2 fan? What was the 'thing' that got you hooked on the U2 Smack?

It was 1983-1987. I was 12 in 1983 and I loved the song Surrender. The infamous Carter Alan was on WBCN in Boston and played the War album all the time. In the spring of 1983, they played Surrender and I loved that song. I would be a fan of the music through the mid-80's. In 1984-85, my friend assigned the Edge as my U2 boyfriend. She liked Bono, and I was a little bummed out. Finally in 1987, she decided she wanted Edge and I got to have Bono. That would start my deep obsession with U2. So, I was a fan at 12, but became ravenous at 15-16. One of the reasons Streets hits a deep chord in me is I remember the trailer for Rattle and Hum. The red screen with their silhouettes walking on stage. The keyboards and Larry's drumsticks cracking together as they count down to the moment where Edge starts that amazing intro......still gives me chills almost 25 years later.

I don't know exact dates, but I'm a total newbie. I was vaguely aware in a pop culture sense, but it took a sort of combination of things for me to become one of the freaks. ;)

One thing, oddly enough, was seeing the 2U tribute band at Epcot. I usually go there at least once every few weeks to just wander on my days off, and they were playing in the Sounds Like Summer tribute band series. I have this weird thing about always liking songs a LOT more once I've seen them live, so that show made me go home and download several songs and work them into regular playlist rotation.

Another thing I remember is watching Across the Universe with my best friend Todd over the phone (my billionth time watching it, his first. We would always be like "I'm sorry, but I can NOT be friends with you anymore until you see this movie I'm currently obsessed with!" I'm so sad I lost him before I could make him watch It Might Get Loud with me!) We had a great discussion about Bono as Dr. Robert. There's just something about his energy when he starts to sing that makes you stop and go "WHOA. THAT is a fucking ROCKSTAR."

Something I find hilarious now-- the movie theatre I usually goes to plays one of those reels with movie clips, trivia, music videos, etc. to kill time before the actual trailers start. Still Haven't Found happens to be one of the videos in the loop, and I remember watching it and thinking "Dude, who is the guy in the hat??" :lol: And then seeing it again the next time I was there and thinking "YAY, hat guy!"

I think my big conversion moment was that moment in It Might Get Loud where it transitions from Edge listening to the old demo tapes of Streets, giggling over Bono counting out the time, kind of lost in the memory of it, to Slane Castle, still lost in the song, but in front of a zillion people with Bono running laps around the heart. There was just something about the juxtaposition of that really private, small moment against the epicness of Streets at Slane that blew me away.

And then we lived happily ever after.

Okay, topic for Edge's birthday.....

What year (birth and date) did you become a U2 fan? What was the 'thing' that got you hooked on the U2 Smack?

I loved your story, amy. Here's mine.
When I was in 7th grade (13-y-0, 1985 or 86) my friend Dave Young asked if I liked U2. I said yes. He gave me a copy of UF on tape since I didn't own anything except a copy of Surrender and Two Hearts that my brother had on a mixed tape. I put it in my dad's tape player that night and listened to it over and over - I would stop and start and rewind it so I could write down every lyric to every song, which I kept in a notebook and studied. When I went to boarding school in 1989 I lost touch with Dave but thanks to the miracle of facebook I found him and last year had lunch with him and got to thank him.

Oh, and the obsession in earnest happened when I was at a sort of (as GR would say) shittastic place in my life and went to see the Vertigo tour. I came home and knew I had to do that again. I asked my husband if I could fly to Salt Lake City by myself and buy a $200 GA ticket off of ebay. He said "Anything that makes you that happy, as happy as I saw you that night (at the concert) you should do as often as you can"

I loved your story, amy. Here's mine.
When I was in 7th grade (13-y-0, 1985 or 86) my friend Dave Young asked if I liked U2. I said yes. He gave me a copy of UF on tape since I didn't own anything except a copy of Surrender and Two Hearts that my brother had on a mixed tape. I put it in my dad's tape player that night and listened to it over and over - I would stop and start and rewind it so I could write down every lyric to every song, which I kept in a notebook and studied. When I went to boarding school in 1989 I lost touch with Dave but thanks to the miracle of facebook I found him and last year had lunch with him and got to thank him.

Oh, and the obsession in earnest happened when I was at a sort of (as GR would say) shittastic place in my life and went to see the Vertigo tour. I came home and knew I had to do that again. I asked my husband if I could fly to Salt Lake City by myself and buy a $200 GA ticket off of ebay. He said "Anything that makes you that happy, as happy as I saw you that night (at the concert) you should do as often as you can"

That's too cute :cute:

Aw - all I want is you, Amy :hug:
j/k - all I want is Larry... and some chocolate... and for that job I'm applying for to pay $10,000 more than it does...

Oh, and I don't know how many of you are in that reunion group on fb, but I just spent the last 10 minutes reading the funniest argument on there. God, people amaze me. :rolleyes:

I just went on to see if any decision had been made about where and when (don't know why it would, this early) and there was an argument about tribute bands. Someone said they're sad and called this girl pathetic or something for seeing the same tribute band 180 times (not an exaggeration). The girl is NOT one to back down from an argument (I've had one with her before) and the two of them went OFF - last I checked there were 144 posts in the conversation. :lol:

I just went on to see if any decision had been made about where and when (don't know why it would, this early) and there was an argument about tribute bands. Someone said they're sad and called this girl pathetic or something for seeing the same tribute band 180 times (not an exaggeration). The girl is NOT one to back down from an argument (I've had one with her before) and the two of them went OFF - last I checked there were 144 posts in the conversation. :lol:

I was talking about that earlier. Are they still at it?

ETA - we need to start the Best Bono hair argument.

I had to go check this out. :lol:

:wave:

I need to disable the emails from that group. They're blowing up my inbox and driving me crazy. And it's all convo from people I hardly know.

Wow :ohmy:

Some people :rolleyes:

I need to disable the emails from that group. They're blowing up my inbox and driving me crazy. And it's all convo from people I hardly know.

I did that and I'm still getting emails for some reason.

How's you today?

Do you know how to do that? Just remove notifications from THAT group? I agree - that little red flag gets me all excited then I realize it's nothing I care about :lol:

I unsubscribed from emails, set the notifications to "only threads I'm subscribed to" and then clicked unsubscribe from all the ones I'd commented on, so now it is blissful silence. :love:

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of HOW you see a band 180+ times. Even if they played weekly, which is pretty unheard of, that's still like 3 and a half years of going EVERY week and never missing a show.

Even for the local bands that I never miss a show of, I don't think there are any I've seen more than *maybe* 30-40 times.

You know that I did. It was the only one I could find of that scene. There used to be a better version, but you get the drift. I said 'tribute bands rule' and posted the link. Bring it bitches!

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of HOW you see a band 180+ times. Even if they played weekly, which is pretty unheard of, that's still like 3 and a half years of going EVERY week and never missing a show.

Even for the local bands that I never miss a show of, I don't think there are any I've seen more than *maybe* 30-40 times.

:coocoo:

Yeah, there's loving U2....and then there is that. Do you listen to any other music??

There is a pretty decent cover/tribute/channeler band in Boston called Joshua Tree. What is cool is of the singer can sound a lot like Bono - you do sort of get to hear some stuff you many never hear live. I don't think I've gone out of my way to see them, but have been to some beer fests that they play.

Back
Top Bottom