PGP: He's got the submarine AND the gasoline, baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello, I will most probably be in Stanford from the 19th of June for a conference and I am trying to understand whether I could fly in a couple of days in advance and trek it down the coast to SoCal for the gig(s). Do you know what is the most effective and economic way of travelling from SF to Anhaeim/OC?
Or do you thunk I should fly straight into LA from London?

Thanks for the info, I would LOVE to meet whoever will be there!!

Hmm I'm not really sure, but driving is always the easiest for me. You're looking at around a 6-7 hour drive, more with pit-stops. I'm not as familiar with other means of transportation, but flying of course will always get you where you want to go fastest and easiest if you can afford it.
Let us know if you are in Anaheim. :wave: I know a gathering of Interferencers is planned the night before the first show, though I won't be there. :sigh:

Nothing like waking up at 5:00 and be wheezing like ... well, like an asthmatic. :huh:

I had asthma symptoms, like, 4 or 5 years ago when I had my first (and so far only) bout of bronchitis, but they went away. I have an occasional really mild wheeze every so often, and have an inhaler that's not really the usual rescue inhaler but something stronger that I'm supposed to use once nightly if I'm having symptoms. Which is to say I hardly ever need to use it!

So I took a hit off that, but nada. I can breathe okay if I'm completely upright, but even if I was propped up on four pillows and only barely leaning back, I was having trouble.

So I just got up and came out to the living room. I'll kill time until the pharmacy opens. I think I still have a prescription for a rescue inhaler, and if not (or if that doesn't work), I'll have to schlep my cookies to the walk-in clinic.

Maybe it's allergy related, although thanks to my nasal inhaler (or just not being affected yet this spring), I've barely had any issues at all.

Ugh. WhatEVER, body.

I'm reeeeally tired right now, but otherwise am okay. :lol:

I don't seem to be wheezing much when I'm fully upright. I haven't tried lying down again.

My other favorite male singer right now is Guy Garvey, from Elbow.

YouTube - Elbow - Mirrorball (Abbey Road / Orchestral Session)

:heart:

Nice!

VP :hug: Friday afternoon happy hour :hi5: Had 2 drinks with the teacher posse.

Our little guy got to pick a movie for tonight - he chose Alice In Wonderland (the Johnny Depp / Tim Burton one). I'm excited - I haven't seen it yet.

Sorry I missed you last night. :hug: How was the movie? I haven't seen that yet either, which is weird, because we own about 75% of all Depp's movies.

I do branch out, but tonight I'm drinking one from BC. : ) There are some really fantastic wineries in the province.

Time for the pizza to go into the oven. : drool: Game time's coming up at the top of the hour! : D

I often get Sawmill Creek wines. I thought they were strictly a Niagara winery, but then I think I read once that they have a winery in BC, too?

I've been craving pizza for weeks now, but haven't had time to make dough. When Sarah's home next week, I'll get her to make some.

Wow, I really killed the thread. : lol: : uhoh:

Dinner was amazing. The pizza and wine combination was so damn good! : drool: I've drunk more than half the bottle of wine and am putting it down for the night now. : lol:

Glad you enjoyed your dinner! You didn't kill the thread, my laptop starting being stupid, so I put it down and put in an Arcade Fire dvd. I think I'm going to need a new laptop very soon, which is reason 898 I shouldn't go to Montreal. :(

Oh, thank you, VP! I was *SO* in love with Robbie Robertson back in The Day, and he just gets better?

As for my current "seductive voice", I think it may have to be Marcus Mumford of Mumford & Sons! :love:

I know and like some of The Band's music, my older brother introduced me to a lot of music from their era (and he took me to see The Band's The Last Waltz at the drive in when I was a kid) but I didn't really "discover" Robbie till Storyville came out in the early 90s. I never really had a thing for him, it was mostly the voice. It was only very recently that I've thought "hmmm, he's kind of hot sometimes." The blue lit scene for example. Otherwise, he's kind of shifty looking. :lol: He's part native Canadian, and spent a great deal of time as a kid with family on the reservation that's about 15 minutes from where I live, apparently.

He has a new album out. Neil McCormick just did a really good interview with him for The Guardian (that's who he writes for, right?). There's a video of one of the new songs on the page. I didn't like it. :(

I like what I've heard of Mumford and Sons, too. I need to check them out more.

:hmm: I really can't come up with anyone who comes remotely close to Bono for me, no other voice has ever affected me like his does, but I tried to come up with someone who might have had a big impact on me before Bono left everyone else in the dust. The only one would be Bowie. I've always loved his voice and I had a huuuuge thing for him in the 80's. (He's the reason I didn't get totally into U2 in the 80's :reject: ) But I'd still say he never came anywhere near Bono, once I came around. Bono is just :drool: Anyway, that's mine.

Bowie, nice!

Cori, that's awful. :( Hope you get something to help soon. Let us know how you are. How's Phoebe doing?

This was my first Saturday morning since December that I didn't have to get up early and go running, and of course I'm wide awake at 7am. :rolleyes: :lol: Oh well! Tomorrow is going to be a ridiculously early morning, so I'll probably have a few short naps throughout the day today. :)

cori, I hope you're able to get your breathing issues taken care of soon. Asthma and even breathing problems in general totally sucks. :(

I often get Sawmill Creek wines. I thought they were strictly a Niagara winery, but then I think I read once that they have a winery in BC, too?

I've been craving pizza for weeks now, but haven't had time to make dough. When Sarah's home next week, I'll get her to make some.

Glad you enjoyed your dinner! You didn't kill the thread, my laptop starting being stupid, so I put it down and put in an Arcade Fire dvd. I think I'm going to need a new laptop very soon, which is reason 898 I shouldn't go to Montreal. :(

I don't know much about Sawmill Creek, but I'm sure I've drunk it before. I tried looking up their website to see where their wineries were, but the site's under construction.

The brand I have right now is Mission Hill. It's one of my favourite BC wineries.

My dinner was actually a frozen pizza. It was on sale, so I thought I'd give a new kind a try, and oh my god this may be my new favourite. It was called "Parisien" and it has chicken, spinach, bacon and mushrooms on it. :drool: Absolutely fantastic!

That sucks about the laptop. :(

Thora, yay about the Canucks!!:up:

Cori, I hope you are feeling better soon. :hug:

GG, you were missed. I'm glad you had a great trip.

Kristen, WHAT THE FECK IS WITH THE SNOW???????? :crack:

Yowcha Cori, that doesn't sound good. I just got an inhaler last night too, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Can you lie on your side or does that give trouble too? That usually helps for me, as lying on my back makes me cough like a mofo.

Amy, you guys STILL have snow? :yuck: Wtf?

Thanks, Amy! :D I was about ready to crack during the last few minutes of the game. :crack: I could barely watch what was going on. :lmao: Thankfully it turned out in our favour, but holy crap on a stick was it ever stressful!

Time for some coffee. :drool: I love lazy weekend mornings!!

GG, we got some snow last night. We are under a snowfall warning right now. Hopefully, it will miss us.:crack:

Thora, I'm the same way. On Thursday, I didn't watch most of the third period because I was so stressed out. I did start watching just in time for the second goal. Playoff hockey is awesome, but man, it makes me nervous.:huh: I just heard Chara is dehydrated and will probably miss tonight's game. I hope he is ok, but dealing with Boston will be much easier without him to worry about.:wink:

GG, we got some snow last night. We are under a snowfall warning right now. Hopefully, it will miss us.:crack:

Thora, I'm the same way. On Thursday, I didn't watch most of the third period because I was so stressed out. I did start watching just in time for the second goal. Playoff hockey is awesome, but man, it makes me nervous.:huh: I just heard Chara is dehydrated and will probably miss tonight's game. I hope he is ok, but dealing with Boston will be much easier without him to worry about.:wink:

That is so nuts that you guys have snow. I hope it passes by without falling!

Oh, I'll watch every second. I will just have my fingers partially over my eyes, be biting my nails and chugging the wine. :laugh:

I heard that about Chara as well. He was trending on Twitter worldwide earlier this morning, so I looked it up. I don't blame you guys for being glad he might be missing a game. :lol: I obviously hope he'll be okay too, but yeah. Definitely understandable for you to not want to be playing against him. :wink:

Good luck K!:hug:

Thora, I'm trying not to think about an all Canadian final, but wouldn't that be epic?:ohmy:

ETA: I have Malibu rum here, perhaps that would calm my nerves about tonight's game! :shifty:

Good luck, Kristen! And hooray for being almost done! :hi5:

Good luck K!:hug:

Thora, I'm trying not to think about an all Canadian final, but wouldn't that be epic?:ohmy:

ETA: I have Malibu rum here, perhaps that would calm my nerves about tonight's game! :shifty:

That would be awesome indeed! :D Rum is the answer to your nerves, for sure! :yes:

I just put the ingredients together for another loaf of bread. I should have started it earlier in the day, but hopefully it will be ready in time for lunch. I have to run out and get some groceries in a little bit, but I doubt this bread will take more than 3 hours or so to be finished. Yum! :drool:

Hello, I will most probably be in Stanford from the 19th of June for a conference and I am trying to understand whether I could fly in a couple of days in advance and trek it down the coast to SoCal for the gig(s). Do you know what is the most effective and economic way of travelling from SF to Anhaeim/OC?
Or do you thunk I should fly straight into LA from London?

Thanks for the info, I would LOVE to meet whoever will be there!!

A) Stanford is a GORGEOUS campus - you'll love it. I went to high school in that town and my brothers went to school there. If I could afford to live anywhere in the world, this city would def be in my top 5.

B) It's about a 7 hour drive if you do it straight down the middle of the state - longer if you take the pretty coastal drive. You might be able to find a cheap flight from San Jose to one of the SoCal airports.

We're getting in the day before too. We're driving up that day so we won't get there til evening. Then the day after the show we're checking out of the hotel, but plan to go into SF for a little while to sight-see a bit since my kids have never been there. (you know, the bridge, and the regular tourist stuff I guess, I dunno, I haven't been there for years either.) We'll start home that day and just stop somewhere along the way home to sleep I guess, if we need to, depending on when we get going.
I guess I wasn't even thinking about the fact that we may get there too late the night before to do a meet-up. :sigh:

:hmm: We'll think of something. Maybe we could caravan up? We'll be spending the night of the 5th somewhere in SoCal - we could meet for breakfast - pick a place to stop for lunch...?

Awww thanks Dazz :hug: Hope things are good with you.

Zooey, what did you think of Alice in Wonderland? I saw it 3D in theatres and I loved the queen

I thought it was okay - not great. I did like Helena Bonham Carter and of course Johnny Depp. I wonder why both of the versions of Alice that I've seen recently (this one and the SciFi one) insinuate a romantic relationship between Alice and the Hatter. :hmm: :nerd:

Nothing like waking up at 5:00 and be wheezing like ... well, like an asthmatic.

I had asthma symptoms, like, 4 or 5 years ago when I had my first (and so far only) bout of bronchitis, but they went away. I have an occasional really mild wheeze every so often, and have an inhaler that's not really the usual rescue inhaler but something stronger that I'm supposed to use once nightly if I'm having symptoms. Which is to say I hardly ever need to use it!

So I took a hit off that, but nada. I can breathe okay if I'm completely upright, but even if I was propped up on four pillows and only barely leaning back, I was having trouble.

So I just got up and came out to the living room. I'll kill time until the pharmacy opens. I think I still have a prescription for a rescue inhaler, and if not (or if that doesn't work), I'll have to schlep my cookies to the walk-in clinic.

Maybe it's allergy related, although thanks to my nasal inhaler (or just not being affected yet this spring), I've barely had any issues at all.

Ugh. WhatEVER, body.

Cori, I hope you can get an inhaler soon. Take care.

My son threw up again last night. Feels totally fine today but it was BAD last night. And both Mr.Z and I don't feel 100% still. We just can't seem to shake this stupid thing.

Nice!

Sorry I missed you last night. :hug: How was the movie? I haven't seen that yet either, which is weird, because we own about 75% of all Depp's movies.

I like what I've heard of Mumford and Sons, too. I need to check them out more.

:sad:
I love Mumford and Sons.

GG, you were missed. I'm glad you had a great trip.

Kristen, WHAT THE FECK IS WITH THE SNOW???????? :crack:

I can't believe you guys have snow today. I hate the heat (it's 90F here today) but I wouldn't want snow in April either.

Reason 897 to want to live in Northern California.

GG, welcome back. I saw the pic of the mermaid statue - that's so cool - where was it?

K, good luck on your exam! And then YAY for being DONE!!!!!!!

Is there any way you could make that happen? :) That would be so incredible!

Large crowds freak the hell out of me, so it's going to be a huge challenge for me doing GA. :lol: I'm glad that I have Seattle as my first concert, so I can ease my way into doing GA. I'm 99% sure that I'll be soundboarding it for that one. That way I'll know (sort of) what I'm getting myself into for Montreal, and can prepare accordingly.

Mr.Z says probably not, for $$ reasons.

Yeah, my friend who did GA with me in '09 was totally freaked out by the whole thing - esp. when people started pushing and shoving and security was yelling and all - she thought she was gonna die! But it was sooooooo worth it (so much that she's doing both Anaheim shows with me)

Yeah, going overseas is significantly more expensive, unfortunately. :(

I know it's definitely going to be awesome! I'm sure Montreal will be crazy, so at least I have a show before that, where I won't care too much about where I'll be standing. In Montreal I think I want to try to grab a rail spot somewhere, but if it gets to be too much for me I can always go to the back. :) Glad your friend had a good experience! I'm going to try not to stress out about it too much beforehand. No use working myself up to believe it will be stressful, because that's not good for me. :)

I remember she went to see It Might Get Loud with me. When it shows the crowd scene for Streets, with everyone jumping, she turned to me and asked "Am I gonna survive GA?" :lol:

OKAY! That's IT! Nobody else gets to throw up in my house!!!! The cat just came in from outside and puked on the carpet! :scream:

Oh yeah, those shots are crazy! :lol: Maybe I'll watch that later this afternoon. Haven't seen that in a while. :)

Ugh, that sucks. :( Sends *no more puking in the house* vibes your way. :lol:

Puke sucks!:angry:

At this point, the only thing I would give Montreal up for is a private meeting with the band.:shifty: I can't wait much longer to meet you girls.

:hmm: We'll think of something. Maybe we could caravan up? We'll be spending the night of the 5th somewhere in SoCal - we could meet for breakfast - pick a place to stop for lunch...?

That might work! We'll talk about it more when it gets closer then. :) I imagine we're going to leave super early that morning so we get to SF at a decent hour. (I just asked Charlie and he wants to leave around 5-6 am.) Caravaning is a good idea. It's just you and your son driving right? (unless I'm remembering wrong :reject: )

Sorry about your barfy house! Yuck! :crack:

Back
Top Bottom