PGP: Duck and Cover - Here Comes the Holiday Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad:

Please only open if you want to read some very sad news , don't want to upset anyone :hug:

Just heard my sister in law & brother may lose their baby

She's been bleeding and her cervix is open at 23 weeks , so the baby will be born in the next few days. no way to stop the labour as her blood pressure is too high. the baby has 1 in 4 chance of surviving depending on how developed his/her lungs are

Please pray for them and that if the worst happens they can try again when they're ready

Hi! :wave:

Wild, I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Did you get the flatscreen Toshiba??

I did! I was thinking about it, and thinking about it. I saw the nearest Best Buy now had it in stock (they hadn't when I first started looking), so I went down to check it out.

It fit in my car (I wasn't sure it would), so I have it home now! No idea what to do with the old one - I'll ask around in my apartment building to see if anyone wants it. It's just way too heavy for me to move anywhere other than from one table top to another to get it out of the way.

Amazing - my 10-year old TV is so huge, bulky and heavy. This shiny new one is much bigger, and weighs barely anything at all.

Technology. :drool:

I won't have the true HD screen until next week Monday - the cable company is going to come and swap out my cable box/DVR for an HD one; it's not something I want to mess with myself.

But I'm definitly popping in a U2 DVD tonight. :drool:

Crap, maybe no DVDs yet. The connection thingie on my old TV is a kind that's not on my new one. Poopity-poop.

I think I just need to figure out what kind of cable I do need, but that means another trip to the store. Bah.

:lol: SCART? No idea.

Just ran down to Radio Shack. I had no idea they were still relevant and useful, but the guy there told me exactly what I needed. Now I have it. :heart:

What's that?

Cable that connects tv to dvd/vcr player. :) it's big and chunky, most videogame consoles use it as well. The ending of the cable is a bit like a triangle block with pins. Wait, google's easier on this.

1854scart_cable.jpg

Ah, gotcha. My DVD player doesn't have a connection like that. It's kind of an old one, that I got specifically because it plays PAL and NTSC. Perfect for my U2 bootlegs. :drool:

The guy at Radio Shack was all "You should upgrade to Blu-Ray!"

I'm really not interested in upgrading to Blu-Ray. Not enough of a movie buff to do so. Plus, then all my DVD bootlegs are useless!

Ah, gotcha. My DVD player doesn't have a connection like that. It's kind of an old one, that I got specifically because it plays PAL and NTSC. Perfect for my U2 bootlegs. :drool:

The guy at Radio Shack was all "You should upgrade to Blu-Ray!"

I'm really not interested in upgrading to Blu-Ray. Not enough of a movie buff to do so. Plus, then all my DVD bootlegs are useless!

What kind of connection does it have then? :scratch: SCART is one of the oldest connections still used, I mean, VCR's used it! :lol:

Blu-Ray isn't really worth it imo. There's not that huge of an improvement over dvd and requires a lot of changes in hardware and as you said upgraded blu-ray burners.

my old TV had "S-Video," and this has Component video.

IT WORKS! I threw in a DVD to make sure I'd hooked it up right, and voila! It was a tiny square picture on the screen, which irritated me at first, because I thought maybe I had to start DL-ing HD DVDs only.

Then I realized I can futz with the picture display to make it full-screen. :lol:

YAY! I love it when I'm able to hook up new toys without throwing something or bursting into tears. :lol:

Ugh, I don't understand why I can't figure out to make the audio from my TV come out through my stereo speakers, through the receiver.

It look like it would be so obvious, and yet I can't make it work. My audio with DVDs works correctly, through the receiver instead of the TV .... and yet.

I never was able to figure it out with the old TV, and I can't figure it out now.

BLERG.

Ugh, I don't understand why I can't figure out to make the audio from my TV come out through my stereo speakers, through the receiver.

It look like it would be so obvious, and yet I can't make it work. My audio with DVDs works correctly, through the receiver instead of the TV .... and yet.

I never was able to figure it out with the old TV, and I can't figure it out now.

BLERG.

Maybe a stupid question, but is your tv connected to your speakers? Usually that's done with tulip plugs, white and red.

My speakers are connected to my receiver, so everything that runs through the receiver comes out of the speaker (CD player, DVD player, iPod when connected).

I have the tulip plugs, and there are audio connections on the back of my TV. I think I need to take another look at the back of my receiver ... maybe I'm trying to put them into the wrong place.

The options I have on the reciever where red & white plugs to are: tape (in and out - I usually have the iPod cable plugged in here, in the "out" slots). Video 1, Video 2 and Video 3.

The other options are CD (already where my CD player is plugged in), and DVD (DVD player plugged in here).

I tried both "tape" slots (in and out), and neither worked. I tried all the video slots, and they didn't work.

I have no idea why it won't work.

I GOT IT!

The other end of the cables need to be plugged into the cable box, NOT the TV.

:doh:

Man.

Edit: DAMN. I can't have both the iPod and the cable box plugged in, as they both need the same slots. :(

Shit, that's really crappy. I love playing my iPod through the stereo. And it's way too hard to switch them out.

What a pisser.

I'll keep the TV through the stereo for now. It does sound a LOT better than the speakers on the TV.

Back
Top Bottom