PGP - Hitching a ride With Dallas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Kristen, how are you doing? :wave: Did I see that you have snow? Did any of it stick?

When I was leaving here yesterday afternoon (I live in Brantford), it was drizzly, and then I was watching the drops on my windshield at a red light, and I was like "OMG, that's hitting the windshield the way that snow does!" :scream: Sure enough, it was wet snow flakes. By the time I got out of the city, it had stopped. Then all the way to KW it was fine, and then from KW to Toronto too. Then last night coming back into Brantford around 1:30 or 2 am, there were more snowflakes. :| None of it stayed on the ground, fortunately. It's been way too cold the past few weeks. WTF, Mother Nature? :sad:

I'm doing good thanks. Over the past couple weeks I've kind of been going back and forth over school stuff but I have it all resovled now. Decided I'm gonna go back into history and finish my degree in that. I was a major in history before and switched into political science but I'm switching back. I only have 1 and half years left :hyper:

ah! WHile I don't always find all parts of history fascinating... I do do love it esp when it is presented in an engaging manner.It really has to be taught well ( in general, imho) for most kids ( grade school & junior high) to get engaged in it.

I tend to being interested in many things and esp if you can find links between them, that brings me in more!
Abd that's the way I think it should be taught.

I had at list one techer in History who was like that.

Polysci is good too.

He sounds like the perfect kid :wink:

Yeah I've always been a history geek. I have a fascination with the Tudors :D
I switched to political science because I wanted a job with an NGO for international aid but I've come to realize I want to do history more. I'm a World Vision volunteer right now and I figure I can still do the humanitarian thing but just as a volunteer and then I can have my career with history.

He is! :D Totally no problems whatshowever, he's just so easygoing! Haha he's got me at his beck and call already. :love:

History's definitely interesting, though my interest has been mainly scientific, old Greek and such. Sounds like you're making the right choice, it's a good thing to do what you love. If you can combine your passion and your job you'll be sure to enjoy it. :up:

Hey Kristen, how are you doing? :wave: Did I see that you have snow? Did any of it stick?

When I was leaving here yesterday afternoon (I live in Brantford), it was drizzly, and then I was watching the drops on my windshield at a red light, and I was like "OMG, that's hitting the windshield the way that snow does!" :scream: Sure enough, it was wet snow flakes. By the time I got out of the city, it had stopped. Then all the way to KW it was fine, and then from KW to Toronto too. Then last night coming back into Brantford around 1:30 or 2 am, there were more snowflakes. :| None of it stayed on the ground, fortunately. It's been way too cold the past few weeks. WTF, Mother Nature? :sad:

eeeeeewwwwww early snow!! :madspit: :hug:VP
they said it snowed a bit in the outer and higher up suburbs/country side above NYC :ohmy: :madspit:

It's in the 40's here daytime, drizzly & rainy, and will be so through sunday. :angry:

what's up with your MOm? nd how's sarah feeling.

How are you, besides :yuck: at the early snow.

Hey :wave:
I'm doing good thanks. Just ate some McDonalds :drool:
How are you?
Yep we've had snow here over the past week. It was coming down pretty hard last Saturday and it's snowed on and off over the past couple days. Some of it's still on the ground :angry:
It's supposed to be 14C in a few days though so it's gonna melt, YAY!

ah! WHile I don't always find all parts of history fascinating... I do do love it esp when it is presented in an engaging manner.It really has to be taught well ( in general, imho) for most kids ( grade school & junior high) to get engaged in it.

I tend to being interested in many things and esp if you can find links between them, that brings me in more!
Abd that's the way I think it should be taught.

I had at list one techer in History who was like that.

Polysci is good too.

I agree that is has to be taught in an interesting and easy to understand way. I had one awesome history teacher in high school and he got me hooked on it.

He is! :D Totally no problems whatshowever, he's just so easygoing! Haha he's got me at his beck and call already. :love:

History's definitely interesting, though my interest has been mainly scientific, old Greek and such. Sounds like you're making the right choice, it's a good thing to do what you love. If you can combine your passion and your job you'll be sure to enjoy it. :up:

That's why I decided history was more important to me. If it's gonna be part of my job I wanna have a passion for it and I certainly do with history.

eeeeeewwwwww early snow!! :madspit: :hug:VP
they said it snowed a bit in the outer and higher up suburbs/country side above NYC :ohmy: :madspit:

It's in the 40's here daytime, drizzly & rainy, and will be so through sunday. :angry:

what's up with your MOm? nd how's sarah feeling/

Winter is long enough, we don't need it starting in mid-October. :angry:

6 or 7 years ago around this time (it was actually on our Thanksgiving weekend), we went to Cooperstown NY, and in the higher elevations, it was snowing quite heavily this one night when we went out for dinner.

Sarah's doing much better, thanks. :) My mom? :sigh: We all think it's ideal for her - she seems better there, her mind is sharper and she seems more alert...but she says she doesn't think it's for her, and she wants to go home. :( We're not happy about it, but what can we do? We don't want to force her to stay.

I was going over my calendar, for what my sub will do while I'm gone and I just realized how quickly this adventure, that I've been planning since January, will be over. :ohmy:

eta: I just realized what a "cup half empty" statement that was.
FIVE more sleeps until the next show!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

:giggle:

Oh, and I"m going pumpkin picking this weekend :love:

:heart:

someone put a carved one out on the -- on the top part of the "wall" that is at each end of our steps out of our small ( 4 stories high) apt building last night! :cute:

I'm debating wehter to get a med-small one to carve .....

Oh yeah, I saw that you just dropped PolySci...my daughter did, too. :lol: She was just submitting her (non PolySci) classes for next term, and she was all "why did I ever think that I'd be interested in PolySci??"

:lol: I know how she feels. I had some law classes last year with my poli sci ones and the law ones were the only classes that I actually enjoyed

:lol: I know how she feels. I had some law classes last year with my poli sci ones and the law ones were the only classes that I actually enjoyed

She loves politics, but as I'm sure you know, that doesn't necessarily translate into wanting to study it, you know?

She's decided on psych now, and seems much happier and enthusiastic with her classes.

Winter is long enough, we don't need it starting in mid-October. :angry:

AMEN, sister!

Sarah's doing much better, thanks. :) My mom? :sigh: We all think it's ideal for her - she seems better there, her mind is sharper and she seems more alert...but she says she doesn't think it's for her, and she wants to go home. :( We're not happy about it, but what can we do? We don't want to force her to stay.

Glad Sarah is on mend! :hug:

Ohhhh, dear.... :hug::hug:
about your Mom....

You going to stop for a bit to recover form the whole experience; then and see if she needs an aid, or look for more places.

Snow might sound good in theory, but when you live with it for 5 months a year, and all the discomfort and inconvenience...ugh, HATE. :angry:

Thora :wave:

:lol: That's what you guys keep telling me. I wish we could trade weather! You'll enjoy the 5 months of rain and meh weather and I'll take the snow tyvm. :D

AMEN, sister!

Glad Sarah is on mend! :hug:

Ohhhh, dear.... :hug::hug:
about your Mom....

You going to stop for a bit to recover form the whole experience; then and see if she needs an aid, or look for more places.

What I'm hoping is that she's experiencing a "grass is greener" moment. We're not going to continue looking, I think as far as residences go, we're not going to find a better one. The place is gorgeous, the people are nice, the staff are so awesome and friendly, they can't do enough for you, the food is good, there are plenty of activities. I don't know what more she could want.

I'm hoping that once she gets home and is faced with no longer having three meals a day and snacks prepared for her, and being alone in her condo with nothing to do, she'll change her mind.

She loves politics, but as I'm sure you know, that doesn't necessarily translate into wanting to study it, you know?

She's decided on psych now, and seems much happier and enthusiastic with her classes.

Yeah it's alot different having to study it everyday. I'm glad she's in something she likes now. That makes a huge difference :D

:drool:Snowwww

Hee I scored, one of the cats is on my lap now. :D he seems rather content with me.

You are more then welcome to come shovel my driveway everyday :wink:

:lol: That's what you guys keep telling me. I wish we could trade weather! You'll enjoy the 5 months of rain and meh weather and I'll take the snow tyvm. :D

I would take 5 months of rain in a heartbeat over snow! :drool: At least you don't have to shovel rain, or freeze to death in it, you don't have to pile on 40 layers of clothing and still feel frozen, rain doesn't dry out your hair and skin, etc.

And, as I said in one of the tour threads, I also think that BEP would be fun to see. I don't know hardly any of their material, and I'm not big on rap/hip-hop (there is the odd song here and there from the genre I like. I think if you completely close yourself off to any genre, you're doing yourself a big disservice, there's bound to be the odd gem here and there if you'd give it a chance), but that it would be cool to see musicians from a genre I wouldn't normally go to see on my own. At least it'd be something different and not just a bland rock act I have to endure to get to the band I really want to see.

My feeling is ( and there's hip hop & rap I like since he beginning of the genre) ....

that any band ( R&R) I REALLY dislike :madspit: - I usually can find one or two songs I like.

What I'm hoping is that she's experiencing a "grass is greener" moment. We're not going to continue looking, I think as far as residences go, we're not going to find a better one. The place is gorgeous, the people are nice, the staff are so awesome and friendly, they can't do enough for you, the food is good, there are plenty of activities. I don't know what more she could want.

I'm hoping that once she gets home and is faced with no longer having three meals a day and snacks prepared for her, and being alone in her condo with nothing to do, she'll change her mind.

I hope this does happen for your mom. :hug: I can imagine it's a tough situation for all of you.

Earlier in the year, we moved my grandma to a residence like that. She'd lived in the same house since the mid 60's, so it was quite the process. Even though she's very healthy for her age, it took her a while to be able to admit that this was the best route for her to go. It has progressive care, so as she gets older, they'll be able to take care of her growing needs. What's great is that one of her closest friends just moved into the same facility, so she has extra friends there now. :)

I wouldn't mind it at all! I swear! :lol:

Be my guest :wink:

I would take 5 months of rain in a heartbeat over snow! :drool: At least you don't have to shovel rain, or freeze to death in it, you don't have to pile on 40 layers of clothing and still feel frozen, rain doesn't dry out your hair and skin, etc.

:hi5:

:eek::eek:

I could NEVEr live in a place ( I have no intention of ever leaving NYC :heart: - but if I ever get rich enough to have a place somewhere else ) that had
5 months of rain!!!!

My S.A.D> .....I get worse when we - like, THIS Spring & Summer combined had the (or almost) the longest amounts of gray & rainy weather on record!!!:sad::sad: :yuck:!!!

My feeling is ( and there's hip hop & rap I like since he beginning of the genre) ....

that any band ( R&R) I REALLY dislike :madspit: - I usually can find one or two songs I like.

Yeah. For me, within a genre, I can generally find at least a few songs, if not a subgenre I like. For instance, I don't like country, but there are some artists/subgenres I enjoy. Same with jazz, orchestral, metal, bubblegum pop, rap, hip-hop, etc.

Anyone who says "I hate ALL (fill in genre)" is really limiting themselves. When they think that way, they generally don't give anything a chance.

I could NEVEr live in a place ( I have no intention of ever leaving NYC :heart: - but if I ever get rich enough to have a place somewhere else ) that had
5 months of rain!!!!

My S.A.D> .....I get worse when we - like, THIS Spring & Summer combined had the (or almost) the longest amounts of gray & rainy weather on record!!!:sad::sad: :yuck:!!!

Sounds like Irish weather :wink:

That's where the good part kicks in. :D I barely feel cold. That's probably why I got the deep frozen foods section, since I"m the only person who never whines about being cold!
I wouldn't mind shovelling, could use the snow later for sculptures or so. /child

:hi5: That's a deal then, now how do we switch weathers?

This one sounded great!
I didn't know if there were any other really good sounding ones you had yet to check out....

:fingerscrossed: for you all that that is the case ( grass is greener et all) !!

5 months of rain!!!!

Sounds like Irish weather :wink:

And Vancouver weather too! :wink:

It's definitely hard living here in the fall/winter, as I have SAD as well. Despite that, I don't think I'd ever want to live anywhere else, unless it was like in California or something. Having the mountains and ocean so close by is amazing, and essential to my well-being. I couldn't last living in Minnesota, as I missed the scenery so much, so I had to come home. It's a beautiful city, and it can be a hell of a time trying to get through the winter months, but I love it here. :)

I hope this does happen for your mom. :hug: I can imagine it's a tough situation for all of you.

Earlier in the year, we moved my grandma to a residence like that. She'd lived in the same house since the mid 60's, so it was quite the process. Even though she's very healthy for her age, it took her a while to be able to admit that this was the best route for her to go. It has progressive care, so as she gets older, they'll be able to take care of her growing needs. What's great is that one of her closest friends just moved into the same facility, so she has extra friends there now. :)

Yeah, that's what this place is like, it's not a nursing home, they call it an assisted living retirement residence, and it also has varying levels of care available, according to whatever the resident needs. The staff can be as hands off or as involved as the resident needs them to be, and if their needs change, that's accommodated. I'm really glad to hear it's working well for your grandma! I've heard from several people (including some of the staff) that it takes a few weeks for them to adjust properly to the routine, and to think of it as "home." She's only been there 3 days, so she's hardly given it a chance.

I don't know. I don't feel that she should be on her own at home, but I don't think she's at the point where we should be forcing her, either. :sigh:

5 months of rain!!!!

Ha, I've actually been loving all the rain this year. Maybe because it matches my dreary mood? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom