PGP-Dirty dancing into a new thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And, Mr & Mrs Obama? :cute::cute::cute:

I know!!! I've watched it like 4 times since I posted it! I think that politicians (on both sides) have to make so many compromises personally and professionally to get where they are that it's relatively rare to have a genuinely good person as a leader - and I think that Obama is one of those rare exceptions.

As was the NDP leader I've talked about. It's coming up on a year since his death, so he's been mentioned in the media quite a bit, lately. And he and his wife had this epic love story, also. She's also a politician (an NDP MP for a riding/area in the Toronto area), and she's been so full of grace and strength since his death, and I admire the hell out of her. :heart: She was facing the media while he was dying, and immediately after. I saw an interview with her where she said that she took up an old hobby, long distance swimming, after his death, and that when she was swimming, that was when she was able to cry and let it out. Broke my heart. :(

Oh, completely unrelated to anything except what arw was talking about yesterday (?)

MY MOM SAID WE CAN SAVE UP AND GET ME A MACBOOK. :hyper ::hyper::hyper ::hyper::hyper::hyper ::hyper ::hyper ::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Yay!!

my city's little summer festival is this weekend so tonight at 10 was a 20 min firework display. I can see it perfectly from my deck so I skip fireworks on the 4th to wait for this weekend. I think they have them all 3 nights but I went out anyways....just in time to miss team USA thru right now. :grumpy: Oh well...guess that's what you tube is for.

MY MOM SAID WE CAN SAVE UP AND GET ME A MACBOOK. :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

awesome! You will love it :) The day after Thanksgiving is when Apple is most generous :rolleyes: with their products and give up to a 10% discount. So you might be able to save a little if you plan to get it that day. I got a free printer with mine so I can't complain. They had a deal when I got mine that everyone got a $100 voucher for a printer so I picked the one they had for $100. I know friends of mine that are students have gotten a free iPod with their Mac. So if you're planning on getting it from the Apple store do a little research to see if there's any deals before you buy it.

I know!!! I've watched it like 4 times since I posted it! I think that politicians (on both sides) have to make so many compromises personally and professionally to get where they are that it's relatively rare to have a genuinely good person as a leader - and I think that Obama is one of those rare exceptions.

As was the NDP leader I've talked about. It's coming up on a year since his death, so he's been mentioned in the media quite a bit, lately. And he and his wife had this epic love story, also. She's also a politician (an NDP MP for a riding/area in the Toronto area), and she's been so full of grace and strength since his death, and I admire the hell out of her. :heart: She was facing the media while he was dying, and immediately after. I saw an interview with her where she said that she took up an old hobby, long distance swimming, after his death, and that when she was swimming, that was when she was able to cry and let it out. Broke my heart. :(
Obama is awesome. I like him. And I don't generally like politicians.

Aw, that is so sad. I can't imagine being in love like that....

I know! I'm so excited! It probably won't be for a long while (the one I'm on is only a year old at most), but still. :hyper:

Tara, if you're interested, this is from the dvd I'm watching.

Paul McCartney - Band On The Run - Good Evening New York City 2009 - YouTube

It's one on my favourites, too (see - my sig). I think my most favourite of his solo is Maybe I'm Amazed. :heart:

:love:

Maybe I'm Amazed = another all time favorite song of mine!

awesome! You will love it :) The day after Thanksgiving is when Apple is most generous :rolleyes: with their products and give up to a 10% discount. So you might be able to save a little if you plan to get it that day. I got a free printer with mine so I can't complain. They had a deal when I got mine that everyone got a $100 voucher for a printer so I picked the one they had for $100. I know friends of mine that are students have gotten a free iPod with their Mac. So if you're planning on getting it from the Apple store do a little research to see if there's any deals before you buy it.

Oh, shit! I didn't even think of the printer thing.... yea, MacBooks don't work with Canon printers, do they? :sad:

I was IMing with Sarah earlier, and then she said she couldn't talk, this friend of hers, who actually lives in the city where I do, an hour away, came over. this was a few hours ago. Just now, she texted me and said "don't respond to this, but I'm out for drinks with [friend], she broke up with her boyfriend, I'll fill you in later."

I'm shocked at how upsetting this is, they've been together for years, tried to live together but that didn't work, so they both moved back with their parents and went into couples counselling, which I thought was very mature of them and showed an exceptional level of commitment for a couple that age (early 20s), but apparently it didn't work. :( And the one person the male of the couple is close to, a mutual friend, is away in Central America on one of those saving-the-world internships, so, he probably has no one to talk to. I hope they're both okay. :(

Oh, shit! I didn't even think of the printer thing.... yea, MacBooks don't work with Canon printers, do they? :sad:

Macbooks work with everything. All you do is plug in your device and it instantly recognizes it and knows what to do with it. No installing software or anything like that. That's one of the reasons why Macs are so expensive. The printer I got is just a basic HP with a scanner but they sell all the brands. Most Apple stores don't have them all on display but if you ask what printers they sell they can give you a list. They don't sell an "Apple" printer or anything like that if that's what you meant by it not working with a Canon.

No installing software or anything like that. That's one of the reasons why Macs are so expensive.

A lot of PC stuff is "plug and play" now, too. I can't remember the last time I had to install software to get an external device to work with a PC. Not that I do it a lot, I'm mainly talking printers and external hard drives.

A lot of PC stuff is "plug and play" now, too. I can't remember the last time I had to install software to get an external device to work with a PC.

I'd still rather use a Mac. I've had way too many issues with PC's in the past for anyone to ever convince they work better than a Mac.

I'd still rather use a Mac. I've had way too many issues with PC's in the past for anyone to ever convince they work better than a Mac.

If that's your preference, that's totally fine. I just don't get it. I read a report recently that they compile about laptop hardware failures, and Macs come in at about mid-range. For the good reputation they have, I was surprised to see them as low as they are. And one could say that Apple has superior customer service is something does go wrong, and that's probably true.

For me though, the fact that I know my way around computers and can prevent many software/virus/trojan issues (I literally have had one trojan/virus ever, and that was 6 years ago, and due to my own stupid clicking on something I shouldn't have clicked on - and even then, I easily found a fix for it online), and that I can buy three PCs for the price of one iMac, the logical choice for me is PC. :)

Macbooks work with everything. All you do is plug in your device and it instantly recognizes it and knows what to do with it. No installing software or anything like that. That's one of the reasons why Macs are so expensive. The printer I got is just a basic HP with a scanner but they sell all the brands. Most Apple stores don't have them all on display but if you ask what printers they sell they can give you a list. They don't sell an "Apple" printer or anything like that if that's what you meant by it not working with a Canon.

Oh, thank heavens. I got my Canon last year for Christmas, and it's absolutely the best printer/scanner EVAR. :love:

Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MP495 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One (4499B026): Electronics

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking the iMac choice. I guess there's the whole ease of use part of it that's appealing?

But honestly, and this is only personal opinion/observation, it's almost as though Apple has indoctrinated people that their products are superior, and so they can charge outrageous prices for them. When a little bit of googling/knowledge can give you a PC that works just as well at a fraction of the price. :)

Overall, I think laptops, ANY laptops, are a crapshoot, just because of the way they're constructed, vs desktops. Desktops are much easier to cool and clean, leading to fewer issues. But for me (again, only my opinion and comfort level with computers) I would rather get the PC at the third of a price of an iMac and have to replace it a bit more often, if needed. The PC laptop I'm on now cost me $399, and a month or so later, actually went down to $369...and after a year, performance-wise, it's been a dream. It does everything I need it to do, and more. But if something went wrong with it tomorrow, I'd have no problem trashing it and getting a new one if I needed to, as opposed to an iMac that cost $1,000+, where I would expect several years of good performance at that price.

as opposed to an iMac that cost $1,000+, where I would expect several years of good performance at that price.

Um that says it all right there. You get more years of performance from a Mac. The battery on the PC laptops we had? Terrible. My macs? Excellent. Sure, after 5 years I had to replace the battery in one of our macs. But I was abloe to get one for 50 bucks and the Mac is right as rain. Without fail, every PC for the last 7 years has shit the bed for a variety of reasons. So, we are looking at an average of $500 for each laptop at 3-4 laptop/desktop. That's $2000 or more. I've had the same Mac for 5 years with only putting $50 into it for a new battery. To me, that makes sense. My husband likes the speed. Going from his PC laptop that took 10 minutes to start, he loves that the mac is so quick to start and close.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking the iMac choice. I guess there's the whole ease of use part of it that's appealing?

But honestly, and this is only personal opinion/observation, it's almost as though Apple has indoctrinated people that their products are superior, and so they can charge outrageous prices for them. When a little bit of googling/knowledge can give you a PC that works just as well at a fraction of the price. :)

But then you'll have to replace your cheaper PC in a few years. I don't feel that Apple charges more because they can but I do think their products are superior, making it well worth the money for me. My Mac is 2 1/2 years old and it's never given me any issues. I can't say that about any PC I've owned or anyone in my family has owned. My sister and I used to live together using her new $500 laptop that she got right before I moved in. We lived together for 16 months and it was in the shop 3 times. Like I said the other day, my parents had a PC that was hardly used that died less than 2 years after they bought it. My previous computer was a PC that took 20 minutes to start up, even as a fairly new device. So we could debate this all night, but we won't because I'm going to bed now, but I know I made the right choice for my money not only on my computer but on any Apple device I've ever owned.

Overall, I think laptops, ANY laptops, are a crapshoot, just because of the way they're constructed, vs desktops. Desktops are much easier to cool and clean, leading to fewer issues. But for me (again, only my opinion and comfort level with computers) I would rather get the PC at the third of a price of an iMac and have to replace it a bit more often, if needed. The PC laptop I'm on now cost me $399, and a month or so later, actually went down to $369...and after a year, performance-wise, it's been a dream. It does everything I need it to do, and more. But if something went wrong with it tomorrow, I'd have no problem trashing it and getting a new one if I needed to, as opposed to an iMac that cost $1,000+, where I would expect several years of good performance at that price.

Also, when I talk about comfort level, that extends to setting up a computer. Setting up laptops is SO simple now, a child could do it. You literally just follow the on-screen instructions. A co-worker of mine was recently bragging that she got a $1,000+ laptop and had to leave it at the store to be set up. I was thinking "dude, I know your computer abilities. You do not need a $1,000 laptop for anything you might do, and second, you're nuts to pay them to set it up!"

And then once you do have it set up, you can go to this site:

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Check off the software you want installed on it, and it will do it automatically.

Perhaps the most important piece of advice nowadays for avoiding viruses/trojans/nasty things is to use either Firefox or Chrome as your browser, and to get the Ad-Aware blocker on it. Sometimes ads on various sites you visit will contain viruses/trojans, and you can get them just by the ad loading, you don't even need to click on it.

As far as virus protection goes, I've only ever used free ones - McAfee and the rest are memory hogs and don't protect as well as some of the free ones. The current best free one for PC is actually Microsoft Security Essentials, which is totally free.

But then you'll have to replace your cheaper PC in a few years. I don't feel that Apple charges more because they can but I do think their products are superior, making it well worth the money for me. My Mac is 2 1/2 years old and it's never given me any issues. I can't say that about any PC I've owned or anyone in my family has owned. My sister and I used to live together using her new $500 laptop that she got right before I moved in. We lived together for 16 months and it was in the shop 3 times. Like I said the other day, my parents had a PC that was hardly used that died less than 2 years after they bought it. My previous computer was a PC that took 20 minutes to start up, even as a fairly new device. So we could debate this all night, but we won't because I'm going to bed now, but I know I made the right choice for my money not only on my computer but on any Apple device I've ever owned.

I've also had PCs that have lasted me 2 1/2 years with no issues, that only cost $400-ish. many relatives of mine, their current PC devices have lasted at least three years. But every laptop purchased is a crapshoot, and if you're happy with yours, that's all that matters. :)

ok so if something goes wrong with it one year after you bought it, I can only assume you're next one will die one year later as well and will need to be replaced, so now you've spent in 3 years more than what I spent on my computer.

ok so if something goes wrong with it one year after you bought it, I can only assume you're next one will die one year later as well and will need to be replaced, so now you've spent in 3 years more than what I spent on my computer.

But I've never had one die in one year! And neither has anyone else that I know. if it was under one year, it would be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, anyway.

Seriously, my computers last me three years, on average, I could get them fixed after the three years, but I figure by then it's more cost effective to replace it. And so, in 10 years, I could have three PCs for the price of one iMac. Do iMacs last 10 years?

But I've never had one die in one year! And neither has anyone else that I know. if it was under one year, it would be covered by the manufacturer's warranty, anyway.

Seriously, my computers last me three years, on average, I could get them fixed after the three years, but I figure by then it's more cost effective to replace it. And so, in 10 years, I could have three PCs for the price of one iMac. Do iMacs last 10 years?

That's also why it's insane to purchase an extended warranty on any computer, be it from the store you bought it from (where they tend to PUSH them, ugh) or the manufacturer. If you google it, many studies have shown that the odds are, you'll come out WAY ahead by not buying the extended warranty, and paying for any minor repairs that may come up within that time yourself. If it's a major repair, trash the computer and get a new one. if you buy wisely and cheaply, you'll come out ahead in the longrun. Odds are in your favour, you'll be ahead by not buying the warranty. That's why they push them, because they're cost effective for the store. And that goes for any electronics, not just computers.

:hug: I feel guilty for bitching when you're having to deal with all your stuff! Not sure if it's any comfort, but I think about you all the time. :hug: I hope you enjoy your time at home, even if it's brief.

Tara :wave: How are things?

No problem at all! This is the place for everyone to come bitch if you need to and feel better. :hug: And thanks. :hug:

Sorry to go off on a random topic...but did anyone see the opening ceremony?

I'm watching now. Only on the athletes entering now. That was crazy shit in the opener. :lol: Giant Voldemorts and Hobbitses??! :ohmy: Wowwwwwww....

Doing one last drive-by for the night. Didn't watch the Opening Ceremony, since I was working, but my mom texted me to say that they've taped it and they'll watch it with me when I visit them next weekend. Awesome!! :up:

Our work event tonight was SO much fun - oh. my god. There were 2 tribute bands - one for Johnny Cash (not bad), and Elvis (oh holy jeebus he was amazing, and I totally wanted to jump his bones). :lmao: I took several pics/videos that I'll have to upload at the end of the weekend, because my phone is dead and needs to be charged. It was so fun to dance around like an idiot. Plus, SO many more people showed up than we'd expected. We were HOPING for 100 but thought maybe 50 might come. Nope - we had upwards of 400!! :up: So cool. And tomorrow's the big bike rally which is going to be such a blast. Tons of awesome motorcycles and bikers. :D

But now I have to pass out because I have to get up super early and work all day long. :) Hope you're all having a good weekend so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom