PGP: He's got the submarine AND the gasoline, baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I took myself out for the usual payday treat of sushi. :drool:

So then that hot sake, while it hit the spot, totally made me too tipsy to drive home. (And I only drove because I was too hungry/lazy to wait another 20 minutes for the bus.)

So then I wandered around the shops on the main drag of my neighborhood. And went into Buffalo Exchange, a used clothing store. I usually avoid it because it skews too young for me (think 20 year old hipsters).

So I found really nice waterproof hiking shoes (Clarks Muckers). For $30.

And here I was ready to bring along the dreaded sneakers in case I ended up hiking/walking in anything resembling unpaved road in Ireland.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Then I bought a cupcake. Now I'm home. WHOOOOOOOOOOO! $30 hiking shoes! Waterproof! Clarks! I'm so excited.

G'night, dazz!

I'm retiring to the couch myself, time to watch disc 2 of the first season of Community. I'm so sorry I waited so long to start watching it - it's hilarious!

:wave: zooey

EdgeLibraryLoungewithJohnCusack3-28-2011.jpg

:shifty:

okay, so I'm here in SoCal for a wedding. There's a girl here from grad school who lives in Tennessee. Her man is with her. He used to be a limo driver in Memphis. We were talking about celeb encounters at the rehearsal dinner tonight. He says "When I first started driving a limo, when I was 21 or so, I got to drive U2 around when they were in town on their... um... Lemon tour" I FREAKED! Then.. it gets better... he says "I had the drummer in the back seat..." I don't know what he said after than b/c my brain had exploded.

okay, so I'm here in SoCal for a wedding. There's a girl here from grad school who lives in Tennessee. Her man is with her. He used to be a limo driver in Memphis. We were talking about celeb encounters at the rehearsal dinner tonight. He says "When I first started driving a limo, when I was 21 or so, I got to drive U2 around when they were in town on their... um... Lemon tour" I FREAKED! Then.. it gets better... he says "I had the drummer in the back seat..." I don't know what he said after than b/c my brain had exploded.

That is so cool!! :hyper:

How exciting! :)

Woot, made it through my first week. There was no wine last night sadly, there was only bed. Got up at my usual time today, because I don't want to sleep in and screw myself up while I'm still getting used to the hours. I was in bed by 11 last night. :lol:

The job is very, very complex. The routine stuff itself is complex enough, but beyond that, many clients have unique demands that you have to remember, as well. The HUGE things in this position are attention to detail, good time management skills, and organization. We were talking yesterday, and my supervisor told me that it was clear early on that I have good attention to detail, I pick up on and notice small details easily, and that that's something you can't really teach, either you have it, or you don't. I think that's very true, and luckily, I'm good at that kind of thing (I guess the person I'm taking over for wasn't - I went through some of her work on my 4th day, and found a shitload of errors in just one document, and corrected them - and she'd been there for months. Poor girl, I feel bad for her, the job must have been a struggle for her. But they didn't let her go, they found her a less demanding job within the company, so that was nice of them. :) ).

I can certainly see why they've told me it's a 6 month learning curve. I've barely scratched the surface this week, but so far what I've done, I seem to be good at. :up: And the people still continue to be awesome. I'm in love with my supervisor and co-worker. :love: (The three of us make up a team in a larger department.) And everyone else seems to be super nice and friendly, too. And the company is very employee-oriented.

The only bad part so far is that our work area is SO hot and the air is extremely dry. :( The first few days, I came home with chapped lips. Then my face, which is normally not dry at all, got really bad. Then by the second or third day, my hands started cracking - about as bad as they'd get in the dead of winter during a deep freeze, if I'd spent most of the day doing dishes and laundry and stuff, with my hands in water. That's absolutely brutal. Every day I get really tired between lunch and afternoon break, and it took me till the end of the week to realize that it's because that's when it gets hottest in there, and it's draining and super uncomfortable, physically. I think I'm going to ask if I can bring a small humidifier into my area, and see if that'll help any. I have NO idea why they keep it that hot and dry in there. That's part of the reason I didn't have wine last night is because I already felt dehydrated, and didn't want to make it worse. :(

Hope you're all doing well. :hug:

Glad you're liking the job VP :hug: Sounds like you'll be really good at it.

Maybe they just have the heat up because that's what it was adjusted to for the winter temperatures. As spring comes, hopefully they'll turn it down.

Thanks! I hope so. :hug: There's so much to learn and so many details. :crack: :lol:

And yeah, everyone complains about it when you mention it, they say they go through moisturizer and hand lotion like crazy, but no one's ever really said if it gets better in the summer, or why they need to have it that way. Even my eyes are burning and watery by the end of the day!

So how are you doing? You're done classes now, right? Sarah just has classes on Monday, then she's done. The past two or three weeks have been insane for her. I think she's planning on coming home for a few days next weekend.

Thanks! I hope so. :hug: There's so much to learn and so many details. :crack: :lol:

And yeah, everyone complains about it when you mention it, they say they go through moisturizer and hand lotion like crazy, but no one's ever really said if it gets better in the summer, or why they need to have it that way. Even my eyes are burning and watery by the end of the day!

So how are you doing? You're done classes now, right? Sarah just has classes on Monday, then she's done. The past two or three weeks have been insane for her. I think she's planning on coming home for a few days next weekend.

Maybe if enough people complain, they'll turn the heat down.

I'm doing okay. My classes finished on Thursday. My exams start Monday (I have two that day) and my last one is on the 16th. Then I get two weeks of no school until my spring classes start on May 2nd.

What year is Sarah in? The last few weeks of the semester are always insane for everyone I think :wink: Just having to get all your essays done and starting to study for exams is crazy. Plus doing all the regular readings for classes on top of my part time job :crack:

Maybe if enough people complain, they'll turn the heat down.

I'm doing okay. My classes finished on Thursday. My exams start Monday (I have two that day) and my last one is on the 16th. Then I get two weeks of no school until my spring classes start on May 2nd.

What year is Sarah in? The last few weeks of the semester are always insane for everyone I think :wink: Just having to get all your essays done and starting to study for exams is crazy. Plus doing all the regular readings for classes on top of my part time job :crack:

That's the weird thing though, no one really seems to complain. They're all like "yeah, it sucks, but that's just the way it is in here." Besides the dry skin, I'm prone to nosebleeds when I'm in a really dry environment, so I'd like to do something to prevent that, if possible.

Sarah is in 4th year, but she switched majors after her first, plus she's doing an honours thesis, so she's taking a 5th year. 5 years is fairly typical for honours psych, almost everyone that I knew when I was in the program took 5 years, just because the courses are so demanding, and spreading it out a bit helps you maintain the marks you need for grad school.

Good luck with exams! :hug:

Hey GG! :hug:

That's the weird thing though, no one really seems to complain. They're all like "yeah, it sucks, but that's just the way it is in here." Besides the dry skin, I'm prone to nosebleeds when I'm in a really dry environment, so I'd like to do something to prevent that, if possible.

Sarah is in 4th year, but she switched majors after her first, plus she's doing an honours thesis, so she's taking a 5th year. 5 years is fairly typical for honours psych, almost everyone that I knew when I was in the program took 5 years, just because the courses are so demanding, and spreading it out a bit helps you maintain the marks you need for grad school.

Good luck with exams! :hug:

Hey GG! :hug:

Working in unbearable heat is so uncomfortable. They had the heat up at my work for the winter months which was fine, but over the past couple of weeks it's been grossly hot in there cuz the heat was still up plus there is always a lot of heat coming off the coffee makers, the big toaster, ovens, etc. They finally turned it down a couple days ago.

Good luck vibes to Sarah with her exams :hug: I can't wait to graduate. I took two years off school so I would have been graduated by now. I still have one more year to go. Oh well, it'll all be worth it :D

Working in unbearable heat is so uncomfortable. They had the heat up at my work for the winter months which was fine, but over the past couple of weeks it's been grossly hot in there cuz the heat was still up plus there is always a lot of heat coming off the coffee makers, the big toaster, ovens, etc. They finally turned it down a couple days ago.

Good luck vibes to Sarah with her exams :hug: I can't wait to graduate. I took two years off school so I would have been graduated by now. I still have one more year to go. Oh well, it'll all be worth it :D

I think Sarah loves school, and would stay there forever if she could, she's not anxious to go out into the real world. :lol: Oh well, grad school will take her another 4 or 5 years or so.

Yikes, that would be true about your work, wouldn't it? I worked in a kitchen years ago, and it does get awfully hot. The heat I can adapt to, I just wish there were a little more more moisture in the air. It'd be really dry working your drive thru window on cold days, I would imagine. :crack:

Speaking of poli-sci, the candidate for MP for the NDP party just came to my door. Really nice guy. I was leaning about 90% toward them anyway. He helped me make up my mind. I told him he could go ahead and put a sign on my lawn. :up:

I think Sarah loves school, and would stay there forever if she could, she's not anxious to go out into the real world. :lol: Oh well, grad school will take her another 4 or 5 years or so.

Yikes, that would be true about your work, wouldn't it? I worked in a kitchen years ago, and it does get awfully hot. The heat I can adapt to, I just wish there were a little more more moisture in the air. It'd be really dry working your drive thru window on cold days, I would imagine. :crack:

Speaking of poli-sci, the candidate for MP for the NDP party just came to my door. Really nice guy. I was leaning about 90% toward them anyway. He helped me make up my mind. I told him he could go ahead and put a sign on my lawn. :up:

It's always good when you love what you're doing in school. Good for her :up:
I like school too, most days :wink: I just hate studying for exams and writing essays. But other then that, my classes are great :lol:

That's cool he actually came to your door. We don't get stuff like that in T-Bay. We just get phone calls from people representing candidates in our area.

Papers are much more fun to me than exams, cause I can't study. I work good under pressure so papers on the last day work.

:uhoh: I have a paper due the day I return from the trip. Perhaps I should write it tonight..

See you Kristen, good luck!

GG, I'm pretty well, thanks. Sitting here since 6 am thinking of all the things I have to do this weekend, and not wanting to do them, I just want to spend a day doing nothing. :scream: I haven't cleaned since the day before my interview :reject: and I really need to.

You leave tomorrow?

Hi everyone!

VP, I'm glad you are liking your new job!:up:

Good luck studying Kristen. I look forward to going out when you are done exams!:D

Have a great trip GG. You will be missed!:hug:

It is my son's birthday today. We are doing laser tag. If I don't make it back alive, it was nice knowing you all! :lmao: Actually, the kids usually behave for me because I taught all of them during my supply teaching stint. I haz behaviour management skillz!!:hyper:

zu, that is SUCH an awesome story! :lol: :love:

VP, glad things are going well. :hug: I totally understand about the dry heat bothering you - it gives me nosebleeds as well. That's so strange that people are aware and uncomfortable with how warm it is, but nobody does anything? :lol: I'd be looking for the thermostat so I could turn it down. Hopefully you'll be able to bring in your humidifier.

Have fun at your son's party, Amy! Laser tag is so much fun!! :D

When I woke up this morning my ankle was really stiff and sore. Great. :rolleyes: We've got a group run this morning, but I'm just going to walk again and take it easy. Then hopefully we'll have a nice breakfast out, I'll come to de-gross-ify myself, and then it's off to my parents' place. :)

It's only 10 kids, how bad could that be? :crack:

My hubby is going in for the laser tag, unless things get out of hand, and then I will step in!:lol:

See you Kristen, good luck!

GG, I'm pretty well, thanks. Sitting here since 6 am thinking of all the things I have to do this weekend, and not wanting to do them, I just want to spend a day doing nothing. :scream: I haven't cleaned since the day before my interview :reject: and I really need to.

You leave tomorrow?
6 am? :crack: Woaaa that's not healthy! Why are you up that early?

Perhaps clean a bit of the house now, do nothng for a while and clean the rest latter?

Yup. Gotta be in Amsterdam at 8, means I have to take the 6.55 train. :sad: Do not want to get up at 5.45. Do not want.
Hi everyone!

VP, I'm glad you are liking your new job!:up:

Good luck studying Kristen. I look forward to going out when you are done exams!:D

Have a great trip GG. You will be missed!:hug:

It is my son's birthday today. We are doing laser tag. If I don't make it back alive, it was nice knowing you all! :lmao: Actually, the kids usually behave for me because I taught all of them during my supply teaching stint. I haz behaviour management skillz!!:hyper:

Thanks :D And I'll miss you guys. This place is FAR too addicting.

:giggle: Laser tag? Sounds like fun! Is it a bit like lasergaming?

Back
Top Bottom